Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Why do they target like malls and civilian hospitals? Do they try to hit military targets and just keep missing?

On one hand Russia is clearly doing a bunch of indiscriminate bombardment and has absolutely hit hospitals etc, but on the other, the Kyiv mall that was hit recently was being used to store military vehicles.

https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1505860511795195906

https://twitter.com/brycewilsonAU/status/1505988022260707333

It's difficult to know the exact motivation for any particular attack since the position of Ukrainian military assets is understandably secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Heran Bago posted:

Why do they target like malls and civilian hospitals? Do they try to hit military targets and just keep missing?

That shopping center had military vehicles using it as cover so they can clearly hit military targets when they feel like it. They were likewise able to nail that barracks near Lviv last week. I think in the absence of targets they just hit anything they think hurts the general population the most because being dicks is part of their doctrine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Heran Bago posted:

At least one of the mall strikes was because the Ukrainian Army was using the parking lot as an artillery park. (Probably why the Ukrainian government hasn’t been complaining/propagandizing much about that one) but as for the rest probably a 80/20 mix of deliberate targeting and general inaccuracy. The Russians got a rep for targeting hospitals in Syria. Deliberate civilian casualties is kind of their thing.

E: f,b and with sources too

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

SpiritOfLenin posted:

there was an earlier prediction a couple of weeks ago that Russia was about to run out of supplies that did not come true, so I'd take claims like that with a healthy amount of scepticism.

If we're thinking about the same prognostication it was that they would hit the upper limit of their allocated logistical supply for the invasion. That's pretty much true, and they've stalled out real hard in most of their competing theatres.

Wouldn't suggest they couldn't eventually work out resupply but it did suggest it would terminate substantial progress into the country while they unfuck things as best they can.

On top of that some forces did just run out of supplies entirely lol

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

gay picnic defence posted:

8000 kcal per day per person

3kg of food and water a day

If this is Russian doctrine, then no bloody wonder the fat bastards don't advance.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Besides the obvious "it's terror tactics intended to break morale", hitting critical civilian infrastructure like that suggests a strategy of displacement which will add managing a humanitarian crisis and evacuation to the workload of the defenders.

Chalks posted:

On one hand Russia is clearly doing a bunch of indiscriminate bombardment and has absolutely hit hospitals etc, but on the other, the Kyiv mall that was hit recently was being used to store military vehicles.
This too. It's urban warfare so inevitably some of the defending forces - particularly the irregulars I'd imagine - aren't going to be too concerned about the Geneva obligation to separate civilian and military objectives.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 22, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Staluigi posted:

If we're thinking about the same prognostication it was that they would hit the upper limit of their allocated logistical supply for the invasion. That's pretty much true, and they've stalled out real hard in most of their competing theatres.

Wouldn't suggest they couldn't eventually work out resupply but it did suggest it would terminate substantial progress into the country while they unfuck things as best they can.

On top of that some forces did just run out of supplies entirely lol

I think that prediction was based on Russian units taking 2 weeks of supplies with them and anything extra needing to be bought in from outside.

People took that to mean Russian forces would hit a brick wall and collapse immediately after 2 weeks but that ignores the fact that supplies *have* been getting through, just not enough of them so it's a slow depletion of materiel available at the front lines rather than an abrupt halt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fnox posted:

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1506173698822316032

This is by the same guy that wrote the article that they pulled before. I wonder how widespread that idea of restoring the USSR under Putin actually is. It sounds like complete nonsense.

This just reads like repackaged Duginism to me, with callbacks to the USSR for audience nostalgia.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

Doesn't that function cost an extra $10?

I only paid the initial $10 to register an account, and my ignore list works fine.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Russia has a much more relaxed view on civilian casualties than the west. They will usually officially pay lip service to civilian safety but then mostly ignore it in practice. Examples where you can see these attitudes toward collateral damage even in domestic contexts are the Chechen wars, the Beslan hostage crisis or the Moscow theater siege.

Why they target specific buildings and not other probably depends. They might believe there is a field hospital in there or troops or equipment. It might also just be a terror bombing or to deny the enemy some very defensible structure in the future.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Athas posted:

If this is Russian doctrine, then no bloody wonder the fat bastards don't advance.

War burns a lot of calories.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Athas posted:

Combat is somewhat more strenuous than posting on the internet.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SpiritOfLenin posted:

there was an earlier prediction a couple of weeks ago that Russia was about to run out of supplies that did not come true, so I'd take claims like that with a healthy amount of scepticism.

steinrokkan posted:

That prediction was that they would run it of steam in few weeks, IE right about now. Which is consistent with these new reports, though both may be inaccurate.

There were multiple.

Bellingcat for some stupid reason tried to be the first outlet that calls the election before polls even close. Based on the week 1 reports of truck maintenance and fuel supply issues they had seen all they needed and were calling the Russian logistic collapse weeks ago. This was really stupid and caused a lot of people to dismiss the concept as a false doomsday prediction.

A lot of reports suggested Russia planned for a 3 week invasion with that time just running out now.
https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/1505708160568463361?s=20&t=IRQd_LKTTnmENIsY2jQygg

More recently the person doing the widely read reports on maintenance and supply issues has claimed April-May.
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1505370328549179392?s=20&t=IRQd_LKTTnmENIsY2jQygg

I get the desire to point out why Russia's advance completely collapsed and why they started off the war running out of gas in the first few days with soldiers looting grocery stores but there is no way to know when or if they will run out of supplies before this is decided. It certainly seems that way due to the poor logistics and supply issues everyone is noticing but those kind of things aren't going to be uniform nationwide.

Poor general maintenance practices will be but the losses aren't going to be uniform at this point. Those 30-40 truck convoys getting completely destroyed in the first week might have been why the northern troops ran out of gas and food but they still have roughly 2/3rds of their forces left so other areas could still have supply lines. This is also a fight to the death not a fleet of rental Trucks being of such poor quality that an Enterprise has to shut down. Some field commander probably isn't going to sideline a truck because it's lost a middle tire or keeps overheating. They might pull parts off of destroyed ones. They might loot parts from Ukraine's retail or military. It's a complex issue and all trucks aren't going to be inoperable by a deadline.

Pro-Russia people are explaining that the advance halted to enact 80 year old textbook encirclement attacks with artillery preserving their troops, so therefore they are well supplied and the halt is just Perfect Strategy. That's obviously delusional and after losing 1/3rd of their forces and what has to be 10,000+ troops with extremely documented supply issues literally everywhere it's safe to say supplies are a going concern but anyone trying to pick a specific date shouldn't be.

The closest you can come is the apparently accurate captured plans of a 3 week total military action planned by Russia. They experienced acute shortages when suffering extreme casualties almost immediately but theoretically had 3 weeks of unspecified supplies. That's around now. The issue with that is food/fuel reinforcements are easier to send than troops and armor so it's entirely possibly they manage to feed people so long their army just loses the weaponry to fight the war they want to fight.

Either way the losses are completely unsustainable so that's why everyone is trying to predict why every weekend is the new end of the war.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 22, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Majorian posted:

That feels high to me, so I'll take it with a grain of salt until we get better confirmation, but hey, it would be pretty baller if true.

"9 air targets" is actually a lot less impressive when spelled out: "These are 1 plane, 6 UAVs and 2 helicopters," I believe the helicopters were on the ground at Kherson airfield, and at least one of those drones was a really small one.

Charliegrs posted:

I think something this war has illustrated is that the US has a major hole in our air defense umbrella. Like we have the Patriot missile system which is very advanced and is designed for shooting down high altitude aircraft and even ballistic missiles and it takes a lot of training and has a whole system of radar vehicles required to operate it. Then we also have the stinger missile, which is a man portable system designed to take out low flying aircraft and helicopters and doesn't have anywhere near the training requirement of the Patriot. But in between those system we have... Nothing. Like I get it, the US war doctrine for decades now has been to gain air superiority first before committing land forces so I guess the military never felt the need to develop some kind of medium range self contained radar or IR tracking AA missile system. And 20 years of war against insurgents probably didn't help motivate the military to come up with one either.

But the reason I bring this up in relation to the Ukraine war is because this is exactly the kind of system the Ukrainians need. If we had something like this, maybe we could have spent the last 8 years supplying them to the Ukrainians and training them. Although before the war the US government might have felt that would be too provocative.

There's NASAMS, but no-one really has any to spare.

raverrn posted:

The Us Armed Forces has decided (probably correctly) that shooting down drones and loitering munitions and whatever else is a losing proposition. You've putting a ton of money into a medium range system like the Tor, it leashes your forces to it, it's vulnerable to enemy action and breaking down, and in the end you can buy a ton of TB-2s or Harops to overmatch it. You save more lives and preserve more power by hitting their bases and interdicting their delivery.

Er, that's not true at all. The Army just determined that the systems currently available are unsuited to the task, and is furiously developing new systems for it. Off the top of my head:

1. The replacement for Bradley (OMFV) is supposed to come with an AA-capable 50mm autocannon with AA firecontrol and smart rounds (so there will be gun-based medium AA in every formation because literally every IFV does the mission.)
2. The Army is currently funding a crash program to integrate an AA laser on a Stryker chassis. (DE M-SHORAD) They currently have a prototype doing trials, and are hoping to get something accepted for fielding during this year.

The issue was that the systems the Army could have bought for the job would have used multimillion-dollar missiles to shoot down few-tens-of-thousand-dollar drones, and the Army was not happy about that at all. They absolutely believe that the mission is important and it needs to be done, they just want to bring the cost per shot down to usable levels before acquiring a system. In the meantime, their plan is to try to hit bases and interdict delivery.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

the government usually buys the votes of ethnic Hungarians in Zakarpattia. Fidesz voters are pro-Russia tho, and somehow the war increased Fidesz support. Go figure.

It's been a part of Russian propaganda from the start that Hungary should attack Ukraine from the west and take Zakarpattia. Probably some of those voters are hoping for a Russian victory.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And if each military district is fighting its own war that would explain why the Russians have been struggling to pick a couple of areas to prioritise.

e: there seems to be a consistent theme emerging on commentators. Before the war most of the pol commentators were saying 'Putin will never invade, it makes no sense' while the mil commentators were saying 'The activity we are seeing makes no sense unless he really is going to invade'. Now I'm seeing the pol commentators who are still sticking their heads up saying things like 'the longer the war goes on the worse the terms Ukraine will get are' while the mil commentators are saying 'the longer the war goes on without some kind of breakthrough success, the worse things get for Russia'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 22, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not that I distrusted this guy, but I found the article https://kyivindependent.com/uncategorized/authorities-detain-kyiv-man-for-sharing-footage-of-ukrainian-military-on-tiktok/
Seems he shared a tiktok back in February of military vehicles there. Doesn't seem likely that's why they fired there.

This video posted to Russian Telegram seems to suggest they found it by following an MLRS trying to reload :nms: https://t.me/ru2ch_news/38580
But again this video doesn't actually show the point where the vehicle entered the mall region, so it could just be justification after the fact.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I get the desire to point out why Russia's advance completely collapsed and why they started off the war running out of gas in the first few days with soldiers looting grocery stores but there is no way to know when or if they will run out of supplies before this is decided. It certainly seems that way due to the poor logistics and supply issues everyone is noticing but those kind of things aren't going to be uniform nationwide.

It's gonna be the middle option. Russia will continue for weeks or months and achieve some objectives, probably taking Mariupol and the rest of Donetsk, but will be unable to achieve its goals or enforce its will on Kyiv. Ukraine will end up in a 2014 status quo but with less territory and a even more hosed domestic situation and Russia will just become more and more isolated.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Alchenar posted:

And if each military district is fighting its own war that would explain why the Russians have been struggling to pick a couple of areas to prioritise.

e: there seems to be a consistent theme emerging on commentators. Before the war most of the pol commentators were saying 'Putin will never invade, it makes no sense' while the mil commentators were saying 'The activity we are seeing makes no sense unless he really is going to invade'. Now I'm seeing the pol commentators who are still sticking their heads up saying things like 'the longer the war goes on the worse the terms Ukraine will get are' while the mil commentators are saying 'the longer the war goes on without some kind of breakthrough success, the worse things get for Russia'.

It gets sublime with regards to the pol v. mil observations because the latter has always tried to analyze Ukraine's odds based off of what we knew of presumed russian capacity and size

which was

"russia simply has so much more trained manpower and superior armor/airforce/arty etc"

but with each week that went by this assessment has to adjust to accommodate new understandings of their actual numerical and technological strength

to say nothing of the difference in motivation and coordination

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:nms: https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1506229325598756872?cxt=HHwWkMC46evlmecpAAAA

Russian patrol boat hit by anti-tank missile somewhere near Mariupol seaside by Azov/Ukr army

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

It's gonna be the middle option. Russia will continue for weeks or months and achieve some objectives, probably taking Mariupol and the rest of Donetsk, but will be unable to achieve its goals or enforce its will on Kyiv. Ukraine will end up in a 2014 status quo but with less territory and a even more hosed domestic situation and Russia will just become more and more isolated.

I can’t see Russia keeping an army in the field long term. It’s costly in terms of money, materiel and warm bodies, and I think with Ukraine getting more and more weapons delivered they’re soon going to have the firepower to dislodge any static defences that get in their way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I legit have never read or known what the cspam thread everyone keeps talking about is but I got curious and Jesus Christ. One nice thing is that all the idiots are rounded up in a single thread that you can just ignore so every time you see a blocked person posting you know they’re an idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It's amusing that one of the facts that the military commentators used to say they were certain of the invasion was all the logistical support they had moved to the border.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Combat is somewhat more strenuous than posting on the internet.

8000 calories is beyond excessive, that is obesity-tier territory. In my gym freak days I was doing maybe 3500-4000 at most.

iirc Hafthor Bjornsson is like 7k calories a day

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

8000 calories is beyond excessive, that is obesity-tier territory. In my gym freak days I was doing maybe 3500-4000 at most.

War criming is very calorie intensive.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hafthor isn't dragging around a kit of 25 kg of equipment, while wearing wet clothes in a snowy forest or field turned mud pit, 24/7 in a near 0 degree Celsius conditions, getting maybe 5-7 hours of rest per day.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Staluigi posted:

It gets sublime with regards to the pol v. mil observations because the latter has always tried to analyze Ukraine's odds based off of what we knew of presumed russian capacity and size

which was

"russia simply has so much more trained manpower and superior armor/airforce/arty etc"

but with each week that went by this assessment has to adjust to accommodate new understandings of their actual numerical and technological strength

to say nothing of the difference in motivation and coordination

Oh yeah there's been a lot of people trying to unanchor expecations and reset in real time.

I disagree that the war 'ends' in stalemate. My bet is(armchair general caveat) both sides hit strategic exhaustion for any kind of operational level offensive/counter-offensives at the same time, but Ukranian willingless and ability to conduct light infantry ops along the lines of 'grab a few AT weapons and a couple of days supplies and lets go find some Russians to kill' far exceeds Russia's. A phase of the war in which Russia is neither trying to conduct large scale offensive operations nor is massing fires for any particular purpose is one in which Ukraine gets to fight on one of the very few clear advantages it has.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 22, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

With all due respect I don't think you guys understand just how much 8000 calories per day is, even for heavily armed soldiers.

I mean, I did a quick fact check search and all the links are variously saying 4000 calories or so for American soldiers.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 22, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

fnox posted:

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1506173698822316032

This is by the same guy that wrote the article that they pulled before. I wonder how widespread that idea of restoring the USSR under Putin actually is. It sounds like complete nonsense.

Make Russia Great Again!

Boomer brain rot is endemic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With all due respect I don't think you guys understand just how much 8000 calories per day is, even for heavily armed soldiers.

A soldier eating 8000 calories a day is going to have more than just heavy arms

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Most 24h field rations are in 3500-4500 range, I think arctic/cold climate ones are extra 1500 kcal.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Regarding rations.
American mres provide ca 3600 kcal per day.
Winter rations normally are about 5000 kcal per day.
Explorers working under arctic or Antarctic weather conditions eat maybe 8000 kcal per day.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
A buddy burned around 9000 calories spending 12 hours hiking up and down a 1700m mountain with a backpack. He weighed in at 130kg at the time. I mean thats not normal even by warcrimeing standards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
if you're eating 8000 calories a day how do you have time to do anything else

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When you read about bodybuilder and athlete diets eating that much is literally just work and has to be scheduled.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I mean, I did a quick fact check search and all the links are variously saying 4000 calories or so for American soldiers.

Make it a bit more for soldiers, crew, and even medical who have to operate exposed to cold weather elements

little things compound other things, like how most of these troops have to freeze their nuts off in unpowered vehicles because nobody got fuel which means that they're gonna have to eat more food etc

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Professional cyclists in, say, the Tour de France will burn 8000 calories per day of cycling, but they do perform a massive physical feat. These are athletes trained specifically to do that. I'd expect that to be (close to) an upper limit of what a body could ever burn in calories in a day.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SpiritOfLenin posted:

There was a certain problem with burying the lede on those headlines. "Russia's military formations carry about 3 weeks of supplies" - true. And that 3 weeks ran out. But a couple paragraphs down it's like 'So now they are reliant on supply deliveries.' Not quite as sensational. Russian logistics has been a mess, but they haven't been cut off either.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh hey, rare Javelin strike footage: (no gore, you are either watching someone's ride home brew up or some people who aren't going to need to worry about getting a ride home)

:nws:https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1506219574508892165:nws:

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Competition training was

"Here's the hours I book for the training"

And

"Here's the hours I book for the fitness regimen"

And

"Here's the hours I book for food prep and eating"

And

"Here's the hours I have to schedule for sitting on the shitter"

The competitive swimmers had it even worse, you just eat insane amounts of food all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Not to mention the obscene flatulence