Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What the poo poo was that move Buddy Murphy did on Rampage tonight? Like some kind of pumphandle snap Death Valley driver? The camera was all over the place and the move itself looked crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What the poo poo was that move Buddy Murphy did on Rampage tonight? Like some kind of pumphandle snap Death Valley driver? The camera was all over the place and the move itself looked crazy.

its his finisher, Murphy's Law

or Matthews' Law now I guess until it gets an official spooky name

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Are there more graphics like this or more official things like the NOAH preshow whiteboard to keep track of rivalries and factions for other companies? I really enjoy looking through them and finding some new connection each time

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The Whale Hunt, invented by Shuji Kondo

tbh if they can't call it Murphy's Law, I would be happy if they just straight up called it the Whale Hunt

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
At least three times in the past year when I've wondered about the origin of a move, it turned out Shuji Kondo innovated it. He's a lot more influential than I think people give him credit for.

Has any other wrestler ever done the Ashi Yoshino II? The setup is similar to Marty Jannetty's Rocker Dropper, but it's more of an arm-trap move than a facebuster.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Has anyone ever actually won a match by "reversing the pressure" of a figure four?

I'm imagining someone like Brandon Cutler being super proud that they got someone in it and then frantically tapping as soon as it gets reversed.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are some examples of heel turns while the wrestler is a current champion?

Like CM Punk in 2012 turning heel and aligning with Paul Heyman.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Young Bucks were face when they beat FTR for the AEW tag titles, then turned heel along with Kenny.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Okada pretty much turned heel towards the end of his 2016-18 IWGP title run

thinking specifically about the build to Okada/Omega IV, where Omega was training harder than he'd ever trained in his life, taking this more seriously than any match he'd ever wrestled, whereas Okada basically just went fishing and pissed about until Dominion

fun angle tbh

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Nigel McGuinness turning heel by getting Bryan Danielson to agree to an ROH title match with no strikes to the head (the bad ROH fans turned on Nigel because he missed a match with a concussion) and then repeatedly striking Bryan Danielson's head.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Alberto del Rio during his '13 WHC run. Even got a double-turn out of it in a match against Ziggler.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Randy Savage in his first WWF title run

Ric Flair had a run where, during a NWA title reign, he was a heel, turned face for a feud against Nikita Koloff, then turned heel again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Nigel McGuinness turning heel by getting Bryan Danielson to agree to an ROH title match with no strikes to the head (the bad ROH fans turned on Nigel because he missed a match with a concussion) and then repeatedly striking Bryan Danielson's head.

Nigel was so incredibly loving awesome

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was reading the Young Bucks' book and they mentioned a triple threat ladder match in PWG against Super Smash Bros and Cole/O'Reilly. Is that match online anywhere? I want to see it.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Berzerker posted:

I was reading the Young Bucks' book and they mentioned a triple threat ladder match in PWG against Super Smash Bros and Cole/O'Reilly. Is that match online anywhere? I want to see it.

Here you go, it was the main event of Threemendous III from 2012 (link is for the whole show, skip to 2:06:35). Unfortunately it only comes in 480p unless you have a bilibili account

e: pretty sure it's Kevin Steen on comms with Excalibur, but I could be mistaken

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Berzerker posted:

Every PWG show pre-pandemic is up on the Highspots Network, which is $9.99/month. They used to get uploaded there about 12 months after the shows happened IIRC but a quick check & I see they have Mystery Vortex 7 from last summer up to watch. Plus rakes of shoot interviews the Best Friends interviews, Kevin Steen Show (which is where the clip of him smashing a mug for his wrestling figure Austin's theme music when he's 17 comes from), and loads of stuff from various indies.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thank you both!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SG Bamboo posted:

e: pretty sure it's Kevin Steen on comms with Excalibur, but I could be mistaken

It is, and it is glorious.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I cannot believe I finally caught up with the wrestling questions thread

O.K. here it comes, my question that does not deserve its own thread:

Why did the Initiative break up the moment I bought their shirt

Almost as importantly, why does nobody ever talk about the WWC when saying "all" American territories died? Sounds like they have been plugging right along down there since the 1970s and even doing fairly good business in the process. I imagine the answer is just "people do not think of Puerto Rico as America"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

I cannot believe I finally caught up with the wrestling questions thread

O.K. here it comes, my question that does not deserve its own thread:

Why did the Initiative break up the moment I bought their shirt

Almost as importantly, why does nobody ever talk about the WWC when saying "all" American territories died? Sounds like they have been plugging right along down there since the 1970s and even doing fairly good business in the process. I imagine the answer is just "people do not think of Puerto Rico as America"

My only ancendotal answer to why do people not talk about WWC is that my reaction to this question was What's WWC never heard of it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dr. Quarex posted:

I'm sure part of it is that PR isn't an official state, but Hawaii's 50th State Big Time Wrestling (where High Chief Peter Maivia was a big star) had similar issues: Both covered less ground for obvious geographical reasons, being remote and detached from mainland US, so they couldn't tour or expand.

Territories in the continental 48 states (and Canadian ones that crossed the border) usually spanned multiple states or portions of states in their major tour circuits, and often shared territory in major cities. You can't do that if you're the only game in town and you're on a small island, unless you want to pay to fly everyone around all the time. The best most of them could do is fly their biggest star somewhere for a stint, or have another mainland territory fly in one of their own. That's why in WWC's case you pretty much only ever hear of wrestlers from other territories working with Carlos Colon. So when the mainland territories died, it was the touring circuit that died.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Shard posted:

My only ancendotal answer to why do people not talk about WWC is that my reaction to this question was What's WWC never heard of it.

When people talk about "Puerto Rico wrestling," WWC is usually the promotion they're talking about

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

When people talk about "Puerto Rico wrestling," WWC is usually the promotion they're talking about

That or IWA-PR, but that came later than the territories.

IWA-PR titles are defended in MLW now though; Mil Muertes is the Caribbean champion and 5150 (Danny Limelight & Slice Boogie) are their tag champs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I like Yuji Okabayashi but it's hard to find Big Japan Strong and context for it. Anything I should see (and show to a friend who's even more unfamiliar?)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wrestlers going by a mononym like a Brazilian football player is cool and all, but when did those names being stylised in ALL CAPS like KENTA or DOUKI or BUSHI become a thing?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Wrestlers going by a mononym like a Brazilian football player is cool and all, but when did those names being stylised in ALL CAPS like KENTA or DOUKI or BUSHI become a thing?

usually it's a case of stylization carry over from the names being written in katakana instead of kanji but i don't know if that explains those three names specifically

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

not a mononym but i was talking about this with a friend and we were having trouble finding an example predating TAKA Michinoku for a guy using all caps romaji for part of his ring name. in japanese the michinoku part is written in hiragana if anyone didn't know and was curious (TAKAみちのく).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 20, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think the alternate answer is usually "it looks cool"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Alaois posted:

usually it's a case of stylization carry over from the names being written in katakana instead of kanji but i don't know if that explains those three names specifically

certain dragon system guys (Eita, T-Hawk, Gamma) are the main exceptions to guys using standard caps in romaji that i can think of. also as far as guys everyone knows Cody went by exactly that in New Japan and did not use katakana like the vast majority of gaijin.

my all time favorite romaji typography example is "brother" YASSHI written exactly like that quotes included.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In KENTA's case specifically it was because his full name is Kenta Kobayashi and he wanted to differentiate it from Kenta Kobashi

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Eddie Kingston and Dasher Hatfield in Chikara.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Zombie Lemur posted:

Has anyone ever actually won a match by "reversing the pressure" of a figure four?

I'm imagining someone like Brandon Cutler being super proud that they got someone in it and then frantically tapping as soon as it gets reversed.
It's how Ricky Morton beat Joey Janela at Spring Break 4.

It was also one of the big falls for Janela in his iron match match with D*v*d St*rr in Beyond.

But that might be it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Danielson and McGuinness in ROH.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thauros posted:

my all time favorite romaji typography example is "brother" YASSHI written exactly like that quotes included.

Mine is Funky "Jacky" Kamei changing his name to Jacky "Funky" Kamei because the band who recorded his theme song messed up the word order. So instead of just moving the words around, they also changed which word was in quotes. :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

But you also have guys like Okada, who is presented as オカダ・カズチカ in katakana.

TAKA Michinoku took the ring last name from Michinoku Pro/Great Sasuke, as ‘Michinoku’ is another name/historical province name for Tōhoku, the north-east of Honshu in Japan, and that was the ring surname that Sasuke first used when breaking in. Taka comes from his shoot first name.

Essentially it’s a way to stand out. Even outside wrestling, baseball player Ichiro Suzuki has one of the blandest names you can imagine for a Japanese dude - Suzuki being one of the most common surnames, Ichiro being a very common boys name of a certain era. So once he ascended to stardom he started going by イチロー just in katakana.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thauros posted:

not a mononym but i was talking about this with a friend and we were having trouble finding an example predating TAKA Michinoku for a guy using all caps romaji for part of his ring name. in japanese the michinoku part is written in hiragana if anyone didn't know and was curious (TAKAみちのく).

I think I remember JADO and GEDO being billed like that in the mid 90s, and when I was in Japan someone told me the all caps romaji was to denote heels originally but by the early 00's it was just done to look cool.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the name of the song(s) that TJPW plays during their VTRs? They're rock songs with female vocals and remind me of Chatmonchy/The Peggies

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What happened to Macho Man in the early nineties? He goes from being amazing and entertaining to irritating and repetitive. Did he stop giving a poo poo because Vince stuck him in commentary? Because I can't remember a drat thing he did in WCW either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What happened to Macho Man in the early nineties? He goes from being amazing and entertaining to irritating and repetitive. Did he stop giving a poo poo because Vince stuck him in commentary? Because I can't remember a drat thing he did in WCW either.

Elizabeth left him for being a psychotic abuser and it warped his brain and made him even crazier, probably mixed with personal doubts as Vince began to de-push him and tell him he's too old. He gets a bit of his mojo back as he starts having a mid-life crisis in WCW but then his body gives out and he has an even wilder mid life crisis in 99 where he can't do anything in the ring but is an absolutely crazy personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Macho put over DDP and that feud ruled. Partly, as you said, because him being nuts gave the thing an edge.

e: nm, Savage won the blowoff. Eh. Feud still good.