Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Der Kyhe posted:

Unfortunate fact however is, that the 80's/early 90's Soviet gear is still adequate enough against anyone not-USA if they are used in sufficient numbers. Those craptastic T72's, BMPs and such still take AT-weapon such as Javelin each to kill, and they are in limited supply unless you are backed by Nato.

This also means that if Russia mobilizes and is able to get enough of that late Soviet gear running, they will be a serious threat to everyone in their neighborhood.

Seeming like a bigger and bigger "If" at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Russian troops firing at protesting civilians in Kherson.
:nms:
https://twitter.com/shcherbininainn/status/1505871639074029570
https://twitter.com/shcherbininainn/status/1505871334143889414

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Alchenar posted:

Yeah 10 million refugees and burning down the second largest country in Europe in a brual attritional war is not a paper tiger.

And lets not forget that Ukraine has spent the last 8 years preparing for this day to come. Nobody else in Europe is remotely as prepared to fight a large scale conventional war.

Fortunately neither was Russia.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

Also it's been posted a number of times in this thread before but we are having the conversation again so bears repeating: in the first week of the war Russia did not fight according to doctrine and tripped up over its own feet assuming it could seize Ukraine by storm and not have to seriously fight. The second week of the war consisted of trying to fix the mess from the first week, and the third week has consisted of reorentation and reorganisation (in broad strokes, recognising that different things are happening in different theatres).

As Michael Kofman has said over and over, Russia would not attempt to fight NATO the way that it has attempted to fight Ukraine, there are some lessons to learn about just how bad their Command and Control and logistics organisation is, as well as how they appear to be missing some key enablers to get them to actually use their artillery and rocketry/air force effectively, but it would be a mistake to assume that the Russian armed forces aren't a real threat.

The Russian armed forces are a real threat. They have nuclear weapons.

Otherwise, they would be literally no threat at all to NATO—relatively speaking. If it weren’t for nuclear weapons the Russians do not even have the capacity to make NATO break a sweat militarily.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Go tell the Estonians and Latvians and Lithuanians that they have nothing to worry about because Russia can only sustain an advance 140km from the border.

e: a short thread

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1505811577152356354

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 21, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

loving hell. What a change from yesterday. Are these the fresh troops "rotated in" or am I thinking of a different city with protests.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman
https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1505843869707116547

(excerpts from thread below:)

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1505845102811533313

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1505846407617466371

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1505847103666495490

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

CSM posted:

Being subject to unprecedented sanctions and a proxy war through Ukraine, isn't "getting away with it".

This is not a proxy war. Russia invaded Ukraine. This not a civil war, nor is this a remotely symmetrical conflict. There are no valid reasons for the invasion at all. Large-scale war crimes are being committed openly. Russia absolutely is "getting away with it". The only thing preventing a coalition intervening and dragging the regime before the Hague is the nuclear deterrent.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It takes serious divorce from reality to consider North Stream pipes as something that Poland should be somehow for, when they were designed with a specific idea to bypass Poland.
Also this sounds like something written directly to Konfederacja dudes, the lovely group of right wing market libertarians that loves to hate Ukrainians. Comedy option - Medvedev proposes handling over Tupolev wreckage 12 years after the accident in exchange for something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

medvedev is such a bitch

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Unfortunate fact however is, that the 80's/early 90's Soviet gear is still adequate enough against anyone not-USA if they are used in sufficient numbers. Those craptastic T72's, BMPs and such still take AT-weapon such as Javelin each to kill, and they are in limited supply unless you are backed by Nato.

This also means that if Russia mobilizes and is able to get enough of that late Soviet gear running, they will be a serious threat to everyone in their neighborhood.
It'll be interesting in the next few years to see what happens with all these Javelins, NLAWs etc flooding into Ukraine. Despite everything going on, it's a poor country with endemic corruption issues - a bunch of these will be on the black market soon, one way or another.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Nenonen posted:

It's fitting, as groznyi means terrible.

дуже схожий на ваш пост

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

PederP posted:

This is not a proxy war. Russia invaded Ukraine. This not a civil war, nor is this a remotely symmetrical conflict. There are no valid reasons for the invasion at all. Large-scale war crimes are being committed openly. Russia absolutely is "getting away with it". The only thing preventing a coalition intervening and dragging the regime before the Hague is the nuclear deterrent.

He argued that NATO is currently proxy warring in ukraine, and correctly so. Russia is fighting a conventional war against Ukraine, NATO is proxyfighting russia through Ukraine.

A full-on symmetric proxy war for both sides would be ”belarus” attacking Ukraine and each block supporting their candidate.

And Yes, NATO should just stop diddling around the sidelines and intervene directly.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

what if you give some polish fighter pilots ukrainian passports, donate their planes to the ukrainian air force so they are not technically nato pilots anymore, and then give them their original nationalities back after the war is over?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kherson is gonna go to hell real quick if the UA is able to get closer and closer eventually. hell. your already seeing Ukrainians kill collaborators and probably isolated Russians troops.

ummel posted:

loving hell. What a change from yesterday. Are these the fresh troops "rotated in" or am I thinking of a different city with protests.

UA is apperently sorta near kherson still and the folks in the city have been protesting non stop and occasionally shooting collaborator leaders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"If we insult them enough, they won't support Ukraine" :thunk:

This won't backfire at all!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

what if you give some polish fighter pilots ukrainian passports, donate their planes to the ukrainian air force so they are not technically nato pilots anymore, and then give them their original nationalities back after the war is over?

I mean if you are just going to go full Korea then a Polish army formation should just be declared a "volunteer army" and sent into Ukraine.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

One weird trick. Russian MoD hates it!!!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ummel posted:

One weird trick. Russian MoD hates it!!!

Russian MoD has been known to have people go on vacation with their tanks.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Valtonen posted:

He argued that NATO is currently proxy warring in ukraine, and correctly so. Russia is fighting a conventional war against Ukraine, NATO is proxyfighting russia through Ukraine.

A full-on symmetric proxy war for both sides would be ”belarus” attacking Ukraine and each block supporting their candidate.

And Yes, NATO should just stop diddling around the sidelines and intervene directly.

I disagree on both counts:

Ukraine is receiving aid from some individual member states not from NATO itself. Ukraine would continue defending itself regardless of NATO stance. NATO also did not instigate this war in any way. The US is certainly exerting political influence and support on the situation - but that is not equivalent to NATO - and the US have done the opposite of engaging in proxy warfare, by clearly stating prior to the invasion that they would not intervene. They also publicly revealed the invasion plans and tried to dissuade the invasion. Also there are no blocks. There is a Russian aggressor and Ukrainian sovereign state. Europe is not a vassal of the US, and NATO is not a bloc - it is a defensive alliance. NATO includes Hungary, which is friendly towards Russia, and Turkey, which is an independent regional power on par with Russia.

NATO should not intervene. It is a defensive alliance and thus there is no mandate for such interventions. I strongly believe the nations of Europe should intervene directly, but as a coalition independent of NATO and without US participation. Having the US involved would be a threat to global security, would undermine the stability of post-war Eastern Europe and would likely be unacceptable to China.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I feel like all these thinktanks and scaremongers only exaggerated Russian military prowess so to justify their own increased spending. It worked before. The MiG-25 scared the entire west into spending billions more, when they finally got one from a defector they found it was dogshit.

I think that's part of it but I'm not sure all of it is so cynical. The risks of underestimating enemy capabilities are extremely high, and the risks of overestimating capabilities are low. Take the MiG-25 - its capabilities were wildly overestimated, which resulted in the F-15 being an absolute world-beater of an air superiority fighter. If analysts underestimate capabilities, the consequences are far higher. During the Anglo-German naval arms race leading up to WWI, the Germans underestimated the capabilities of the new Invincible class, and so laid down an incremental design in response that was obsolete as soon as it was launched.

Hell, in this war, the consequences of the FSB underestimating Ukrainian capabilities and morale means that some of those guys are in jail or shot. Better to overestimate your enemy to a reasonable extent, and pop champagne when you're proven wrong, than underestimate them and end up with personal consequences.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i still think that a direct intervention is far too dangerous

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Shibawanko posted:

I'm still one hundred billion percent against it but as this war drags out so lividly I am more prepared for the possibility. A lot of people really don't want to sit on the sidelines and russia looking weak may encourage the idea that they won't or can't bluff on nuclear deterrence if, say, Poland enters the war to defend Ukrainian territory

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah, honestly I thought this was completely self-evident. It certainly is to the likes of Biden, Stoltenberg, and Scholz who have access to the relevant conflict modeling, war games and intelligence.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

PederP posted:

A proxy war as in: outside forces are arming Ukraine and providing it with intelligence to fight the Russians.

Russia is "getting away with it" a lot less than when previous superpowers invaded and bombed countries to hell. As in: USA-Iraq for example. Sadly there's little that can definitively stop a nuclear power.

At least what's happening now will hopefully set a future precedent, including against NATO countries.

CSM fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 21, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, honestly I thought this was completely self-evident. It certainly is to the likes of Biden, Stoltenberg, and Scholz who have access to the relevant conflict modeling, war games and intelligence.

Judging by what is going on this is a fluid process and a number of those models and intelligence is getting a thorough re-evaluation based on the Russian performance so far.

You can go to war with a bold step, Angry face and middle finger extended towards kremlin, or tippytoe with increasing amounts of assistance and sanctions until at some point you realized you are pouring dogshit into Putins shoes and giggling. Currently we are choosing this route.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Randarkman posted:

I mean if you are just going to go full Korea then a Polish army formation should just be declared a "volunteer army" and sent into Ukraine.

Just send them in unmarked and pretend to be confused about where they came from, the perfectly symmetrical response.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think that's part of it but I'm not sure all of it is so cynical. The risks of underestimating enemy capabilities are extremely high, and the risks of overestimating capabilities are low. Take the MiG-25 - its capabilities were wildly overestimated, which resulted in the F-15 being an absolute world-beater of an air superiority fighter. If analysts underestimate capabilities, the consequences are far higher. During the Anglo-German naval arms race leading up to WWI, the Germans underestimated the capabilities of the new Invincible class, and so laid down an incremental design in response that was obsolete as soon as it was launched.

Hell, in this war, the consequences of the FSB underestimating Ukrainian capabilities and morale means that some of those guys are in jail or shot. Better to overestimate your enemy to a reasonable extent, and pop champagne when you're proven wrong, than underestimate them and end up with personal consequences.

Furthermore, the analysts are looking at the numbers and the math, and not, almost definitionally, at intangibles like morale or politics or economics.

I think this is one of the big splits between the professional and amateur analysts of this conflict.

Then professionals are looking at the situation on the ground and going "if these trends continue, then . . ."

The amateurs are looking at the same trend lines and going "this poo poo can't continue like this, there's gonna have to be a collapse . . . here, or here, or here . . ."

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Very important news on Kyiv front. Ukraine appears to be near re-opening the E40 highway, which is a crucial route between Lviv and Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1505876628823588867

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I interrupt interventionist Clancywank to confirm that Belarus didn’t invade this morning. Again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jeza posted:

One of the most surprising things about this whole war for me was how at the start, lots of people could not shut up about how advanced and intimidating the Russian military was, and how shocked they were to find out that it was not the case.

I admit that I don't actively consume any content that muses on the general status of national militaries in peacetime, but every incidental piece of info I've ever seen that pertains to the modern Russian military over the last decade has made it look like a threadbare clown fiesta.

Is this just a case of people slurping up years of thinkpieces from military strategy thinktanks or whatever that end up scaremongering about how incredibly dangerous every opposing geopolitical entity is or what? It feels like Cold War 2.0 where American intelligence consistently overestimated Soviet military capabilities to a farcical extent. What led so many people to have this consensus on Russian military power?

In fairness if anyone ever submitted an intelligence report that said the enemy would be as incompetent as Russia has been they'd be fired and sent for a psych eval. It's fundamentally bad strategy to assume your enemy is completely inept.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

CSM posted:

A proxy war as in: outside forces are arming Ukraine and providing it with intelligence to fight the Russians.

A proxy war requires more than this - a proxy also needs to act on behalf of another power. Their impetus to engage in war should be fully or mostly contingent on outside influence. When considering the defender, this is even more pertinent. An invader may be a proxy if armed and encouraged. This is obviously not the case for the defender in an unlawful war.

Also NATO is not arming Ukraine nor providing intelligence. (Some) individual member nations are. The only part NATO is playing is to repeatedly state that they will not intervene to defend Ukraine against this aggression.

This war is a war of conquest by Russia against Ukraine. There are no other parties to this war. Except Belarus which is a limited co-belligerent to Russia. Naming this a proxy war serves merely to deflect from the aggression, violation of international law and war crimes committed by Russia. It is a misguided notion at best - and propagandistic misdirection for the benefit of a fascist expansionist regime at worst.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Szmitten posted:

I interrupt interventionist Clancywank to confirm that Belarus didn’t invade this morning. Again.

I'm starting to suspect Batka has his army doing donuts in the Pripyat to keep them busy and make it look like he's contributing to the Russian war effort.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

On behalf of the 40 milion of us here in Poland - gently caress him hard.

We equate the Soviet occupation to Nazi occupation because it is equal and maybe even worse in some places. Yes, our nations were close but all those ties were severed clean by the USSR which decided to puppeteer/conquer all of it's neighbours, praying on the fact that we were loving devastated by WWII.

rear end in a top hat.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PederP posted:

A proxy war requires more than this - a proxy also needs to act on behalf of another power.

Which I suspect almost never happens, and goes into my belief that a lot of IR commentary is quite racist, focusing on big powers rather than the people primarily affected.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Szmitten posted:

i mean i dont think they will until putin gets pissed and "replaces" luka and even that just ends with some sort of horror show in belarus.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Furthermore, the analysts are looking at the numbers and the math, and not, almost definitionally, at intangibles like morale or politics or economics.

I think this is one of the big splits between the professional and amateur analysts of this conflict.

Then professionals are looking at the situation on the ground and going "if these trends continue, then . . ."

The amateurs are looking at the same trend lines and going "this poo poo can't continue like this, there's gonna have to be a collapse . . . here, or here, or here . . ."

well sudden collapse is very rarely "sudden" but yeah. i think at this point its just which dominos falls first and does it push the others over quickly or slowly.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Szmitten posted:

BREAKING: Belarus has joined the fight, expect to invade as soon as tomorrow

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Valtonen posted:

You can go to war with a bold step, Angry face and middle finger extended towards kremlin, or tippytoe with increasing amounts of assistance and sanctions until at some point you realized you are pouring dogshit into Putins shoes and giggling. Currently we are choosing this route.

I disagree. Biden and NATO's position has been very consistent, and as the whole MiG debacle suggests they are very keen to maintain the guardrails preventing direct conflict.

Valtonen posted:

Judging by what is going on this is a fluid process and a number of those models and intelligence is getting a thorough re-evaluation based on the Russian performance so far.
Honestly, I think those reevaluations of Russia's conventional military power make the arguments for intervention weaker not stronger. Poland hardly needs to intervene when the strategy of sanctions and arms shipments seems to be degrading the Russian campaign like is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

BREAKING: Belarus has joined the fight, expect to invade as soon as tomorrow

Can someone recommend a primer article or decent twitter thread on Lukashenko and Belarus in the context of this conflict?

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 21, 2022

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kikas posted:

On behalf of the 40 milion of us here in Poland - gently caress him hard.

We equate the Soviet occupation to Nazi occupation because it is equal and maybe even worse in some places. Yes, our nations were close but all those ties were severed clean by the USSR which decided to puppeteer/conquer all of it's neighbours, praying on the fact that we were loving devastated by WWII.

rear end in a top hat.

It's darkly hilarious how it's just treated as a total mystery by some people why so many central & eastern European countries ran to NATO the nanosecond the Iron Curtain went down.

"Gosh, what can possibly explain this behavior after 45 years of being under the thumb of a hostile foreign power?" :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Corporate would like you to tell the difference between these two pictures