Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

whos that broooown posted:

Eh, that's debatable. 9 of 14 in the tournament for the big ten vs 6 of 10 for the big 12. They're certainly not "way deeper."

It doesn't even matter. If you go 12-8 in the big 10 you should be in just like if you went 12-8 in the big 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
It's okay, you're in. Your only enemies now are the teams in front of you.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

reading here that rutgers lost to northwestern

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

R.D. Mangles posted:

reading here that rutgers lost to northwestern

I'm the first to admit they had a weird resume this season.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I...like this bracket?

Obviously can nitpick any configuration to death but there's some fresh matchups here, chance for some good chaos. Watch it go bizarrely all chalk somehow. (But I don't think so.)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t see how it goes chalk misty because the top 10 spent most of the season losing as soon as they got up there, and losing to bad teams too. Gonzaga is always an unknown for me. They dominate their weaker conference, but who knows what that means in the tournament. Probably still the favorite to win. Them or Arizona.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are we going to have a goon bracket challenge on yahoo or ESPN?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like Colorado is better than a lot of the teams in but the weak conference really didn't give them a great chance to show it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

PotatoJudge posted:

If Shrewsberry can recruit Penn St is going to be a monster team in 2 or 3 years.

FWIW I disagree. They're VERY senior heavy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

being a fan of a team in a 1-bid league blows because its conference tourney or bust

UNT was pretty clearly the best team in CUSA regular season yet end up in the NIT :sigh:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 14, 2022

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

mcmagic posted:

I'm going to try to go.

Rutgers deserved a better seeding than Michigan. We split with them, had more good wins and they took a giant poo poo all over the court in the big 10 tourney.

Michigan is 40 spots higher on Kenpom. What are you even talking about here?

Michigan should have scheduled a much easier OOC, gone 22-9 and they are sitting at the 6/7 line. They also had by far the toughest Big Ten schedule, with 2 games against the top 3/4 teams and the road games against the next set.

Be happy Rutgers was even in the bubble conversation, much less made the tournament.

E: 77 in NET, 76th in Torvik - how the hell did Rutgers make the tournament?!

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 14, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kirios posted:

Are we going to have a goon bracket challenge on yahoo or ESPN?

Sure! Want to set one up?

Also, we should probably make a tournament GDT for tomorrow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vols Bitch

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
The time honored tradition of trying to figure out just where the gently caress TruTV is in your channel lineup.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee got hosed on seeding, we should have been a 2 but somehow I think we got a better draw than Kentucky and maybe Duke.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

Michigan is 40 spots higher on Kenpom. What are you even talking about here?

Michigan should have scheduled a much easier OOC, gone 22-9 and they are sitting at the 6/7 line. They also had by far the toughest Big Ten schedule, with 2 games against the top 3/4 teams and the road games against the next set.

Be happy Rutgers was even in the bubble conversation, much less made the tournament.

E: 77 in NET, 76th in Torvik - how the hell did Rutgers make the tournament?!

Michigan and Rutgers are very close teams. They split 2 games this season and had pretty similar conference records (rutgers' was better)... I don't think that 40 spot difference in the rankings is an accurate reflection of what these 2 teams were this season.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

mastershakeman posted:

How good is Houston, id like Illinois to make a sweet sixteen some day

We lost our best and probably 3rd best players for the season during non-conference play and still won the AAC because Sampson is a genius coach, but we're lacking depth because of those injuries. Assuming we make it to Sunday, we're probably going to swarm Cockburn with double teams when he gets touches in the post, yet we have freakishly athletic guards that will contest any 3s. Since the injuries, our offense has revolved around feeding the ball to Josh Carlton in the post or Fabian White at the elbow, while still grabbing offensive boards at an insane rate. The keys to beating us are hitting (contested) threes and getting our guys in foul trouble - Wisconsin and Alabama were able to do the former, while Memphis beat us with the latter.

This could've been another final four team with Marcus Sasser healthy, but at least we'll get him back next season :sigh:

edit: We're better than a 5 seed team in terms of metrics, but it's not a wholly unfair rank - the AAC was way down this year, Memphis and SMU aside, and a lot of our big non-conference opponents (Virginia, Butler, Oregon, Oklahoma State) also had poor seasons.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 14, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kcekjm/status/1503133374117986311?s=20&t=pnFBTkctk_jMLnWH8YmYFQ

Lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

mcmagic posted:

Michigan and Rutgers are very close teams. They split 2 games this season and had pretty similar conference records (rutgers' was better)... I don't think that 40 spot difference in the rankings is an accurate reflection of what these 2 teams were this season.

Every single advanced metric disagrees with you.

The Big Ten doesn’t do a full round robin with equal games vs all teams, so it’s tough to only look at records.

Michigan had 1 more game vs a top 5 Big Ten team this year than Rutgers, so it’s close, but they are only one game apart in the Big Ten Standings.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 14, 2022

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Just came to gloat that both the Hokies and the Vols are conference tournament champs.

Suck it Duke and A&M. Sweet delicious victory over evil empires. Loved it. Go March Madness.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee got hosed on seeding, we should have been a 2 but somehow I think we got a better draw than Kentucky and maybe Duke.

It's a totally fair complaint but I'd rather have Tennessee's path than Duke's.

The SEC championship game won't matter for seeding unless they move it to Saturday. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

It's a totally fair complaint but I'd rather have Tennessee's path than Duke's.

The SEC championship game won't matter for seeding unless they move it to Saturday. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

The Kentucky win meant more than the A&M and it was on Saturday

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Probably should have been Tenn 2 in the West, Duke 3 in the West, and TTU 3 in the South.

If you follow the theory of seed order, the way they set it up had Duke as the weakest 2 seed and TTU as the strongest 3 seed.

Of course, that leaves me rooting for the TTU vs Gonzaga rematch in the Elite 8. Or not rooting for that because I also want an easier path to the final 4.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I know this is out of the purview of NCCAB now, but I just learned that Brittney Griner was arrested in Russia last month on some trumped up drug charges. She plays there during the WNBA offseason. Could be in for a long stay, but hopefully she can get out of there.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/spor...14T10%3A15%3A06

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's bad and she's definitely a political prisoner at the moment, they normally would have just expelled her if they did anything at all.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It just occurred to me to wonder how schools are able to go from being told sunday night, go to dayton, to being in dayton and ready to play on tuesday night. hard enough to get everything together for a thursday game.

i mean it's not going to stress indiana too much getting to the next state over, but i'm thinking about how those two texas schools manage it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think the host schools play a part. I assume there are hotel rooms and buses already set aside for whichever team needs them. All the teams need is a flight there, which is probably easy enough for a college.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind it at all if :razorfront: gave Coach K the last loss of his :jerkbag: storied career :jerkbag:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

tactlessbastard posted:

I wouldn't mind it at all if :razorfront: gave Coach K the last loss of his :jerkbag: storied career :jerkbag:

:razorfront: is the 6th most likely team to give Coach K his last loss.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

elentar posted:

It just occurred to me to wonder how schools are able to go from being told sunday night, go to dayton, to being in dayton and ready to play on tuesday night. hard enough to get everything together for a thursday game.

i mean it's not going to stress indiana too much getting to the next state over, but i'm thinking about how those two texas schools manage it.

The Wyoming / Indiana winner has to go from a game with a 9:10 ET tip time to being in Portland, OR Thursday for their 1st round matchup.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Started a goon bracket thing on ESPN if anyone cares.

Group is SAS Goons
password is fuckduke

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRehjo5-Zk

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The NCAA provides transportation and pays for it. Charter bus if under 350 miles, charter plane if over. IU or Wyoming will head to hotel get stuff and be flown to a waiting hotel in Portland, whichever wins.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

"Scratch a record at Danny Ferry's house and you owe him a new Toto album."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1503873114610053120?s=20&t=Iq3eNR8p4yqRIbz52cdLsA

Rick Barnes seems like such a good dude

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Frank Martin got fired, and virtually none of the people slated to replace him seem as good as him. If a guy was able to turn Kansas State of all programs into a brief threat and then couldn't do anything for your school, maybe it's your program, not the coach, I dunno. Hope the best for Martin.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
This is probably a dumb question, but do any of you guys have any insight into how second round games are scheduled? *If* we get past UAB, a friend and I are considering driving from DC to Pittsburgh for Houston's second round game vs. Illinois/Chattanooga, but not if the tipoff is too late. Given that Illinois/Chattanooga tips at 6:50 and then Houston/UAB at 9:20, it's probably likely that we end up in a late slot, right?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I feel awful for Michigan PG Devante Jones; transferred in as a 5th year senior and never had the opportunity to play in the tournament and catches an elbow during practice and will miss the round of 64 game with a concussion.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Regnevelc posted:

I feel awful for Michigan PG Devante Jones; transferred in as a 5th year senior and never had the opportunity to play in the tournament and catches an elbow during practice and will miss the round of 64 game with a concussion.

fuckin really sucks

that said, Michigan went on the road and beat tOSU without Hunter Dickinson, but Colorado State is super guard-heavy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On brackets - I don't know the name of it but have y'all done the one where it's a draft instead of pick'em and you pick players and teams? So like we did it last night and you pick players or teams - players you get points for how many points they score and then you get 10pts for every time your teams picked advance. I've never seen one like this but it was pretty cool having to go through the thought process of picking a player or a team and why.