Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

[look at the brand name]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

I wonder if that rapid thinner is just leveling thinner without the retarder, aka hardware store lacquer thinner. Which isn't actually a bad thing. I use straight lacquer thinner with Mr. Color paints when I want to build up a lot of thin coats fast.

edit: is there a backstory to the tractor pulling the tank?

Leveling thinner without the retarder is the normal Mr Color Thinner. Rapid thinner is a different product that they say is better for metallics or matte finishes.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
1:72 Revell M2A2 Bradley.

Quite a decent kit.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Nice work! Revell's 1/72 armour range is actually pretty good, far less variable than their aircraft.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of them seem to be downscaled Italeri 1/48 scale kits, which makes things a little fiddly at times.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I recently got my models out of storage and threw them on a shelf without any thought, and realized I'd accidentally done a little 1960s time capsule.

I do wish they were all the same scale though.

Edit: Just noticed the sideview mirror on the bus broke in transit. Whoops.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I recently got my models out of storage and threw them on a shelf without any thought, and realized I'd accidentally done a little 1960s time capsule.

I do wish they were all the same scale though.

I choose to believe that the APC goes around informing people about things like spotting domestic abuse and the importance of staying in school.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slugworth posted:

Now it's even more authentic !

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

tidal wave emulator posted:

Nice work! Revell's 1/72 armour range is actually pretty good, far less variable than their aircraft.

I normally don't build armor but the few Revell kits I've built in this scale have been pretty good. Still gotta pick up a Boxer MRAV in that scale too.

They also occasionally rerelease old 1:76 kits from what I've noticed, and I recall in one case one got labeled as being 1:72, which is just sneaky.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The 1/76 kits are Matchbox reissues and usually come with crew figures and a little diorama base. I love them.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

From what I remember when I was interested in trying one out, the semi-recent Bandai transforming VF-1 kits were supposed to be kind of dodgy and floppy, but the VF-25 and 31s were ok (if sticker hell)? I'd still be worried about scraping the paint, had I ever painted a drat thing in my life.

If I did get a Bandai kit though I'd want to try out http://dalong.net/reviews/etc/md03/md03_p.htm , not because I have any connection to the show or the character but because a transforming Saab Draken is pretty cool

I built the Draken III in Mirage's colors about a month ago, still need to paint it. Still a little fiddly to transform since Bandai hates to put alignment pegs on the kits but better than the VF-25 and VF-1 kits they put out. The main body transformation is pretty wild compared to other Valks.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Can I get an airbrush recommendation? I've had an old $30 Master airbrush for years, the trigger is getting sticky (I probably got some cleaner in there by mistake) but looking into the repair process and how much enjoyment I've gotten out of this hobby I figure I might as well upgrade. The Badger line looks good and affordable to me. My local Blick has mostly Iwata stuff. I mostly paint miniatures these days but I have a few gunpla projects waiting for warmer weather.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

Can I get an airbrush recommendation? I've had an old $30 Master airbrush for years, the trigger is getting sticky (I probably got some cleaner in there by mistake) but looking into the repair process and how much enjoyment I've gotten out of this hobby I figure I might as well upgrade. The Badger line looks good and affordable to me. My local Blick has mostly Iwata stuff. I mostly paint miniatures these days but I have a few gunpla projects waiting for warmer weather.

I have a Badger Patriot 105 and it works decently enough.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Marx Headroom posted:

If you're in the US, The Badger Patriot 105 is a good sturdy easy to maintain brush and readily available. You can often find them on sale for ~$65.
If you're not in the US they can be harder to get so a Panache or Iwata are probably better choices.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

In a similar vein, Mig 29 kits and Ukrainian digital camo masking sets are now sold out across the web as every aircraft modeler out there is now building a Ghost of Kiev model.

I spotted this mock-up of a Zvezda Ghost of Kiev kit that's been doing the rounds on fb.

Well, someone made the masks for a 1:32 version. And of course a 1:72 version.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

I've painted several gunpla kits with a Badger P105. It's a good airbrush, well-made and with a wealth of videos online for how to git gud. Cleaning is easy, and if you run a shot of cleaner every time you change colors you won't have to take it apart very often.

Protip: get some beads, hematite or other stone, not glass, about 8mm and put a couple in all your bottles of primer. They do wonders to help shake things up.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Seems pretty unanimous and in line with where I was leaning. Thanks!

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Protip: get some beads, hematite or other stone, not glass, about 8mm and put a couple in all your bottles of primer. They do wonders to help shake things up.

I got a thing of 100 little metal balls off amazon for a few bucks and throw them in all my paints.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've never had to call Badger customer support, but I've heard it is excellent. The main thing I don't like about Badger is that their air hose fittings are much smaller than Iwata. Iwata uses what seems to be the industry standard sized fittings so your hoses will hook right up to dehydrators, manifolds, or quick releases. With Badger, you might have to get adapters or hoses with a badger fitting on one end and a standard fitting on the other.

I have a pair of Badger 150s that I used for years and they were good airbrushes. The only reason I don't use them any more is that they are siphon feed. I picked up an Iwata HP-CS gravity feed maybe a decade ago and haven't used either of those 150s since then. I much prefer gravity feed over siphon feed due to less parts and much easier cleaning.

I also picked up a Badger SOTAR 20-20 a few years back from Amazon when it was on sale. It is also a good airbrush, but I rarely use it. With the Iwata being my main workhorse, the only time I really use the 20-20 is when I need REAL fine lines. It is excellent at detail work.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I got a Badger Xtreme Patriot (lol) 105 as my first 'proper' airbrush after using the cheapo one that came with my compressor for a few months. I do like the tall trigger it has which sets it apart from the rest of my airbrushes now, but one downside is that Badger needles can only be removed from the back due to the wee plastic ball on the end of them - usually I prefer pulling the needle out from the front so it doesn't drag paint through the whole mechanism.

I recently got a Mr Hobby Procon Boy PS-270 (which I believe is made in the same factory as Iwatas) and it's wonderful to use. Great handfeel.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phy posted:

From what I remember when I was interested in trying one out, the semi-recent Bandai transforming VF-1 kits were supposed to be kind of dodgy and floppy, but the VF-25 and 31s were ok (if sticker hell)? I'd still be worried about scraping the paint, had I ever painted a drat thing in my life.

If I did get a Bandai kit though I'd want to try out http://dalong.net/reviews/etc/md03/md03_p.htm , not because I have any connection to the show or the character but because a transforming Saab Draken is pretty cool

The non-transforming Hasegawa kits are decent, though they really need to overhaul the VF-1 molds because the alignment pins don't align anymore.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I recently got a Mr Hobby Procon Boy PS-270 (which I believe is made in the same factory as Iwatas) and it's wonderful to use. Great handfeel.

I don't have any personal experience with Badgers but I highly recommend Mr Hobby (also known as GSI Creos) airbrushes. I have the PS-289 which is a .3 needle and PS-290 which is a .5 needle and I feel like that pretty much covers everything. They are great airbrushes they atomize paint very well and the prices are good too for the Japanese built quality I think I paid like $150 each?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Charliegrs posted:

I don't have any personal experience with Badgers but I highly recommend Mr Hobby (also known as GSI Creos) airbrushes. I have the PS-289 which is a .3 needle and PS-290 which is a .5 needle and I feel like that pretty much covers everything. They are great airbrushes they atomize paint very well and the prices are good too for the Japanese built quality I think I paid like $150 each?

I have the same pair and love them both. The PS-290 in particular does 90% of what I need while being extremely sturdy and easy to clean/maintain.

I had a Badger 105 previously and it was fine and reliable but something of a blunt instrument compared to the Mr Hobby brushes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sometimes it feels like a kit has a million pieces and each one hates you personally. The Miniart GAZ-AAA with M4 Maxim is one of those kits.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s some good looking snow.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
miniart kits are, ime, all actively hostile to the builder. i had one of their american tractors and that was one of my only modeling DNFs.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I built their BA-64, T-70 and T-80 before, plus lots of figure sets, and those were all fine. This was easily more frustration than all those combined. I'm eying the WE-210 tracks in my stash with great suspicion, but I know they can't be worse than the Bronco ones.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The camouflage striping turned out nicely.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Ensign Expendable posted:

Sometimes it feels like a kit has a million pieces and each one hates you personally. The Miniart GAZ-AAA with M4 Maxim is one of those kits.

I can hear the delicate *tink* as the gunsight hits the floor after I try to manhandle something that delicate.

Great look on those paint stripes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks! My masking tape had a lot of trouble staying on, and also you can see that they're not exactly parallel in all cases. I think this is still the best winter camo I've ever painted.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Bill Posters posted:

I have the same pair and love them both. The PS-290 in particular does 90% of what I need while being extremely sturdy and easy to clean/maintain.

I had a Badger 105 previously and it was fine and reliable but something of a blunt instrument compared to the Mr Hobby brushes.

Do you find you get much paint build-up on the needle and in the area immediately behind the cup? I've found this takes the longest to clean on my PS-270, and I'm not sure if that means the needle packing seal needs replaced (although it's supposed to be solvent-proof) or if there's a bit of a gap between the cup and the needle packing mechanism that paint gathers in. This image indicates the latter is possibly the case:

I think with my Badger the seal is immediately behind the cup and so it doesn't take as much wiggling the the needle back and forth to clean the paint from there.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Do you find you get much paint build-up on the needle and in the area immediately behind the cup? I've found this takes the longest to clean on my PS-270, and I'm not sure if that means the needle packing seal needs replaced (although it's supposed to be solvent-proof) or if there's a bit of a gap between the cup and the needle packing mechanism that paint gathers in. This image indicates the latter is possibly the case:

I think with my Badger the seal is immediately behind the cup and so it doesn't take as much wiggling the the needle back and forth to clean the paint from there.

You can tighten that needle packing screw if you want a stronger seal. If you're going to do this you need to be careful since it could permanently deform the teflon ring.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Thanks! My masking tape had a lot of trouble staying on, and also you can see that they're not exactly parallel in all cases. I think this is still the best winter camo I've ever painted.

what did you use for the snow?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Some more progress on the KGV

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Immolat1on posted:

what did you use for the snow?

Vallejo acrylic snow 73.820.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

The non-transforming Hasegawa kits are decent, though they really need to overhaul the VF-1 molds because the alignment pins don't align anymore.

I'm working on a VF-25 Super Messiah right now, which was probably well above my skill level when I started. Even allowing for the "git gud" factor, there's some janky bits on this kit. More than a couple of assemblies just do not have clear pictures of how they fit.

It's also decal hell, 178 numbered decals many of which have multiples. And to top things off, the painting guide isn't in color. I wound up finding a color guide online and printing it to go with the b&w diagram.

tl;dr Not super happy with Hasegawa

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
To be fair, that's less the Hasegawa experience and more the Hasegawa Macross experience. There's a lot of really goofy attempts to reuse parts between the various fighter modes and it doesn't really work.

The multi-layer decals are dumb as hell, though, no argument there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Saw this amazing build on Armorama today. Titled "Calm Ripples", by Young Won. Check out more pics at the link below.

https://armorama.com/news/calm-ripples-inspirations-by-young-won

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Thats amazing!

Armorama is still around.

Diorama is pretty good too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sometimes it feels like a kit has a million pieces and each one hates you personally.
Yeah, I've built a miniart model too.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

miniart kits are, ime, all actively hostile to the builder. i had one of their american tractors and that was one of my only modeling DNFs.

Yeah, that'd be the one.

Regardless, that thing came out amazing, and I've added it to my list of purchases.