Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm not trying to be islamophobic. It's just that Russia is hella anti Islam so much so that they released refugees in Lithuania to destabilize things as part of a racist narrative. And actively curb any non chech islamist movement in the country. So for them to utilize mercs, who are most likely sunnis is insane and shows they are completely full of poo poo.

They're actually very very likely to not be Sunni if they're Assad regime loyalists, not that it matters anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Man, the Ukrainian telegram channel has been brutal over the last couple days or so.

I am not buying the attitude in the press that relatively little has been happening because there has been a sharp uptick in dead and captured Russians coming from Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

While I am sure Putin has no specific love for Muslims I have heard he has always been curiously quiet and gentle about Islamic issues in Russia (probably since it's the second largest faith after Russian Orthodoxy and has strong regional concentrations) compared to how people talk about that poo poo in the West.

It’s a part of gentleman’s agreement with Kadyrov.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yet.

If this war expands somehow to including NATO action or something that gets Americans killed, I'd see Tucker going on a surprised indefinite vacation.

Why would he? Dude has been front and center of other stuff that got Americans killed without consequence.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://nltimes.nl/2022/03/13/russian-priests-amsterdam-leave-moscow-patriarchate

quote:

Russian priests in Amsterdam leave Moscow Patriarchate

The Russian Orthodox parish in Amsterdam announced Saturday it will no longer function within the Moscow Patriarchate and has asked the archbishop of the diocese of The Hague and the Netherlands to grant canonical dismissal.

The parish’s four priests and deacon unanimously decided it was no longer possible to “provide a spiritually safe climate” for their congregants within the Moscow Patriarchate and have requested to be included in a different diocese. They called the decision “extremely painful and difficult” in an announcement on the parish’s website.

The decision comes after the parish expressed its disagreement with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, who gave his “full support” for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The parish also objected to priests in Russia being punished for supporting peace. The Netherlands’ archbishop subsequently paid a “threatening,” unannounced visit to the parish in a diplomatic car, which sources believed belonged to the Russian embassy, according to the Nederlands Dagblad.

The archbishop allegedly told them, "There is great interest in your church.” The priests understood this as an implicit threat, sources told the Nederlands Dagblad.

The parish council supports the priests and deacon in their request and will hold a special parish meeting on March 26. Until that time, no services will be held in the church. This is in part due to safety concerns –– parish members have received multiple threats and the church building was vandalized on Tuesday with a controversial pro-Russian symbol, according to Nederlands Dagblad.

“In this extremely tense situation, it would be virtually impossible to achieve the prayerful atmosphere we strive for during services,” the announcement said of the decision.

Minister of Justice and Security Dilan Yeşilgöz-Zegerius visited the parish on Saturday. She called the parish’s stance “impressive.”

Are there other priests leaving the Moscow Patriarchate? This is the first I have heard of.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nessus posted:

While I am sure Putin has no specific love for Muslims I have heard he has always been curiously quiet and gentle about Islamic issues in Russia (probably since it's the second largest faith after Russian Orthodoxy and has strong regional concentrations) compared to how people talk about that poo poo in the West.

I'm sure being more vocal about domestic issues with respect to Russian Muslims would make his machinations in the Middle East much trickier to pull off.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
It seems like there air raid sirens across a lot of territories tonight. ~19 posted to https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1503173386704506883

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
re: the 200 vehicle convoy supposedly eliminated

https://twitter.com/IntelArrow/status/1503143922226405379

also, apparently magomed tushaev is alive and well, so i guess that's another reminder to take stuff you hear from either side with a grain of salt unless there is corroborating evidence

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

https://nltimes.nl/2022/03/13/russian-priests-amsterdam-leave-moscow-patriarchate

Are there other priests leaving the Moscow Patriarchate? This is the first I have heard of.

Can't speak about the Moscow Patriarchate, because the Romanian church is independent, but we have the world's 3rd largest Eastern Orthodox population after Russia and Ukraine. A week ago, the Romanian Patriarch took a hard stance against the war, calling it "a war started by Russia against an independent state".

Then they doubled down and said that Moscow’s Orthodox Patriarch Kiril is “an opulent, patriarch who has resigned from moral and Christian principles through his cynical complicity with the assassin politician and by his association with the most hideous things that the antichrist, who mimics faith in God and patriotism, is capable of committing with atrocity.”

Local priests have played a major role in receiving and helping Ukrainian refugees at the border. I rarely have anything good to say about the Romanian church, but in this case they made a good showing.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/ZidanSports/status/1503057741333471232

Can't confirm that this really is from today, but I can't imagine the Chechens care about faking it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This was linked on Twitter as a really good explanation of the exact effects of a nuclear weapon. It's a BBC documentary episode from 1982 called 'Q.E.D - A Guide to Armageddon - Nuclear War Documentary'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJttnC8PoA
It watches like a horror movie. Very well done, but I'm having to take breaks to get through it. It's from 1982, so nothing gory with special effects other than some makeup burns, but the subject matter is intense.

Edit: To make this on topic and not just depressing, have the extreme copium thread of a scholar in Moscow. I was reading this as he posted and it's absolutely astounding.
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1503152242744045568?s=20&t=m60QT4StSD-v6WkTIP9QYQ

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 14, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Murderous thugs

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1503083214025465861?s=20&t=mofE-BlCepeNh9nzGIEzNw
    Russian soldiers have shot people dead in the street as they took over Ukrainian villages, according to fleeing residents.

Soldiers shot randomly at buildings, threw grenades down roads and went from house to house confiscating phones and laptops, witnesses said.

Online groups created for family members or friends looking for information about people in affected areas are receiving hundreds or even thousands of requests a day.

One witness, Mykola, described how soldiers arrived in Andriivka, a village near Kyiv. “They threw grenades down the street. One man lost his leg and the next day this person died,” he said. “They then came down the central street and started shooting at the windows and hit one woman. Her children managed to hide.”

Mykola lived within walking distance of his brother, Dymtro. “My brother came out the house with his hands in the air. They beat him and then executed him in the street,” he said.

Dymtro’s wife said she saw the killing of her husband from a window. She said she also witnessed their neighbour being killed in the same manner. Dymtro’s daughter believes both were shot because they had earlier helped the Ukrainian army as volunteers.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rinkles posted:

Murderous thugs

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1503083214025465861?s=20&t=mofE-BlCepeNh9nzGIEzNw
    Russian soldiers have shot people dead in the street as they took over Ukrainian villages, according to fleeing residents.

Soldiers shot randomly at buildings, threw grenades down roads and went from house to house confiscating phones and laptops, witnesses said.

Online groups created for family members or friends looking for information about people in affected areas are receiving hundreds or even thousands of requests a day.

One witness, Mykola, described how soldiers arrived in Andriivka, a village near Kyiv. “They threw grenades down the street. One man lost his leg and the next day this person died,” he said. “They then came down the central street and started shooting at the windows and hit one woman. Her children managed to hide.”

Mykola lived within walking distance of his brother, Dymtro. “My brother came out the house with his hands in the air. They beat him and then executed him in the street,” he said.

Dymtro’s wife said she saw the killing of her husband from a window. She said she also witnessed their neighbour being killed in the same manner. Dymtro’s daughter believes both were shot because they had earlier helped the Ukrainian army as volunteers.
I don’t understand. Where are the armed partisans. Why isn’t anyone shooting back?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t understand. Where are the armed partisans. Why isn’t anyone shooting back?

Ukraine is not America, there are not 2.3 billion guns per child.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Young Freud posted:

Melitopol is the way station before the Russian army's supply lines go onto Mariupol. A military disaster of that magnitude would break the siege.

(CW: memorial for someone extrajudicially killed)
https://twitter.com/annalandre/status/1503073492597628928?s=20&t=2RQpN03jdKSvbEvODUbHgw Nothing :nws: but it's bound to piss you off
Ukrainian disability activist killed in his own home by Russian soldiers.

Rinkles posted:

Murderous thugs

like war is hell and civilians die but this poo poo is loving. these fuckers can't win a battle so they start going after civilians and others. these fucks really are loving chuds. they are loving cowards who loving run from gunfire and die in droves but when it comes to civilians its loving murder time. gently caress em.

Judakel posted:

https://twitter.com/ZidanSports/status/1503057741333471232

Can't confirm that this really is from today, but I can't imagine the Chechens care about faking it.

well lets hope they rectify that mistake.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I saw something recently about russia blowing up a NATO airbase, how screwed are we?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

they probably are but its probably isolated cases. plus the Ukrainian army/reserves are still intact and fighting. partisan poo poo usually kicks up later.

Flesnolk posted:

I saw something recently about russia blowing up a NATO airbase, how screwed are we?

no it was a ukranian base 15 miles from poland.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

If that actually happened you would know it.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Edit: To make this on topic and not just depressing, have the extreme copium thread of a scholar in Moscow. I was reading this as he posted and it's absolutely astounding.
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1503152242744045568?s=20&t=m60QT4StSD-v6WkTIP9QYQ

Honestly thought his name was a play on Max Suck off and it was a parody of a shill....

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kraftwerk posted:

It may be possible that these troops are acting like this BECAUSE they've come across armed partisans earlier.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Zak2k12 posted:

Can't speak about the Moscow Patriarchate, because the Romanian church is independent, but we have the world's 3rd largest Eastern Orthodox population after Russia and Ukraine. A week ago, the Romanian Patriarch took a hard stance against the war, calling it "a war started by Russia against an independent state".

Then they doubled down and said that Moscow’s Orthodox Patriarch Kiril is “an opulent, patriarch who has resigned from moral and Christian principles through his cynical complicity with the assassin politician and by his association with the most hideous things that the antichrist, who mimics faith in God and patriotism, is capable of committing with atrocity.”

Local priests have played a major role in receiving and helping Ukrainian refugees at the border. I rarely have anything good to say about the Romanian church, but in this case they made a good showing.

I mean none of this is surprising really, the Russian church isn't the center of the denomination or anything, just of their branch. Even the actual center (Constantinople) isn't much of a center anyway what with the "first among equals" deal.
It's kind of like the Moscow Patriarchate is being treated like the one cousin in the family that just got arrested for domestic abuse and a DUI.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Tomn posted:

It may be possible that these troops are acting like this BECAUSE they've come across armed partisans earlier.
With any luck, they won't walk away from their next encounter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

KitConstantine posted:

This was linked on Twitter as a really good explanation of the exact effects of a nuclear weapon. It's a BBC documentary episode from 1982 called 'Q.E.D - A Guide to Armageddon - Nuclear War Documentary'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJttnC8PoA
It watches like a horror movie. Very well done, but I'm having to take breaks to get through it. It's from 1982, so nothing gory with special effects other than some makeup burns, but the subject matter is intense.

i'm still not optimistic about ukraine's long term chances and think that a lot of folks are putting too much stock in ukrainian friendly sources, but my god is this the pendulum swinging too far the other way. he might as well claim that the russians have actually occupied all major cities in the country last week and any reports to the contrary are nazi propaganda

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm still not optimistic about ukraine's long term chances and think that a lot of folks are putting too much stock in ukrainian friendly sources, but my god is this the pendulum swinging too far the other way. he might as well claim that the russians have actually occupied all major cities in the country last week and any reports to the contrary are nazi propaganda

my view is this is Russia's war to lose and i think they very well may lose it and at this point they won't be able to hold the country anyway even if they somehow get their poo poo together and some how take kyve after battle of Stalingrad 2.0, the war won't end for them. they are loving doing war crimes in the areas that were supposed to be friendly to them. their country is going to have super negative economy and their army got hosed on some many levels that its probably gonna implode if it tries a big offensive.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Flesnolk posted:

Did not happen. If that had happened you would not have ‘just saw something recently,’ you would know about it, and if you live in a NATO state, you would be at war—a very dangerous war.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I don't think anyone really knows. Everything depends on how the Russian military can fix its supply issues. The expectation was that they would absolutely crush the Ukrainian forces but so far they haven't. Already low troop morale is being depleted by supply disruptions making any continued gains extremely hard. If this is not resolved, the attack will collapse. However, if Russian generals figure out a magic fix for the supply lines and regroup, they will methodically overwhelm the Ukrainian military just by inching the artillery forward each day with coordinated ground and air support.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to get a precise picture of the current state of morale in all of the Russian battle groups, how bad their supplies really are, and whether it's been getting better or worse.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 14, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Did not happen. If that had happened you would not have ‘just saw something recently,’ you would know about it, and if you live in a NATO state, you would be at war—a very dangerous war.

Cool, thanks; I’m feeling very sick today and this thread gets a new 200 pages every five minutes, so I thought I’d just ask instead of doing sleuthing that I don’t feel well enough for rn

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SirTagz posted:

I don't think I have seen this posted ITT. Great read...

https://twitter.com/ramez/status/1502895847301812224

quote:

The United States would regain leadership in the Western world, and the West would become more united. At present, public opinion believes that the Ukrainian war signifies a complete collapse of U.S. hegemony, but the war would in fact bring France and Germany, both of which wanted to break away from the U.S., back into the NATO defense framework, destroying Europe’s dream to achieve independent diplomacy and self-defense. Germany would greatly increase its military budget; Switzerland, Sweden, and other countries would abandon their neutrality. With Nord Stream 2 put on hold indefinitely, Europe’s reliance on US natural gas will inevitably increase. The US and Europe would form a closer community of shared future, and American leadership in the Western world will rebound.

This part makes no sense to me. Who in the world thinks this war = “the complete collapse of the U.S. hegemony”? Why would Switzerland choose to abandon official neutrality now when they didn’t during WW2?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia will demand that NATO receeds to its pre-1997 borders

They already made that demand. And NATO told Russia to go get hosed. I don't think anyone expected them to actually go and do it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

This part makes no sense to me. Who in the world thinks this war = “the complete collapse of the U.S. hegemony”? Why would Switzerland choose to abandon official neutrality now when they didn’t during WW2?

There's the same fundamental misconception of the US-EU relationship, which is treated as US hegemony over Europe when it's better to think of it as a symbiotic relationship between two power blocs. That's really a consistent theme for a lot of international thinkers outside the West; ironically it was really only Russia's misinformation campaign that seemed to grasp it to drive a wedge between the blocs.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

SirTagz posted:

I don't think I have seen this posted ITT. Great read...

https://twitter.com/ramez/status/1502895847301812224

Author has extensive links to the United Front, the CCP's overseas influence organization (say long time China analysts). The implication being is that the monograph was produced to influence overseas audiences. Honestly I don't know how this changes the "read". But also, with China, as with Russia, best to watch what they do rather than what they publicly say.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Boris Galerkin posted:

The answer is Chinese chuds. They view Europe as a series of American client states and a direct attack on Ukraine, in the view of some, is Russia thumbing its nose at the US and revealing its impotence and inability to protect their sphere.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tomn posted:

The answer is Chinese chuds. They view Europe as a series of American client states and a direct attack on Ukraine, in the view of some, is Russia thumbing its nose at the US and revealing its impotence and inability to protect their sphere.

I mean if this guy got this part so wrong then is their analysis even worth a drat?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ultra Carp

Tomn posted:

It's the same thing that happens literally any time poorly disciplined soldiers with guns run around in a war zone: they shoot at anything that seems even vaguely frightening, resistant to authority, or (for the 19 year old psychopaths in attendance) just seem like a fun thing to shoot.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kinda the same view as American chuds (the ones not outright on Russia's side): if America was STRONG then Russia wouldn't have dared do something they disapproved of.

A lot of people think fear is the best and only form of soft power a country needs.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Antillie posted:

They already made that demand. And NATO told Russia to go get hosed. I don't think anyone expected them to actually go and do it.

Putin isn't going to stop until he is dead or exiled to Elba. This is the loving guy who's been a baddie since day one. He now has failed to take Ukraine but must resolutely conquer other states anyways. The restoration of the empire isn't going to stop and Russia wants to leave Ukraine in a non-functioning state if it can and setup for a future invasion. That's the whole "oh de weaponize the country proclaim you'll never join NATO and we'll cya in 12 years! "

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean if this guy got this part so wrong then is their analysis even worth a drat?

People are stupid, and it's useful to know what type of stupid they are. This is an interesting look at a Chinese flavor of stupid.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3428024-enemy-aircraft-bomb-sviatohirsk-lavra-in-donetsk-region.html
The 500-year-old Sviatohirsk Lavra got shelled this evening, the church avoided a direct hit but most of the windows were broken and nearby monastery buildings destroyed It sheltered over 500 people, no word on number of dead/wounded. It's tucked up into a mountain well away from any military targets, no reason to target it except pure cruelty.

This is (or was) the Sviatohirsk Lavra:

:(

No deaths, thank god https://myc.news/politika/svyatogorsk_vrag_nanes_udar_po_svyatogorskoj_lavre_gde_pryatalis_bezhency
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1502961935310102532

Russian sources, of course, claim this was an act by terrorist groups unaffiliated with the Russian military. Sure.

Another cathedral was hit last night at Severodonestk, the Holy Christ-Christmas Cathedral, also being used as a bomb shelter. No deaths, but several injuries due to broken glass.

https://twitter.com/kanalukraine_en/status/1502980503900676098

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Boris Galerkin posted:

He is responding to an opinion very common in Chinese commentary, and sadly I can say that he is right; it is very common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

He's not making that argument, he's saying that's a popular opinion in China (and that he disagrees with it).

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 14, 2022