Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

drat, how are SAMs still an issue? You'd think this would be a key part for anti-russia defense. Or did the existing stuff actually get sent to ukraine? :)

Political mismanagement and shifting goals. There are a lot of nice stuff slated for delivery in the next couple of years, both long range Patriots and something Mid-range from UK. Same goes for more planes, MLRS and AT missiles.
There are 2 ways of looking at it:
1. SAMs are not sexy, so let's buy a bunch of tanks or planes instead.
2. For a couple of years Polish Army was hobbled by a dude called Macierewicz, who some consider Russian spy, or at least unconscious asset. Dude single-handedly destroyed decades of successful intelligence network building, then gutted counter-intel office, thrown out of the window decade-long plans of army modernisation and managed to start quarrels with our allies. That's the reason NATO is/was hesitant to share information with Polish Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Irpin appears to be firmly back in Ukrainian hands. The Ukrainian army has turned it over to the local police force.

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1506552649285521453

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1506468626483879938

How legit this is is anyone's guess, but as Lukashenko seems to have no intention of moving in with Belarus troops while continuing to promise it, it appears the Russian government is looking to replace him.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Alexei Navalny's group claims to have evidence that the 459-foot, $700 million dollar yacht Scheherazade, parked in Italy, belongs to Putin.

https://navalny.com/p/6620/

It's a pretty great read. Evidence that lots of crew members work for the FSO: they're listed in people's leaked address books as "[name] FSO", they list a work address as an FSO office for tax forms, they list the FSO as their employers on credit checks.

Most interestingly, the New York Times spoke with the captain, the sole non-Russian crew member (he's British), and he said he was interviewed by Italian financial police in early March. So Italy could be on to something.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Finance/energy folks; If Russia is demanding gas payments in RUB, what are the countermeasures? Top of mind, I'd imagine EU nations will try to purchase reserve currency from Russia's laundry pals in the UAE and Saudi instead of directly enriching Russian sources, but this seems like a hardball maneuver that's going to be hard to fully counter.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

How legit this is is anyone's guess, but as Lukashenko seems to have no intention of moving in with Belarus troops while continuing to promise it, it appears the Russian government is looking to replace him.

If I were someone decently important in Polish government I'd prepare a plan to strap loudspeakers to drones and blast in Russian and Belarussian:
"Belarussian soldiers, that fight is pointless. If you head to Polish border we'll give each of you 5000 EUR, and provide you with EU Visas. We will pay extra for every piece of equipment you take with you. No questions asked, no prison time, you're free to stay in Poland or go to other EU countries. Head to the border, we'll even provide free train ticket and civillian clothes".

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Sit-rep from the Eastern front by Igor "Strelkov" Girkin

quote:

According to the situation at the front:

Donetsk region: heavy fighting in Mariupol, in the Ugledar region (not taken as of yesterday evening, contrary to official reports, on the basis of which I myself wrote and spoke about his occupation), in and around Maryinka, in the Verkhnetoretsky region, in the Severodonetsk-Lysichansk agglomeration , in the area of ​​Izyum and the city itself. Yesterday, the enemy front was nowhere broken or significantly pushed back.

The Armed Forces of the DPR are gradually advancing everywhere, however, the Armed Forces of Ukraine regularly counterattack. And if things go on like this, - by mid-April there will simply be no "personnel" Armed Forces of the DPR (to a lesser extent - the Armed Forces of the LPR, but the situation there is also not very different) - they will simply not physically remain. And completely untrained mobilized reservists (who are also thrown into battle - with corresponding losses) - you won’t gain much. Do they understand this in the Russian command, which continues to throw the Donetsk infantry into frontal attacks every day - I find it difficult to answer. The enemy also suffers very heavy losses, but his mobilization reserve is much more significant - many times more. But next in line are the rear fortified areas of the enemy in Kurakhovo, Bakhmut, Soledar, the Slavyansk-Kramatorsk-Druzhkovka-Konstantinovka agglomeration no less heavily fortified and extremely inconvenient for assault. And some of them are already occupied by enemy garrisons preparing for defense.
I remind you that in imperial and Soviet times, mobilized military personnel underwent at least minimal training in training and spare parts before being sent to the front. And tankers, artillerymen, sappers and signalmen (etc.) - came to the front already trained in their military profession to a sufficient extent. Otherwise, they would not be able to fight. I don’t know anything about the creation of such units and subdivisions in the LDNR (in other words, they don’t exist, if there were, I would know). And the war is for a long time. And if an infantryman can still be thrown into battle in the hope that "he will learn everything in a couple of days if he survives," then who will be put behind the levers of military vehicles when "all the old men are knocked out" - I don’t understand. Moreover, VOLUNTEERS FROM THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ARE NOT PERMITTED across the border. Often even those who have "calls" to specific military units. Moreover, it is precisely the "border agencies of the LDNR" that do not let through. Why this is done and for what - one can only guess ...

Near Nikolaev and south of Krivoy Rog - there were also stubborn battles, the operational result of which I do not know. Judging by the absence of victorious reports, Russian troops do not have much success there. The same picture - near Kiev.
From Chernigov to Kharkov - fights and skirmishes of local importance. The front line has not changed.

It is quite possible that in the next few weeks a "new front" will be opened west of Kyiv. This is evidenced by the feverish preparation by the Poles of their "expeditionary corps" for participation in hostilities in western Ukraine. I warned from the very beginning about the possibility of such a step on the part of "dear Western partners" if the RF Armed Forces failed to achieve decisive successes during the first weeks of the "special operation". Whether the Poles decide to intervene in the war or not, we will find out soon.

About much that I know from the details - I can not write.

There is still no mobilization and its preparation is not even heard. And without it, this war cannot be won. However, I do not rule out that completely different plans are hatched in the depths of the Ministry of Defense than to win. Or there (where it is warm and so far quite safe) they continue to amuse themselves (and not only themselves, but also the "supreme") with the illusion that "the enemy is about to run, planes and missiles will do their job and strain beyond the current have to".

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia thinks the upcoming conscription season starting on April 1st will be "complicated" - understatement of the year
https://twitter.com/ArtyomLukin/status/1506622944566460418?s=20&t=51zjBCipA57TB9fgNsjExQ
Article: https://www.interfax-russia.ru/northwest/news/genshtab-vs-rf-zapretil-napravlyat-prizyvnikov-v-rayony-svo-voenkom-peterburga

quote:

“I bring to your attention and to the attention of officials participating in the government meeting the information received through the order of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation on the categorical prohibition of sending conscripts to the areas of the special military operation,” Mazurin said.

SureJan.gif

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

I think its accurate to say that Lukashenko is between a rock and a hard place: If he invades, the Army appears likely to rebel against him. If he doesn't, Putin might, but given Putin's performance in Ukraine, Lukashenko may be betting that Putin doesn't have the men to do it and he could surround himself with the Army.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

It's hard to imagine a world where Belarus succeeds in doing that even if they did attack. Look at the amount of territory they would have to cross in order to reach that city vs what Russia managed to achieve.

Maybe I could believe it was the plan before the invasion, but that thread says this was planned to happen 3 days ago.

It's either nonsense or Putin has zero grasp of the reality in Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DOOMocrat posted:

Finance/energy folks; If Russia is demanding gas payments in RUB, what are the countermeasures? Top of mind, I'd imagine EU nations will try to purchase reserve currency from Russia's laundry pals in the UAE and Saudi instead of directly enriching Russian sources, but this seems like a hardball maneuver that's going to be hard to fully counter.

Contracts specify payment currency. We’ll just send our euros, and if they refuse - tear it all up, since that’s going to be valid casus belli for loving up their petro machine. This is very much a “gently caress around and find out” territory for Russia.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

This is the gut feeling of everyone around - Łukaszenko is too afraid of ordering an invasion of his own. Mostly because the public doesn't want it, he really doesn't want it, and the army really really doesn't want it. The possibility of a coup is high if he decides to push the order, as despite the ties that bind him personally to Putin, the idea of attacking Ukraine is not something that would go down easily in Belarus.
So the feeling is that his head will roll first, then Belarus joins the war. If that happens, I cannot predict the consequences for Europe.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

alex314 posted:

If I were someone decently important in Polish government I'd prepare a plan to strap loudspeakers to drones and blast in Russian and Belarussian:
"Belarussian soldiers, that fight is pointless. If you head to Polish border we'll give each of you 5000 EUR, and provide you with EU Visas. We will pay extra for every piece of equipment you take with you. No questions asked, no prison time, you're free to stay in Poland or go to other EU countries. Head to the border, we'll even provide free train ticket and civillian clothes".

They might be skeptical given how we treated the last batch of people trying to cross that particular border :v:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kikas posted:

This is the gut feeling of everyone around - Łukaszenko is too afraid of ordering an invasion of his own. Mostly because the public doesn't want it, he really doesn't want it, and the army really really doesn't want it. The possibility of a coup is high if he decides to push the order, as despite the ties that bind him personally to Putin, the idea of attacking Ukraine is not something that would go down easily in Belarus.
So the feeling is that his head will roll first, then Belarus joins the war. If that happens, I cannot predict the consequences for Europe.

If Luka knows this, and the West presumes it, how loving stupid is Putin to still want it? Setting aside the Belarussian army, there's no guarantee that after a coup you're going to be able to use Belarusian infrastructure to support your northern front. The whole thing could come tumbling down and strand a poo poo load of Russian troops.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kikas posted:

If the army doesn't want to invade and someone takes Lukaszenko out to get the order issued, I feel like that would just result in the army seizing control of the country. They'd seem very justified in doing so to prevent a foreign coup, even if the real reason is not wanting to invade.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kikas posted:

They might be skeptical given how we treated the last batch of people trying to cross that particular border :v:

Obvious answer: they will be white.
Interesting aside: since Polish Army relocated a lot of forces toward Ukrainian border the volunteers that help Syrians cross the border have it way easier now. They are also better organized, and supposedly enjoy more local support as well. I'd ask why the government still persist in that crime against humanity, but I already know the answer. Right wing cunts from Konfederacja started to take on the more racist electorate so they need to go full "US ICE Detention Camp" level of crimes, only do them in way dumber way.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

Are Russian state tv sites blocked inside the EU? I remember the EU removed the TV channel licenses but don't remember that it was supposed to include internet sites. Also, not every state TV channel site is blocked for me, only some.

They are blocked at DNS level, meaning if you set up cloudflare dns on your computer you can go to RT, sputnik or whatever you like.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Chalks posted:

If the army doesn't want to invade and someone takes Lukaszenko out to get the order issued, I feel like that would just result in the army seizing control of the country. They'd seem very justified in doing so to prevent a foreign coup, even if the real reason is not wanting to invade.

Does Russia have enough troops in Belarus to effectivly counter a military coup hostile to Russian Interests? Even if the Belarussian army is supposedlyt rather awful I can't imagine Russia being all that excited about opening up a second front.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DOOMocrat posted:

it seems reasonably clever as a way to stabilize the ruble and to give it value outside Russia to aid in imports (and it doesn't really matter where the EU buys rubles from). the countermeasures would be to tell them to go gently caress themselves, but that's a dangerous game given how dependent germany is on them. another countermeasure would be to put a punitive tarriff on russian oil and gas to really push everyone away from it and to lower its cost.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[edit:] I misread a run-on sentence

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Deteriorata posted:

Irpin appears to be firmly back in Ukrainian hands. The Ukrainian army has turned it over to the local police force.

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1506552649285521453

Not entirely.

https://twitter.com/WynnWs/status/1506614851300438017

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Military wisdom of a Belurussian invasion aside, it's classic autocracy. Forcing Lukashenko to invade, despite it being stupid, cuts him away from any other support he might have in Belarus or abroad. Pretty similar to 'Telling outrageous lies and seeing who will agree with you' bit, except a hell of a lot bloodier.

That Lukashenko reeeeally doesn't want to is almost the point.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reports that white phosphorus has allegedly been used in Hostomel and Irpin (no images/video):

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1506618035729276941

If true that is a serious escalation.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 23, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kikas posted:

NATO is not stepping in if Belarus joins the war against Ukraine. They will keep funding the latter and add the Russian sanctions to Belarus. That is my guess.

vvvv: I believe they used it in the Luhansk region a few weeks ago too.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 23, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Reports that white phosphorus has allegedly been used in Hostomel and Irpin (no images/video):

No loving way

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ZombieLenin posted:

Are you in France or the United Kingdom? If so you are completely wrong, your militaries would have kicked the poo poo out of the Russians.
Russia's biggest mistake was underestimating Ukraine and treating the war as something that would be over in 4 days with a victory parade in Maidan square. If they knew they were going to be fighting the British or French they wouldn't make that mistake. So I don't think this is true.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Sit-rep from the Eastern front by Igor "Strelkov" Girkin

For those of us who weren’t following the EE thread prior to the war, who is Igor Girkin and why is he writing from a Russian perspective while delivering news that I can’t imagine Putin would be at all happy to see spread?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

They will probably use weasel words like Bush/Obama and claim it was for illumination or smoke.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

it isn't an escalation any more than using thermobarics or cluster munitions

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

No loving way

Apparently they might just be a different kind of incindiary round? Spoilered in case, but the tweet has pictures of the spark/burst pattern in the air in the dark

https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1506587463304859656?s=20&t=7BGWPtM-bqQJDy-_2X3PdQ

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Now I'm very much an amateur, but I'm not sure you need smokescreens for concealment at night.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mr. Apollo posted:

Probably surprising to no one here, but one of the major newspapers in Canada, the Toronto Star conducted a poll asking people if Russia's invasion of Ukraine was justified. The responses were broken down by vaccination status.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1505642779795283968

Last week, a reporter from another major Canadian newspaper, The Globe and Mail, was posting screenshots from a bunch of the Trucker Convoy WhatsApp and Telegram channels. They were all filled with pro-Russian/pro-Putin propaganda. A lot of it was pretty anti-Semitic too. The reporter said that the anti-vax messaging channels had almost instantly turned to anti-Ukrainian messaging as soon as the war began.
That drat gubmint can't tell me what to do! rah-rah muh freedoms!

But Putin should invade Ukraine and tell Ukrainians what to do at the point of a literal gun!

I don't think "authoritarian" is quite the right word. They seem to think Putin should have unlimited authority to do whatever he wants, up to and including starting wars and murdering anyone who disagrees with him. But Western governments shouldn't even be able to insist you get a vaccine. "Dumbass" is perhaps a better word.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

The use of such weapons against civilians is banned by the Geneva Conventions.

This is a really weird sentence. Which bombs are allowed to be used against civilians in the Geneva Conventions?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tomn posted:

For those of us who weren’t following the EE thread prior to the war, who is Igor Girkin and why is he writing from a Russian perspective while delivering news that I can’t imagine Putin would be at all happy to see spread?

He is arguably the premiere separatist war criminal, likely one of the people who directly shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Now I'm very much an amateur, but I'm not sure you need smokescreens for concealment at night.

Smoke will block IR light for night vision equipment, so yes it may be helpful.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kikas posted:

No loving way

I've seen a few videos from telegram the past week-ish purporting to show white phosphorus in Luhansk
some rehosts
earlier https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3428296-russian-war-criminals-use-phosphorous-munitions-in-popasna.html
most recent https://tpyxa.net/2022/03/23/white-phosphorus-munitions-kyiv-tonight-russia-continues-to-commit-war-crimes/
(yes it's NEXTA but it is a video from another source)
https://mobile.twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1506134221617774597
"Here is another Russian gift, the spade is burning, loving assholes!"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tomn posted:

He's a former official in the Donetsk Separatists who got pushed out, and provides a pro-Russian critique of the invasion.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zephro posted:

That drat gubmint can't tell me what to do! rah-rah muh freedoms!

But Putin should invade Ukraine and tell Ukrainians what to do at the point of a literal gun!

I don't think "authoritarian" is quite the right word. They seem to think Putin should have unlimited authority to do whatever he wants, up to and including starting wars and murdering anyone who disagrees with him. But Western governments shouldn't even be able to insist you get a vaccine. "Dumbass" is perhaps a better word.

We have perfectly useful words like "fascist" already

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

on a technical level, white phosphorous smoke is incredibly useful because it also blocks thermal imaging, aka night vision

on a legal level, there's so many loopholes around the use of white phosphorous that it simply isn't useful to point at how its use is banned in some circumstances but not others

this is clickbait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

It's awful, but not an escalation. Plenty of countries use white phosphorus or incendiary weapons.