Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The way Scott always put it was the he knew that he was bulletproof and a loss to Kid would make his career. He did the same thing with a very young Tanahashi in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1YeYXBiB7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the WWF also wanted to have someone have a surprise win like that, especially in Raw's early period- makes it seem fresh and wild and like anything can happen. It is very cool in that context, the show's had a bunch of jobber matches so far so you get set up for another one *but wait*!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

What was the timeframe between the 123 Kid winning against Razor and HOROWITZ WINS?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What was the timeframe between the 123 Kid winning against Razor and HOROWITZ WINS?

Mid-93, mid-95

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shard posted:

The way Scott always put it was the he knew that he was bulletproof and a loss to Kid would make his career. He did the same thing with a very young Tanahashi in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1YeYXBiB7g

God I've heard the story but never actually watched the match, that is such a perfect moment, and the hubris combined with his final words is :discourse:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was there a basis for the names "Holy Demon Army" and "Miracle Violence Connection?" They seem so grandiose for a promotion that wasn't big on theatrical gimmicks and outside-the-ring storytelling. Did the names refer to each of their members, like I'm supposed to parse that one is holy and one demonic, or one violent and one miraculous? Or do they just stand on their own?

As mentioned previously, the Holy Demon army was a pun on the name ”Seikigun”. The use in english IWC stems from the era of approximation/machine translations being the norm.

Miracle Violence Connection is more simpler, since the team of Gordy and Williams were referred to as such on commentary. It wasn’t their team name, but the NTV commentator Fukuzawa loved to throw english nicknames for wrestlers constantly.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Jerusalem posted:

God I've heard the story but never actually watched the match, that is such a perfect moment, and the hubris combined with his final words is :discourse:

yeah, "this is gonna be you" the literal second he gets rolled up is just an impeccable wrestling slapstick joke. I love it.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

FakePoet posted:

I know the internet was still in its relative infancy (from my barely-teenage, wrestling fan perspective anyway); was Waltman known in those circles the way someone like...I don't know, Nick Wayne is? Not at the same age, necessarily.

I suspect it may just be my failure to look back at much of any of my early wrestling fan experiences through the modern lens of, for lack of a better term, "smark-dom". Maybe it was happening more often than I recall, even if the hit rate hasn't changed much (or has it?).

Waltman had done some great stuff in Global before coming to WWF. His matches with Jerry Lynn are basically the prototype for modern indie wrestling. Those matches certainly made the rounds on the tape trading circuit. Not sure how widely known he was, but the hardcore smarks would have certainly known who he was, at the very least. I bet looking back at the Observers from around that time would shed some light on it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Waltman had shown up in ECW then he'd have done fine because that crowd paid attention to that sort of thing (plus he was excellent)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the WWF also wanted to have someone have a surprise win like that, especially in Raw's early period- makes it seem fresh and wild and like anything can happen. It is very cool in that context, the show's had a bunch of jobber matches so far so you get set up for another one *but wait*!

It also happened during the same episode where Marty Jannetty randomly showed up, goaded Michaels into an IC title match and won. Back then, it came off as the most unpredictable episode of wrestling ever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FakePoet posted:

I know the internet was still in its relative infancy (from my barely-teenage, wrestling fan perspective anyway); was Waltman known in those circles the way someone like...I don't know, Nick Wayne is? Not at the same age, necessarily.

Can't speak for others at the time, but before Waltman came to the WWF, PWI and its sister publications were very high on him and made sure to tout him.

It was also funny how when he first debuted in the WWF, in his first couple of matches, he'd have a different moniker (The Comet Kid, The Comeback Kid, etc)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Can't speak for others at the time, but before Waltman came to the WWF, PWI and its sister publications were very high on him and made sure to tout him.

I was only 7 at the time, I knew him because of this. I wasn’t on the internet or reading the Observer, but I read all the Apter mags. Despite the fact that he was a name I knew, I still totally bought into him just being a jobber and was shocked when he got the win.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Waltman and Lynn had a lot of buzz in the dirt sheets and very early internet because of their series in Global.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
From the 1993 Observers:

quote:

Lightning Kid was hired and started at the 4/26 Raw losing in a squash submission fashion twice to Doink the Clown (not sure if it was different Doinks in the two matches) without getting any offense in. The Manhattan fans reacted surprisingly big when he came out with his name on his trunks since it's a hardcore audience, but that fact will have to be ignored when it airs on television 5/3 since he got squashed and got no offense in and was supposed to be just another faceless unknown jobber. It looks like Kid will be a babyface and be both the youngest (20) and lightest wrestler (est. 200) to get a push in WWF probably in more than a decade. He'll start as a regular after his June New Japan tour.

quote:

Lightning Kid will be using the name Kamikaze Kid, which is the name they billed him as in his debut getting squashed by Doink the Clown. That is definitely a unique method of pushing someone.

quote:

Lightning Kid was on Raw again 5/10, this time using the name Cannonball Kid and got squashed with no offense against Hughes, who is now managed by Harvey Whippleman.

quote:

Sean Waltman, this time simply wrestling as "The Kid," scored the first jobber upset in WWF history (I've been waiting seven years to see someone introduce a new star in this manner) by pinning Razor Ramon. It was set up as the typical squash with Kid selling every move big, and after Ramon missed a move, Kid did a moonsault bodyblock off the top rope for the pin. Waltman, who had worked as Kamikaze Kid and Cannonball Kid on the previous two shows in doing
total squash jobs for Doink the Clown and Mr. Hughes, got no offense in again before his pinning move.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jobbers always get wins with surprise moves like that, show me a jobber who got a win by absolutely dominating their non-jobber opponent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Jobbers always get wins with surprise moves like that, show me a jobber who got a win by absolutely dominating their non-jobber opponent.

Abadon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember liking the name Lightning/Cannonball Kid way better. Even when I was young I thought "1-2-3 Kid" was a stupid rename, because now instead of being fast as lightning or a cannonball, his character was now "capable of a pin".

harperdc posted:

*extremely deep Vince McMahon belly laugh*
Didn't Dunne just re-sign too? It's like Vince actively punishes people for sticking around. That'll show him!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know it's been discussed to death, but was anyone besides Vince aware of what was going to come out of the egg at Survivor Series '90? Mean Gene is speechless when he's normally very quick, Piper can't stop laughing incredulously, and Gorilla just keeps asking "What is it?!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm fairly certain Okerlund knew. He might not have seen the costume ahead of time, but they at least told him the name before he interviewed... it.

What are some examples of "no wasted motion" wrestlers? Frankie Kazarian comes to mind, but I've heard that term thrown around for a long time, as well as wrestlers who have a "precision" style.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I'm fairly certain Okerlund knew. He might not have seen the costume ahead of time, but they at least told him the name before he interviewed... it.

What are some examples of "no wasted motion" wrestlers? Frankie Kazarian comes to mind, but I've heard that term thrown around for a long time, as well as wrestlers who have a "precision" style.

Regal. He's the 1st person I think of when I hear that term.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Goldberg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Waltman and Lynn had a lot of buzz in the dirt sheets and very early internet because of their series in Global.

Tangentially, Global's also the first time I saw Horowitz win and he also had some baller matches with Lynn.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Was the gimmick of jobber upset to underdog face planned for Waltman? Like did they sign him as a young prospect knowing the 123 kid arc of lose a couple matches while looking better than a real jobber and then upset someone good to start his “real” career was in the works?

Or did they just want a jobber upset and Kid/Razor just happened to be there and willing to do it and it turned out well so they ran with it?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

sticklefifer posted:

Barry Windham

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

pseudodragon posted:

Was the gimmick of jobber upset to underdog face planned for Waltman? Like did they sign him as a young prospect knowing the 123 kid arc of lose a couple matches while looking better than a real jobber and then upset someone good to start his “real” career was in the works?

Or did they just want a jobber upset and Kid/Razor just happened to be there and willing to do it and it turned out well so they ran with it?
According to various interviews the "surprise upset" was the angle Waltman was pitched when he signed:

quote:

I knew probably a month beforehand, if I had to guess, because Vince and Pat called me and laid the whole thing out in detail, and it’s exactly how it ended up going. They had this thing all mapped out.

When they laid this out to me on the phone, and they were like, ‘What do you think of it?’ I couldn’t believe it. Just being brought in and just given an opportunity to get over.

‘Here’s some vignettes, and here’s a month worth of squash matches. Now go out there and get over’.

It’s the best way I can imagine being brought in, being introduced to people. It was great.

I knew it was going to be big too.”

And According to Scott Hall on the Steve Austin podcast, the whole outline of the Razor/Dibiase/1-2-3 Kid double turn storyline was pitched to him months before they even hired Waltman, with the implication they slotted Waltman into their plans once they found/saw him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQXGqApTAs0&t=383s

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
The Big-E neckbreak spot got me thinking someone explain bookers to me - I get it (at least WWE style, I think) - they lay out the match for the wrestlers -- so they're the ones who put this spot in. The wrestlers knowing its not really safe (i assume) - but sounds like they don't got a choice without going off script and pissing off Vince.

Also these bookers are usually just lovely old wrestlers who were never really anything (generally) -- names I'm thinking are Road Dogg, Tyson Kidd, D'von, Billy Kidman, Kendrick, Helms. Etc - not to mention the old ones who are dead. It seems like just a way to keep the old boys club together - and these guys are dead set it's still 1980's and wresttling should be the same....

It seems the best wrestling is when the wrestlers put the match together with eachother (with help of a (good) veteran... like AEW has with Arn, Sting, Jericho, etc) or hell even on the fly like some of the real pro's do. I think Bret was famous for this, Macho - the complete opposite.

I guess I don't know what I'm getting at, I just feel its the reason WWE is complete poo poo now - everything is exactly the same, whereas AEW every single match highlights both wrestlers, regardless who wins by showing their strength, and very little of their weakness. I think WWE could easily be fixed- fire all writers/bookers, let the wrestlers write their feuds and put together their matches. - I guarentee it would make the show watchable (if Cole/Dunn are also sent to the abyss).

I hope KO/Sami got some sort of creative control along with their poo poo LOAD OF MONEY, but even if they didn't - get that money.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hirez posted:

The Big-E neckbreak spot got me thinking someone explain bookers to me - I get it (at least WWE style, I think) - they lay out the match for the wrestlers -- so they're the ones who put this spot in. The wrestlers knowing its not really safe (i assume) - but sounds like they don't got a choice without going off script and pissing off Vince.

Also these bookers are usually just lovely old wrestlers who were never really anything (generally) -- names I'm thinking are Road Dogg, Tyson Kidd, D'von, Billy Kidman, Kendrick, Helms. Etc - not to mention the old ones who are dead. It seems like just a way to keep the old boys club together - and these guys are dead set it's still 1980's and wresttling should be the same....

It seems the best wrestling is when the wrestlers put the match together with eachother (with help of a (good) veteran... like AEW has with Arn, Sting, Jericho, etc) or hell even on the fly like some of the real pro's do. I think Bret was famous for this, Macho - the complete opposite.

I guess I don't know what I'm getting at, I just feel its the reason WWE is complete poo poo now - everything is exactly the same, whereas AEW every single match highlights both wrestlers, regardless who wins by showing their strength, and very little of their weakness. I think WWE could easily be fixed- fire all writers/bookers, let the wrestlers write their feuds and put together their matches. - I guarentee it would make the show watchable (if Cole/Dunn are also sent to the abyss).

I hope KO/Sami got some sort of creative control along with their poo poo LOAD OF MONEY, but even if they didn't - get that money.

you're confusing the booker, the person who decides who wrestles who and who goes over, with road agents, the people who lay out the match and give the wrestlers their spots in wwe

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Traditionally the booker decides the outcome and usually some details of the finish (as well as the length obviously), and there's also a road agent who takes those notes to the wrestlers and helps them work out the rest. I'm not sure how much this holds in the era of cell phones and Zoom where everyone can just, you know, talk to each other wherever they are, but the road agent is generally credited with/blamed for how much of the match goes.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Road dogg and Tyson Kidd were both absolutely something in different aspects of the business stopped reading that post there.

E: ok I read more also, no, Billy Kidman, Brian kendrick, and Shane helms probably do not think it’s still the eighties.

0konner fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 17, 2022

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hirez posted:

Also these bookers are usually just lovely old wrestlers who were never really anything (generally) -- names I'm thinking are Road Dogg, Tyson Kidd, D'von, Billy Kidman, Kendrick, Helms. Etc

Literally every person on that list is a multi time singles and tag champion in WCW/WWE

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hirez posted:

Don't lump Tyson Kidd in with the rest of those chucklefucks. Dude knows what he's doing and has been the agent for a great deal of the better women's matches in the company in recent memory. A lot of the women's roster has talked about how much they like working with him and how well he does.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tyson was real fun paired with cesaro before his freak injury and I'm still shocked the dude can move around even if it was too much to ask to see him back in the ring

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hirez posted:

names I'm thinking are Road Dogg, Tyson Kidd, D'von, Billy Kidman, Kendrick, Helms.

What a weird rear end take sitting in here. Kidman and Helms where effectively carrying the work rate for WCW even before the ship was known to have sunk, Road Dogg and D'Von where one half of possibly the top five tag teams in the history of WWE and certainly in the running for top twenty tag teams ever, and Kendrick had a respectable tag run and from what I remember a pretty fun main event smack down run. If any of that translates to being able to agent a match for someone else is another question entirely, but to minimize those guys' careers as "lovely old wrestlers who never did anything" is hilarious.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 17, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

When I look at Brian Kendrick and Billy Kidman I see guys dead set on keeping wrestling the way it was in the 80s.

And when I look at Tyson Kidd I see a lovely old wrestler.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there are dozens of spots on every card and usually more than that where somebody could break their neck if the people didn't do it right

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

When I look at Brian Kendrick and Billy Kidman I see guys dead set on keeping wrestling the way it was in the 80s.

And when I look at Tyson Kidd I see a lovely old wrestler.

‘88 specifically for Kendrick.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was it Fit Finlay that got fired because The Miz interrupted the national anthem for heat at a house show and the armed forces dudes got all riled up about it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was it Fit Finlay that got fired because The Miz interrupted the national anthem for heat at a house show and the armed forces dudes got all riled up about it?

Yep. He was effectively in charge and took the fall. He got brought back though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

FakePoet posted:

I suspect it may just be my failure to look back at much of any of my early wrestling fan experiences through the modern lens of, for lack of a better term, "smark-dom". Maybe it was happening more often than I recall, even if the hit rate hasn't changed much (or has it?).
He had become an underground favorite in late '89-early '91 as tapes of his early matches with Jerry Lynn circulated, and then, when Joe Pedicino's GWF finally launched in June '91, both of them were hired to anchor the light heavyweight division. With the GWF on ESPN multiple days a week and also replacing USWA Challenge (previously WCCW) in syndication, it had a pretty decent audience, so they (especially Waltman, the more spectacular of the two as well as the stronger character) picked up a lot of steam. But when the GWF cut costs and stopped flying in the non-Texas-based wrestlers, they were gone. Aside from a blink and you'll miss it stint in Tony Mara's short-lived NAWA on SportsChannel America (which was in a lot less homes than ESPN and the like).

So for the year between GWF and WWF runs, he was pretty much an indie wrestler with above-average name value. He did get a WCW tryout right as he left the GWF, but presumably because it was right as Bill Watts—who clearly didn't see the value in the Pillman/Liger-centered version of the light heavyweight division—took over the company, he didn't get signed. He did another pair of tours for Universal Lucha Libre (colloquially "Hamada's UWF") in Japan, where he had started working in January, but other than that, his most high-profile work was some scattered dates for Dennis Coralluzzo. He did work the 1993 Top of the Super Junior tournament for NJPW, but it was something he committed to before signing to the WWF and he was in Japan as the Razor storyline was ongoing. (They even acknowledged it on Raw, having Waltman call in from the Japanese tour to respond to Razor's rematch challenges.) Maybe he could have become an NJPW regular, I dunno, but you can see why he signed with the WWF given the storyline pitch he got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

He had become an underground favorite in late '89-early '91 as tapes of his early matches with Jerry Lynn circulated, and then, when Joe Pedicino's GWF finally launched in June '91, both of them were hired to anchor the light heavyweight division. With the GWF on ESPN multiple days a week and also replacing USWA Challenge (previously WCCW) in syndication, it had a pretty decent audience, so they (especially Waltman, the more spectacular of the two as well as the stronger character) picked up a lot of steam. But when the GWF cut costs and stopped flying in the non-Texas-based wrestlers, they were gone. Aside from a blink and you'll miss it stint in Tony Mara's short-lived NAWA on SportsChannel America (which was in a lot less homes than ESPN and the like).

Tangentially the BTS special on Global was fascinating. When you start with a 'Nigerian investor' or whatever it was you know you're in for a wild ride.