Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

america only recently discovered that beer can “taste good” and “there’s different kinds of beer”

IPA for some reason is now “that beer that tastes like something instead of normal beer” aka bud light aka liquid wonder-bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Job search update!

I've had a screening call with a company I'd sent my cover letter with the "no live-coding tech interviews" proviso in it. The position is a senior dev, two steps below SDM in their org. But, it's an almost exact match with my experience and skills, and I don't mind going back to IC to be fully remote and potentially make something closer to what I'm worth in the market, or at least what the *position* is worth.

They read my cover letter and they specifically called out my proviso, saying "yeah we don't do that here, we send out a small dev exercise." Fuckin perfect.

Oh and also the salary for this position would be a 65% increase over my current salary.

Wish me luck, goons!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Scientastic posted:

A few pf the unfireables in my company have adopted this very pause-heavy way of public speaking. I guess they think it makes them sound like Barack Obama, but the unintended consequence is that you can play everything at double speed and still get the message.

A common thing that gets taught in public speaking classes is to avoid ums and uhs - it’s preferable to have a bit of silence instead of using full words and sounds. The upshot of that should be to be a bit more deliberate with your speech, but instead it turns people into William Shatner caricatures.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought "hazy" IPAs were just breweries trying to market saving money on finings by calling it a new style

im looking at you White Claw

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Job search update!

I've had a screening call with a company I'd sent my cover letter with the "no live-coding tech interviews" proviso in it. The position is a senior dev, two steps below SDM in their org. But, it's an almost exact match with my experience and skills, and I don't mind going back to IC to be fully remote and potentially make something closer to what I'm worth in the market, or at least what the *position* is worth.

They read my cover letter and they specifically called out my proviso, saying "yeah we don't do that here, we send out a small dev exercise." Fuckin perfect.

Oh and also the salary for this position would be a 65% increase over my current salary.

Wish me luck, goons!

Pfffft, 65% increase, look at Small Potatoes over here. (GOOD LUCK!)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dongsturm posted:

finally I understand what my partner feels like when I talk computers in front of her

And when I hear about quantum computing, or encabulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

I still don't know what it does.

naem
May 29, 2011

Volmarias posted:

And when I hear about quantum computing, or encabulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

I still don't know what it does.

this should explain

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Freaquency posted:

A common thing that gets taught in public speaking classes is to avoid ums and uhs - it’s preferable to have a bit of silence instead of using full words and sounds. The upshot of that should be to be a bit more deliberate with your speech, but instead it turns people into William Shatner caricatures.
I have completely replaced ums and uhhs with stuttering or silence. I still hmmm for dramatic effect some time.

I'm in client facing consulting and people routinely think I'm smart so I guess stuttering Will Shatner is the future.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spent the last two hours of the day yesterday getting ranted at by a user because I wouldn't replace a laptop that has a microphone issue on Teams. We have about six PCs that can be deployed, unless your PC is on fire or actually a mimic, the official stance for my team is "pound sand, order a replacement through procurement, and enjoy waiting two months because they have no stock either." I asked if he tried a headset (90% of the 'My mic doesn't work" tickets we get just need a headset for the user to be happy). Cue a rant about how he doesn't have one and shouldn't have to order one (We used to hand them out like candy because of the pandemic, but Asset Management cut off the supply and declared users have to order them through procurement).

I tried to remote in, but his network speed was being measured in kilobits per second and drat near double digit kilobits at that. Cue another rant that it's NOT his network connection, He's gonna escalate to my manager (Who by this point is over my shoulder, reading everything and slowly shaking his head). I gave up, told him I'd reach out to him tomorrow and GTFO for the day.

Today, his connection was better, but not much. I reinstalled his audio drivers (mostly to shut him up, by yesterday, I'd seen enough to decide it's a combination of poo poo-rear end network and using the loving internal mic), and asked him to do a test call.

"Oh, I've just been using my phone to dial in to Teams for the last two weeks."

I'm glad I'm working from home today, but the dog did not like my screaming.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pretty helpful actually, thank you!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

20 Blunts posted:

im looking at you White Claw

There's a white claw IPA?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wa27 posted:

My boss upgraded to a new version of office and now she yells at me every time she opens an old spreadsheet and sees a "#######" in a field. So I have to run in and resize the column for her, all while getting an earful about how I broke it and how this new computer isn't working for her. :shrug:

Ok this is an easy fix: The next time she does this go to her office as usual, but before you fix the excel sheet place a metal bucket on her head and hit it with a mallet.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Neito posted:

There's a white claw IPA?

i just thought white claw was all the vodka remnants

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

wa27 posted:

My boss upgraded to a new version of office and now she yells at me every time she opens an old spreadsheet and sees a "#######" in a field. So I have to run in and resize the column for her, all while getting an earful about how I broke it and how this new computer isn't working for her. :shrug:

Better, stand behind her and maker her move the mouse to fix it. Don't touch it yourself.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I found out recently that one of the managers in my team has been going into every cell with numbers in it and manually adding commas and dollar signs, and deleting all the decimal places after the first two.

These are spreadsheets of tens of columns, and thousands of lines.

No wonder he says he’s too busy to coach his team.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I found out recently that one of the managers in my team has been going into every cell with numbers in it and manually adding commas and dollar signs, and deleting all the decimal places after the first two.

…these are text fields aren’t they?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

…these are text fields aren’t they?

They are now.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Scientastic posted:

this is amazing, I am gonna remember that one for a while.

I got known as the "problem finder" in excel and got handed a 38MB .xls with lots of sheets and what looked like maybe a dozen columns in each sheet? It should have been maybe 3MB at most. Anyway, it took like 2 minutes to open when I looked closer, I noticed the left-right scroll tab was really, really small. Someone had used the white cell fill and filled in every available cell in every sheet because they didn't like the way the grid looked. It took many minutes but I was able to clear all the color formatting and then delete all the columns. It ended up being around 750kb.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Boss decided to accept a 200-person breakfast service order for a hotel.

It’s due tomorrow, she only told us yesterday, and I’m the only full time baker.

Yeah I think I’m looking for another baking job. If my boss can’t or won’t pay us what we’re worth and can’t or won’t guarantee that she won’t drop an order like this on me again, then I need to be somewhere else.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My executives didn't want to approve a raise for a couple of my managers on mat leave because apparently we can only measure performance if there's twelve consecutive months of it in the same calendar year. It got a bit heated.

I'm also embroiled in a fight to get our hourly staff (80%+ female immigrants) sick days.

Meanwhile my calendar keeps filling up with mandatory EDI training. What a fake idea that turned out to be lol.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Scientastic posted:

Half of my job is cleaning up after these people. Thank him for keeping me employed.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

Boss decided to accept a 200-person breakfast service order for a hotel.

It’s due tomorrow, she only told us yesterday, and I’m the only full time baker.

Yeah I think I’m looking for another baking job. If my boss can’t or won’t pay us what we’re worth and can’t or won’t guarantee that she won’t drop an order like this on me again, then I need to be somewhere else.

your boss is a donut hole

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sootikins posted:

I got known as the "problem finder" in excel and got handed a 38MB .xls with lots of sheets and what looked like maybe a dozen columns in each sheet? It should have been maybe 3MB at most. Anyway, it took like 2 minutes to open when I looked closer, I noticed the left-right scroll tab was really, really small. Someone had used the white cell fill and filled in every available cell in every sheet because they didn't like the way the grid looked. It took many minutes but I was able to clear all the color formatting and then delete all the columns. It ended up being around 750kb.

Our manager sends out about a dozen pictures of anything he sees in the plant that he doesn’t like every day. My boss puts them into powerpoint (…) so he can keep track of fixing them. After a few weeks he called me over because the spreadsheet was taking too long to open.

The pictures were all sent at full size and put in the presentation at full size. The thing was rapidly closing in on a gig. I showed him how to compress the pictures but he doesn’t understand it so every Monday I go into the presentation and do that.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought "hazy" IPAs were just breweries trying to market saving money on finings by calling it a new style

Something something taking the hoppies to isinglass

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

evilpicard posted:

My executives didn't want to approve a raise for a couple of my managers on mat leave because apparently we can only measure performance if there's twelve consecutive months of it in the same calendar year. It got a bit heated.

I'm also embroiled in a fight to get our hourly staff (80%+ female immigrants) sick days.

Meanwhile my calendar keeps filling up with mandatory EDI training. What a fake idea that turned out to be lol.

In my org women on unpaid mat leave don't get COLA pay rises. Absolutely awful and bizarre.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Our manager sends out about a dozen pictures of anything he sees in the plant that he doesn’t like every day. My boss puts them into powerpoint (…) so he can keep track of fixing them. After a few weeks he called me over because the spreadsheet was taking too long to open.

The pictures were all sent at full size and put in the presentation at full size. The thing was rapidly closing in on a gig. I showed him how to compress the pictures but he doesn’t understand it so every Monday I go into the presentation and do that.

Can you get your boss onto Trello or something? I'm pretty sure you can drag/drop images into tickets and they even show up as a nice background on the tickets in the board view.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

More stories of excel idiots please, Im almost there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Freaquency posted:

Those are usually referred to as "vocal pauses." I took a public speaking course when I was knocking out my undergrad credits, and it was a really useful course. I'd already done a fair amount of public speaking, but having a more disciplined approach and getting rid of the vocal pauses really helps. People usually don't have a good sense of how fast they are speaking, and when nervous tend to speak faster, so just slowing things down makes a big difference. What feels like talking slow actually comes across to other people as confident and well-informed.

People in that class and when I did presentations in other situations afterward used to tell me I must have rehearsed a lot to have a delivery that smooth. The joke was on them - I don't rehearse at all, and aside from occasional index cards with facts or bullet-points on them I make it up as I go along. I mean I have a mental outline of what I want to cover, but I don't script or rehearse poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Back at the advertising agency the summer intern one year was tasked with assembling a library of hi-res images. She was putting them into PowerPoint. I only heard about this when the .ppt broke the 2 GB barrier the day before it was due. Normally she'd be SOL on this, but I had a way to both save the day and make the suppurating rear end in a top hat I worked for eat poo poo in public.

See, his boss had given me a copy of Apple's Keynote 1.0 that he'd picked up at MacWorld the year before. rear end in a top hat Boss eventually forbade me from using it, in writing. Non-standard software or some bullshit like that. I ahd been using it and its templates to make decks. But what I spent most of my time with it was... rescuing corrupt PPT files. Keynote could import a .ppt, and it could open files that PowerPoint wouldn't.

So I told the intern to email me a request for help. I replied with a "well I could fix that, but I have been forbidden to use the tool that would do the job. And here's a copy of the email saying so. My hands are tied, so sorry." I cc'd some senior people in the office, and my boss' boss and sat back and waited for the fireworks. They were pretty spectacular. I got to use Keynote again, and I rescued the intern's file, and got to use it as a teaching moment about file types, files sizes, and resolution. Don't be ignorant about image resolution around someone who does prepress support, you will be lectured; it's a reflex we can't help it.

Unfortunately it wasn't enough to get my boss in real trouble, but a year later I got out of that hellhole with a nice "go away quietly" package.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It's more than that. More "traditional" west coast IPAs sometimes had a certain amount of colloidal haze or hop haze and a certain amount was considered acceptable. These beers usually used American or British ale yeasts that would drop out of suspension during the maturation or lagering period.

NEIPA was built off of a yeast someone discovered/created called Conan which they only gave to some breweries in NH if I'm remembering the story correctly. This yeast staid in suspension more like with a Bavarian hefeweissen, making the beer cloudier, which made the beer fruitier. Around this time brewers were experimenting and finding if they added a lot more hops during the end of the brewing process, so at the very end of the boil in the whirlpool they'd get more of the fruity characteristics from more new world, especially NZ hops. They also started dry hopping in larger quantities during fermentation as opposed to during maturation/lagering as was traditionally done. This apparently caused biotransformation of the hop oils leading to a fruitier, jucier character. These things were traditionally avoided in order to avoid hop haze, but these brewers were arguing that this was a new way of doing things and while the beer may suffer aesthetically, the juice was officially loose.

People also started moving away from using pale ale malt and switching to lighter pilsner malts to bring the hops more front and center, but in order for the beer to still have body and mouth feel to help those juicier characteristics, would add a certain amount of wheat malt as well as rolled oats. These ingredients do have a purpose but then haze bros would go around saying that you could tell how juicy a beer was based on how hazy it was because more haze came from more late stage hop additions. This isn't the case really, but people believed it so some places started throwing flour into the boil kettle for a pectin haze, and others started adding enzymes to their tanks that attached to existing particles that people couldn't see with the naked eye and made them visible and thus the beer more hazy. So now there are people who will say things like "That NEIPA was okay, but it wasn't hazy enough." and even though I don't like the style it makes me want to tear my loving hair out.

Edit: I may have some details on the origin incorrect but I'm pretty sure the broad strokes are right.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

naem posted:

america only recently discovered that beer can “taste good” and “there’s different kinds of beer”

IPA for some reason is now “that beer that tastes like something instead of normal beer” aka bud light aka liquid wonder-bread

Brut IPA is just crappy saison

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like miller high life when I'm in a beer mood

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

pile of brown posted:

I like miller high life when I'm in a beer mood

It's a solid one. Here I generally drink Sapporo or Yebisu if I'm grabbing beer at the convenience store or supermarket. Sometimes The Premium Malts.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
China is currently undergoing some sort of beer renaissance, in that mainstream shops and people are demanding and getting stuff that isn't generic lager.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sootikins posted:

In my old job we used to get xlsx price lists from a supplier that were sometimes so big that our email system would reject them. They were adding outlines to the fields by selecting the column headers and hitting the outline button, so we'd have a few hundred rows of info followed by literally a million rows of bordered but otherwise empty cells.

e: every so often I'd explain what the issue was and how to avoid it, but they'd always just panick and send me a Dropbox link instead.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 19, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

brut ipas and black ipas are nice imo

but i will fight the new englander wherever i see it

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I love the beer posts.

Got into home brewing a couple years ago and one of the big ohhh moments for me was realizing that making beer clear was harder than hazy, and that the more simple the style the easier it was to gently caress up. Also that making an identical beer batch after batch is nearly impossible.

Before that my guess of brewer skill to beer style was backwards.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Those are usually referred to as "vocal pauses." I took a public speaking course when I was knocking out my undergrad credits, and it was a really useful course. I'd already done a fair amount of public speaking, but having a more disciplined approach and getting rid of the vocal pauses really helps. People usually don't have a good sense of how fast they are speaking, and when nervous tend to speak faster, so just slowing things down makes a big difference. What feels like talking slow actually comes across to other people as confident and well-informed.

People in that class and when I did presentations in other situations afterward used to tell me I must have rehearsed a lot to have a delivery that smooth. The joke was on them - I don't rehearse at all, and aside from occasional index cards with facts or bullet-points on them I make it up as I go along. I mean I have a mental outline of what I want to cover, but I don't script or rehearse poo poo.

I agree completely - getting rid of the vocal pauses is a good way to improve your speaking. I think the problem is that a lot of these people that the OP was talking about take a 2-day Dale Carnegie course or whatever, hear “saying um and ah are bad” and just stop doing that without being taught how to excise that space those sounds were originally filling.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

blatman posted:

your boss is a donut hole

Today she brought in her mom to help, and her mom is the kind of person who just gets louder when she thinks she isn’t being understood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m usually good with most beers, including IPA’s, but NEIPA’s are vile and I’ve poured out more than I’ve drank whenever I’ve tried them