Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Anthony Briggs’ translation of War and Peace is pretty good, revised Maude might be technically the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Reading Metropole (called Epepe in Hungarian) by Ferenc Karinthy, and it's pretty chaotic so far. A linguist accidentally arrives in a city where he doesn't speak the language, everywhere is crowded, and people are at best indifferent to his attempts at communicating, more often rude or even hostile. Everything is overwhelming and inexplicable. He's trying to figure out how to talk to an elevator operator though, so maybe he will finally understand and be understood (though I kind of doubt it lol)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 15, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Briggs War and Peace isn't bad, but it's very, very liberal. I recommend the Oxford World Classics edition of the classic Maude translation, which was endorsed by Tolstoy himself; this version is judiciously revised by Amy Mandelker. Aside from that one, I also really like the Ann Dunnigan translation, published by Signet.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Briggs War and Peace isn't bad, but it's very, very liberal. I recommend the Oxford World Classics edition of the classic Maude translation, which was endorsed by Tolstoy himself; this version is judiciously revised by Amy Mandelker. Aside from that one, I also really like the Ann Dunnigan translation, published by Signet.

Politically, or in terms of textual faithfulness?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh, it voted for Buttigieg in the primary.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Read Ovid's Metamorphoses. It's wonderful. It's brutal and sweet and funny. No wonder it's still read centuries later.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Just finished My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Amos Tutuola and really enjoyed it. I've actually seen it and his first novel The Palm-Wine Drinkard on lists of best fantasy novels recently but I think that's stretching the definition of "fantasy" to the breaking point. I mean, it's the story of a young boy who flees into the bush to escape from slave traders and accidentally finds himself in a bizarre land of ghosts (not just in the sense of the spirits of the dead, although one of the towns he visits is basically that, but as a catch all term for all the spirits and creatures that haunt the forest), so I can see the connection, but this is about as far from the conventions of the genre as you can get. I particularly enjoyed the distinctive patterns of speech employed, especially the widespread use of the past continuous tense where most American and British writers would use other tense. It somehow lends the book a sense of timelessness, like, these events didn't just happen once, they were happening for essentially forever. Whether that was an intentional decision or just a matter of the way Tutuola's Nigerian English accent/dialect works is hard to say for someone who's never been to Nigeria, but it's really cool.

It's also an absolutely filthy book, in the literal sense, not as a metaphor for sexuality or anything like that. Over and over he describes being so thoroughly covered by flies and mosquitos that he's unrecognizable to the people around him. At one point a ghost appears to him who is covered from head to toe in open sores and asks him to cure her affliction by licking the sores continuously for 10 years, and it's all presented in such a matter-of-fact kind of way with little if any attempt at deciphering the meaning of the imagery. It's very dreamlike in that sense, these things happened, this imagery was seen, let's move on to the next scene.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

Just finished My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Amos Tutuola and really enjoyed it. I've actually seen it and his first novel The Palm-Wine Drinkard on lists of best fantasy novels recently but I think that's stretching the definition of "fantasy" to the breaking point. I mean, it's the story of a young boy who flees into the bush to escape from slave traders and accidentally finds himself in a bizarre land of ghosts (not just in the sense of the spirits of the dead, although one of the towns he visits is basically that, but as a catch all term for all the spirits and creatures that haunt the forest), so I can see the connection, but this is about as far from the conventions of the genre as you can get. I particularly enjoyed the distinctive patterns of speech employed, especially the widespread use of the past continuous tense where most American and British writers would use other tense. It somehow lends the book a sense of timelessness, like, these events didn't just happen once, they were happening for essentially forever. Whether that was an intentional decision or just a matter of the way Tutuola's Nigerian English accent/dialect works is hard to say for someone who's never been to Nigeria, but it's really cool.

It's also an absolutely filthy book, in the literal sense, not as a metaphor for sexuality or anything like that. Over and over he describes being so thoroughly covered by flies and mosquitos that he's unrecognizable to the people around him. At one point a ghost appears to him who is covered from head to toe in open sores and asks him to cure her affliction by licking the sores continuously for 10 years, and it's all presented in such a matter-of-fact kind of way with little if any attempt at deciphering the meaning of the imagery. It's very dreamlike in that sense, these things happened, this imagery was seen, let's move on to the next scene.

iirc some of the syntax and sentence structure he uses is actually from yoruba, just being applied to english. although that's more or less how pidgin english tends to work anyway i suppose.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Well, that escalated! Great ending, recommended

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Fwiw i think tutuola mixes together Nigerian English and invents his own 'mistakes' ... I remember in my edition of The Palm-Wine Drinkard they showed a page of his original fair copy that had been altered by the publishers removing all kinds of intentional errors in spelling etc

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

I read through Joan Didion's Play It As It Lays. It's got a certain perfection, like nothing needs to be added or taken away from it. I also can't help but feel like anyone who talks about the depiction of 'Hollywood nihilism' in stuff like Bojack Horseman needs to read this instead.

I've started William Gaddis' JR, and so far the prose strikes me as sloppy and annoying, but I'll see if it improves as I get into it.

Play It As It Lays is fabulous, and if you've got a few hours to kill the film version is easy to find and manages a great translation of the themes to screen.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jrbg posted:

Fwiw i think tutuola mixes together Nigerian English and invents his own 'mistakes' ... I remember in my edition of The Palm-Wine Drinkard they showed a page of his original fair copy that had been altered by the publishers removing all kinds of intentional errors in spelling etc

in the later books he explicitly tried to write his english in a more 'correct' way which is why they're not as good and spontaneous. palm wine drinkard is the most unfucked with of all of them, and the intro to my life in the bush of ghosts talks about how it was constrained a bit by the editors.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I particularly enjoyed the distinctive patterns of speech employed, especially the widespread use of the past continuous tense where most American and British writers would use other tense. It somehow lends the book a sense of timelessness, like, these events didn't just happen once, they were happening for essentially forever. Whether that was an intentional decision or just a matter of the way Tutuola's Nigerian English accent/dialect works is hard to say for someone who's never been to Nigeria, but it's really cool.

You might also enjoy the "rotten English" in Ken Saro-Wiwa's Sozaboy, a dark comedy about a child soldier in the Nigerian civil war.

On an entirely different note, I just finished Charles Portis's Masters of Atlantis. It's a comic novel about a secret society and the motley group of true believers and con-men who run it. It's fun sorting out who is which as you follow their misadventures. It can get a little dark and mean-spirited at times, but that's mainly directed towards the con-men characters, while the true believers are treated more with pity.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

this sounds so good. thanks for writing it up.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yeah its been one I have wanted to get for some time

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Recommend me another one on the level of Blinding thread, tia

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Bilirubin posted:

Is there even anything? His other book available in English, Nostalgia, was close in parts

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

just looking to top off my book store run tomorrow with something very good, help folks out who get shut down every Saturday due to protesters for are freedoms. What did you read that you really liked lately derp?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Bilirubin posted:

just looking to top off my book store run tomorrow with something very good, help folks out who get shut down every Saturday due to protesters for are freedoms. What did you read that you really liked lately derp?

I really liked The Pastor by Hanne Orstavik, and also just finished reading The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Briggs, by Rilke, which was amazingly beautiful but so much so I could only read a few pages at a time

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

try hop on pop by dr seuss

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A human heart posted:

try hop on pop by dr seuss

Hand Hand Fingers Thumb or get out

Seriously though you do good recommendations, and I apprecaite them

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Modulo16 posted:

I read Oedipus, Illiad, and Odyssey in Highschool for an english class, and I couldn't appreciate it at the time. I wanted to go back and read the works and learn to appreciate them better. As far as what I am into: I like Micheal Connelly and Elmore Leonard as far as crime novels, but I'd like to branch more into stories that really bring out emotion.
Anything specific to start?
Read The Crying of Lot 49

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I finally read Cyclonopedia and I think I'm just too stupid to read books now, I have no idea what that was about or what to really take away from it

My man.

CestMoi posted:

the stories in slow learner aren't fantastic, but the little intros and discussions he has of his process are really cool and you get much more of an understanding of how his huge maximalist novels are constructed, iirc there's a story called entropy where he's like 'yeah i learned about entropy and thought it sounded neat and i wrote this story and then later learned i'd kind of misunderstood entropy', and huge parts of books like gravity's rainbow or against the day seem to come from the same place of devour books on disparate topics and connect them constantly but this time check you've actually understood them. which is probably why we'll never get another big pynchon, he's never going to escape wikipedia

Learning about Pynchons life before writing is really eye opening for his stuff, especially in relation to his books from the 60s and 70s. Very likely he knew some pretty top secret poo poo and was actually worried about his safety for what he knew after writing Crying of Lot 49.

He literally worked on a top secret network of information exchange hidden from public knowledge (a precursor to the internet that linked domestic nuclear missile sites together).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I just finished beloved by Toni Morrison and I loved it. Maybe top five ever? There especially was the theee chapters where beloved is my sister or beloved is my daughter or beloved is me. Haunted by that chapter.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Finished the Leopard by GT di Lampedusa. Really, really good, bit of the same theme as in Buddenbrooks with the degeneration of a family line as they enter modernity, except this time they're sicilian aristocrats instead of lubeckian merchants. Not quite as good as Mann's book though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Buddenbrooks is paced weirdly (as is The Magic Mountain) while The Leopard is paced perfectly, which makes it the second best story of aristocratic degeneration after The Cherry Orchard

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
where does that leave the magnificent ambersons?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a nice copy of Carlos Fuentes’s Aura. It has both the original text and the English translation. I only have seen people discuss Terra Nostra, but this one sounded cool, and it’s pretty short.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

currently reading Havoc by Tom Kristensen, about a literary critic who decides to solve his ennui in the most Danish way possible: drinking himself to death

I also bought Chasing Homer by Laszlo Krasznahorkai today

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Knauer extolling the virtues of nofap is killing me. My buddy sent me paragraphs talking that at 3am once. Swore he now inhabited the real world instead of the false one, that his lifts went through the roof, and his mental acuity was razor sharp. Then of course a week later he tells me it was all bullshit. Now I can't even focus on the story because this poo poo.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Semen retention, it’s out there!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've found myself in love with Truffaut's work as a director, and seeing his own devotion to Balzac I was going to jump that train now that I've finished Demian, then I head to the book store and realize the dude was a one man printing press.

Any recommendations for something to use as a starter, or do I just YOLO myself into La Comédie humaine

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

started Melancholy of resistance, it’s good so far

Krasz is a master when it comes to making you feel the tension and unrest

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I've found myself in love with Truffaut's work as a director, and seeing his own devotion to Balzac I was going to jump that train now that I've finished Demian, then I head to the book store and realize the dude was a one man printing press.

Any recommendations for something to use as a starter, or do I just YOLO myself into La Comédie humaine

you're right, he did work as a printer. I usually start with the obvious ones, so I'd say go with Father Goriot or Lost Illusions.

also
https://twitter.com/jesslbergman/status/1516110190151868416?s=20&t=R9_tcxtvd_D-xEofJXGutA

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 20, 2022

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Cousin Bette is very good too, as is Splendeurs et misères des courtisanes

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/MasakiJinzaburo/status/1516160130890534915?s=20&t=y4npxbRE1SP3LoiPcINf8g

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Come on how could the author of Confessions of a Mask possibly be homosexual

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

apophenium posted:

I read this and thought it was really good but also I don't think I'll ever want to revisit it or even think about it again. There's something about this wave of "Online" books (like Lauren Oyler's Fake Accounts that ages instantly and that I cringe away from in hindsight. Perhaps because it's describing an embarrassing stage of human social interaction that I'd rather not think about too much.

Of course the sentiment behind the book is incredible and between the parts that I cringe away from is some excruciatingly beautiful prose. The latter is timeless but the rest, which anchors it so firmly in the modern day, will not hold up (funny as it may be), and detracts from the overall experience.

Realize this is an old post but I read No One Is Talking About This last year and really loved it, both because it's very funny and aware of how cringey those parts of it are, while also tying it together with the ending where the online world becomes increasingly irrelevant when faced with actual human connection and crisis. Meanwhile, I could barely get through the first 30 pages of Fake Accounts before giving up -- insufferably bland prose, the way she went on forever trying to describe the act of using an iPhone was much more obnoxious than anything. I won't criticize too much since I didn't read much past the opening, but I instantly got the sense this book would be tortuous to get through.

Lockwood I found much more honest and open and I feel like if any of these online books has a shot at aging well it'll be that one, if only for how direct and witty her prose is and for the emotional weight of the climax.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Tried to get a handle on the context here and felt my brain starting to melt.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Tried to get a handle on the context here and felt my brain starting to melt.

There's a significant contingent of right wing dipshits who are really, really into Mishima but don't seem to have read any of his fiction or learned anything about him as a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Mishima? the same Mishima that would pay young men to be his private audience while he play-acted his own suicide to the point of orgasm? pulling-out-a-long-red-cloth-from-his-own-stomach-to-simulate-blood-while-simultaneously-cumming Mishima?