Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Do the Deaths at 15m on the new stage count as Deaths for unlocking Red Death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh my god finally

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Hyper dairy factory was not the place to get the evolved pentagram achievement. First death in a long time :unsmith:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
New character with Laurel and Clock Lancet is pretty silly, the entire screen is frozen and I was up to 6 deaths before any got through without even moving.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Maybe I can finally kill death

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gorgeous Moon should play the baseball song

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How do I unlock the new stage and character?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

new character = level Pentagram up to 7

new stage = unlock 3 Hyper stages; I already had 3 and this one unlocked as soon as I finished a game

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This moon thing makes it easy to stand there motionless and let the xp come to you. Very handy when you are maxed out at like 16:00 and don't feel like doing anything else for the next 14:00.

edit: Until the wicked witch boss makes it past your defenses while you aren't paying attention. :lol:

withak fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 13, 2022

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This is my best attempt on the new stage by far. Early Rune Tracer really let me rack up the XP until the chest spawned.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

err posted:

How do I unlock the new stage and character?

It's on the beta test branch (or still was as of earlier today), so you need to enable that.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hello Sailor posted:

It's on the beta test branch (or still was as of earlier today), so you need to enable that.

Oh, that's what I was missing. I kept wondering what people were talking about. :tipshat:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
The patch has been live since around 3pm eastern, no need for beta.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, that's why I don't bother with opting in to the beta. With such a rapid dev cycle, I'm sure I'll see it soon and I'd rather get the finished product.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got this game because literally every single one of my friends is playing it and here are my opinions from 9 hours.

1) Cooldown reduction is busted and I hope they never "fix" it.
2) The knife sucks at first but gets noticably more hilarious with each rank.
3) I wish I'd noticed earlier that Runetracer bounces off the screen sides and not just terrain.

Now is there something special to evolving weapons? I've done some evolves but I haven't figured out what the criteria is for whether a weapon can evolve or not.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

njsykora posted:

I got this game because literally every single one of my friends is playing it and here are my opinions from 9 hours.

2) The knife sucks at first but gets noticably more hilarious with each rank.
3) I wish I'd noticed earlier that Runetracer bounces off the screen sides and not just terrain.

Now is there something special to evolving weapons? I've done some evolves but I haven't figured out what the criteria is for whether a weapon can evolve or not.

Most weapons have an evolution at this point, to do so you need to level the weapon to max and then be holding a specific passive when you open a chest. Runetracer is good but one of the few that has no evolution for now. Basically everything is "broken" in terms of power, if you get three or four evolved weapons you can usually make it to 30 minutes by standing still.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

njsykora posted:

Weapon evolve requirements:
1) Have the weapon(s) at max level.
2) Have the passive item (if applicable) at any level.
3) Open a chest dropped by a boss that spawned 10 minutes or more into the run.

Every weapon that can evolve has a single specific passive item that allows it to do so, except for two weapons that each require the other. For that last requirement: note that it doesn’t matter when the chest spawned. If a boss spawns before the 10 minute mark, its chest will not be able to evolve a weapon regardless of when the boss died.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 13, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The new pentagram is really really nice

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ariong posted:

3) Open a chest dropped by a boss that spawned 10 minutes or more into the run.
I thought there was a time limit but I swear I've had things evolve earlier than 10 minutes.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

I thought there was a time limit but I swear I've had things evolve earlier than 10 minutes.

I've noticed on the milk map and when Green Acres is following the milk map's gimmicks, items will evolve before the 10 minute mark so it could be that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Patch notes say "a new major game mechanic is coming in April" so that'll be fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

vampires confirmed

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

Cooldown reduction has the benefit of getting more powerful the more of it you have. With for example the duplicator, if you have 4 projectiles, +2 projectiles make you deal x1,5 damage, while if you have 8 projectiles, you only get x1,25 damage. The same goes for Spinach, at +0% damage +50% means you now deal x1,5 damage, but with a character like Antonio with already +50% damage, additional +50% damage only makes you deal x1,33 damage. Cooldown reduction instead gets stronger and stronger the more you already have.

Some weapons also benefit from some bonuses far more than the text implies. Lightning benefits from area squared and the cross has its distance before returning determined by projectile speed squared. Other weapons benefit far less than implied. For example, the Bible benefits from both increased duration and reduced cooldown, but only until it's constantly active as it refuses to have multiple sets active (exception being when it levels up).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crystalgate posted:

Cooldown reduction has the benefit of getting more powerful the more of it you have. With for example the duplicator, if you have 4 projectiles, +2 projectiles make you deal x1,5 damage, while if you have 8 projectiles, you only get x1,25 damage. The same goes for Spinach, at +0% damage +50% means you now deal x1,5 damage, but with a character like Antonio with already +50% damage, additional +50% damage only makes you deal x1,33 damage. Cooldown reduction instead gets stronger and stronger the more you already have.

Some weapons also benefit from some bonuses far more than the text implies. Lightning benefits from area squared and the cross has its distance before returning determined by projectile speed squared. Other weapons benefit far less than implied. For example, the Bible benefits from both increased duration and reduced cooldown, but only until it's constantly active as it refuses to have multiple sets active (exception being when it levels up).
The reason I love runetracer is it stacks with everything. Cooldown? Duration? Area? Speed? Damage? Projectiles?

Arguably movement speed actively makes it worse but otherwise.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Crystalgate posted:

-snip-
For example, the Bible benefits from both increased duration and reduced cooldown, but only until it's constantly active as it refuses to have multiple sets active (exception being when it levels up).

Dunno bout that. On Dommario and Poppea I've seen two sets of bibles at once, and suspect a third might be possible with enough cooldown/duration.
Nice for coverage, but Vespers one set tends to outperform em anyways.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 13, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arcanuse posted:

Dunno bout that. On Dommario and Poppea I've seen two sets of bibles at once, and suspect a third might be possible with enough cooldown/duration.
Nice for coverage, but Vespers one set tends to outperform em anyways.
When you take a Bible upgrade it will layer the new Bible set over the old active one until it expires, it may have been that. It definitely doesn't do it for the evolved one.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

just gave it a test on the new map: With a L35 Poppea, L5 Spellbinder, and the cooldown/duration upgrades from the shop, coming in at -5% Cooldown and +114% Duration it kicks in.
Briefly, mind, but think this about the minimum to see it in the first place.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The evolved Pentagram is amazing. Not all too practical, especially considering how much of a liability low-level pentagram is, but so pretty and satisfying. :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't know about this not-having-to-pick-up-gems business

it feels unnatural

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Splicer posted:

When you take a Bible upgrade it will layer the new Bible set over the old active one until it expires, it may have been that. It definitely doesn't do it for the evolved one.

you can definitely also get enough cooldown reduction and duration so that the bibles briefly overlay each other as they kick off again before having expired.

usually you need to intentionally avoid upgrading to vespers though in order to see it except for a very short while

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hwurmp posted:

I don't know about this not-having-to-pick-up-gems business

it feels unnatural
In my day we had to pick up every gem by hand both ways

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

12 rats tied together posted:

you can definitely also get enough cooldown reduction and duration so that the bibles briefly overlay each other as they kick off again before having expired.

usually you need to intentionally avoid upgrading to vespers though in order to see it except for a very short while

I had a Poppea game where I wasn't able to get Spellbinder. By the end I had well over 100% duration and CD reduction from the Tome, and there absolutely were two sets of Bibles up about 60% of the time.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Did a little bit of testing in Library. Using Arca for the most cooldown reduction possible, with level 6 tome, evolved Pentagram fires every 24 seconds. The wind-up (where it zaps single enemies or small areas on the screen every so often) also one-shot the 20:00 boss, which seems odd. The after-explosion vacuum almost always gave me at least two levels' worth of exp and frequently three.

Pretty good run but without being able to cheat level 6 tome I have no idea how useful it will be in other zones. That's a long time not firing to take up a weapon slot.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

bartolimu posted:

Did a little bit of testing in Library. Using Arca for the most cooldown reduction possible, with level 6 tome, evolved Pentagram fires every 24 seconds. The wind-up (where it zaps single enemies or small areas on the screen every so often) also one-shot the 20:00 boss, which seems odd. The after-explosion vacuum almost always gave me at least two levels' worth of exp and frequently three.

Pretty good run but without being able to cheat level 6 tome I have no idea how useful it will be in other zones. That's a long time not firing to take up a weapon slot.

max cool down is actually new character Christine, as she has a natural -25% (and then another 5% from shop) whereas Arca maxes out at 15 + 5%

or at least that's my understanding

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have experienced the maxed out Pentagram now. As in I currently have a Library run at 23 minutes going. I haven't touched the controller since 19 minutes and I don't see myself doing anything more than confirming level up gold until 30.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nesuferit just pushed through your knockback & killed you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Nesuferit just pushed through your knockback & killed you

How dare you imply I wasn't still paying attention and had left the desk to go make a cup of tea and yes that's exactly what happened.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

So... is there a more up to date guide on how to kill Death, or am I just doing something wrong? The past few times I've tried, I've been unable to kill him before more start spawning in, which is fine until they start pushing each other through the bookcases...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mazerunner posted:

max cool down is actually new character Christine, as she has a natural -25% (and then another 5% from shop) whereas Arca maxes out at 15 + 5%

or at least that's my understanding
I got to 18 seconds with Christine and level 5 tome. Sadly I only got one tome spawn so I couldn't get level 6. Still, it's pretty neat. I managed my weapon levels to guarantee Pentagram evolution at 10:00 and didn't move again until 25:00 except to pick up chests.

That said, Song of Mana was the hero for most of the run.

Unfortunately I had to take garlic early as a desperation survival bid and that ended up biting me in the rear end. The 25:00 boss doesn't give a gently caress about Pentagram. I didn't have the damage and with 10 curse I couldn't outrun him. So...

But yeah. 18 seconds is the timing with level 5 tome and Christine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Having 6 tomes doesn't actually do anything, if you check the cooldown value it won't change. You can even pick up more than one as a "Level 6" upgrade.

serefin99 posted:

So... is there a more up to date guide on how to kill Death, or am I just doing something wrong? The past few times I've tried, I've been unable to kill him before more start spawning in, which is fine until they start pushing each other through the bookcases...

Same thing still works, no changes have been made. It always involved a bit of luck so keep trying. Red Death is very fun!