Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Te real question is: Is it clancychat to talk about nuking subforums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pavlov posted:

Is it clancychat to talk about nuking subforums?

Radium chat is even more dangerous and verboten

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
C-SPAM is full of the alt right masquerading as the left and unironic tankies waxing poetically about their desires to live in authoritarian regimes. Its honestly pretty sad, and this forum is a part of the alt-right pipeline problem. They use the "This used to be an edgy comedy forum" as a shield from criticism but if this forum had an ounce of common sense they would ban people posting that trash, ironic or not (and its never actually ironic).

Lowtax is dead, thank god, and hopefully some day we will be able to get out of his edgy teenage shadow one day too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

shut the gently caress up about cspam theres a goddamn war on and this is supposed to be the thread for it

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Fuligin posted:

shut the gently caress up about cspam theres a goddamn war on and this is supposed to be the thread for it

This is the part of the war where we ban the opposition [posters]

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fuligin posted:

Well, there's also the Ukrainian war thread in the other said forum...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Here's something on topic:

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1506138745032306693

That feels high to me, so I'll take it with a grain of salt until we get better confirmation, but hey, it would be pretty baller if true.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Of all the posting gimmicks this lovely forum has seen, this is truly the most sublime. God bless Deteriorata, Slava Ukrainii.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Majorian posted:

Here's something on topic:

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1506138745032306693

That feels high to me, so I'll take it with a grain of salt until we get better confirmation, but hey, it would be pretty baller if true.

The casualty figures do roughly comport with the numbers western intel has been putting out so it seems reasonably likely to me.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I hear you, I see you. C-SPAM will be deleted at midnight tonight.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

It also seemed like they aren't reporting POWs and MIAs separate from those, and so it could be that the KIAs are at least somewhat inflated by it. I think someone posted though that Ukraine has only claimed several hundred POWs so far.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

The casualty figures do roughly comport with the numbers western intel has been putting out so it seems reasonably likely to me.

Oh yeah, I was referring to the downed planes though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Majorian posted:

Oh yeah, I was referring to the downed planes though.

Oh! Yeah I have no idea if that number is credible, but then given how Russia's been performing... I can believe it even if I want to see a bit more proof before I actually do believe it.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I hear you, I see you. C-SPAM will be deleted at midnight tonight.

Final Edit: On second thought, this joke really was that bad.

MSB3000 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2022

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

This is partly why I dislike the comparisons to Nazis that are constantly being made during this war. There is no comparison to what the Nazis did. No side during this war could ever get close to their crimes. Indiscriminate shelling is horrendous but it's not the same thing as SS soldiers showing up to villages and systematically exterminating anyone who should be according to their racial science.

Lol, if calling people Nazis is too gauche for you, better first talk to one Vladimir Putin, since this was one of the justifications for this war, and one of the terms of negotiation for a ceasefire.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The cspam thread is 90% people obsessed with making GBS threads on the dnd and gbs threads and now this thread is 90% making GBS threads on cspam. an ouroboros of shitposting, glory to sa

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Concerned Citizen posted:

I don't mind judakel posting in here because this thread is basically always at serious risk of becoming an extreme echo chamber. He quite frankly is getting dunked on itt because he is posting dumb poo poo like "kyiv is starving" even though it is obviously not remotely true, but that is just because he's wrong. I think he literally believes that. You're allowed to be wrong. Almost everyone itt has been wrong at some point including and maybe especially me. If he posts stuff in here he knows is wrong to get a reaction, sure, gently caress off and ban him forever. But if people are just mad he's poo poo posting in c-spam, that isn't worth a thread derail about jeffrey.

I don't mind Dr. David Duke posting here, dissenting opinions are valuable

The SA moderation is a joke, and their insistence that 8chan is an important source of diversity is absolutely sickening.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SourKraut posted:

It also seemed like they aren't reporting POWs and MIAs separate from those, and so it could be that the KIAs are at least somewhat inflated by it. I think someone posted though that Ukraine has only claimed several hundred POWs so far.

I can see the Russians counting all the POWs as dead under the assumption that everyone just shoots their POWs.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Lack of POWS makes sense to me given the environment I'm *wildly* assuming Russians are in. They have a bad organizational structure, poor morale and poor logistics aggravating this. On the flip side, they have been pumped full of propaganda that Ukraine will be conquered no matter what.

Would you expect an easier time from the Russian military coming after you as a deserter or as a POW? I feel like the former is easier to give a bribe to at least.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuligin posted:

There is a war and there are people cheering for it, ruining the space. Stop pretending this isn't relevant.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Family Values posted:

Lol, if calling people Nazis is too gauche for you, better first talk to one Vladimir Putin, since this was one of the justifications for this war, and one of the terms of negotiation for a ceasefire.

Yes, I agree with that. He is using Nazi imagery to justify morally indefensible behavior that is killing thousands of innocent people and ruining millions of lives.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

There is a war and there are people cheering for it, ruining the space. Stop pretending this isn't relevant.

So slogging through the last 100 or so posts I see one bad post by a bad poster followed by an extremely tedious 80-post derail and accompanying post history inquest.

I mean the bad post is bad, but it was just one post.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ms Adequate posted:

the tabloid leak thing was discussed earlier today. the tabloid claims that specific line on casualties was inserted by a hacker, which would be weird, but honestly seems less weird to me than someone in the russian mod leaking these figures to a pro-government tabloid and the writers and editors actually going ahead and running with it

MSB3000 posted:

If Russia invading Ukraine leads to the deletion of C-SPAM then I guess it will have been worth it.

this whole inter-forums slap fight is already incredibly stupid, but this post manages to also be weirdly gross

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the tabloid leak thing was discussed earlier today. the tabloid claims that specific line on casualties was inserted by a hacker, which would be weird, but honestly seems less weird to me than someone in the russian mod leaking these figures to a pro-government tabloid and the writers and editors actually going ahead and running with it

Inserting a single line into an article written by an actual propagandist makes it easier to accept it for those conditioned to such propaganda without rejecting it outright. That part is smart. Still not believable, though.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

So slogging through the last 100 or so posts I see one bad post by a bad poster followed by an extremely tedious 80-post derail and accompanying post history inquest.

I mean the bad post is bad, but it was just one post.

he posted a few times in here

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Epinephrine posted:

Advocating for a genocide jesus loving christ

Source? Jesus was famously a groundbreaking advocate of non-violent protest.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Despera posted:

he posted a few times in here

And he was roundly debunked and probated within the current rules of D&D.

The rules which have vastly improve the readability of D&D until the latest derail. I hope everyone including myself is probed for talking about it.

If people have a problem with someone who champions warcrimes in the irony politics forum, bring it up in QCS, they've been asking for complainers to compile/quote posts for ages now.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

fez_machine posted:

The rules which have vastly improve the readability of D&D until the latest derail. I hope everyone including myself is probed for talking about it.

If people have a problem with someone who champions warcrimes in the irony politics forum, bring it up in QCS, they've been asking for complainers to compile/quote posts for ages now.

gently caress QCS

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, sure. I don't know what QCS is at this point, but it's definitely not a support forum.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Give it a shot anyway.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Give it a shot anyway.

Got banned last time i posted there

Now its just a great place to get dogpiled

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fez_machine posted:

When was the last time somebody posted a genuine problem in QCS and it was solved instead of FYAD-lite style dogpiling, followed by a mod/admin stating that it's not a problem and swift closure of the thread?

Looking at the "harmonious" threads that are allowed to persist in there tells you all there is to know.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Like genuinely, even though I was told to shut up bitch and who cares, the CSPAM mods (Azathoth notably) were mostly receptive and sincere in their responses when I did a couple of threads in QCS a few days ago.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fez_machine posted:

Like genuinely, even though I was told to shut up bitch and who cares, the CSPAM mods (Azathoth notably) were mostly receptive and sincere in their responses when I did a couple of threads in QCS a few days ago.

I'm sure they are sincere in their expressed beliefs.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Pleasant Friend posted:

Australia PM has promised to give thousands of tons of coal to Ukraine in aid, does Ukraine have any way to actually use that right now?

I'm sure they can use the coal, the logistics of getting it there is more what surprises me. A quick google tells me they have 3 coal import paths Russia (Blocked Obviously), Ports (Blocked) and Poland. I'm guessing they'll be delivering to Poland and hopefully they have a direct industrial rail line from the port to Ukraine.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
A senior SA MoD official held a background briefing today.

*In the last 24/48 hours we have seen meme activity from both sides increase... CSPAM posted more than 300 memes in the last 24 hours and D&D has likewise picked up the pace of shitposting

*a good number of CSPAM posters never leave CSPAM. They're not not venturing very far or for very long into D&D.

*We assess CSPAM shitposting abilities at just below 90 percent. And -- and again, you have to remember, yes, they're expending an awful lot, but they also built up an awful lot since the early fall, and they just have a lot available to them.

*I would just tell you that in general, we believe they [D&D] still have more than 90 percent of their shitposting power available to them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think the only path to a negotiated peace at this point is for the Russians With Attitude Podcast to do a deep dive with special guest Ilia Ponomarenko.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eXXon posted:

I think the only path to a negotiated peace at this point is for the Russians With Attitude Podcast to do a deep dive with special guest Ilia Ponomarenko.

The first on-air three-way murder in podcast history. It will probably not be the last.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think something this war has illustrated is that the US has a major hole in our air defense umbrella. Like we have the Patriot missile system which is very advanced and is designed for shooting down high altitude aircraft and even ballistic missiles and it takes a lot of training and has a whole system of radar vehicles required to operate it. Then we also have the stinger missile, which is a man portable system designed to take out low flying aircraft and helicopters and doesn't have anywhere near the training requirement of the Patriot. But in between those system we have... Nothing. Like I get it, the US war doctrine for decades now has been to gain air superiority first before committing land forces so I guess the military never felt the need to develop some kind of medium range self contained radar or IR tracking AA missile system. And 20 years of war against insurgents probably didn't help motivate the military to come up with one either.

But the reason I bring this up in relation to the Ukraine war is because this is exactly the kind of system the Ukrainians need. If we had something like this, maybe we could have spent the last 8 years supplying them to the Ukrainians and training them. Although before the war the US government might have felt that would be too provocative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So I have been nerding out on YouTube videos, I saw that.... Someone (Poland?) Is providing Ukraine switchblades, have those drones ever seen military theater before? Honestly didn't know they existed until about a week ago.