Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

100% a cord is not hard at all to move lmao

my dad was an electric yard tool early adopter for everything except the mower, so I was the kid in 2001 dragging 200’ of orange extension cords across the lawn behind a leaf blower/string trimmer/hedge clipper/snowblower while other middle schoolers got to inhale gas fumes

cord getting caught on a rock and yanked....having to run back up the driveway to find the break and plug it back in

rolling everything back up at the end of the day on two big orange spools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

What kind of blades were you using, how sharp etc...

idk didnt belong to me. higher amp draw 18v power tools usually offer limited run time and/or inferior performance compared to their corded counterparts, i didnt think this was controversial. Grinders, circ saws, reciprocating saws in particular.

Rufio posted:

An all day demo while dragging a drat cord around, no thx. My M18 hack through it zall

if you wanna do demo work with a one-handed saw knock your self out, i'll continue to use the right tool for the job

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

100% a cord is not hard at all to move lmao

:hfive:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

my dad was an electric yard tool early adopter for everything except the mower, so I was the kid in 2001 dragging 200’ of orange extension cords across the lawn behind a leaf blower/string trimmer/hedge clipper/snowblower while other middle schoolers got to inhale gas fumes

cord getting caught on a rock and yanked....having to run back up the driveway to find the break and plug it back in

This except the 80s/90s and black and decker electric mowers. No matter how much my brothers and I complained to my dad what a bitch it was to mow while dragging 200 feet of extension cord, he insisted on electric.

Until we all moved out and the next summer he bought a gas mower, because apparently it is a bitch to mow dragging 200 feet of extension cord.

My brothers and I still occasionally give him poo poo for it, 25 years later.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I dunno, I still love my 13 amp corded Sawzall. Like an oxyacetylene torch, cradling it fills you with a warm glow that destruction is about to happen.

I bought a 12v Hackzall on sale last spring, and it's the absolute cat's rear end for hanging in a tree cutting branches one-handed. Much better control and precision than using a manual saw. Protip: carry a spare battery in your pocket. The complaints about Milwaukee's 12v battery clips in these saws are correct: if you bind the blade during a cut the vibrations pop the battery out and you get to watch it spiralling down to the orchard floor. A spare battery saves a climb.

I like the compact size of Milwaukee 12v tools and I wouldn't sell them short on power. My driver will put a 1/4" lag screw through 5" of pressure treated posts without issue. Last week I was boring some 3/8" holes in concrete and didn't have the right bit for the corded Hitachi SDS chuck percussion drill so I used the 12v driver to put the first couple of holes in. It was slow but it worked. I wouldn't make a habit of that because the nose was getting warm, but it did work.

Admittedly the corded SDS drill walks though concrete like hot butter, but that's its job.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

This except the 80s/90s and black and decker electric mowers. No matter how much my brothers and I complained to my dad what a bitch it was to mow while dragging 200 feet of extension cord, he insisted on electric.

Until we all moved out and the next summer he bought a gas mower, because apparently it is a bitch to mow dragging 200 feet of extension cord.

My brothers and I still occasionally give him poo poo for it, 25 years later.

Totally justifiable. Maybe one July 4th get-together, really dogpile him about it, then drag out a new battery mower for him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My parents bought a riding mower the first moment they didn't have any kids still around to shove the fleet of pushmowers around their 2 acres of grass.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ok Comboomer posted:

Thanks for the reality check

I guess for me the concern was more the idea that power tools are one of those “buy once in 20 years” deals.

So if the difference is going to be $30-100 or whatever then why buy a tool that would be potentially underpowered when I could spend tens of dollars more to get something more capable?

I also hate the idea of overbuying or purchasing something disposable only to have to replace it down the road.

I think you're making this way harder for yourself than you have to. It sounds like you hate the idea of slightly overbuying, and you also hate the idea of buying something less capable. So you want a tool that has just barely enough power to do what you want, and not spend a dollar more than absolutely necessary?

Those are totally incompatible desires.

If you have some space in your budget, buy better tools. If you want to get something more powerful and longer lasting, that's not Ryobi. Buy either Milwaukee, DeWalt, or Makita.

It's ok to buy good tools. I promise you, even if your economic situation changes in the future and you're super poor, you're not going to look back and regret buying sturdy, reliable tools. They means you don't have to pay again to replace them!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I just had flashbacks to mowing as a kid. Garbage-tier corded electric, and a McLane reel mower with a slipping belt and a Briggs that was only something approaching happy when run with the choke on a tick to richen it up.

Corded equipment is fine for when you need a lot of power/runtime, you aren't moving constantly, and you're within reasonable range of an outlet. I used a corded hedge trimmer and pole saw at my old place because if I was using one of those, I'd be standing in one spot for at least a few minutes before moving somewhere else, and my yard was small enough that a 50' cord let me reach anywhere on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think you're making this way harder for yourself than you have to. It sounds like you hate the idea of slightly overbuying, and you also hate the idea of buying something less capable. So you want a tool that has just barely enough power to do what you want, and not spend a dollar more than absolutely necessary?

Those are totally incompatible desires.

If you have some space in your budget, buy better tools. If you want to get something more powerful and longer lasting, that's not Ryobi. Buy either Milwaukee, DeWalt, or Makita.

It's ok to buy good tools. I promise you, even if your economic situation changes in the future and you're super poor, you're not going to look back and regret buying sturdy, reliable tools. They means you don't have to pay again to replace them!

When I said “overbuying” really I meant “buying twice something that I could buy once”

My bad for lovely word choice, but also sure—overspending on way too much of a tool would also be bad. Not something I’m super concerned about since I don’t see myself “accidentally” buying something for masonry or whatever.

Mainly I just don’t like the idea of buying something for $130-150 that breaks when its $160-250 sibling might not.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Narrator: It does, in fact, indicate just that.
That's really disappointing. Is there a story behind it? Bought out by some tool conglomerate?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I grabbed the cordless saw today at the behest of the thread but I like corded better still. It’s minor but battery levels and keeping them charged is just another thing to worry about. W a cord you just grip & rip all day :whatup:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Posting to say I too love my 15A corded Made in USA SUPER SAWZALL. That fucker weighs 15 lbs and it will break your elbow but it doesn't quit. We used to use them all the time when I worked in the shipyard and the sound of a sawzall getting stuck and vibrating the whole drat aluminum ship will forever be stuck in my ears.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^wowww super envious :D

Slugworth posted:

That's really disappointing. Is there a story behind it? Bought out by some tool conglomerate?

Their concrete stuff is still top of the line and priced accordingly, maybe they’re trying to make their cordless tool lineup more attainable for individuals, not just commercial operations. I know they have an all new lineup out

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

No idea. I was just trolling you, Chief.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Mambold posted:

No idea. I was just trolling you, Chief.
I've been trolled by you *and* by Hilti. What a day.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like cordless, but for some applications it's just not practical to use battery powered stuff. I can use the Ryobi angle grinder for like 5-10 minutes before it runs out of juice, which sucks when I got a ton to grind (car floor). The old Bosch grinder I found laying around (my dads) does a better job and can just keep on going.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

I like cordless, but for some applications it's just not practical to use battery powered stuff. I can use the Ryobi angle grinder for like 5-10 minutes before it runs out of juice, which sucks when I got a ton to grind (car floor). The old Bosch grinder I found laying around (my dads) does a better job and can just keep on going.

Grinders are definitely worth going corded. Cordless is fine for quick/remote stuff, but corded is way way better for everything else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Grinders are definitely worth going corded. Cordless is fine for quick/remote stuff, but corded is way way better for everything else.

I finally joined this century and got a cordless grinder a few months ago and it rules, but it's absolutely not a replacement for my corded ones. Grinders are just massive power hogs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have one of each and when the project is both small and far from a power outlet, it's really nice having the cordless option.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cordless grinder is essentially a cutoff saw, and I believe some are in fact marketed that way

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Yeah a cordless grinder is for lighter, short duty. If you have big jobs to do it's not the right tool.

But for short jobs they really come in handy. Like if you're picking up scrap steel and you need to cut it down so you can transport it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or cutting locks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Or catalytic converters.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The one I scratch my head about is the battery powered miter saw. I'm not planning on moving that thing all over the place when chopping 2x4s to size. It sits in one place on the bench. I guess if I were building a log cabin in remote Alaska or something a battery powered miter might be useful. Plus a truck load of batteries. At that point surely a generator is the answer.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Charging batteries requires a significantly smaller genny tho.

(e: playing devil's advocate, I have no idea)

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

spf3million posted:

The one I scratch my head about is the battery powered miter saw. I'm not planning on moving that thing all over the place when chopping 2x4s to size. It sits in one place on the bench. I guess if I were building a log cabin in remote Alaska or something a battery powered miter might be useful. Plus a truck load of batteries. At that point surely a generator is the answer.

Trim, flooring, parts of the house with the power off for the remodel.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Less tripping hazards = less risk of workplace injury.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got the Milwaukee battery powered miter saw and it's on a folding rolling stand. I went battery powered because my houses electrical was horrible and I only had one outlet in the garage that was shared with a bunch of the house. So high demand power tools were not great unless I wanted to swap out blown fuses.

However it is pretty loving great to just roll it wherever you need to work without any cords. I even have a little battery powered shop vac to hook up to it so that dust isn't a big issue. My only regret is I got the 7-1/4" model and I should have paid more for the 10"

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 22, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

I cannot agree strongly enough. Don't go to work on acid kids.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Unless you're Dock Ellis.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Posting to say I too love my 15A corded Made in USA SUPER SAWZALL. That fucker weighs 15 lbs and it will break your elbow but it doesn't quit. We used to use them all the time when I worked in the shipyard and the sound of a sawzall getting stuck and vibrating the whole drat aluminum ship will forever be stuck in my ears.

I think I have the same one and it does not gently caress around, if the blade gets pinched and stops you start moving.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-0i4JOsY4

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, I got a Ryobi P747 tire/pool toy inflator. The + button didn't work at all. Called them up and within 5 minutes they had an order for a replacement shipped to me. Just needed the model # and serial #. Good customer service!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

ive heard--but have been unable to confirm--that the UK requires all cables & hoses to be run through conduit at the job site, to reduce tripping hazards. This has pushed tool manufacturers to offer more cordless everything, since the conduit is such a hassle. Dunno if true but sounds good

SpeedFreek posted:

I think I have the same one and it does not gently caress around, if the blade gets pinched and stops you start moving.

Using one on a ladder is some good poo poo :D

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gonna throw another Ridgid shop vac rec into the thread, this time it helped me drain the ~100 gallon incredibly poorly maintained pond in my backyard once I found out the sump pump my PO "graciously" left me was dead.

Got my cardio in hauling buckets to my cul-de-sac storm drain, but soon that janky mosquito fuckfest of a pond will be a fever dream! :bubblewoop:

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

spf3million posted:

Imagine working a jobsite as something like a trim carpenter with 5 other contractors there. Sparkie's turning outlets off, sharing outlets and crossing extension cords, dealing with the blame when a breaker is tripped, etc, etc.

Meanwhile you can trim out an entire house on one charge with the type of cuts you do for common trimwork.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what does a power carver/reciprocating carver do better than a rotary tool? Like I get that the plane of motion is totally different, but I struggle to see the vast difference in end product.

Seems like a rotary tool with the right assortment of bits would be way better at clearing through larger amounts of material quickly and also at precision carving, so what’s the value-add here?

I recently saw a bonsai demo where the person used a power carver to shape some deadwood, but the whole time I’m like “everything they’re doing there most ppl would just use a Dremel for and it would be the same, if not easier” and now I’m trying to wrap my head around the use case for such a device.

It doesn’t help that RYOBI is launching a power carver alongside the rotary tool in their USB Lithium line...and so I’m curious since I’m already gonna be picking up the rotary, and probably also the fancy pizza cutter thing.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You may not be considering how much a rotary tool can run if you make a mistake but the rest is good. I think you could do more with rotary vs reciprocating if you have the correct bits. Also the finish can be rough depending on the bit used and how soft your touch is, but if you got the juice you can fix that later with some effort depending what you're going for

I'm going to end up with every kutzall attachment I really love their poo poo. Make sure to get the right size if youre using a dremel not a die grinder. Get a little nylon and wire brush to clean out the gunk, or a razor. People also burn it out. Check out the flame burr, it really versatile for flowy organic shapes. Sphere burr is ridiculous for under cutting round shapes. I only run paddle switch so when poo poo goes south I let go and its generally fine. If you find more good info lemme know it's hard to find this stuff I had to troll through youtube for so long to get the algo showing me this kind of work

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Using one on a ladder is some good poo poo :D

This is how I fell off a ladder for the first time, it happened so fuckin fast lmao whoops I'm falling??

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 23, 2022

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Johnny Truant posted:

Gonna throw another Ridgid shop vac rec into the thread, this time it helped me drain the ~100 gallon incredibly poorly maintained pond in my backyard once I found out the sump pump my PO "graciously" left me was dead.

Got my cardio in hauling buckets to my cul-de-sac storm drain, but soon that janky mosquito fuckfest of a pond will be a fever dream! :bubblewoop:

FYI you can get a pump attachment that will attach to the drain at the bottom, so you can suck up water with the vacuum, then pump it somewhere else through a garden hose.

Also, gotta say there's (at least) one exception to the "buy from a good brand and you'll be fine" rule. Don't buy a Ryobi stick vacuum. I'm kinda mad I didn't do more research like I usually do, I just bought it assuming it'd be fine. I paid $169 for the thing, without battery, and the mesh filter clogs up after about 5 minutes of use. Meanwhile, a couple weeks ago I bought, on a whim a cheap cordless cyclonic stick vac from Aldi for like $90, and it has way more suction and doesn't immediately clog. If Aldi can get a decent cyclonic stick vac, Ryobi should be able to find someone that will manufacture a cyclonic vacuum for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, gotta say there's (at least) one exception to the "buy from a good brand and you'll be fine" rule. Don't buy a Ryobi stick vacuum. I'm kinda mad I didn't do more research like I usually do, I just bought it assuming it'd be fine. I paid $169 for the thing, without battery, and the mesh filter clogs up after about 5 minutes of use. Meanwhile, a couple weeks ago I bought, on a whim a cheap cordless cyclonic stick vac from Aldi for like $90, and it has way more suction and doesn't immediately clog. If Aldi can get a decent cyclonic stick vac, Ryobi should be able to find someone that will manufacture a cyclonic vacuum for them.

Ryobi is releasing a revised stick vac in the near future too so hopefully they'll fix the problems with the old one