Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

In case anyone is wondering what's with the three dots in a triangle in the first note: it's the logical symbol for "therefore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished book 1 of Species Imperative by Julie E. Czerneda

really liked it, love books that spend a lot of time on alien races w/ weird beliefs and weirder biology. Started book 2, curious where it's going to go next.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Small Gods (Discworld #13) by Terry Pratchett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QTEA3I/

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1) by Michael J Sullivan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWBUKK/

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UX8SNU/

The Fifth Science by Exurb1a - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GTMYVZF/
Said to be a mix of great and really bad short stories.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Zodiac is dope - or at least that's my memory from reading it in like 2003. Small Gods is one of the very best Discworld novels, and IIRC is a stand alone novel where you won't be missing context by not having read other Discworld books.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Zodiac is fun.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zodiac is Stephenson’s best book. I will not be taking any questions.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

habeasdorkus posted:

Zodiac is dope - or at least that's my memory from reading it in like 2003. Small Gods is one of the very best Discworld novels, and IIRC is a stand alone novel where you won't be missing context by not having read other Discworld books.
Small Gods for sure is one of the best Discworlds and yes it's completely standalone (it's also set like, decades before any of the others*, so it's actually standalone)

*Granny Weatherwax talks about people who have witnessed the events of SG as though they happened some decades back in Carpe Jugulum, off the top of my head

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kalman posted:

I haven't read all of Stephenson's books, but I did enjoy Zodiac the most of the ones I did read - which included Snow Crash and The Diamond Age.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Anathem must be close second...

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Just finished “el lugar” by Mario levrero, an Uruguayan “sci-fi” book from the 80’s that hasn’t been translated into English

This dude wakes up in an empty room with his last memory being of crossing the street. He is in a line of interconnected empty, cold rooms that allow no backtracking, eventually the rooms get populated with people that speak a weird language and physically look slightly off. Each family lives in their "room" and never leave, their food gets magically replenished every "night", when the lights get turned off. After a while he meets up with other "real humans", who all have equally bizarre stories about how they reached "el lugar"; "The place". One woke up in an abandoned temple in an abandoned city, another got lost in the woods, etc.

I say "sci-fi" because at points it gets surreal, and the how and why the situation happened aren't the point. It's more about what do we really know about how we live everyday? Why do we push forwards every day? Our neighbours speak our same language and we never talk to them, why should it matter if we couldn't unjderstand them?

It reminded me of Cube, Lost, and any other media where they go "answers? We don't have those, but have a bigger mystery".

It's short and good. It does get a bit uncomfortable, the main character is an rear end in a top hat.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Started Winter’s Orbit on a goon rec from up thread and I love it so far. Just two idiot hot messes plunging head first into a galactic crisis.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kalman posted:

So true, it's the only book of his I kept the last time I cleaned out my bookshelves.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

pradmer posted:

Life After Life (Todd Family #1) by Kate Atkinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TUQ60G/

A little late on this one, but for those of you who loved Harry August, pick this one up. It's another serial lives story, but I think much more beautiful and thoughtful than Harry August.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

A little late on this one, but for those of you who loved Harry August, pick this one up. It's another serial lives story, but I think much more beautiful and thoughtful than Harry August.

The sequel made me cry

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Has anyone read Jennifer Government by Max Barry? It was constantly being advertised on NationStates.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

:shrug: it's fine enough, kind of YA?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
nationstates was marketing for jennifer government that got out of hand iirc

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I read it at the age of like ~14 because of NationStates and even at the time I thought it was... unremarkable? Looking back on it, from memory: perfectly mediocre plot and characters; extremely tepid political commentary. Not much substance to it generally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a computing pun posted:

I read it at the age of like ~14 because of NationStates and even at the time I thought it was... unremarkable? Looking back on it, from memory: perfectly mediocre plot and characters; extremely tepid political commentary. Not much substance to it generally.

It's pure distilled liberalism. Which is to say: the most lukewarm of takes on any given subject; a belief that no problem can be genuinely solved as that would require action; and an underlying smug sense of superiority that the author is the sensible adult in the room.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's pure distilled liberalism. Which is to say: the most lukewarm of takes on any given subject; a belief that no problem can be genuinely solved as that would require action; and an underlying smug sense of superiority that the author is the sensible adult in the room.

Would it be uncharitable to say that, while I deeply love him and consider him formative to my understanding of the world, I've been re-reading a lot of Pratchett lately and this description sounds uncomfortably familiar

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pratchett was a bit beyond that, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

freebooter posted:

Would it be uncharitable to say that, while I deeply love him and consider him formative to my understanding of the world, I've been re-reading a lot of Pratchett lately and this description sounds uncomfortably familiar

Yes, it would, and it would also indicate a deep and profound failure on your part to understand Pratchett's work.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

freebooter posted:

I’m impressed you’re willing to say this in a room full of Pratchett fans. It’s like asking for a fight.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read Jennifer Government by Max Barry? It was constantly being advertised on NationStates.

It's okay. If you want to read a novel about corporate libertarian dystopia, a better choice is Bruce Sterling's Islands in the Net.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Finished The Monster Baru Cormorant last night and was very happy I didn't have to wait to start in on Tyrant because wow that's a lot of cliffhangers left hanging. I just reached the part where Barhu is recognized for the first time by Baru and Yawa. gently caress and yes.

Also, I completely get how this series has a lot of fan-art out there. I cracked up at this one (spoilers for The Traitor Baru Cormorant):

https://twitter.com/marschildwells/status/1181769723794612224

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the reminder, finally going to read tyrant (after rereading traitor and monster) :cheers:

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

tokenbrownguy posted:

Started Winter’s Orbit on a goon rec from up thread and I love it so far. Just two idiot hot messes plunging head first into a galactic crisis.

This is a great read, I read the original on AO3 and it was interesting to see all the plot added and angst removed for the published version.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Went from "Spellmonger" to "Kalpa Imperial" and experienced a writing quality shock so severe that I was euphoric for like 5 hours.

(Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Spellmonger just fine for what it is.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sax Solo posted:

Went from "Spellmonger" to "Kalpa Imperial" and experienced a writing quality shock so severe that I was euphoric for like 5 hours.

(Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Spellmonger just fine for what it is.)

Whoa, Kalpa Imperial looks rad.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

silvergoose posted:

I finished it a few days ago after seeing someone else talk about it in TBB. It was fantastic: excellent prose, cool stories, interesting world. I need to find out if any of the author's other books have been translated to English.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

silvergoose posted:

Oh poo poo that sounds amazing! and a LeGuin translation! Is it like Always Coming Home? That's my favourite book maybe.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Every time I see someone talk about Kalpa Imperial I go to try and get an ebook copy of it, and every time I spend half an hour looking and get stumped at every turn by international digital rights and sketchy looking ebook websites. I wish my local library had it available. Maybe I'll just suck it up and order a physical copy from Amazon, they at least seem to offer that much.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

Transition by Iain M Banks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002O0Q6YS/

The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume Two: Swords Against Wizardry, The Swords of Lankhmar, and Swords and Ice Magic by Fritz Leiber - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8WP9LR/

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

:ironicat:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Oh poo poo that sounds amazing! and a LeGuin translation! Is it like Always Coming Home? That's my favourite book maybe.

Could not be any more unlike Always Coming Home, but it's still very good!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Every time I see someone talk about Kalpa Imperial I go to try and get an ebook copy of it, and every time I spend half an hour looking and get stumped at every turn by international digital rights and sketchy looking ebook websites. I wish my local library had it available. Maybe I'll just suck it up and order a physical copy from Amazon, they at least seem to offer that much.

You should be able to buy the ebook direct from the publisher (who's back catalogue you should also check out, Small Beer are consistently good at picking out great works)

https://smallbeerpress.com/books/2003/08/15/kalpa-imperial/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I’m impressed you’re willing to say this in a room full of Pratchett fans. It’s like asking for a fight.

I am also, still, a Pratchett fan! I just don't find his novels quite as profound as I did as a teenager. I am thinking specifically of Interesting Times which has some very unfortunate attitudes towards both a) Oriental cultures, and b) the notion of overthrowing a tyrannical government. It'll be interesting to reach Night Watch again where he re-examines that issue on home turf.

Pratchett in some ways is similar to JK, I think - both working/middle class baby boomer Brits who believed that if change is necessary it has to be incremental and, as somebody said a few pages back, that a lot of what's wrong in the world can be laid at the feet of bad actors rather than bad systems. (Though Pratchett is way less rigid on this than Rowling, I think.)

edit - I'll also add that I don't think an author has to be in lockstep with my own views to be "good" or even to make valid political points of their own, that would of course be childish. It's just something I notice more as an adult in his writing than I did as a teenager.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 24, 2022

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

This is cool, and its too bad the author never wrote anything else.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Three of Angelica Gorodischer's books are in english, all by the same company. https://es.ar1lib.org/s/angelica%20gorodischer/?languages%5B0%5D=english

Kalpa Imperial was fun, the one with the actors was weird. I don't remember many details though.

Edit: i was going to say that if you want weird "rioplatense" sci-fi you should read the last book i mentioned, until i remembered it wasn't translated.

INstead I will recommend Little eyes, by Samanta Schweblin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48635845-little-eyes

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

This is cool, and its too bad the author never wrote anything else.
It's weird to see a comment like this when the author actually didn't write anything else and it isn't just a joke about how all the rest of their books suck.