Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StumblyWumbly posted:

Absolutely bonkers that the idea of US bioweapons research in Ukraine, or anywhere outside the US, has taken off. Why would we ever outsource that?

do you think that "bioweapons research" exclusively means "researching how to create bioweapons"? there were unsecured biological weapons kicking around the former soviet union after 1991. being able to detect an uncontrolled release of bioweapons is a good thing, and these biological research labs (which is what they are, not exclusively bioweapons) are useful for being an early monitoring system for all kinds of pathogens. this means covid-19 testing and detection as well, which would be easy to spin into "covid is a biologically engineered weapon????" for the credulous. one can also imagine the utility of a laboratory which can determine pathogens hitting non-human animal or even plant species in a country whose economic base is heavily agricultural

again, here's a press release from the pentagon about what the program was doing. if russia wants to claim that the united states was using ukraine as a testing facility for biological weapons then russia needs to explain why they accepted money for the exact same purpose more than a decade ago. what actors within the russian government are colluding with the west against the russian people? how deep is this rabbit hole??????

https://media.defense.gov/2022/Mar/...-IN-UKRAINE.PDF

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Warbadger posted:

You can just claim COVID is a bioweapon ala idiot conspiracy theory #3586587669784 and that's pretty much it - pick a country and they have nefarious BIOWEAPON RESEARCH LABS. And probably some US funding assistance for their research.

But as I recall the US funding in this case that conspiracy wonks were going on about on the internet was from over a decade ago and wasn't related to research labs - that was funding for Ukraine to destroy stocks of old Soviet weapons because Ukraine couldn't afford to spend a bunch of money to properly dispose of them.

I believe there was also US funding to monitor and develop mitigation/treatments for African Swine Fever, which fairly recently became established in feral boar populations in Ukraine. The fear is that an adversary could intentionally infect US pork farms, and at a 40-50% fatality rate that could potentially endanger US food supply.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rob Rockley posted:

As other posters have just mentioned it is an extremely convenient issue to try and wedge people apart in the US since that message resonates with useful idiots, and Russian internal propaganda can be similarly shameless. But I remember there was some guy in one of the Qanon threads here last year who kept conspiracy-posting that Qanon was a giant op run by some state entity. He got told to log off, but now I can't help but wonder how much of Qanon might have been generated or at least deliberately signal-boosted for exactly this reason.

its way more efficient to take bizarre internet claims that already have an audience and then magnify those claims. think of random lunatics on the internet as a farm league for psyops, let them determine who the most promising idiots are and then uplift those idiots for a brighter stage. you don't even have to coordinate anything, there's always going to be a low level churn of dipshit ideas on the internet - all you need to do is see which ideas catch on then run with them

this is why its easy to interpret qanon as being planned because you can trace the lineage of ideas back to some obscure source. it doesn't mean the obscure source was a plant, it just means this is all easy to research from your posting station whether you're trying to amplify or rebut the lunacy

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Machine translation:
Unknown people planted a pig's head in a wig at the door of the apartment of Alexei Venediktov, ex-editor-in-chief of the Ekho Moskvy radio station. A sticker with the coat of arms of Ukraine and an anti-Semitic insult was pasted on the door itself.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ryde posted:

Tucker claimed that the Pentagon has biolabs in Ukraine and lied about it. Is that actually accurate or is it QAnon level poo poo? Are there biolabs and are they for bioweapons?

Besides all the debunking others have done, it's not QAnon level poo poo because it's actual QAnon poo poo that Russia is signal boosting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/qanon-ukraine-biolabs-russian-propaganda-efforts-boosted-us-far-right-rcna19392 posted:

The “biolabs” conspiracy theories were almost unheard of until the day of Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.

Pyrra Technologies, a cybersecurity and threat intelligence company, said the first mention of biolabs came on the far-right social network Gab on Feb. 14, 10 days before the invasion. The user included an awkwardly worded graphic, titled “Exclusive US biolabs in Ukraine, and they are financed at the expense of the US Department of Defense.”

The post largely sat idle for days. Welton Chang, the CEO of Pyrra, said posts about biolabs on the top 15 far-right social networks numbered in the single digits in the days before Russia’s invasion. But on Feb. 24, the day Russia began its invasion, the number of posts about biolabs on English-language far-right websites skyrocketed into the hundreds and only grew in the days after.

Boosted by far-right influencers on the day of the invasion, an anonymous QAnon Twitter account titled @WarClandestine pushed the “biolabs” theory to new heights, using the same “US biolabs” graphic initially included on the Gab post that went largely unshared the week before.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 24, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Captain Kosmos posted:

:nms: Russian soldiers walking around and shooting thermobarbarian rpg https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1506769216057364487?s=20&t=g2c_lnyU_sKgZrf3GTzFdw also blurry coprse. :nms:
edit: looks like a blurry corpse also.
A month in and they still don't move tactically. Strolling down the street, walking side by side, everyone looking to the front, etc.

The thing about tactical movement is that you don't just do it when you think you'll make contact. You do it all the time in training so that it's a habit. You want people comfortable with walking in one direction and scanning in another. You want it to be second nature that if a column stops, you take a knee next to some cover. Doing those things dramatically reduces your casualties in the first seconds of contact, which is when most casualties occur, particularly when moving to contact.

I'm really starting to wonder if not only are the Russian KIA counts published by :ukraine: accurate, but are the UA casualties significantly lower even among the TDBs.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth mentioning too: Almost the only difference between a normal health or bioresearch lab and a weapons one is goals in the research, it can be very fuzzy line, but the idea that these were purely for weapons research rather than maybe health effects from weaponized strains is laughable.

Colin Powell wouldn't have laughed at it :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the white hand posted:

Colin Powell wouldn't have laughed at it :colbert:

Colin been sniffing through my Yellow Cake collection again, I told him that was for "personal use"!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

I've said for a long time Russia literally steals ideas from the Internet for its propaganda, the difference is now a lot more people are paying attention and realising they're not the great propagandists we've been led to believe they are.

You might be misjudging the sheer diversity of Russian propaganda and how effective it makes said propaganda.

Official statements is the lowest level of propaganda, aimed at people who only watch news on TV. Soloviev, Skobeeva, etc., who add the thinnest veneer of analysis and discourse, and even allow token dissent and criticism of the official line, are mid level, aimed at people who consider themselves politically savvy but still mainly get their political content from TV in the form of entertaining shouting matches. And then there are myriads of telegram channels, alternative media, etc., who may completely deconstruct the official propaganda without undermining the underlying message. Sure, it's all lies, they say, but we're just doing what America's been doing all this time, so there's nothing to be ashamed of, as long as we're doing something for the good of the country. And they come in all political flavours, too. Those high level propagandists have a huge combined audience, which is basically a good half of all Russians who can see through the TV propaganda.

It bears repeating, Russian sociology is in a precarious state, but even Levada's polls indicate that despite the trend of shrinking TV audience and middling support of Putin, the so-called special military operation has a bigger core support than Putin or TV propaganda by themselves. You really need to take Russia's strange media landscape into account when analysing their propaganda.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Kraftwerk posted:

Tsar Nicholas II was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution in 1917 and while the causes of said revolution date back to the mid 1800s some of the trigger points were reactions to the terrible performance of the Russian military and the casualties they've taken. Women rose up in protest over losing all the men they had and authorities were reluctant to crack down on them. It wasn't the only thing that happened but their participation inspired a lot of other groups (some of who were heavily armed) to demand an abdication which the Tsar eventually signed.

Russia losing wars has always, historically speaking, been very bad for the stability of the country. We all know about the abdication of the Tsar in 1917, but Tsar Nicholas II was nearly deposed a decade earlier after the debacle that was the Russo-Japanese war.

fnox
May 19, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Machine translation:
Unknown people planted a pig's head in a wig at the door of the apartment of Alexei Venediktov, ex-editor-in-chief of the Ekho Moskvy radio station. A sticker with the coat of arms of Ukraine and an anti-Semitic insult was pasted on the door itself.

Wait so, in Russia?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fnox posted:

Wait so, in Russia?

Like the GOP, lots of projection going on from Russia.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

fnox posted:

Wait so, in Russia?

Yes.

Edit: Obviously, it was the Ukrainian nazis. Who else?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

And they helpfully wrote the slur in non-Cyrillic characters?

Hmm....

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
https://twitter.com/joshnbcnews/status/1507048880726319107?s=21

About loving time; and yes this language is a very useful deterrent to Putin. It creates the type of uncertainty that prevents states from using weapons of mass destruction.

Prior to this the Biden line of “we will only respond with more sanctions no matter what Putin does” served as a green light to Putin to do whatever if he got desperate enough.

Edit.

No this statement will not cause World War III, any more than Putin’s nuclear saber rattling causes World War III.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pookah posted:

Hmm....

German is not usually written in Cyrillic.
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1507039681212563460?cxt=HHwWiIC-0d-miuopAAAA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

About loving time; and yes this language is a very useful deterrent to Putin. It creates the type of uncertainty that prevents states from using weapons of mass destruction.

Prior to this the Biden line of “we will only respond with more sanctions no matter what Putin does” served as a green light to Putin to do whatever if he got desperate enough.

Yeah but its about the same as Obama's "Red Line" talk over Syria, that whole "Nature of Response" is doing a lot of lifting.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Machine translation:

For context, Venedictov was the chief editor at now banned Echo of Moscow, an opposition radio station partly sponsored by Gazprom. Echo was notable in that unlike most of other liberal opposition media, they had a lot of guests on from all over political spectrum, both pro- and anti-Putin. As a result, Venedictov himself is a controversial figure among Russian liberal opposition. Apart from the obvious Gazprom connection, he still has personal friends in Putin's cabinet, his journalists always enjoyed more facetime with Peskov, etc. Venedictov even promoted online voting on previous Duma elections that, uh, garnered some criticism. However, throughout the years, Echo was not only criticised by the opposition, but also many of its journalists and hosts received threats and were even attacked by various Russian right wing groups, often with a similar anti-Semitic tone. After Echo's ban, Venedictov continues to produce content with some of his Echo comrades on youtube, but it's very clear that whatever good the Kremlin saw in maintaining a token opposition radio station is no longer there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah but its about the same as Obama's "Red Line" talk over Syria, that whole "Nature of Response" is doing a lot of lifting.
The advantage of the ambiguity I assume is that if some major somewhere fires tear gas into a crowd and chokes a couple of Ukrainians this does not create a rhetorical obligation to escalate.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

The advantage of the ambiguity I assume is that if some major somewhere fires tear gas into a crowd and chokes a couple of Ukrainians this does not create a rhetorical obligation to escalate.

The disadvantage is that it may be read as "you can gas some kids with chlorine, as a treat", given, well, Obama in Syria.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OddObserver posted:

The disadvantage is that it may be read as "you can gas some kids with chlorine, as a treat", given, well, Obama in Syria.
Poland wasn't standing there salivating to send MiGs into Syria at least :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

Colin been sniffing through my Yellow Cake collection again, I told him that was for "personal use"!

I mean if you’re pissing on his grave eventually it will trickle down and he will get some.

ZombieLenin posted:

Edit.

No this statement will not cause World War III, any more than Putin’s nuclear saber rattling causes World War III.
Good. Also https://mobile.twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1507050321050226688.

CommieGIR posted:

Possibly but being 100% real, I trust Biden way way more with foreign policy then Obama. Least with poo poo on this level.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

Yeah I imagine if this happened or some separatists started chucking barrels of chlorine gas from a trebuchet it wouldn't start a Nena song.

EDIT: A bigger question is why my brain thought it was a Nina Hagen song for a hot minute.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah I imagine if this happened or some separatists started chucking barrels of chlorine gas from a trebuchet it wouldn't start a Nena song.

A bigger question is why my brain thought it was a Nina Hagen song for a hot minute.

99 Benzinkanister doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pookah posted:

Hmm....

Well it's in German ("Jew pig"), which is written in Latin alphabet.

Clearly this means it was a Bundesnachrichtendienst false flag operation.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Pookah posted:

Hmm....

I'm not sure you can write German in Cyrillic characters.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alchenar posted:

If you think about it for a moment it should be fairly obvious what the vested interest the Pentagon has in knowing what diseases you can get if you spend a bunch of time camping in the outdoors all over the world and how to treat/prevent them.

I don't know anything about that, but I do know we do a lot of environmentally destructive "training" in other countries because they don't have the same restrictions and environmental protections the US has.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Xombie posted:

You can, it's really screwy/trippy read if you understand both. And it was a dumb plot point in some WWII novel I read as a kid.

Унзуфриеден, фаул унд фетт.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If Germany didn't already have near 100% literacy in 45 GDR would probably be writing like that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Xombie posted:

Is it impossible to translate an antisemitic slur into Russian?
I would have thought that if you wanted to be anti semitic as a Ukrainian in Russia you'd do it in a way most accessible to Russians. Not in a way so conveniently transmissible to foreign audiences.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pookah posted:

I would have thought that if you wanted to be anti semitic as a Ukrainian in Russia you'd do it in a way most accessible to Russians. Not in a way so conveniently transmissible to foreign audiences.

To be clear you are accusing a jewish man of false flagging himself by leaving a pigs head in front of his apartment door and putting a slur on it in order to accomplish...what, exactly?

He posted it to telegram himself you see.

Edit: And he lives in Russia.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 24, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pookah posted:

You seem to be completely missing the point. The accusation is that he’s a Nazi sympathiser, and so a German slur was used.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In other news Russia is firing more Kalibrs from Sevastopol
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1507086952054538244?s=20&t=IKA2Dor_eqQNNjPmJLiaBA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pookah posted:

I don't think it's supposed to be read as Ukrainian nazis attacking him. The Ukrainian trident, seems to me, is supposed to condemn Venedictov's supposed sympathy to Ukraine and anti-Russian tendencies.

Despite his controversial status I described in my previous post, Venedictov is openly against the war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I don't think it's supposed to be read as Ukrainian nazis attacking him. The Ukrainian trident, seems to me, is supposed to condemn Venedictov's supposed sympathy to Ukraine and anti-Russian tendencies.
Yeah this is very clearly to say he's a Ukrainian Jew Nazi no-good poo poo who doesn't back the Z and should watch his rear end.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It was this conversation:

What is grover and what is his war

Xombie posted:

Both German and Russian are written phonetically or whatever it’s called where how it’s written is exactly how it’s pronounced, so you could very much transliterate German words into Cyrillic.

Besides, if you haven’t noticed a lot of the Russian words you are reading about itt have been written in the Latin alphabet.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 24, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Boris Galerkin posted:

grover made some very prescient predictions about the war in Iraq but is most famous for his haus

groverhaus : houses :: Russia's invasion : other historical large military actions

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Goon who made this infamous list of predictions during the '03 invasion of Iraq:

quote:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Paladinus posted:

Despite his controversial status I described in my previous post, Venedictov is openly against the war.

Yep, I'm pretty sure the original idea was to mark him sort of yellow Star of David style with "Jude" written in it, but the perpetrator felt that its not strong enough so doubled down and used "Judensau" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Goon who made this infamous list of predictions during the '03 invasion of Iraq:

And this is a Twitter thread about his other claim to notoriety, his haus:

https://twitter.com/boldlybuilding2/status/1197999531671130112?lang=en