Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1503434861771726850?s=20&t=wz6qzRXf8JD6rv9i9b4wMw

This keeps going back and forth with unnamed officials.
Someone up thread mentioned it was a US leak to put the pressure on China to state they would NOT support with military assistance.

Also saw plans are in place for Biden to visit somewhere in the EU, possibly Poland.

Other reports that Russia has very little time left (less than 2 weeks) to fix its army issues or the whole thing is going to collapse.

A friend living near where my family lives in Chernihiv went for a walk in that area today. He said, "It is hell there."
The picture of the unexploded bomb next to their house has been making the rounds on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tomn posted:

I could see an argument for it being a strategic choice to improve US standing in the world. "Russian authoritarianism starved the world, American democracy fed it" is a pretty good headline.

Edit: Also if people are mad about not doing enough regarding a no-fly zone directly feeding people out of US reserves might help ease that psychological pressure, even if it's not directly touching Ukraine.

The Greatest Generation are all dead: the US is run by Boomers and Silents now, and they don't give a poo poo about global standing or humanitarian efforts.

They are going to hoard it or make every country pay insane rates and turbofuck everything, and then when some countries complain they will use prosperity gospel to justify being heartless shitheads.

I have absolutely no faith in my government/ boomers who vote in droves to do the "right" thing here

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Doccers posted:

IIRC the Su-34 was shot down in the east, unrelated to the strikes on the western base.

There was a lot of information noise yesterday, and I was part of spreading the misinformation that the SU-34 was shot down in the West.

A Twitter (can't loving find it now because I'm a dumbass) I follow has been tracking chatter from the strategic bombers, they came on station again late in the day yesterday and just seemed to loiter over the Black Sea, according to them.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

The Greatest Generation are all dead: the US is run by Boomers and Silents now, and they don't give a poo poo about global standing or humanitarian efforts.

They are going to hoard it or make every country pay insane rates and turbofuck everything, and then when some countries complain they will use prosperity gospel to justify being heartless shitheads.

I have absolutely no faith in my government/ boomers who vote in droves to do the "right" thing here

You are so going to get your rations reduced if you go on like that. No, not for you! Only 2 grams of butter!

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Randarkman posted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Uk-%D0%9A%D0%B8%D1%97%D0%B2.ogg

Incidentally I think the transliteration Kyiv isn't very good, especially as I think the second vowel in Київ isn't a normal "i", and based on that that pronounciation seems a bit closer to a a "jo" (or something inbetween "jo" and "je" maybe) sound than "i" (maybe similar to Russian ё). Also I'm pretty sure Ukrainian has the same thing going as Russian where non-stressed vowel kind of are just reduced to very short and often indistinct versions of the "normal" proncounciation of the letter.

No

It's basically the russian letter ы

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Charlotte Hornets posted:

No

It's basically the russian letter ы

The first vowel is the one that sounds like ы to me at least.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you pronounce kyiv

https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1194686620097826821

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

The map above is interesting for this reason: it shows three separate Russian Military Districts involved in the push to Kiev. Gee, I wonder why coordination is so difficult?

That's actually almost totally irrelevant. The three pushes almost might as well be on the other side of the planet from each other. The push by Eastern MD west of Dniepr is on the other side of a river they have no hope to bridge and where the nearest bridge is in Kyiv. The push down south by Central MD is separated from the Western MD by the wettest landscape in all of Ukraine. The area between those major roads on the map isn't just muddy, a lot of it is just outright flooded right now.

The plan was for 3 independent pushes towards Kyiv. They don't need to co-ordinate at all until the are well inside the city.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Tldr: You say Kiev like a Finn and write Kyiv like an Ukrainian.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Tuna-Fish posted:

That's actually almost totally irrelevant. The three pushes almost might as well be on the other side of the planet from each other. The push by Eastern MD west of Dniepr is on the other side of a river they have no hope to bridge and where the nearest bridge is in Kyiv. The push down south by Central MD is separated from the Western MD by the wettest landscape in all of Ukraine. The area between those major roads on the map isn't just muddy, a lot of it is just outright flooded right now.

The plan was for 3 independent pushes towards Kyiv. They don't need to co-ordinate at all until the are well inside the city.

How hard could it be to cross the river and sack Kyiv? It's *this* small on the map.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Randarkman posted:

The first vowel is the one that sounds like ы to me at least.

Oh, yes sorry. The first vowel.

The second vowel is basically a loooooong i

The main problem for people is the first vowel.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Shes Not Impressed posted:

How hard could it be to cross the river and sack Kyiv? It's *this* small on the map.

Even a small stream that an individual out on a hike can just hop over, is a major obstacle to an army at the best of times due to the logistics involved.

Mud Season in combat is ... not the best of times.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Now, say: you're going to Kyiv, in Kyiv, at Kyiv, above Kyiv, under Kyiv, etc. and learn how to pronounce it like 30 more ways!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Now, say: you're going to Kyiv, in Kyiv, at Kyiv, above Kyiv, under Kyiv, etc. and learn how to pronounce it like 30 more ways!

I will simply respect Kyiv by staying far away from it

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh gently caress Ukrainian is inflected?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I will simply respect Kyiv by staying far away from it

Fully qualified to be a Russian invader.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Was this masterpiece posted already?

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1503365400939147273

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Italian perspective, unrolled from @Ric_Alcaro --------

Since before the invasion and even after that, Italy's main TV networks have regularly hosted 'geopolitics' experts and other public figures who have argued the following:

The #US and/or #NATO share the responsibility for the war, which Putin would've been forced to wage because of the aggressiveness of NATO/EU's expansion plans

The underlying argument is that #Russia has structural interests threatened by US/EU. You'll find no elaboration about the fact that such "interests" are in fact a claim to a zone of influence, by way of elite co-optation, intimidation and military force, over neighbors

Ukraine's agency is almost never taken in consideration. Ukraine is discursively construed as a passive object of US-Russia competition

Unsurprisingly, their suggestion to Ukraine is that it should surrender to Russia's military superiority to avoid further casualties, and that the US/EU should negotiate with Putin now

The war goes to the advantage of a US intent on making Europe even more dependent. The war has shown that the EU is divided and ultimately pointless precisely because it's too dependent on the US, the real 'victor' of the war

Not all 'experts' or public figures who show understanding to Russia would agree with all the above points, but the problem here is that, in a nutshell, this is what TV watchers in Italy are constantly fed

Still it is important that foreign audiences are aware that the debate in Italy is anything but settled against Putin. No-one defends the war but many, including publicly, are unwilling to consider the imperialist ideology with which its regime is imbued as a factor

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Pookah posted:

Oh gently caress Ukrainian is inflected?

Yeah.
3 months of 10 hours Ukrainian lessons in Chernihiv 6 days a week and I was still getting brain blown by all the new poo poo coming out.

Like when I found out 2 years in I could add -"mu" to the end of the infinitive for "to have" and other wild stuff.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

SaTaMaS posted:

I don't understand why India is being so crass about the conflict. They're trying to play both sides in order to get what...some rusty Russian military hardware and some oil? They don't even import that much oil from Russia, just 2-3%.

This is a pretty good Twitter thread that was posted earlier here. According to it, India has a fairly pro-Russia public sentiment (if not pro-invasion) that is driven by a combination of historical Russian support of India, dislike of their perception of USA hegemony, buying into Russia's NATO expansionism propaganda, and a sense that Ukraine deserves it for getting tricked by the West about support and integration and giving up their nukes.

KitConstantine posted:

Thread from an Indian journalist on how the war is perceived in India - they seem to blame Zelensky/NATO as much as Russia.
https://twitter.com/rachelchitra/status/1501471010042036233?t=-M6hn4MqjlLqk0gjck8gEw&s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Uk-%D0%9A%D0%B8%D1%97%D0%B2.ogg

Incidentally I think the transliteration Kyiv isn't very good, especially as I think the second vowel in Київ isn't a normal "i", and based on that that pronounciation seems a bit closer to a a "jo" (or something inbetween "jo" and "je" maybe) sound than "i" (maybe similar to Russian ё). Also I'm pretty sure Ukrainian has the same thing going as Russian where non-stressed vowel kind of are just reduced to very short and often indistinct versions of the "normal" proncounciation of the letter.
Yeah, all the various pronunciations of Kyiv I've looked up all indicate that Kyiv is a terrible way to spell the name in English if you're trying to get people to get anywhere near a Ukrainian pronunciation. That said, the vast majority of English-speakers/non-Eastern Europeans are probably not gonna be pronouncing it much anyway, so having it be right in text makes a lot of sense.

In any case, it's not like there isn't a proud Anglo tradition of not pronouncing European capitals correctly, so Kyiv fits right in.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Kallikaa posted:

Wasn't the Finnish President meeting with Baiden and they found time to call the Swedish pm? Dunno maybe they just like being on the phone.

Did they get the Swedish pm on the phone during their meeting? If so I wonder if Sweden and Finland are going to do some sort of joint NATO application. Support for joining NATO is now at 62% in Finland but it jumps to 77% if Sweden also wants to join. Is public opinion in Sweden also like this? I think a joint application/announcement would make a lot of sense if so.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

At my grandfather's funeral, a very old man that none of us had ever met came over to tell us about how, when he was a young army officer, my grandad had a sports car with a machine gun mounted on it :allears:
(Grandad had a... busy time during the Irish War of Independence and Civil War)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah.
3 months of 10 hours Ukrainian lessons in Chernihiv 6 days a week and I was still getting brain blown by all the new poo poo coming out.

Like when I found out 2 years in I could add -"mu" to the end of the infinitive for "to have" and other wild stuff.

I can respect inflected languages for how clearly they can express exact meaning, but drat they are a pain in the hole for non-infants to learn.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

, India has a fairly pro-Russia public sentiment (if not pro-invasion) that is driven by a combination of historical Russian support of India, dislike of their perception of USA hegemony, buying into Russia's NATO expansionism propaganda, and a sense that Ukraine deserves it for getting tricked by the West about support and integration and giving up their nukes.

India's colonial experience and their historical leadership of the non-aligned bloc also might have something to do with it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think it would be a good sign for Biden to visit Poland. I’m not a fan of our Polish administration or the president, but Kamala “Giggles” Harris was here last week and she didn’t leave me with a particularly good impression.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The bmw technical is... Interesting to say the least.

Hope they put some chicks under the wheels to stop it from flipping over while cycling the MG

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

What gets me about this as a tank commander in a NATO country is you can tell the poor training of the crew, as he comes around the corner it's gun front and I think he has grips out, not scanning the corner or having the gun direction of threat, no jockying after each round fired presenting a static target, no wonder nlaws are eating them up.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Mokotow posted:

I think it would be a good sign for Biden to visit Poland. I’m not a fan of our Polish administration or the president, but Kamala “Giggles” Harris was here last week and she didn’t leave me with a particularly good impression.

I have to wonder if American VP choices are more a check against assassination attempts than anything else at this point. "Take out Biden, and THIS person becomes president." "... oh. Nevermind then..."

[edit] quoted the wrong post...

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The bmw technical is... Interesting to say the least.

Hope they put some chicks under the wheels to stop it from flipping over while cycling the MG

Chicks do dig BMWs...

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like continuing to fence sit/tentatively support Russia is hitting China right in the balance sheet
https://twitter.com/RChoongWilkins/status/1503361696567418883?t=nR75D86lMDM1qYiOGJGlZg&s=19
https://twitter.com/RChoongWilkins/status/1503363594049626116?t=S-iy48Pp7LTBXbBIyudERA&s=19
Though one of their main port cities Shenzhen is closed through the 20th for mass covid testing which doesn't help (source: my company's factory in China)

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

William Bear posted:

Chicks do dig BMWs...

I asked my wife, they dig 12.7x108, too.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'm coming at it from non military applications so ymmv, but depleted uranium is probably only a problem in this case if you break some up and get it in you. Sitting next to a bunch of DU rounds all day probably won't do anything. Medical and industrial radiographers hang out with the stuff all the time with no issue. It's only really a concern if you get partiulate stuck on and around vital organs. And I have a feeling that a DU round in or around vialt organs will mitigate the long term effects of the radiation (because you'd be dead!).

E-spelling

The problem isn't radioactivity. Uranium is pyrophoric and dust and smoke will get into the air. I'm sure it's more of a long term problem for residents. It's a heavy metal that accumulates in the bone and kidneys and I think causes birth defects. And of course those effects are on top of lead, whatever residues explosives leave, spilled fuel, etc.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Wild scene on Russian state TV today
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1503444628045017102?t=T4vZUwTraZZUzsOYZokhQA&s=19
Brave woman :smith:

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

MonkeyLibFront posted:

What gets me about this as a tank commander in a NATO country is you can tell the poor training of the crew, as he comes around the corner it's gun front and I think he has grips out, not scanning the corner or having the gun direction of threat, no jockying after each round fired presenting a static target, no wonder nlaws are eating them up.

And not to mention his infantry support is just standing their filming a tik tok. I am not a soldier, but I suspect he could be doing something more useful.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like continuing to fence sit/tentatively support Russia is hitting China right in the balance sheet
https://twitter.com/RChoongWilkins/status/1503361696567418883?t=nR75D86lMDM1qYiOGJGlZg&s=19
https://twitter.com/RChoongWilkins/status/1503363594049626116?t=S-iy48Pp7LTBXbBIyudERA&s=19
Though one of their main port cities Shenzhen is closed through the 20th for mass covid testing which doesn't help (source: my company's factory in China)

Yeah I was assuming this had more to do with the Omnicron surge they're starting to see.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Antillie posted:

Did they get the Swedish pm on the phone during their meeting? If so I wonder if Sweden and Finland are going to do some sort of joint NATO application. Support for joining NATO is now at 62% in Finland but it jumps to 77% if Sweden also wants to join. Is public opinion in Sweden also like this? I think a joint application/announcement would make a lot of sense if so.

Swedish public opinion on NATO membership has gone from slowly about 40 % in favor of membership (30 against and 30 undecided) before the invasion to 52% in favor after the invasion.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Slightly "old" but...

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1503040935063703556

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1503056485718401029

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1503065561722494978
They can't even hazard a guess; destruction too complete.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Her courage is unbelievable, I can only imagine being this great a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Pookah posted:

I can respect inflected languages for how clearly they can express exact meaning, but drat they are a pain in the hole for non-infants to learn.

I remember reading that there was an old Russian joke about this stuff. From Wikipedia:

quote:

In a Soviet factory. Five pokers are to be requisitioned. The correct forms are acquired, but as they are being filled out, a debate arises: what is the genitive plural of kocherga? Is it Kocherg? Kocherieg? Kochergov?... One thing is clear: a form with the wrong genitive plural of kocherga will bring disaster from the typically pedantic bureaucrats. Finally, an old janitor overhears the commotion, and tells them to send in two separate requisitions: one for two kochergi and another for three kochergi.

In some versions, they send in a request for 4 kochergi and one extra to find out the correct word, only to receive back "here are your 4 kochergi and one extra."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_jokes#Linguistic_quirks

William Bear fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 14, 2022