Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

eXXon posted:

That sure is a list of books from someone who doesn't seem to actually like the fantasy genre and just dabbles at the edges of magical realism/historical fiction.

Also disqualifying the Book of the New Sun as sci-fi but including the Fifth Season (but not the Inheritance trilogy or Dreamblood series) is curious.

At least Rothfuss can hang his hat on the fact that Lies of Locke Lamora wasn't nominated, nor was basically anything like NotW save Wizard of Earthsea.

Epic and High Fantasy is a tough sell to people who haven't already bought heavily into the genre. Fixtures of Fantasy books like lore dumps and faux-old-timey dialogue/narration are not tolerated in other genre/non-genre fiction. So I can understand if someone who may not be the biggest fantasy nut has tastes that omit some of the genre's biggest names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The Myst novelization being put on par with Ursula K. Leguin is preposterous, and then The Fifth Season rated above Lord of the Rings...

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Fantasy is the oldest genre of literature, pre-dating the invention of bound books by thousands of years thanks to mythology and folklore."

loving kill me

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BananaNutkins posted:

The Myst novelization being put on par with Ursula K. Leguin is preposterous

Yeah I really liked that book but I was also about 10 years old and nobody that age has good taste

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The first two books in the Myst trilogy hold up well, I've read them fairly recently. I remember the third being worse though and haven't re-read that in years.

Edit: They don't belong in a best fantasy list next to LeGuin, however.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

mewse posted:

Good for you, I tapped out after Armada which was similarly horrendous

Yeah I never read that but the impression I got was that it was literally the plot of The Last Starfighter and this was addressed by all the characters saying "this is just like The Last Starfighter"

I wonder which is worse. RP2 has several chapters in a row devoted to wandering around a virtual planet about John Hughes movies reciting trivia about them and using the trivia to "make corrections" to the NPC behavior to solve a riddle and oh my loving God it was the most savagely boring thing to ever exist, absolutely brutal. You'd think a big dorky fanboy could at least muster some kind of enthusiasm but it was devoid of any energy at all, even stupid energy. It goes past "too boring to hate" and ends up achieving a level of boring where you have to feel hatred just to prove to yourself you're alive in the face of such a void

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah I never read that but the impression I got was that it was literally the plot of The Last Starfighter and this was addressed by all the characters saying "this is just like The Last Starfighter"

I wonder which is worse. RP2 has several chapters in a row devoted to wandering around a virtual planet about John Hughes movies reciting trivia about them and using the trivia to "make corrections" to the NPC behavior to solve a riddle and oh my loving God it was the most savagely boring thing to ever exist, absolutely brutal. You'd think a big dorky fanboy could at least muster some kind of enthusiasm but it was devoid of any energy at all, even stupid energy. It goes past "too boring to hate" and ends up achieving a level of boring where you have to feel hatred just to prove to yourself you're alive in the face of such a void

I've played a game that did the whole plot of Armada better than Armada did.

Also I think the post about how everything in RP1 is 80s because it makes money, not because it is liked or understood applies completely to Ernest Cline as well. He wrote RP1 as the most cynical cash grab possible. It's obvious by how it only has the most surface level understanding of the media that it claims to be an obsessed superfan of.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kchama posted:

I've played a game that did the whole plot of Armada better than Armada did.

Also I think the post about how everything in RP1 is 80s because it makes money, not because it is liked or understood applies completely to Ernest Cline as well. He wrote RP1 as the most cynical cash grab possible. It's obvious by how it only has the most surface level understanding of the media that it claims to be an obsessed superfan of.

The weirdest thing about Cline's writing are the errors within his works. In Armada (I think), he writes something like 'I felt like Luke Skywalker looking over the A-, X-, And Y-Wing fighters at the Battle of Yavin.' But there weren't any A-Wings at the Battle of Yavin. What kind of Star Wars fan can name the A-Wing, a craft not named in the films, but also not understand that it didn't debut until Return of the Jedi?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The weirdest thing about Cline's writing are the errors within his works. In Armada (I think), he writes something like 'I felt like Luke Skywalker looking over the A-, X-, And Y-Wing fighters at the Battle of Yavin.' But there weren't any A-Wings at the Battle of Yavin. What kind of Star Wars fan can name the A-Wing, a craft not named in the films, but also not understand that it didn't debut until Return of the Jedi?

There are tons of errors all over the place, which is exactly why I pegged him as a surface level fan at most. He's absorbed information through cultural osmosis, but doesn't actually know any of the specifics. There's no A-Wings at the Battle of Yavin, the energy weapons in Gundam are not lasers, etc.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I surveyed the X-, Y-, 3- and S- wings before me, as I gave the signal to dogecoin to the moon!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"Fantasy is the oldest genre of literature, pre-dating the invention of bound books by thousands of years thanks to mythology and folklore."

loving kill me

Bestselling dark, gritty fantasy, The Bible.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

porfiria posted:

Bestselling dark, gritty fantasy, The Bible.

Rothfuss did plaguerize that whole Christ thing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/g39385874/best-fantasy-books/

Say what you will about this list but you know it has to burn Rothfuss that he isn't on here at all.

Night Circus is good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Scholtz posted:

Ready Player One is just incredibly frustrating to me, because it's one of the most dogshit books I've read and I just loathe it and what it represents about our media consumption...

..but everyone that I personally know who loves the movie/book are very kind/inoffensive, pretty much just say "I really liked it, it was a lot of fun :)" so I can't even be mad at them or argue with them about it

A big problem with RP1 is the amount of tech people today going "hey we need a metaverse like in RP1 because look how cool that is" while ignoring that said metaverse was extreme escapism because the actual world was exceptionally hosed and when these same people talk about their metaverse dream it boils down to "the internet, but in VR and I alone can monetize everything about it."

I'd sooner live in the Shadowrun setting than RP1.

Say what you will about this list but you know it has to burn Rothfuss that he isn't on here at all.

Considering how bad this list is, with a small handful of exceptions, it might make him happy to not be on it. I'm pretty sure LOTR and Earthsea are only on there so that the author isn't entirely written off. Like Sanderson but if you're going to list one of his books in a top 50 list WoK isn't it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Evil Fluffy posted:

A big problem with RP1 is the amount of tech people today going "hey we need a metaverse like in RP1 because look how cool that is" while ignoring that said metaverse was extreme escapism because the actual world was exceptionally hosed and when these same people talk about their metaverse dream it boils down to "the internet, but in VR and I alone can monetize everything about it."

I'd sooner live in the Shadowrun setting than RP1.

https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538?lang=en

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I know this is the dorkiest complaint to have about it, but the RP1 VRMMO isn't even described as a good game -- every description sounds like Cline, at best, had an MMO described to him once over the phone. There's even loving permadeath! I suppose "lovely jank product gets huge market share because it's a dystopia" is realistic enough, but Cline clearly has no idea he's doing it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
if it weren't for the years of lovely gross nerd girl poetry he did, i'd believe that ernest cline is some sort of pen-name for a corporate board room.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I know this is the dorkiest complaint to have about it, but the RP1 VRMMO isn't even described as a good game -- every description sounds like Cline, at best, had an MMO described to him once over the phone. There's even loving permadeath! I suppose "lovely jank product gets huge market share because it's a dystopia" is realistic enough, but Cline clearly has no idea he's doing it.

It's not like it matters. Sword Art Online, which RP2 is almost completely based off of, is even dumber even before you get into the "the hardware was made to intentionally murder the user by microwaving their brain" and that doesn't stop people in the real world from going WOW I'D SUPER LOVE TO PLAY THAT GAME.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Get a job.

https://twitter.com/patrickrothfuss/status/1503843372489973762

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

who the gently caress cares, jesus. not you, these weird DST people that are popping up everywhere now

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I just want to go on the time standard where you spend the least amount of days getting off of work after dark and stick to that year-round. I think that would make the largest number of people happy, and gently caress everyone who comes up with weird contrarian reasons to oppose it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oh it was a joke. He wrote a lot there. Hm

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Barreft posted:

Oh it was a joke. He wrote a lot there. Hm

It really sums up his oeuvre with vigor.

"He wrote a lot, but it wasn't very good at being the thing he said it was."

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

One problem with making a list like this is that a lot of the most influential, foundational texts of fantasy came in the form of short stories (Fritz Leiber, Robert E. Howard, The 1001 Nights along with every collection of fairy tales and folk stories ever, and they put Angela Carter's 'The Blood Chamber' in that list anyway). Also no Gormenghast. gently caress that.

Also, I like The Fifth Season and all but it's nothing super special. "What if X-Men met a dying earth story, with some elements of Mad Max and also elements from those Final Fantasy games where the characters are obviously living on a world that went through some sort of techno-magical apocalypse but they themselves are oblivious to it and there are giant floating artifacts made from magic crystals?" It's a fine and fun trilogy (with some uneven moments), but there's nothing that stands out super-strong about the prose, and the premise and setting is something you can see in a lot of webcomics.

And like, since this silly list leans a lot into magical realism maybe they should have put One Hundred Years of Solitude in there somewhere?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Atlas Hugged posted:

It really sums up his oeuvre with vigor.

"He wrote a lot, but it wasn't very good at being the thing he said it was."

It's nearly a perfect example of the archetypal Bad Nerd Joke (overly long, not remotely funny, teller thinks it makes him the smartest boy alive), but ideally it would be a pun, and also he would retweet it five times in an hour to make sure you really appreciate his brilliance

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It is a pun (or, at least, becomes one by the third Tweet), but it's a pun on something that's a mistake in the first place ("savings"), so it loses nerd points for that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Here's my unbiased top 25 fantasy novels of all time ranking. Sorry, NoTW just missed the cut.

1. The Eye of the World
2. Gardens of the Moon
3. Deadhouse Gates
4. The Great Hunt
5. Memories of Ice
6. House of Chains
7. The Dragon Reborn
8. The Shadow Rising
9. Midnight Tides
10. The Bonehunters
11. The Fires of Heaven
12. Lord of Chaos
13. Reaper's Gale
14. Toll the Hounds
15. A Crown of Swords
16. The Path of Daggers
17. Dust of Dreams
18. The Crippled God
19. Winter's Heart
20. Crossroads of Twilight
21. Knife of Dreams
22. The Gathering Storm
23. Towers of Midnight
24. A Memory of Light
25. New Spring

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

eXXon posted:

You see, he uses hissomeone else's herbal medicine knowledge to earn the nickname Kvothe the Bloodless without literally lacking blood. The other legends about him? Yeah they actually happened exactly as described.

Um excuse me but he also didn't slay a dragon. No, that would be some silly fantasy legend stuff.

Okay, yes, he did slay an enormous fire-breathing iron-scaled lizard, but it didn't come from the dragon region of Vint, so technically it's only a sparkling draccus.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

eXXon posted:

Here's my unbiased top 25 fantasy novels of all time ranking. Sorry, NoTW just missed the cut.

1. The Eye of the World
2. Gardens of the Moon
3. Deadhouse Gates
4. The Great Hunt
5. Memories of Ice
6. House of Chains
7. The Dragon Reborn
8. The Shadow Rising
9. Midnight Tides
10. The Bonehunters
11. The Fires of Heaven
12. Lord of Chaos
13. Reaper's Gale
14. Toll the Hounds
15. A Crown of Swords
16. The Path of Daggers
17. Dust of Dreams
18. The Crippled God
19. Winter's Heart
20. Crossroads of Twilight
21. Knife of Dreams
22. The Gathering Storm
23. Towers of Midnight
24. A Memory of Light
25. New Spring

Are these a mix of World of Warcraft quests/factions?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're Brandon Sanderson's 2021 released titles

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Are these a mix of World of Warcraft quests/factions?

I recognize the Malazan series but not the others, for some reason I'm pretty sure it's another 10-12 book fantasy series though.

The original list does get me curious though, for a real 50 great "all-time" fantasy list how many books on it would be from the post 2000s or even post 2010? I haven't kept up with too much new fantasy so the only one I know about is NK Jemisin and even that is a lot of social media chat and twitter wars from when she called all the SFFA guild and Vox Day personally.

Like, I do like Sanderson and enjoyed Mistborn and similarly thought Abercrombie's First Law trilogy was great, but not something I'd rank as all time in the genre.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 16, 2022

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Bad SciFi/Fantasy should be rated based on how many forum posts it generates.

Rothfuss can't even give us garbage media to consume and complain about. GRRM hasn't written a goddamn thing in just as long but at least had the decency to provide us with a terrible TV show to sustain us. SA has produced a measly 113 pages of NOTW shitposts in the last five years whereas the Absolute Fucker has inspired over 1700 pages in the last 11 years.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Malazan loving owns.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

GRRM is associated with Elden Ring and tgat's more than Rothfuss has ever done.

I guess we can count that stupid trolley obsessed Numenera game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What is one life worth? Maybe if I restate the question eighty times I'll stumble on something profound.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

funkymonks posted:

Bad SciFi/Fantasy should be rated based on how many forum posts it generates.

Rothfuss can't even give us garbage media to consume and complain about. GRRM hasn't written a goddamn thing in just as long but at least had the decency to provide us with a terrible TV show to sustain us. SA has produced a measly 113 pages of NOTW shitposts in the last five years whereas the Absolute Fucker has inspired over 1700 pages in the last 11 years.

GRRM has written and published a couple of books at least, just not the one everyone wants him to publish.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The unbridled nerd rage and fanboyism this thread keeps veering into are even dweebier than Pat himself.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Um excuse me but he also didn't slay a dragon. No, that would be some silly fantasy legend stuff.

Okay, yes, he did slay an enormous fire-breathing iron-scaled lizard, but it didn't come from the dragon region of Vint, so technically it's only a sparkling draccus.
:hmmyes:

pentyne posted:

I recognize the Malazan series but not the others, for some reason I'm pretty sure it's another 10-12 book fantasy series though.
It's books 1-10 of Malazan and 0-14 of Wheel of Time interleaved (good luck guessing which are which), so

No Dignity posted:

They're Brandon Sanderson's 2021 released titles
... is not entirely wrong.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The unbridled nerd rage and fanboyism this thread keeps veering into are even dweebier than Pat himself.
... what?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Top 25 ranks are stupid anyway. What does it even mean to place Lord of the Rings higher than Book of the New Sun? They're both fantastic achievements in storytelling and whether or nor you consider one better than the other is almost always going to come down to personal taste. It makes way more sense to have a top 25 list "in no particular order".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

So you've read Wheel of Time and Malazan. Which doesnt make you well read in fantasy but does make you a masochist.

Gardens of the Moon over Deadhouse Gates? Come on! But I do agree with you that eye of the world is the best on that very bad and shameful list.