Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting attempted travel of international political menace Paul Manafort
https://twitter.com/AlexandraChalup/status/1506510474870931456?s=20&t=-2reqshsxtbUCTnXJy0EEg
I bet his phone records are interesting. Also this reminded me he existed and I'm pissed about his pardon all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Grouchio posted:

If the Swiss truly want to throw off neutrality regarding Russia they should jail Nestle execs for crimes against humanity.
They're only interested in Crimes Against Wealth.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

He also likely ordered the kidnapping and torture of the guy who made this and other unflattering works of the DNR/LNR separatists.

Yeah, he’s believed to be responsible for quite a bit of kidnappings, torture, and assassinations in Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Saoshyant posted:

Reports that white phosphorus has allegedly been used in Hostomel and Irpin (no images/video):

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1506618035729276941

If true that is a serious escalation.

It's not. Both sides have used WP since 2014. It's a conventional weapon depending on how you use it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FishBulbia posted:

It's not. Both sides have used WP since 2014. It's a conventional weapon depending on how you use it.

It isn’t; or rather, it’s very grey. As someone posted earlier, it is absolutely illegal under the Geneva Protocols to use any incendiary weapon where civilians may be present.

The use of white phosphorous as a weapon is also illegal to use against combatants in situations civilians are not present (this is where it is grey) if another type of weapon that does not cause “undue suffering” is available.

It’s grey enough that both sides in a war like this might use it against one another, but the losing side should probably expect to be charged with war crimes at the conclusion of the war for having done so.

PS. The United States very specifically did not sign this addendum to the protocol and used white phosphorus shells like they were going out of style in Fallujah.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 23, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1506662763850092546?t=LlIahR4EWqTtWDEcfK41ZA&s=19
First time I've heard of this happening, doesn't mean it's the first time it's happened

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

PS. The United States very specifically did not sign this addendum to the protocol and used white phosphorus shells like they were going out of style in Fallujah.

Are you sure on that? My attempt to read
https://www.un.org/disarmament/the-convention-on-certain-conventional-weapons/high-contracting-parties-and-signatories-ccw/

seems to disagree.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1506662763850092546?t=LlIahR4EWqTtWDEcfK41ZA&s=19
First time I've heard of this happening, doesn't mean it's the first time it's happened

Maybe this is the start of that fabled counterattack. Why else would they do it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Maybe this is the start of that fabled counterattack. Why else would they do it?

Maybe they’re just tired of the journalists. (It’s probably what you’re saying, or then expecting a big Russian push.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting

by who? i assume the ukranians, but that's not made explicit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah, I assume it's to improve opsec prior to a counter attack. It's kinda interesting that they might have something up their sleeve that the Russian's won't be expecting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Who else would you suspect it to be?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

evilweasel posted:

Russia does not allow journalists period.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Ponomorenko joined in this morning tweeting about that.

https://www.twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1506594877999656963

He’s the most official source so far I’ve seen repeat this claim - yesterday it was just rumors among some non-credible accounts. Sounds like things are still in flux though and any envelopment is not fully secure yet. He also tweeted a claim that 80% of Irpin had been retaken.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Who else would you suspect it to be?

i could easily imagine russia being more explicit than usual about their intention to shoot journalists tomorrow, and figure it's good to ask rather than assume! how you interpret that statement depends a lot on who is saying "stay away"

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If the latest US arms package did arrive recently there's a small window before it all gets delivered to TDF and regular forces in passenger cars they can't track. Armchair general, but I'd imagine the Ukranian Forces expect a solid offensive before their ability to resist increases even further.

But that's speculation on top of speculation.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Doccers posted:

Russia does not allow journalists period.

This isn't true, RT has journalists reporting from Ukraine. They're probably the only ones allowed though I'd imagine

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Hirsute posted:

This isn't true, RT has journalists reporting from Ukraine. They're probably the only ones allowed though I'd imagine

Very simple, those aren't journalists.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i could easily imagine russia being more explicit than usual about their intention to shoot journalists tomorrow, and figure it's good to ask rather than assume! how you interpret that statement depends a lot on who is saying "stay away"

It would be very odd for an Ukrainian military journalist living in Kyiv to say that that “zones are closed” if it were Russian warning about something all of a sudden.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Good questions. They have a large headcount there, but it may be just chefs and such - though also some real bases, iirc. In any case, anti-Russian military attack by Belarus army is a rather out there thing.

I really don't know enough about internal Belarus politics to have an informed opinion but I agree that it seems rather out there for the Belarus army to coup Lukashenko and straight up attacking Russian forces. However I could imagine a scenario where Belarusian troops are finally ordered into Ukraine, mutiny, and large parts of at least the lower ranks become part of a popular uprising. In that case I imagine Russian troops in Belarus would be utilized to try and crush the rebellion. That is just baseless speculation though, based on random tweets about Belarus troops refusing to go to war.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ZombieLenin posted:

It’s grey enough that both sides in a war like this might use it against one another, but the losing side should probably expect to be charged with war crimes at the conclusion of the war for having done so.

What happens if Russia/Russians are charged with war crimes at the end? I can't imagine getting any individuals out of Russia is going to be possible, so just more things to in the stack of things to look at when considering reparations?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hirsute posted:

They've also allowed some Chinese journalists to join them at least once near Mariupol

evilweasel posted:

Sorry, I wasn't explicit - the journalist quoted is Ukranian, from the Donbas, and lives in Kyiv. He's been providing a lot of coverage from the frontlines for The Kyiv Independent, though a lot of the pictures in his articles range from :nws: to :nms: so read at your own risk.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KitConstantine posted:

Judging by the shambolic state of the propaganda for this war that the Russian state has been putting out they might not give a poo poo. Long but good thread about how Russia could turn around their war support propaganda operation - the poster translates Russian propaganda for a living, essentially
https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1506614138839179269?s=20&t=UelRrjebzLl_fzyTyKWtNg

Can't really comment on how widespread enthusiastic support of the war is among Russians, as sociology in Russia is, indeed, dead. But I can add an interesting point regarding grassroot rallies. Based on many small ultrapatriotic orgs complaining on telegram that they are not allowed to hold their own Z rallies, Russian government doesn't want to risk giving platform to grassroot supporters. They can get off-script, and also a lot of those active supporters are straight-up nazi-adjacent, and nobody in the Kremlin wants that public image for obvious reasons. Everything has to completely align with official messaging.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1506660525106778120

Ukrainians starting to brag about the success of their counter offensive.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Can't really comment on how widespread enthusiastic support of the war is among Russians, as sociology in Russia is, indeed, dead. But I can add an interesting point regarding grassroot rallies. Based on many small ultrapatriotic orgs complaining on telegram that they are not allowed to hold their own Z rallies, Russian government doesn't want to risk giving platform to grassroot supporters. They can get off-script, and also a lot of those active supporters are straight-up nazi-adjacent, and nobody in the Kremlin wants that public image for obvious reasons. Everything has to completely align with official messaging.

It's crazy that anyone is even trying to manage the image of this. It feels 20% of the people in charge are still desperately trying to do a good job with the poo poo they've been given when everyone else has realised that nothing matters.

What would happen if there were images of Nazis at the Z rallies in Russia? Those images would never appear in their censored media. Would those images have any impact in the west vs images of maternity hospitals being bombed? Not really!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

On west supposedly running out of weapons, as some were worried yesterday:

https://twitter.com/fridhkleberg/status/1506661639323541504

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Saoshyant posted:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1506468626483879938

How legit this is is anyone's guess, but as Lukashenko seems to have no intention of moving in with Belarus troops while continuing to promise it, it appears the Russian government is looking to replace him.

I can believe this sorta luka is playing with fire and settled on “Russia might be hosed, gonna wait it out plus my population will revolt if I invade.” If putin has him killed and puts some moron yes man in charge. I think Belarus turns against Russia hard and Russia has another quagmire.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Another batch of AT4's and also some mine clearing equipment, according to Swedish media. I don't think we have enough NLAW's to spare, sadly.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Seems like a really bad idea to depose Lukashenko when you're staging a huge chunk of your campaign from Belarus. Who knows how that would shake out.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I can believe this sorta luka is playing with fire and settled on “Russia might be hosed, gonna wait it out plus my population will revolt if I invade.” If putin has him killed and puts some moron yes man in charge. I think Belarus turns against Russia hard and Russia has another quagmire.

I have to wonder if the Poles are also threatening to gently caress him up if he invades Ukraine anywhere near their border.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not sure about others, but Latvia is blocking HTTP traffic explicitly.

Just tested, italy going to rt.com:
- work laptop using ISP DNS resolvers will get a 404 or italian police warning about illegal sites
- home desktop using cloudflare will grab the site without any issue

Edit: UN general assembly emergency meeting live stream
https://youtu.be/iYqvFU5S1u4

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 23, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

It's crazy that anyone is even trying to manage the image of this. It feels 20% of the people in charge are still desperately trying to do a good job with the poo poo they've been given when everyone else has realised that nothing matters.

What would happen if there were images of Nazis at the Z rallies in Russia? Those images would never appear in their censored media. Would those images have any impact in the west vs images of maternity hospitals being bombed? Not really!

Everyone knows people read other media, too. Even most fervent Putin's supporters are very pragmatic, and want to know when to buy sugar or dollars, so most people in Russia actually get their news from the internet, and now also use VPN.

With maternity wards and other things you can easily lie that it was the Ukrainian nazis who did it. When there are guys in the streets with red flags with white circles with one or another black logo in it (there's more than one group with such flags), it's a PR nightmare. That's why seemingly patriotic Russian Marches that nationalists organised on November 4 were banned and many organisers were either arrested or agreed to tone the nazi stuff down a bit.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 23, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Paladinus posted:

He's a People's Front guy. It's a conservative nationalist party that was very popular right after Maidan, but lost all support very soon after. They supported a military resolution to the Donbass crisis, but unlike other more radical nationalists supported NATO and EU membership for Ukraine.

Kotavitskyi himself was an MP most likely not out of any ideological allegiance to People's Front, but because he is extremely rich and wanted to be an MP. Before that he was a regional MP from a different party, too. And before that he was a Yushchenko supporter. And before that he was just a shady businessman with alleged connections to mafia (that he still allegedly maintains). It's not an uncommon practice across political spectrum, and there are plenty of oligarchs and even smaller business owners who essentially bought their mandate in the pro-Russian Opposition Platform, in Zelenskyi's Peoples' Servant, in Poroshenko's European Solidarity, etc. In the 2015 Rada Kotavitskyi was literally the richest MP based on the financial report he himself provided, but that only shows how shameless he was. Usually rich MPs prefer to keep their gold egg gifted to their mother-in-law and other distant relatives.

As to where he got all the money, it's very simple, natural gas production. Although later he tried to branch out into uranium mining.

Thanks, that's actually quite interesting especially the long and inconsistent history of political affiliations and positions. Bit shady.

Most likely just didn't want to pay taxes on all his cash as he fleed the country. But it seems likely some of that may be ill-gotten gains?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

vietnam suffered horrible civilian losses without widespread international support AND while the united states was on the tail end of a long period of global economic and cultural dominance. like while vietnam was fighting for independence, the country brutalizing them was also sending people to the literal moon

ukraine can continue to suffer loss for a long, long time, as long as putin is unwilling to admit the obvious fact of defeat. the element of surprise has been lost, the vanguard of the russian army has been hauled away for scrap, and russia has achieved none of their goals at the cost of severe humiliation and economic damage. russia can continue trading blows but if russia were capable of forcing ukraine into defeat, it would have done so by now

Vietnam was also fighting a civil war against itself, with the other, richer side having total American support including huge numbers of drafted troops, air superiority, and overall technological and material superiority. Although not popular support. The north did have support from the Russians, but mostly it was pure determination and belief, as well as knowledge of the land and the aforementioned popular support among the people where they were fighting.

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

:nice:

Kestral posted:

I've been wondering about the bolded part in particular over the last week or so. Not intending to call out Sodomy Hussein here, but I saw this post and it made me wonder if that's going to be the case, and I'd be interested in a discussion on it, since it seems to be a fairly widely held belief. My assumption has been that eventually we're going to see Russia reconnect with the rest of the world, with a progression something like (but almost certainly not exactly like):

1) The war drags on to the point where it loses its media sparkle: fewer dramatic events --> fewer clicks --> less coverage, less public interest --> fewer clicks --> less coverage, etc. Especially likely if it becomes an insurgency but huge lol at that, based on current events.

Snip

For folks who feel that Russia will remain a permanent or extremely long-term pariah state or Chinese vassal, I'd be curious to know why. Again not calling anyone out here, I'm just struggling to think of other cases where global resolve has held firm on... well, anything except the use of nuclear weapons, come to think of it. Lord knows Putin deserves to be the lord of crumbling, isolated ruin, but it seems like it's expecting a lot from people - politicians and the ultra-rich - who don't exactly have the courage of their convictions.

I actually agree with you that it's far from a foregone conclusion. Some posters also made good counter-arguments that were very plausible.

I think it will depend pretty much in full though on how and if this war ends anytime soon, what happens with Putin, and future domestic opinion in relevant countries. It's something exceedingly hard to predict with precision.

OAquinas posted:

Sounds like Putin is putting his US plans into action on Russia.

An overt Fascist state is probably a foregone conclusion.

A truly foregone conclusion because it's been that already for a long time. With the thinnest possible coat of paint

Play fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 23, 2022

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bra för fan!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Everyone knows people read other media, too. Even most fervent Putin's supporters are very pragmatic, and want to know when to buy sugar or dollars, so most people in Russia actually get their news from the internet, and now also use VPN.

With maternity wards and other things you can easily lie that it was the Ukrainian nazis who did it. When there are guys in the streets with red flags with white circles with one or another black logo in it (there's more than one group with such flags), it's a PR nightmare.

Is there that much overlap between people actively seeking western media via VPN and people who buy that all the coverage of Russian atrocities is a hoax?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is what I get when trying to access RT.com

New Jersey, via Verizon

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

For me also in NJ and on Verizon, it loads:

:byodood: guys, ASSANGE

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

This is what I get when trying to access RT.com

New Jersey, via Verizon

Their website is behind DDoS Guard, which is basically a Russian Cloudflare analogue. It's very likely that the mitigation gear is set to deny requests from non-RU or non-RU friendly country IPs due to being targeted quite a bit over the past few weeks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

Is there that much overlap between people actively seeking western media via VPN and people who buy that all the coverage of Russian atrocities is a hoax?

You'd be surprised. A lot of people really depended on Instagram for doing business, and many unofficial pro-Putin content creators were active on twitter and youtube. Now instead of migrating to VK and Yandex platforms, they simply use VPN not lose their audience. And so do most of their audience.

When VK and some other popular Russian social media got banned in Ukraine, things went smoother, because not many people depended on those platforms for business needs, and even then a huge chunk of people, even those who supported Maidan, still continued to use them with VPN, because that's where many of their favourite artists, relatives, friends, and communities were. It did almost completely wiped out all future new users, but the existing audience was maybe only halved.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Well Putin says a lot of stupid poo poo. There's no doubt this is what they tried to do and failed, but I'm wondering if the actual core objective wasn't always just capturing the border regions and land bridge (as everyone else expected them to). I mean otherwise it's just mind-bogglingly stupid, yeah :v:

Please stop groping about in the dark and read these official releases from the Russian government:

First, in Putin's own words, "On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians", posted on June 12nd 2021, in which Putin uses openly fascist language to claim that Ukraine (and Belarus) not being ruled from the Kremlin is a historical wrong and a crime. Note that this is the official translation by Kremlin.

Then, on RIA Novosti, an official Kremlin wire service, Наступление России и нового мира (translated: The Advance of Russia and the New World Order), on February 26 2022 at 8:00 AM, in which a Kremlin spokesperson adulates Putin for "solving the Ukrainian question for all time". This was pulled down very soon after being published, but not before a bunch of other Russian official outlets had also ran it. It reads like a victory speech, and if the leaked Russian offensive plans are correct, it was probably meant to go up on the morning after the capture of Kyiv.

If you don't want to do it, that's okay, I understand not wanting to read ~8000 words of fascist propaganda. But please do not doubt what their core objective was when first Putin himself publishes a fascist creed on how the Ukrainians are not a real people, they are just misguided Russians who yearn to return to the motherland, and then his toadie publishes a victory lap essay where he congratulates Putin for unifying Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Choice quotes:

Vladimir Putin posted:

I am confident that true sovereignty of Ukraine is possible only in partnership with Russia. Our spiritual, human and civilizational ties formed for centuries and have their origins in the same sources, they have been hardened by common trials, achievements and victories. Our kinship has been transmitted from generation to generation. It is in the hearts and the memory of people living in modern Russia and Ukraine, in the blood ties that unite millions of our families. Together we have always been and will be many times stronger and more successful. For we are one people.

Petr Akopov posted:

Russia is restoring its unity – the tragedy of 1991, this terrible catastrophe in our history, its unnatural dislocation, has been overcome. Yes, at a great cost, yes, through the tragic events of a virtual civil war, because now brothers, separated by belonging to the Russian and Ukrainian armies, are still shooting at each other, but there will be no more Ukraine as anti-Russia. Russia is restoring its historical fullness, gathering the Russian world, the Russian people together – in its entirety of Great Russians, Belarusians and Little Russians. If we had abandoned this, if we had allowed the temporary division to take hold for centuries, then we would not only betray the memory of our ancestors, but would also be cursed by our descendants for allowing the disintegration of the Russian land.