Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CPU Abuser posted:

I've been using bar soap (Lever 2000) as a shaving lubricant/protectant for the last 30 years. It beats every purpose made shaving cream I've ever tried like a rented mule.

With a name like that, I expected it would use :pcgaming: space age :pcgaming: technology (read: synthetic detergents, first marketed in the fifties), but no, it’s just a bar of soap.

It’s mostly (sodium salts of) tallow, with some palm kernel oil for cleansing power and for bubbles.

There’s some glycerine present naturally from the reaction between the oils and lye, but it’s a nice touch to add more. Many commercial soaps do not. The glycerin as well as the PEG are humectants that help make the soap slippery.

The most interesting ingredient is the maize starch. It places above water in the ingredient list, and given that the water required to make that bar is at least ten percent, that’s a lot of starch. It’s not unheard of for hobbyists soapmakers to add starch, but it’s pretty uncommon, especially in high amounts. I don’t know that properties it would add. I’ll have to try it sometime.

Sodium chloride hardens the bar. Titanium dioxide makes it a brilliant white. Fragrance and water need no explanation. The rest are preservatives, though it’s unusual to see so many used together.

All together, I wouldn’t recommend the recipe for a shaving soap, but I can see how it does better than most bar soaps. As mentioned, the added glycerine and PEG help. Tallow is the traditional shaving soap base with good reason, usually with a little coconut oil, but palm kernel oil is almost interchangeable.

Where it differs from shaving soaps is that it’s purely sodium hydroxide based. Shaving soaps almost always use potassium hydroxide. Potassium salts make a soft soap that is far more soluble in water—good for shaving soap, bad for bar soap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Who here still has yet to get any variety of COVID two full years after the pandemic began in force and what brand of respirator are you using atm?

Still cycling between my 3M 6800 and Secure Click atm

3M 6900, largest risk factor is the rare occasions where pressure is building on the backside of the building (reversing the draft to go from the staircase and into my apartment) and when smoking outside on the balcony standing downwind from someone else. No kids fortunately, as it seems the infection rate there is ~100%, while adults are a mere 50-60% over the last 3 months (:denmark:).

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tzen posted:

let it be mild friend

Thanks. I'm pretty mad about it. My brother was pretty wiped out with fever Monday, but still came over last week after testing negative. Good work there. Let me introduce you to the concept of a false negative.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 21, 2022

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

Thanks. I'm pretty mad about it. My brother was pretty wiped out with fever Monday, but still came over last week after testing negative. Good work there. Let me introduce you to the concept of a false negative.

Sorry, this situation sucks :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Platystemon posted:

With a name like that, I expected it would use :pcgaming: space age :pcgaming: technology (read: synthetic detergents, first marketed in the fifties), but no, it’s just a bar of soap.

It’s mostly (sodium salts of) tallow, with some palm kernel oil for cleansing power and for bubbles.

There’s some glycerine present naturally from the reaction between the oils and lye, but it’s a nice touch to add more. Many commercial soaps do not. The glycerin as well as the PEG are humectants that help make the soap slippery.

The most interesting ingredient is the maize starch. It places above water in the ingredient list, and given that the water required to make that bar is at least ten percent, that’s a lot of starch. It’s not unheard of for hobbyists soapmakers to add starch, but it’s pretty uncommon, especially in high amounts. I don’t know that properties it would add. I’ll have to try it sometime.

Sodium chloride hardens the bar. Titanium dioxide makes it a brilliant white. Fragrance and water need no explanation. The rest are preservatives, though it’s unusual to see so many used together.

All together, I wouldn’t recommend the recipe for a shaving soap, but I can see how it does better than most bar soaps. As mentioned, the added glycerine and PEG help. Tallow is the traditional shaving soap base with good reason, usually with a little coconut oil, but palm kernel oil is almost interchangeable.

Where it differs from shaving soaps is that it’s purely sodium hydroxide based. Shaving soaps almost always use potassium hydroxide. Potassium salts make a soft soap that is far more soluble in water—good for shaving soap, bad for bar soap.

My grandfather used to keep a bar of this and a bar of lava soap at the sink when I was little. The lava soap was self-explanatory but I think he preferred the lever for cleaning some other things off his hand (he also built control line model aircraft so it could have something to do with that too who knows).

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I do not know how to make apartment living work with young children. The masks suck so much. Now they've started resisting the Flomasks and it's like I've found you the one kids' mask that has a legitimate seal, this is the caviar of kids' masks but nope they want the paper ones that slide down and have obvious gaps on the sides.

This didn't really matter when everyone in the building was wearing a mask in the shared hallways and elevators. Of course that's cratered recently with the masks off movement, thanks Biden/Hochul/Adams.

Pingui posted:

largest risk factor is the rare occasions where pressure is building on the backside of the building (reversing the draft to go from the staircase and into my apartment)

I've noticed similar effects and have been idly thinking about constructing some kind of airlock to the front door and/or ensuring the apt is at positive pressure wrt the hall using a fan coupled to the window. Very aware this is obsessing over relatively minor risks vs working in-person etc, but it's something I can control at least.

genericnick posted:

That sucks. The rapid tests really are garbage. Even worse some people heard the rapid tests are unreliable and think they might just have a false positive while symptomatic...

Hope you get through it without problem.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Who here still has yet to get any variety of COVID two full years after the pandemic began in force and what brand of respirator are you using atm?

I wear an envo to the gym but otherwise I just do the KF94 earloops lol.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

That sucks. The rapid tests really are garbage. Even worse some people heard the rapid tests are unreliable and think they might just have a false positive while symptomatic...

Hope you get through it without problem.

It was a PCR for what it's worth, but it's also the second case in my wider family of people (presumably) popping positive on PCR only after they had symptoms for some time.

Business Trombone
Jul 29, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Teaching younger kids in person for 90% of the last 2 years, we had a mask mandate but it ends today :rip:
I've been getting weekly PCR tests for most of that time, kids started getting weekly PCR tests at school in August 2021. I've lost count of how many confirmed exposures I've had but uh a whole bunch. 200+ easily after Omicron.
I wore lovely masks March-June 2020, Powecom KF94s from June 2020-October 2021 and Auras since then. Built a Corsi cube for my classroom in November. Obviously also not going out and doing dumb poo poo like eating inside.

NPIs work as long as you don't slip up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i mean, even if you get a negative covid test, if you had a fever you were infected with something and that something is very, very likely to be contagious, so probably best not to go breathe on people

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Business Trombone posted:

(..)

Or - more likely - someone slips up for you. Only trust your respirator.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/20/world/covid-19-mandates-cases-vaccine#hong-kong-flight-bans posted:

Hong Kong will lift its bans on flights and cut quarantine times.

Hong Kong announced on Monday that it would lift its ban on flights from nine countries on April 1, just one of the restrictions it plans to relax as experts and government officials say the worst of an Omicron-driven wave might have passed.

Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, said on Monday that vaccinated residents would only have to quarantine for seven days, down from 14, upon arrival from overseas. The isolation for travelers had been one of the strictest in the world and had discouraged many from returning to the Chinese territory of 7.4 million people.

She also suspended plans to have every person in the city undergo P.C.R. testing and moved up a deadline to receive booster shots to May 31. The extra dose will be necessary to enter public places, including supermarkets and shopping malls.

For most of the pandemic, Hong Kong has sealed itself off from the rest of the world and required travelers to quarantine for as long as three weeks in a hotel, mirroring policies in mainland China.
(..)
:shuckyes:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

President Xi, do the needful.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Dismantling the alarm probably won't backfire"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/598968-some-states-pull-back-on-daily-covid-reporting posted:

Some states pull back on daily COVID reporting

As COVID-19 cases fall across the U.S., some states are scaling back their reporting strategies after dropping pandemic-related requirements such as masking.

South Dakota ended daily COVID-19 reporting on Friday and will pivot to weekly updates. With a seven-day average of 35 daily cases, the state is experiencing some of the country's lowest per-capita spread, The Associated Press reported.

Other states that have made the shift to weekly reports include Arizona, Hawaii, Kentucky, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Carolina, as well as Washington, D.C., according to The New York Times.

Experts expect a continued slowdown of reporting cycles as COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths begin to decline, the newspaper added.

“We’ve moved to a place where we don’t need to know the absolute numbers,” Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer for the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, told the Times.

“We can still monitor trends for people who are getting tests in public settings. We still have a good sense of where the absolute numbers are going,” he added.

Meanwhile, other experts fear that less reporting may present problems in the event of a possible future uptick in infections.

But on Sunday, Chief White House medical adviser Anthony Fauci said that he did not think the U.S. would see another surge in infections with the latest variant, though he said an uptick was likely.

"Hopefully, we won't see a surge. I don't think we will. The easiest way to prevent that is to continue to get people vaccinated. And for those who have been vaccinated, to continue to get them boosted, so that’s really where we stand right now," Fauci said.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pingui posted:

Anthony Fauci posted:

"Hopefully, we won't see a surge."

Can't see if you don't look.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

genericnick posted:

lmao I got Covid

owned.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

McCracAttack posted:

Can't see if you don't look.

Gouging out my eyes to own the poo poo out of the people screaming behind me to pull up the plane.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Isnt maize starch just corn starch? Iirc that's for fragrance help. I don't add fragrance to my personal care products but I've seen it discussed before?

I haven't looked at the label for a bar of lever 2000 in years, oh my goodness it looks like it hasnt changed at all. It's the same from when my mom brought it home and it caused one of the worst eczema flare ups I had in my teens. I thought it was the fragrance alone.

It wasn't until last year that I started seeing some research come out that titanium dioxide can cause flare ups after years and years of being told I'm nuts for thinking that something so harmless and in everything could cause an allergic reaction. Golly gee maybe that's why I can't wear most makeup products either.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Business Trombone posted:

Teaching younger kids in person for 90% of the last 2 years, we had a mask mandate but it ends today :rip:
I've been getting weekly PCR tests for most of that time, kids started getting weekly PCR tests at school in August 2021. I've lost count of how many confirmed exposures I've had but uh a whole bunch. 200+ easily after Omicron.
I wore lovely masks March-June 2020, Powecom KF94s from June 2020-October 2021 and Auras since then. Built a Corsi cube for my classroom in November. Obviously also not going out and doing dumb poo poo like eating inside.

Whoa, the school was doing pcr testing? Is this a public school?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the governments of the world have executed the largest eugenics program in human history and gotten away with it

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

Did they block you or something?

They refuse to admit being wrong and keep arguing about it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Koirhor posted:

the governments of the world have executed the largest eugenics program in human history and gotten away with it

Maybe next time y'all will vote.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I never got any covid and I not gonna either. I wear a Chinese knockoff half mask and I never leave the house except for groceries for the last two years

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CPU Abuser posted:

Some of the multi-blade cartridge razors that have emerged over the last two decades really do have insane service lives.

I use a 5-blade Schick cartridge razor. The carts are good at least a month, longer if I push them.

It's just barely possible to cut yourself with one of these, but you really have to put some work into that mistake in order to make it happen.

I'm still using the first "handle" section that I bought back in 2014. Of course, I've changed cartridges at least 80-100 times since then.

Note that the "handle" doesn't look like the one just below. The design has been tweaked several times in the last 8 years. Most of the tweaks, oddly enough, have actually been improvements.

But latest-production cartridges still fit it.

buy a generic safety razor dear god those disposable razors are the greatest rip off in all of capitalism

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No covid for me yet. Have a secure click and some absurd lg thing but I am too stupid to actually use them.

Have been working in a downtown high rise and commuting by train most of the time, with some full time WFH during the biggest spikes. But that working from home is in a 250 unit apartment.

Of course, as Snowglobe said, covid wasn't really widespread here until December 2021. I just avoid indoors as much as possible, which is easier in Australia.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 21, 2022

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Secureclick all the time. Went over to a St Patrick's Day party on Saturday with more than a dozen people in a very small house, kept the respirator on inside, went out in the back yard to eat. No-one joined me there, which was fine. I stand out, but I'd rather see people I care about while standing out than not see them at all. There's a very funny picture of me holding one of my infant relatives while wearing the respirator.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

not_superiority posted:

Isnt maize starch just corn starch? Iirc that's for fragrance help. I don't add fragrance to my personal care products but I've seen it discussed before?

I haven't looked at the label for a bar of lever 2000 in years, oh my goodness it looks like it hasnt changed at all. It's the same from when my mom brought it home and it caused one of the worst eczema flare ups I had in my teens. I thought it was the fragrance alone.

It wasn't until last year that I started seeing some research come out that titanium dioxide can cause flare ups after years and years of being told I'm nuts for thinking that something so harmless and in everything could cause an allergic reaction. Golly gee maybe that's why I can't wear most makeup products either.

Something to keep in mind with skincare products (in particular), that is often entirely overlooked: It doesn't have to be allergenic to prompt a skin reaction. Allergic reactions are when your immune system goes on the attack on a foreign substance, but irritants can easily cause reactions outside the immune system.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
loving hate working in person. Got like no sleep last night and any time that happens I feel like my dampened immune system is gonna get me killed. Lol, lmao.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I haven't caught it yet and neither has anyone in my household. My kids are both in daycare or school and my wife is a teacher. I work from home but I'm getting sent back to the Covid mines soon.

We've just been wearing disposable KN95s the whole time, basically. The biggest thing for mask wearing, IMO, is just doing it consistently and fitting it properly.

Both of my parents have had it multiple times now lol

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Rutibex posted:

buy a generic safety razor dear god those disposable razors are the greatest rip off in all of capitalism

I bought 100 packages of razor blades from Amazon for $25 or something back in 2014 and I'm just getting to the end of it now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

I did not expect us to be on Stage 1 of the four stage plan already, figured we’d get a few months lull like last year.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

32 out of 80 faculty/staff absent today.

If only there were some context in which we could understand this.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mdemone posted:

32 out of 80 faculty/staff absent today.

If only there were some context in which we could understand this.

they are surely all on the dole and dont really want to work

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

2x this, also hahaha the "lotion strips" that used to be on the pink ~lady~ razors caused an eczema flare up on my legs every time i used them

gently caress the personal care product industry

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

Something to keep in mind with skincare products (in particular), that is often entirely overlooked: It doesn't have to be allergenic to prompt a skin reaction. Allergic reactions are when your immune system goes on the attack on a foreign substance, but irritants can easily cause reactions outside the immune system.

contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction, and post those initial bouts of contact dermatitis, after it causes sufficient damage to my skin, I'd develop atopic dermatitis/eczema flare up. i also struggle with dyshidrotic dermatitis and after a stretch of dealing with all of those at the same time my top layers of skin are just a disgusting infected mess

your statement's still true though

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

my wife and I haven't, to our knowledge. For a long time we wore cloth masks but we didn't really go out in public other than one trip during hot vax summer. now we only wear N95s if we go out, but we still don't really go out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tim Kaine (and covid) in the membrane

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1505814009722798081

Joementum fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 21, 2022

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

My boyfriend was called back to the office in May 2020, is forced to attend client dinners/events and he wears reusable vogmasks and Cambridge masks. He has yet to get covid.

His roommate works retail, only wore cloth masks when mandated, and regularly eats out and goes to bars and travels. He got delta but somehow my boyfriend didn't. While he waited for his test result and two weeks after, everyone in the household masked up except when sleeping and eating in their own rooms. They didn't open windows or use any kind of special filtration besides whatever is in their apartment's ac.

I am a hybrid worker and I wear an envomask at work because I find the silicone padding to be more comfortable for eight straight hours of wear. Recently it seems to fog my glasses less often than vogmasks or auras but that could just be my wearing it more often.

I don't wear a p100 at work because I am one of five people that masks here so I'm already the odd one out. the envomask also seems to muffle my voice less than the ru8500.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

not_superiority posted:

contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction, and post those initial bouts of contact dermatitis, after it causes sufficient damage to my skin, I'd develop atopic dermatitis/eczema flare up. i also struggle with dyshidrotic dermatitis and after a stretch of dealing with all of those at the same time my top layers of skin are just a disgusting infected mess

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. I just meant it as a comment on the response you encountered :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

not_superiority posted:

i've been using cheap "yardley" brand bar soaps from the grocery store the past few years and recently started getting some dry and flaky skin. bought a small bar of "pine tar" soap last week and it has improved a lot in just a couple of days, might be worth trying.