Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russian Embassy to the Netherlands decided this morning it would be a good time to share an interview where its ambassador uses internet comments as evidence that the pregnant woman who died overnight after being crush in the Mariupol maternity hospital bombing was a crisis actor
https://twitter.com/rusembassynl/status/1503313926544633860
The grossness begins about 2:40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm sure those people and the dead pregnant lady are glad a couple of nazis died so their sacrifice was not in vain.
I had to unfollow a bunch of “leftists” because they would post stuff like “Don’t👏collaborate👏with👏nazis👏” when news like this would be posted.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Has Russia run out of fuel yet? I heard that would be happening negative one week ago. Is that convoy still 'stuck', or have they dispersed to forward positions?

For what it's worth, the majority of leftists i've seen 'owning the libs' don't think it's good that Russia invaded. They aren't pro-Russia, there's no delusion that they are a communist nor leftward country. They do, however, believe that this war is not winnable in any way for Ukraine, and the longer they wait to negotiate a surrender, the worse their bargaining position becomes. You can post a cool drone video in response but every map-even the ones that near-exclusively use Ukrainian MoD data like ISW and MilitaryLand-show that Russia is steadily advancing. This is less "Fight for what's right using effective resistance" and more "driving your used van into the White House gates to save Yemen". Snake Island was fake, Ghost of Kyiv was fake, that second-in command to Kadyrov alleged killed has apparently shown up again, Ukraine has a history of loudly fudging their casualties. It's extremely obvious that what we're seeing on social media, from Ukraine's MoD, from Bellingcat, does not match up with the reality on the ground.

I really don't understand this constant defeatism from the (tankist) left. Either straight up Puting stanning or at the very least portraying the Ukrainian struggle as harmul or meaningless. Is the fight and struggle against tyranny and oppression not supposed to be the good and right thing to do? Are they really so brokebrained that absolutely anything that the US supports must be opposed, even if it means supporting Putin or making GBS threads on Ukrainian independence?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had to unfollow a bunch of “leftists” because they would post stuff like “Don’t👏collaborate👏with👏nazis👏” when news like this would be posted.

Yeah, if I’m in an existential struggle, I’m working with whoever the gently caress is shooting at my enemy (provided they’re not doing war crimes on the people we’re protecting). We can shoot each other when we’re sure there’s a tomorrow for the country as a whole.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

tehinternet posted:

So the leftist take on an imperialist nation invading your county is to not fight because civilians will die

So they should surrender to the imperialist autocrat who regularly abuses/disappears his people

I mean I can understand avoiding war at all costs but Ukraine wasn’t really given a choice in the matter and Russia is not a great place to be associated with compared to the EU.

E: honestly, the feeling I get from most internet leftists (and I’d call myself a leftist) is that they just want to see Europe suffer because of awful poo poo they’ve done in the past. Never mind that Europe is morally in the right here.

As someone who leans to the left, I can't understand that position. Peace is preffered, but when you are being attacked by a foreign invader it is time to fight back. As for people who want Europe to suffer for past crimes, that's a gross argument. People are not responsible for the sins of their ancestors.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, if I’m in an existential struggle, I’m working with whoever the gently caress is shooting at my enemy (provided they’re not doing war crimes on the people we’re protecting). We can shoot each other when we’re sure there’s a tomorrow for the country as a whole.

Posting memes of guys who fought wars(Lenin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Castro, etc) from inferior positions and ended up winning while suggesting that Ukraine should surrender because it's in an inferior position is a hell of a move.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

bad_fmr posted:

I really don't understand this constant defeatism from the (tankist) left. Either straight up Puting stanning or at the very least portraying the Ukrainian struggle as harmul or meaningless. Is the fight and struggle against tyranny and oppression not supposed to be the good and right thing to do? Are they really so brokebrained that absolutely anything that the US supports must be opposed, even if it means supporting Putin or making GBS threads on Ukrainian independence?

They've been reading Russia Today proxies pushing Kremlin propaganda mixed with some leftism for years and it broke their brains which were not top of the class to begin with

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Panzeh posted:

Ah, I see someone who's against fighting people's wars against imperialist invaders with greater numbers, a true leftist position.

((Posting from 1953)) "Giap, just give up, you can't smash the Tassigny Line, gun for a position in the French colonial administration, maybe you can even get the Viet Minh a seat in the French parliament! Every day you wait, your position gets worse!"

"Just lay down and die and allow your home to be absorbed into an empire, you are just enabling capitalism/ imperialism by fighting back!"-a "leftist"

And no to the big-brain, almost all intelligence does not say "Ukraine's situation is unwinnable", quite the opposite

It suggests Russia's invasion goals become more impossible by the minute unless something drastic changes

Real question: if Tankies' homes own were invaded by Putin would they just accept peace and watch ther local government be tortured and their freedoms ripped to shreds?

Also I really don't get who those posts are for: are they to convince the thread of randos to lose hope so we convince Zelinskyy to surrender? Not sure how that works?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 14, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

Probably angry that the country resisting an imperialist agressor dares not to do so under the red flag.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

tehinternet posted:

So the leftist take on an imperialist nation invading your county is to not fight because civilians will die

So they should surrender to the imperialist autocrat who regularly abuses/disappears his people

I mean I can understand avoiding war at all costs but Ukraine wasn’t really given a choice in the matter and Russia is not a great place to be associated with compared to the EU.

E: honestly, the feeling I get from most internet leftists (and I’d call myself a leftist) is that they just want to see Europe suffer because of awful poo poo they’ve done in the past. Never mind that Europe is morally in the right here.

They are a bunch of little Goebbelses in service of a criminal ideology, op

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tehinternet posted:

Ukraine is in an existential struggle. Wiping out Ukrainian culture and rounding up people Putin doesn't like is literally an existential struggle.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Brown Moses posted:

The Russian Embassy to the Netherlands decided this morning it would be a good time to share an interview where its ambassador uses internet comments as evidence that the pregnant woman who died overnight after being crush in the Mariupol maternity hospital bombing was a crisis actor
https://twitter.com/rusembassynl/status/1503313926544633860
The grossness begins about 2:40.

That ambassador comes off as incredibly defeated. He knows drat well that the interview is going to be a public execution and there’s nothing he can do about it but he has to go through the farce anyways to convince Putin he’s doing his job and repeating the worthless state line.

You talk about Russian propaganda being designed for internal consumption - I feel like this was meant for internal consumption as well, but for Putin instead of the public.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That Reddit post is fairly misinformed.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

TulliusCicero posted:

Real question: if Tankies' homes own were invaded by Putin would they just accept peace and watch ther local government be tortured and their freedoms ripped to shreds?

I don't see why this is even a question, of course

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

IMHO They would be the people most likely to cooperate with the Russians so yes, might even apply for the job of the torturer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean it should be pretty clear to everyone that there are multiple wars going on that look pretty differently. Around Kyiv and Kharkiv the Ukranians have stood their ground and there has to have been a pretty substantial cost to that. Out in the country in the North is where we are getting all of the propaganda of them hitting convoys and while that's a very small piece of the war the fact that they've been able to do that with success fairly regularly is still a piece of the jigsaw. In the south Russia has had more success but that's stalled out a bit.

The East is the big question mark, because three weeks in the big expected envelopments of Ukrainian forces still don't appear to have materialised and it seems like without Kyiv or Mariopul the prospective pincers don't have the logistics support to do their thing.

All gazing into the dense fog of war though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

I asked a pro-Russia Tankie this question just the other day, and they admitted that they would most likely hide in a basement and then cooperate with whoever was invading.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

Also I really don't get who those posts are for: are they to convince the thread of randos to lose hope so we convince Zelinskyy to surrender? Not sure how that works?

they would be fine with it because they along with many of the chuds would bend the knee quick in hopes of getting some cushy collaborator job and also "nations don't exist" or some poo poo. also its because they get bored of various echo chambers.

Tomn posted:

That ambassador comes off as incredibly defeated. He knows drat well that the interview is going to be a public execution and there’s nothing he can do about it but he has to go through the farce anyways to convince Putin he’s doing his job and repeating the worthless state line.

You talk about Russian propaganda being designed for internal consumption - I feel like this was meant for internal consumption as well, but for Putin instead of the public.

yeah. this guy is doing what the various trumpists do for trump but for putin.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I asked a pro-Russia Tankie this question just the other day, and they admitted that they would most likely hide in a basement and then cooperate with whoever was invading.

Most people would do this and that's fine. Actual willingness to participate in armed struggle is pretty rare even in existential conflicts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

Most people would do this and that's fine. Actual willingness to participate in armed struggle is pretty rare even in existential conflicts.

Most people would have enough dignity not to portray it as a brave anti imperialist stance

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Also it should be pointed out that Putin isn't really offering Ukrainians the opportunity to hide in a basement and cooperate, since he's shelling the basement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also anyone with any kind of activist history is probably going to end up shot regardless if Putin takes over. He doesn't want ideologues in power he wants other chekist/ mafia types like himself. Being a pro putin tankie in Ukraine is just giving both sides a reason to shoot you, either sooner or later.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1503327421839417344

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Russia asking China for help is just :discourse:, it's such desperation.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Hell it doesn't matter much who the gently caress you are, once Russia is in town and taking charge they will just kill randomly so even if you co-operate your neck might still be next on the chopping block.
That's why you just resist because no matter how hopeless the situation is, capitulation still ends in bloodshed.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
There should exist some kind of a device that prevents Elon from posting on Twitter while he's high.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

dr_rat posted:

China's not going to prop them up to its determent, but I can definitely see china giving support if Russia goes into an economic collapse. The Chinese governments very good at giving various types of support to countries and having everything end up very much in it's favour.

Russia was very good at loving with foreign countries and or suffering any serious consequences

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/kofinas/status/1503328530779750400

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also anyone with any kind of activist history is probably going to end up shot regardless if Putin takes over. He doesn't want ideologues in power he wants other chekist/ mafia types like himself. Being a pro putin tankie in Ukraine is just giving both sides a reason to shoot you, either sooner or later.

That's the thing about traitors and collaborators. In the long term they're rarely trusted with power or rewarded because if they turned on their own side once they drat well might do it again later on.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 14, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rinkles posted:

the pregnant lady on the stretcher died, as did her child.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...w&utm_medium=AP

I read her final words... rage doesn't cover it.

:ukraine:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I think it's easier if you just assume that goons who wander in and start doing victim blaming, or blaming NATO, whatever else, are at best, probably slightly sympathetic to Russia due to various reasons, and at worst are simply trying to stir up poo poo and piss people in the thread off.

There's also a contingent who seriously think that dunking on Ukraine and the posters in this thread who support Ukraine, is some type of "owning the libs" nonsense, because ultimately life and its events are just one giant game to them, even if they claim otherwise, since in their own deranged way, they're keeping "score".

It's best to engage as if the posts are in good faith, but once it becomes clear that they don't seem to be in good faith, ignore them.

There's alpt of things I find odd here include using the phrase "victim blaming" for geopolitical warfare, "wandering in" to a public forum, and the weird psychoanalysis of strangers because they might have a different view on recent events.

But what I keep on getting back to is why is trying to understand or provide context to the current conflict, which has been brewing since the end of the Cold War, is seen as such an attack when essentially we all are trying to make sense of this from a remove?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I read her final words... rage doesn't cover it.

:ukraine:

Yeah it's pretty infuriating, that's for sure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I believe NLAW is electro-optical with GPS?
NLAW is basically INS-guided. You train the guidance system by looking at the target for a few seconds, let loose and it'll fly over the expected point of impact and smack it with a top attack shaped charge.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

BoldFace posted:

There should exist some kind of a device that prevents Elon from posting on Twitter while he's high.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think you guys all misunderstood me. For one I didn’t realize the twitter person tweeted commentary in subsequent tweets. What I was commenting on was the linked article directly. What I meant was, the person who wrote that article is grossly misinformed about how this war = the fall of US hegemony and this entire idea is just laughable. Therefore, why should anyone pay attention to this take (the articles take, the the twitter person)?

"At present, [Chinese] public opinion believes that the Ukrainian war signifies a complete collapse of U.S. hegemony"

There, do you get what he's saying now? The article is saying Chinese popular opinion is very wrong and being "neutral" doesn't actually help Russia in a material way while also pissing off literally everyone else.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I do love that the war has shown who is literally on the payroll with no more argument of "both sides etc etc"

Yeah. I'm pretty disappointed in the various attorneys general who should be investigating the poo poo out of their finances.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I know some folks ITT were following this topic, so hmm:

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1503302106778054656

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shageletic posted:

There's alpt of things I find odd here include using the phrase "victim blaming" for geopolitical warfare, "wandering in" to a public forum, and the weird psychoanalysis of strangers because they might have a different view on recent events.

But what I keep on getting back to is why is trying to understand or provide context to the current conflict, which has been brewing since the end of the Cold War, is seen as such an attack when essentially we all are trying to make sense of this from a remove?

The context is that this is an unprovoked invasion by Russia which has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths and injuries and millions of refugees. There's "having a different view on recent events" and there's trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CIA Director William Burns, former US Ambassador to Moscow, on Putin's current Mindset:

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — More than two weeks into a war he expected to dominate in two days, Vladimir Putin is projecting anger, frustration at his military’s failures and a willingness to cause even more violence and destruction in Ukraine, in the assessment of U.S. intelligence officials. Officials in recent days have publicly said they’re worried the Russian president will escalate the conflict to try to break Ukraine’s resistance. Russia still holds overwhelming military advantages and can bombard the country for weeks more. And while the rest of the world reacts to horrific images of the war he started, Putin remains insulated from domestic pressure by what CIA Director William Burns called a “propaganda bubble.”

Burns is a former U.S. ambassador to Moscow who has met with Putin many times. He told lawmakers in response to a question about the Russian president’s mental state that he did not believe Putin was crazy. “I think Putin is angry and frustrated right now,” he said. “He’s likely to double down and try to grind down the Ukrainian military with no regard for civilian casualties.” Russia’s recent unsupported claims that the U.S. is helping Ukraine develop chemical or biological weapons suggest that Putin may himself be prepared to deploy those weapons in a “false flag” operation, Burns said.

There’s no apparent path to ending the war. It is nearly inconceivable that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who has won admiration around the world for leading his country’s resistance, would suddenly recognize Russia’s annexation of Crimea or support granting new autonomy to Russian-friendly parts of eastern Ukraine. And even if he captures Kyiv and deposes Zelenskyy, Putin would have to account for an insurgency supported by the West in a country of more than 40 million. “He has no sustainable political end-game in the face of what is going to continue to be fierce resistance from Ukrainians,” Burns said.

Avril Haines, President Joe Biden’s director of national intelligence, said Putin “perceives this as a war he cannot afford to lose. But what he might be willing to accept as a victory may change over time given the significant costs he is incurring.” Intelligence analysts think Putin’s recent raising of Russia’s nuclear alert level was “probably intended to deter the West from providing additional support to Ukraine,” she said. [NOTE: Sabre Rattling like we percieved]

Before the invasion, polling conducted by the Levada Center, Russia’s top independent opinion research firm, found that 60% of respondents consider the U.S. and NATO the “initiators” of conflict in eastern Ukraine. Just 3% answered Russia. The polling was in January and February, and the Levada Center has not published new polling since the war began. [NOTE: It would be bullshit anyways] Outsiders hope ordinary Russians will respond to the sharp decline in their living standards and find honest portrayals of the war through relatives and online, including by using VPN software to bypass Kremlin blocks on social media. Russian state television continues to air false or unsupported allegations about the U.S. and Ukrainian governments and push a narrative that Russia can’t afford to lose the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alchenar posted:

It's also a problem of capability vs an overwhelming enemy force.
Which is why military aid is of such importance.