Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I almost missed the milestone!

https://i.imgur.com/TDgDL64.mp4

(has sound)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The bosses have spoken.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

(has sound)

is the fat bald guy the penny arcade guy

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Schrodinger's Thomas.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Shear Modulus posted:

Mods??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????8?@?@?@:?:???6??_/<=<÷77

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

Nate Silver says only leftists want to prevent a million people from dying of covid, and that means the leftists are wrong.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1506644243296706564

wait i thought they were saying that they didn't actually win because service workers were still calling out sick

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

*running into the room, desperately out of breath* he's with jod now!

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Grey Fox posted:

that matty thread gets worse if you keep going https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1506605482101854221 everyone should listen 👏 to 👏 the 👏 experts 👏 who have sensible views I agree with

"the next pandemic" just means "COVID as soon as trump is back in office"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

you're going to have to be more specific

but no

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

mild :toot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

inferis posted:

seatbelts work. let me drive drunk, 95% of the time i get home completely safe

It’s way, way more than ninety‐five percent of the time.

There is on average one fatality for every two million miles driven drunk—which is horrific, forty times worse than sober driving—but there’s no way that drunk driving laws could be passed today.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

well here’s something not completely awful

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1506825804243689477?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Parosmia will keep Austin smelling weird.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s a debate?

I guess OOCC found something else to do with his time.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Now do everyone else because we are all immunocompromised

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I was just thinking that the only thing really keeping the economy afloat right now is all this covid stimulus that's coming to an end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zugzwang posted:

:theroni:

Sweden’s population is about 10 million, so yeah, 50 deaths a day is in the ballpark of 1500 in the US.

It's pretty funny how Swedens covid death rate is like 10x Finland and Norway and they're still held up as a "success"

Edit ok it isn't that bad but still way worse than the neighbors. Sweden at 174 per capita, Finland 50, Norway 40. For comparison Australia at 20 and Japan at 19. Sweden had more per capita deaths in the first wave of 2020 than any of those countries have had total, almost 2 years later.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 24, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lacrosse posted:

I was just thinking that the only thing really keeping the economy afloat right now is all this covid stimulus that's coming to an end

we’re there https://slate.com/podcasts/what-next/2022/03/at-this-stage-in-the-pandemic-federal-funding-is-key-for-a-return-to-normalcy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you're on a plane, people already rip their loving masks off to sit and drink and eat anyway. They may as well drop it. Everyone is already maskless everywhere.

Horrified condolences on our 1M mark, though I'm a touch late.

*still masking every second I'm in public, especially since I get to have shots every 3 loving months I guess. n-95s forever!!!!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Nocturtle posted:

Traditional Chinese Medicine equally effective as western medicine wrt treating COVID. Mao was right.

Aren't we pretty much without helpful treatment options once people are bad enough to be in the ICU? At which point, placebo effect is your only shot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raiad posted:

so how are liberals supposed to make anyone vote for them ever again

their entire (supposed) thing is that "needless suffering should be avoided," but we collectively just redefined the amount of suffering that is needed to include basically all of it

Liberals: “We’re very concerned that #lackofaccess to healthcare causes 44,789 excess deaths annually.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I want this cake, but, like ironically.

gently caress you, blue surgical masks and your smug little earloops.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Absolutely deranged

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

enviable what a competent government can do

https://www.bjreview.com/Opinion/Editorial/202203/t20220318_800280003.html posted:

A solution in line with China's reality
Editorial · 2022-03-18 · Source: NO.12 MARCH 24, 2022

Recent clusters of confirmed COVID-19 cases across China are posing a challenge to the country's fight against the virus. China, however, has no intention of changing its current policy to clear infections in timely and methodical manner.

The dynamic zero-COVID-19 policy does not denote zero infection. With the overarching goal of preventing imported infections and domestic flare-ups, this policy means that when a new local outbreak occurs, measures will be taken to promptly stem the spread of the virus and clear new infections. The gist is to cut off the spread of new infections as soon as possible, instead of risking the virus spinning out of control.

The essential reason for China to adopt this policy is that the Chinese Government prioritizes the safety and health of its people. A country with a huge, and dense, population, China still features inadequate per-capita medical resources, especially in the vast rural areas. Such national conditions determine that if the virus cannot be controlled at the very earliest, it will continue to spread nonstop. Not only will medical resources be overwhelmed, but infection, severe case and fatality rates, too, will soar. The dynamic zero-COVID-19 policy is a solution most in line with China's actual conditions to address all these potential problems.

This is a low-cost epidemic prevention and control measure, with restrictions imposed only on the community or building involved in a positive case. This way, the social cost remains low and the country can better balance COVID-19 prevention and control with economic growth. A major manufacturing power, China assumes responsibility for sustaining the global supply chain. The dynamic zero-COVID-19 policy factually enables China to continue energetic growth against the pandemic backdrop.

Entering the third year of the pandemic, some countries are starting to relax containment measures as time has dragged on and vaccination rates have boosted confidence.

Under the current circumstances, China must still balance its economic and social development while upholding COVID-19 prevention and control policies. The timing of lifting these measures requires an all-comprising evaluation of virus variation, spread and toxicity. Any policy adjustments should occur cautiously, not hastily.

(Print Edition Title: Dynamic Zero)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I went and looked at our hospitals locally here in Augusta, GA and we're on diversion again at two hospitals of three. Definitely time to go run around maskless at a movie theater and huff some clean indoor air. woohoo.

Who has the most shots in here? Because I get to sign up for #5 here shortly. Should I get a punch card? Get 10 of these loving things and I get a free take-out ice cream or some poo poo?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DarkEuphoria posted:

Absolutely deranged

Jimmie Åkesson dreams of no masks (and the Nazis).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

McCracAttack posted:

The bosses have spoken.

Summon the Elector Counts!

Isn't a director on a board of directors, aka someone with a lot of stock, an elector count?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I went and looked at our hospitals locally here in Augusta, GA and we're on diversion again at two hospitals of three. Definitely time to go run around maskless at a movie theater and huff some clean indoor air. woohoo.

Who has the most shots in here? Because I get to sign up for #5 here shortly. Should I get a punch card? Get 10 of these loving things and I get a free take-out ice cream or some poo poo?

Did you not get a punch card? I definitely got a card.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

(has sound)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This number is impossible.

Probed for being a calamity howler.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
but really, the guy who invented a thing almost everybody uses every day just died of this disease and most people are like

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

but really, the guy who invented a thing almost everybody uses every day just died of this disease and most people are like

personally i can't say i use my bat out of hell cd every day

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

We've determined that the price of human life is less than not having to wear a mask so it's no big deal that dude died.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

There's no reason to do this! There's literally no reason to not require masks on flights!

Holy poo poo it's the the lowest effort location imaginable to keep a mask mandate in place

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

There's no reason to do this! There's literally no reason to not require masks on flights!

Holy poo poo it's the the lowest effort location imaginable to keep a mask mandate in place

lol where do you think we are

open

biden

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1506836322643808256?s=21

it's happening again

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paradoxish posted:

Counterpoint: ten very wealthy people say that it makes their money sad.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

McCracAttack posted:

The bosses have spoken.
Maybe I’ll be able to wear my SecureClick if I’m ever forced to fly for any reason. Hopefully they don’t decide to ban those just yet!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

I’m not a Kamela Stan but I don’t think it’s an own that someone was nervous of Operation Warp speed while it was happening because lol at anything working under trump and not being a huge unsafe grift. Everybody in the 2020 COVID thread was nervous about it too.

Joe and Kamala went being being nervous.

They actively stoked anti‐vaccine sentiment for political gain.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Maybe I’ll be able to wear my SecureClick if I’m ever forced to fly for any reason. Hopefully they don’t decide to ban those just yet!

nah, those will never be allowed.

too scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

But where are the deeeeaaaaatthhhhhsssssss