Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Eternal shame upon all who have doubted Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack is the best FF protagonist since they named a guy Butz

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's funny that all of the machismo is apparently part of the Stranger programming and Jack otherwise is just a normal chill dude

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

once you recognize the secret reason for Jack wanting to kill Chaos, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

is it love

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Nomura and Team Ninja managed to make a pretty drat good story out of this perceived joke game. Time to break out the Vita and replay FF1

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

jokes posted:

is it love

It’s a thirst. A need.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i trust and respect Jack

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Nomura and Team Ninja managed to make a pretty drat good story out of this perceived joke game. Time to break out the Vita and replay FF1

Yeah I was surprised. Almost...disappointed, even? I was sort of hoping it would shoot the moon and lean in to being funny but instead it was just sort of fine, with moments of occasionally being quite good

I was actually a little moved by Astos' whole "who am I?" scene after it got recontextualized with the reveals later on, I thought they did a good job with the VA and facial animations in particular there.

But then I also audibly guffawed at the Jack Garland reveal even though I knew it was coming so I guess it was at least still a little goofy. Then the part towards the end where you kill all your friends fell a little flat for me because I forgot to internalize any personalities or traits for any of the supporting characters besides "Jed's the annoying one" but maybe that's just on me, who can say.

Either way, I didn't have any expectations for the story at all, and the gameplay was way more fun than I was anticipating (I fully cackled the first time I cast ultima, boy that's a cool spell) so I'm real happy with how this game came out. I already want to start a new game but I really should play other things first

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No you're not wrong they definitely don't develop the other party members near well enough for land the part where you murder them effectively

Like the most development any of them get is from the notes about the Fiends

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So can I not change the jobs of my other dudes? I'm not very far along, just beat Bikke but I'm curious if they'll always be a pugilist and thief and swordfighter or whatever

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

one more map

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

So can I not change the jobs of my other dudes? I'm not very far along, just beat Bikke but I'm curious if they'll always be a pugilist and thief and swordfighter or whatever

You unlock more later, they have five each

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

jokes posted:

is it love

It’s literally love. Between two dudes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

400% affinity Dark Knight(Near Death effects are always active) with 250% Berserker(Protect and Shell active while near death) is just silly. Then just stack as much near death: damage as you can, throw on Blood Weapon and whatever other buffs you want and you are good to go.

Bonus if you are actually using the Dark Knight job while doing this: you have a passive the removes the cost of Soul Eater while you are near death so you can turn it on and leave it on for free. Just make sure to keep recasting Blood Weapon or you will kill yourself pretty quickly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm still doing my FF7 playthrough off and on with my job assignments (different from the ones RK came up with for his event), and man chocobo racing takes the hardest hit on the emulation. On the short course, the moogle paddling the canoe over the falls doesn't show up 90% of the time, and on the long course not only do the ice platforms just disappear instead of falling like they did in the original, the rushing water sound from the waterfall in front of the ocean area persists throughout the entire race once you pass under it, even through the victory music. Also, sometimes for no real reason the race will run in like fast forward, going about two times faster than it's supposed to, which is actually pretty nice since it means you can finish the long course in about twenty seconds.

The other thing that stands out to me is how summon materia works kind of sucks. I guess it doesn't matter during a normal playthrough, since usually they're mixed around and you're not completely relying on them, but the whole "number of summons = materia level" thing means you don't even get to summon things multiple times until fairly late in the game. On the plus side, summon materia are nice for not lowering strength but still boosting magic, meaning a summoner is actually pretty strong physically as well as magically.

Also it seems like no weapons boost magic, only physical attack, so for magic jobs you're honestly more interested in how many slots a weapon has rather than what it does for your attack. So Cloud has been using Organics more or less the entire late game since it has more slots (and growth) than his other options.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I'm a few hours into FF V PR after never playing it ever and holy hell it's really fun and cool! I've played IV and VI to death so this is a nice change of pace.

I do have a couple questions though... I just got the next set of jobs after the water tower event. I'm not sure I really understand the job system totally. I have Knight, Thief, Black and White mage currently. They each have about three levels in their job. If I keep them at their current jobs will they just get to be pretty OP at those things? And like if I change the Black Mage out for a summoner, he'll be a decent mage and a decent summoner? It's just job system RPG 101 right? This is how it works in most games right? I just want to make sure there isn't some weird quirks in FF V that would gently caress things up down the road. But from hearing about all the four job fiestas, I'm guessing you can just kinda go nuts and do whatever you want eh?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SoP postgame is silly, but a lot of fun in co-op. Now if only there was some transmog so I can make something resembling a matching outfit easily.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SettingSun posted:

SoP postgame is silly, but a lot of fun in co-op. Now if only there was some transmog so I can make something resembling a matching outfit easily.

This was gonna be my one question and welp sequel you know what you need

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If the materia system were to be reused outside FF7 I think there's a number of ways to improve it:
  • You sold or never picked a one-time materia? You can buy it at a lost-and-found shop.
  • Less redundancy. No "All" materia or limited summons.
  • Nothing as broken as Enemy Skill, because there was so much utility packed into the one slot.
  • Allow only one copy ever of poo poo like Enemy Skill or Kotor.
  • Don't lock out cool abilities on level-up, like Flash replacing Slash.
  • Some kind of in-game compendium that tracks what you've found, what you've leveled, and hints at what you've yet to find.
  • Attaching a support materia to something immediately gives you feedback if you get a support effect.
  • No lame poo poo like steal-as-well.
  • Make leveling x10 times faster.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm a few hours into FF V PR after never playing it ever and holy hell it's really fun and cool! I've played IV and VI to death so this is a nice change of pace.

I do have a couple questions though... I just got the next set of jobs after the water tower event. I'm not sure I really understand the job system totally. I have Knight, Thief, Black and White mage currently. They each have about three levels in their job. If I keep them at their current jobs will they just get to be pretty OP at those things? And like if I change the Black Mage out for a summoner, he'll be a decent mage and a decent summoner? It's just job system RPG 101 right? This is how it works in most games right? I just want to make sure there isn't some weird quirks in FF V that would gently caress things up down the road. But from hearing about all the four job fiestas, I'm guessing you can just kinda go nuts and do whatever you want eh?

Gaining levels in a mage job allows you access to higher level spells if you equip that job skill while in another job. However, if you're in a mage job (as in, you are a Black Mage, for example) you will have access to all of the Black Magic spells that you own regardless of your level. Say you have Firaga - your level 1 Black Mage will be able to cast it. However, if you then change to White Mage and equip Black Magic as a secondary skill, you will only have access to first level Black Magic spells. There is no downside to leveling up one job over another unless you've mastered the job and then you're not gaining JP (or AP or whatever it is), but it takes a long time to master any job.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, be warned while there are dozens of ways to smash FFV over you knee the game has surprisingly mean and tough bosses so just playing regularly you may hit problem bosses. Don't hesitate to look things up or when you get samurai just throw money at your problems.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, if you master a job, the Freelancer can use all of its innate abilities, like Counter and Dual Wield, automatically.

I just finished the Opera in FF6PR. During the esper defense battle, I wound up with that new bug where you select a command for one character and then another character uses it. In this case, it was Celes using one of Gau's rages, so I wound up fighting Kefka with two Stray Cats.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm doing Battle Square stuff and I'm probably going to have to temporarily break my job assignments for it, because there's no way Cloud will be able to get the Final Attack materia as a White Mage. No offensive magic and low-ish strength (I mean it's Cloud so it's still pretty high) isn't really going to cut it. Plus getting a no green materia handicap is rough since it means he has no other options but to attack. I know this can happen even if you're not restricting materia (there is an all materia broken handicap after all) but not having E Skill or summons/commands to fall back on makes it way too difficult to get through everything.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Keromaru5 posted:

Also, if you master a job, the Freelancer can use all of its innate abilities, like Counter and Dual Wield, automatically.

Iirc this includes the best combination of stats your mastered classes have, so for example if you master Monk and summoner on a character they'll have really high strength and magic as a freelancer

Also many action abilities and all of the equip ___ traits come with stat boosts, it's usually either fairly useless or has built in synergy (!Black has boosts to magic stats for example) most of the time but sometimes can be helpful. If I wanted to quickly get a hybrid sword user like red mage/blue mage/mystic knight to be able to put up melee damage I'd sometimes have them get monk's unarmed fighting trait unlocked and then just use it in conjunction with a sword. Equipping a high level of !Black or !Summon on a Ninja to pump up their magic scrolls is also a good trick

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's also not always obvious what stat boosts an ability will give. Most people wouldn't think that Equip Harp would boost agility and magic, but it does, and so some Fiesta runs see people throw it onto Berserker to compensate for its low agility or if they don't have a better magic boosting ability for Rune Axe.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If the materia system were to be reused outside FF7 I think there's a number of ways to improve it:
  • You sold or never picked a one-time materia? You can buy it at a lost-and-found shop.
  • Nothing as broken as Enemy Skill, because there was so much utility packed into the one slot.
  • Don't lock out cool abilities on level-up, like Flash replacing Slash.
  • Some kind of in-game compendium that tracks what you've found, what you've leveled, and hints at what you've yet to find.
  • Attaching a support materia to something immediately gives you feedback if you get a support effect.

The amount of grinding you have to do to copy any of those materias is mind numbing and wouldn't apply to 90 percent of players so why take it out?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

These all suck.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah if you want the game to be like that you are free to impose those restrictions on your own playthrough

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think not having All or limiting summons is actually a good change, since it's pretty arbitrary and they aren't limited in other FF games.

The rest of those changes would suck though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being able to replace missed materia would be good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every game with missable items should have the auction house from Lost Odyssey or similar mechanic

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
If anything, All should work with more materia. Steal All, please. Also, make equipment with 3, 4, or more linked Materia on it. Just make the Materia synergies really silly.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

edited: poo poo, no, make all better

let us do stuff like deathblow-all or steal-all or something.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
also Attack and Item should be Materia too. No freebie commands. What is Mug if not Attack + Steal As Well

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Trampoline posted:

also Attack and Item should be Materia too. No freebie commands. What is Mug if not Attack + Steal As Well

Honestly that would probably make for some fun builds

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just finished SoP and I feel like everyone who thinks there wasn't a romance between jack and sarah played a different game than me lol

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I'm playing the chaos game on pc and really enjoying it but almost every single cutscene/story section tanks the fps and looks like it was rendered in a diff game engine than the gameplay bits - like the lighting and shadows completely change and audio will desync from the video if it goes on for a while

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pyrus Malus posted:

I'm playing the chaos game on pc and really enjoying it but almost every single cutscene/story section tanks the fps and looks like it was rendered in a diff game engine than the gameplay bits - like the lighting and shadows completely change and audio will desync from the video if it goes on for a while

jack is very demanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So I popped the trophy for besting the gameon CHAOS difficulty by...doing a sidequest on action difficulty.

Like I didn't even start on chaos and lower it mid mission.

I guess I did turn on chaos to see what I could even do and I ended up "playing" a level that was just watching a cutscene but otherwise...lol.