Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

yoooooooo Best Buy variant comes with a chance to buy a PS5 lets gooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXNO3gy7bk

i want a variant i can spin all day long, all night strong

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1503790855244636165?s=20&t=c18KXaoe_Eq6eFzDNpbSlA

Hey how about we focus on the over a billion people not trapped in their office. Why so much interest in a pretty statistically minor occurrence? I feel like it's time to move on for those of us previously trapped or working from home.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
After Matty's embarrassing appearance on Joe Rogan, idk how he shows his face in public anymore. Shameless.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some potentially good news on the IP waiver:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ces-2022-03-15/ posted:

U.S., EU, India, S.Africa reach compromise on COVID vaccine IP waiver text

WASHINGTON/GENEVA March 15 (Reuters) - The United States, European Union, India and South Africa have reached a consensus on key elements of a long-sought intellectual property waiver for COVID-19 vaccines, according to a proposed text reviewed by Reuters.

Sources familiar with the talks described the text as a tentative agreement among the four World Trade Organization members that still needs formal approvals from the parties before it can be considered official. Any agreement must be accepted by the WTO's 164 member countries in order to be adopted.

Some elements of the consensus deal, including whether the length of any patent waivers would be three years or five years, still need to be finalized, according to the text. It would apply only to patents for COVID-19 vaccines, which would be much more limited in scope than a broad proposed WTO waiver that had won backing from the United States, according to the document.

The document authorizes use of "patented subject matter required for the production and supply of COVID-19 vaccines without the consent of the right holder to the extent necessary to address the COVID-19 pandemic".

It said IP rights would also be waived for ingredients and processes necessary for COVID-19 vaccine manufacture, a move aimed at granting critical know-how to many countries lacking expertise, especially for advanced mRNA-type vaccines.

The text contained several limitations, including that the waiver is only available to WTO member countries that exported less than 10% of global exports of COVID-19 vaccine doses in 2021.

The tentative agreement does not include COVID-19 treatments or tests, and the limitations would likely exclude China from any waiver, a source familiar with the negotiations said.
(..)
A spokesperson for pharmaceutical industry trade group PhRMA said efforts to waive intellectual property commitments are unnecessary and harm efforts to end the pandemic. Voluntary technology transfer and partnerships have helped vaccine makers to target production of 20 billion doses in 2022, more than enough for the world, she said.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1503923776207175680

okay, this is a four-minute clip, and I don't want you to waste your time watching all of it, so I will explain my point in text

this is six different White House correspondents, asking Press Secretary Jen Psaki repeatedly about whether their "thinking has changed" about implementing a No-Fly-Zone and sending fighter jets to aid Ukraine. That is, the White House's current position is currently "no, we are not doing that", but the intent that you can read behind questions of these reporters is that they WANT the No-Fly-Zone and the fighter jet transfer to be done, and they're just lobbying for Ukraine by asking repeatedly about "have you changed your mind yet?"

at about two minutes, one of the reporters is quoting Former Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch:

quote:

We need to mitigate risk, but it's also true that not taking greater action comes with a risk as well

I bring this up, because a position of "if we do nothing, that by itself is adopting a certain position, with its own resulting consequences" is precisely the opposite of America's COVID policy all this time.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/PlanetEarth_HD/status/1503858920233869313

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“for some reason”

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Potato Salad posted:

It's a lie. The lion's share of inflation in FY22 stems from record corporate profits.

Yeah it's an obvious lie, I was just pointing out the absurdity of the argument they are making, if it were true.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tl;dr

But that sounds very flu-like and mild.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Maybe stock up a little https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1504052441997885444

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If only he knew.

https://twitter.com/PlanetEarth_HD/status/1326110392079314944
https://twitter.com/PlanetEarth_HD/status/1326111460624371713

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Man antibody mediated immunity selecting for t-cell nuking variants because immunology is black magic that nobody understands wasn't on my 2022 bingo card but of course that's what is going to happen lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

That guy's describing his new covid experience the way a wine taster might ponder the characteristics of each glass. Ah yes, this BA.2 variant lacks the outright debilitating playfulness of Delta, but displays just a hint of Omicron's crowdpleasing ubiquity.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

T-Paine posted:

That guy's describing his new covid experience the way a wine taster might ponder the characteristics of each glass. Ah yes, this BA.2 variant lacks the outright debilitating playfulness of Delta, but displays just a hint of Omicron's crowdpleasing ubiquity.

He's English, that's just how they talk.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Thoguh posted:

After seeing how mad people are that the COVID thread still exists now I’m not so sure we don’t have another wave coming immediately because people that don’t post ITT trying to get it shut down because COVID is over has, thus far, been a fail proof way to predict a new wave.

look at this way

Of the 10 busiest airports in the US

1: Atlanta: Georgia is seeing increases of admissions and hospitalizations, and wastewater is up in Augusta and Decatur…no info out of Atlanta.

2: LAX: Wastewater is showing some increases but there’s no pattern yet.

3. Chicago: On fire
4: Dallas: On fire
5: Denver: on fire
6: JFK: NYC is up 20% and central New York is on fire. Wastewater is crazy high in Western Connecticut too.
7: San Fran: same as LAX.
8: Vegas: On fire
9: Seattle: The surrounding county is on fire
10: Charlotte: NC data is showing huge increases in various cities.

the second list I looked at had Orlando on the top 10 instead of Charlotte, and that showed up on the wastewater map yesterday.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

He's English, that's just how they talk.

Oi mate, this fokin variant has me knackered. Nip up the chip shop and fetch us a curried pea butty yeah? Always brings a bloke round

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pingui posted:

I mean assuming that other nations follow in the footsteps of most of the world and use vaccines as a replacement for a pandemic mitigation strategy rather than as an element of one, isn't this going to just make things worse? I mean like I was saying before, while I'm a booster bandit and on the short term individual level urge everyone to get vaccinated (as often as they can) isn't widespread use of a non-sterilizing vaccine in the absence of meaningful NPIs and with incomplete vaccination among the population just going to do what it's been doing so far and help promote for more antibody-resistant variants?

I mean it's good news in the short term and all but yeah, isn't this ultimately just more bad news?

I mean maybe I'm wrong and misunderstanding the situation, but yeah. My understanding was that combining a non-sterilizing vaccine with a population that is not completely vaccinated (thus allowing lots of chances for unvaccinated people to infect the vaccinated) and with the absence of NPIs to stop the resulting variants from quickly entering into general circulation is precisely part and parcel what has brought us to our current situation WRT Omicron dunking on our vaccines.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Spider-Man: No Way Home was really fun. Probably not worth getting COVID over though. Glad I waited.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh hey it's the other mask guy on YouTube. Kind of a sad story. So many people thought America was going to come together and overcome this crisis like in all those History Channel documentaries about WW2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Oh hey it's the other mask guy on YouTube. Kind of a sad story. So many people thought America was going to come together and overcome this crisis like in all those History Channel documentaries about WW2.

The only thing that inspires Americans is going on another overseas "feel good crusade" to kill people of different religious beliefs or ethnic backgrounds.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Bennigans was the first chain restaurant in my area to proudly announce a return to indoor dining in like April 2020

from this distance it's almost vertigo inducing to see people so horny for "return to normal" that long ago

it makes it feel like the discourse over "return to normal" is less a line and more of broken record, just endlessly repeating the same stupid set of events with no deeper meaning or intent

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Spider-Man: No Way Home was really fun. Probably not worth getting COVID over though. Glad I waited.

honestly even pre covid, it's not like watching a movie is a particularly social event unless you get together with friends to watch on a couch/over a stream, so there's really never any urgency to watch a film

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean assuming that other nations follow in the footsteps of most of the world and use vaccines as a replacement for a pandemic mitigation strategy rather than as an element of one, isn't this going to just make things worse? I mean like I was saying before, while I'm a booster bandit and on the short term individual level urge everyone to get vaccinated (as often as they can) isn't widespread use of a non-sterilizing vaccine in the absence of meaningful NPIs and with incomplete vaccination among the population just going to do what it's been doing so far and help promote for more antibody-resistant variants?

I mean it's good news in the short term and all but yeah, isn't this ultimately just more bad news?

I mean maybe I'm wrong and misunderstanding the situation, but yeah. My understanding was that combining a non-sterilizing vaccine with a population that is not completely vaccinated (thus allowing lots of chances for unvaccinated people to infect the vaccinated) and with the absence of NPIs to stop the resulting variants from quickly entering into general circulation is precisely part and parcel what has brought us to our current situation WRT Omicron dunking on our vaccines.

This would also be the required framework for a sterilizing vaccine, but moreover you are thinking this in terms of a strictly Western perspective, where the COVID deaths have been exported to poorer countries (I don't mean this as an attack on you as it is a natural bias, just making you aware). It can mean higher likelihood of vaccine breakthrough variants, but it certainly means fewer people dying in poorer countries "immediately".

Whether breakthrough infections of man's vaccines or nature's vaccine is more likely to produce categorical breakthrough variants, I don't think is clear.

Edit to elaborate on the latter point: Idle speculation on my part as a non-expert, but while exerting pressure for very targeted mutations when many people are monovaccinated, the likelihood of producing some fresh Omicron like multi-mutation beast seems more likely if you have a wider spread on the exerted pressure. Like when jumping species.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 16, 2022

Runaway Trashbot
Mar 13, 2022

by Games Forum
What is the Scorpio Variant?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Runaway Trashbot posted:

What is the Scorpio Variant?

Fake news. Scorpio is the software used and was misread as the HK variant name.

Alternative answer: Many people are asking...

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

Fake news. Scorpio is the software used and was misread as the HK variant name.

Alternative answer: Many people are asking...

I knew it. Covid is fake

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tulip posted:

from this distance it's almost vertigo inducing to see people so horny for "return to normal" that long ago

it makes it feel like the discourse over "return to normal" is less a line and more of broken record, just endlessly repeating the same stupid set of events with no deeper meaning or intent

https://twitter.com/richardmarx/status/1264618138898804737

quote:

Not all who agitated for an end to the lockdowns think the pandemic is a hoax; most simply don’t care who it kills and are sick of staying home. The streets are full of people wearing masks around their necks, house parties are making a comeback, parents are scheduling secret playdates for their kids and crowds are flocking back to bars

https://twitter.com/stxve/status/1262516000853045250

Eugenics with Democrat characteristics

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pingui posted:

This would also be the required framework for a sterilizing vaccine, but moreover you are thinking this in terms of a strictly Western perspective, where the COVID deaths have been exported to poorer countries (I don't mean this as an attack on you as it is a natural bias, just making you aware). It can mean higher likelihood of vaccine breakthrough variants, but it certainly means fewer people dying in poorer countries "immediately".

Whether breakthrough infections of man's vaccines or nature's vaccine is more likely to produce categorical breakthrough variants, I don't think is clear.

Edit to elaborate on the latter point: Idle speculation on my part as a non-expert, but while exerting pressure for very targeted mutations when many people are monovaccinated, the likelihood of producing some fresh Omicron like multi-mutation beast seems more likely if you have a wider spread on the exerted pressure. Like when jumping species.

Oh, yeah, no, I know it will save lives in the short/immediate term in poorer nations and I'm glad for that, but I'm just wondering if it's not a case of what we've seen in America where we save some lives in the short term but kill and maim many, many, many more in the medium and long term.

But yeah. Here's hoping, and thanks for the answer. And I mean yeah, considering they're being hanged out to dry anyway, I'm thankful for anything that helps people in the immediate term on the individual level, just I'm wary about the long term population effects.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

Oh poo poo, if the pharma manufacturers are loosening their grip in the vaxx IPs I guess that means they've given up trying to squeeze profits out of them, which means that covid really truly is over. It'll still continue as a medical/humanitarian issue but Capital is done with it which means it's done

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo, if the pharma manufacturers are loosening their grip in the vaxx IPs I guess that means they've given up trying to squeeze profits out of them, which means that covid really truly is over. It'll still continue as a medical/humanitarian issue but Capital is done with it which means it's done

Did you missed the part where China is still IP banned?

I think this is less Capital and more of a ham-handed diplomatic attempt to attract the world away from China.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

(..)
But yeah. Here's hoping, and thanks for the answer. And I mean yeah, considering they're being hanged out to dry anyway, I'm thankful for anything that helps people in the immediate term on the individual level, just I'm wary about the long term population effects.

You and me both buddy. I outlined something very similar 1½ years ago when discussing BCG as a potential 20-40% reduction of severity vaccine (9 October, 2020 - so before vaccines were out):

Pingui posted:

Griefor posted:

Pingui posted:

My nightmare scenario is a vaccine that doesn't immunize but just reduces symptoms and lethality.

Why exactly? Especially considering that one of the symptoms reduced is probably going to be "spreads the covid to others".

A bit hard to explain concisely in writing, but I'll give it a go.

Initially everyone has a perceived equal chance to be infected, however if people are vaccinated we would expect them to become more risk prone. E.g. starting going to restaurants and bars. If it was fully immunizing (or close) this would be okay, because they wouldn't get it and spread it. However if it is like a 20%-40% reduction in severity, they can still get it, spread it and possibly die from it. Because they and others are "vaccinated" - even if they get symptoms - they chalk it up to "just the flu".

Now if everyone was vaccinated immediately a 20%-40% reduction in severity would be great, but of course they won't. It'll take months if not years to get the vaccination out and now you have contagious and protected or perceived protected and asymptomatic people engaging in risky behavior. These people will not be wearing masks, reduce travel or not go out - the whole point of getting the vaccine is to be able to "go back to normal".

And then there is the other part. COVID-19 isn't particularly prone to mutation, so any given roll of the die is unlikely to spawn a mutation that circumvents a vaccine. But loading up a billion people with the virus is a lot of die rolls and from the start we've been seeing distinct strains develop. Now the strains haven't had selective pressure for circumventing a vaccine, but at soon as vaccinations start they will. What started out as 20%-40% reduction in severity could rapidly degrade to nothing, while the risk prone behavior stands.

It doesn't help that the first people to get a "vaccine" would be frontline workers, with a large degree of exposure to potentially different strains and wealthy people that travel a lot and therefore have a large degree of exposure to potentially different strains.

I am also really scared that this process could make creating an immunizing vaccine more difficult - for political reasons ("we already have a vaccine"), for social reasons ("the vaccine doesn't work!") and for technical reasons (the mutations that circumvent a severity reducing vaccine, also helps circumvent a full vaccine - essentially reversing the dynamic of why the BCG vaccine might work).

Welcome to my nightmare scenario I guess :shrug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1503790855244636165?s=20&t=c18KXaoe_Eq6eFzDNpbSlA

Hey how about we focus on the over a billion people not trapped in their office. Why so much interest in a pretty statistically minor occurrence? I feel like it's time to move on for those of us previously trapped or working from home.

I'm having a couple weeks of gently caress n suck while I can and cases are down in my area. I went to my first movie in years (batman) and I ended up paying $40 for 2 people to be bored in a movie theater for 3 hours and watch a movie that was too fuckin dark (literally)

It was an awful experience and people are psychos if they're willing to get literal brain damage to do poo poo like that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pingui posted:

You and me both buddy. I outlined something very similar 1½ years ago when discussing BCG as a potential 20-40% reduction of severity vaccine (9 October, 2020 - so before vaccines were out):

Welcome to my nightmare scenario I guess :shrug:

ahahahahaha, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm having a couple weeks of gently caress n suck while I can and cases are down in my area. I went to my first movie in years (batman) and I ended up paying $40 for 2 people to be bored in a movie theater for 3 hours and watch a movie that was too fuckin dark (literally)

It was an awful experience and people are psychos if they're willing to get literal brain damage to do poo poo like that

:lol:

should have gone to the strip club instead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Did you missed the part where China is still IP banned?

I think this is less Capital and more of a ham-handed diplomatic attempt to attract the world away from China.

It's both at the same time. There's a bunch of 'soft power' diplomacy going on and the US no doubt saw this as yet another chance to stick it to China, but for that to happen in the first place Capital had decide it wasn't worth the effort to continue hoarding all the IPs like vaxx dragons

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

People who have seen Bat man or Spider Man, do they beat the bad guys this time? Spoiler alerts goons. Are the cgi fight scenes a visual treat unlike any other

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whenever china goes through an outbreak and quarantine we always end up getting a worse outbreak that completely destroys our ability to function for half a year while they are back to fully operational after a few weeks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

T-Paine posted:

People who have seen Bat man or Spider Man, do they beat the bad guys this time? Spoiler alerts goons. Are the cgi fight scenes a visual treat unlike any other

Spider-Man does not beat the bad guys, he uses the power of Science to cure them of whatever hosed them up so they can stop being bad guys

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whenever china goes through an outbreak and quarantine we always end up getting a worse outbreak that completely destroys our ability to function for half a year while they are back to fully operational after a few weeks

how does this keep happening?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Spider-Man does not beat the bad guys, he uses the power of Science to cure them of whatever hosed them up so they can stop being bad guys

lmao the most lib poo poo imaginable