Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

So…

They actually believe their own propaganda about the "gender extremists" and Harry Potter and whatnot, don't they? I always assumed they didn't, but I'm getting more and more convinced that they really do believe the exact poo poo they've been pushing abroad.

I think, at least from what I've seen, is that Putin has been inside his echo chamber for so long, surrounded by his hand picked yes men, that he is basically projecting everything about himself at this point. Its no wonder he's an alt-right darling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antigravitas posted:

So…

They actually believe their own propaganda about the "gender extremists" and Harry Potter and whatnot, don't they? I always assumed they didn't, but I'm getting more and more convinced that they really do believe the exact poo poo they've been pushing abroad.

yeah, they always have, its just they also believe their own insane poo poo. the right has gone loving insane in the last few decades, like even more then usual.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

So…

Just because this senile boomer wears suits that fit doesn't mean he is any brighter than Trump

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/StuartKLau/status/1506989193850933250

On that note:

https://twitter.com/dikaioslin/status/1507227307886272517

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe it's an inept attempt to bond with Poland over burning Harry Potter books. :v:

Maybe I'm out of the loop but what's wrong with Harry Potter *from their perspective*? Wasn't it written by a known transphobe or whatever? Why would they take offense to it, wizards and poo poo?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

purely out of curiosity, are there any movies focusing on the western front made by the russian film industry? i know some of the russian ww2 films get pretty loving bonkers and i'd like to see something just utterly gonzo like this that isn't some low budget indie thing or a weird vanity project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyxhuzPgJI

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
mistake... lease delete

Luitpold fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 25, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe it's an inept attempt to bond with Poland over burning Harry Potter books. :v:

Hey, that dude also burned "Twilight".
For more context about 3 years ago some priest has put a call to his parish to bring all the things from their homes that give out bad influence, meaning other superstitions, new age crystals, horoscopes etc. So people grabbed some stuff, probably from their kids, and then they put it in a pile and burned them. There were also some Osho books, Hello Kitty umbrella, African style wooden mask, and a bunch of other random stuff.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously that sucks. But given its distance from LNR/DNR it was, of course, likely to be a focus of the Russian offensive.

But that doesn't really make it a good objective, nor does it actually help the Russian offensive at all. The fact that Russian is willing to waste so much time and resources to siege it is an amazing tactical blunder. The Ukrainians, on the other hand, are pushing south at Kherson, which is a key crossroads to Crimea and very close to Russian logistical lines. That's a real strategic city.

If nothing else, the week or two after Mariupol falls are going to be tense while we wait for the freed Russian formations to make their appearance elsewhere, and to see whether they’re capable of making much impact. The eastern front seems precarious enough as it is.

I kind of wonder if the Ukrainian strategy is to, not necessarily destroy, but just logistically hobble the units around Kyiv to the point that corresponding Ukrainian forces can be redeployed to stabilize the east.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Putin: And why would Voldemort make Harry Potter his horcrux and not just some random grain of sand??? It makes no sense!!!

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

no, sorry...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

purely out of curiosity, are there any movies focusing on the western front made by the russian film industry? i know some of the russian ww2 films get pretty loving bonkers and i'd like to see something just utterly gonzo like this that isn't some low budget indie thing or a weird vanity project

Have some hardbass (not really an answer, just funny)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnDd9XkpiM

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Snake Island guys free it seems? I wonder if we will see interviews with them retelling the story.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/snake-island-sailors-prisoner-exchange-b2043690.html

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1507333553448800309
This was the Harry Potter thing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question, is it possible whether via fire support missions, SSM, or ATGM attacks, whether the land bridge can be “closed?”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is especially funny given that JK Rowling is now effectively poison among progressives for her anti-trans views. I guess that's his point: she's getting cancelled like Russia?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Quick question, is it possible whether via fire support missions, SSM, or ATGM attacks, whether the land bridge can be “closed?”

Russia logistics, even in the South, is still pretty hosed. The offensive against Mauripol is being largely supplied by the sea, and the Landing Ship that blew up was being used to transport and disembark logistics. If Ukraine can get those under fire and cut Kherson as a logistical crossorads, it could significantly cut the ability of Russia to even consider an offensive against Odessa and hurt their ability to break out, especially if Ukraine can make good in Kherson and threaten to cut off Russian forces moving north from logistics in the South or the East.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 25, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

Maybe I'm out of the loop but what's wrong with Harry Potter *from their perspective*? Wasn't it written by a known transphobe or whatever? Why would they take offense to it, wizards and poo poo?

Witchcraft is Satanic and they are Christofascists.

e: To be clear I mean the ruling party not all of Poland

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ukraine doesn't need to physically occupy space, it just needs to make it impossible to move supply convoys through the region. That seems to be their main tactic in the "counteroffensives." Rather than physically drive the Russians out, get them to abandon their positions due to lack of fuel/ammo/food.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Snake Island guys free it seems? I wonder if we will see interviews with them retelling the story.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/snake-island-sailors-prisoner-exchange-b2043690.html

That’s not the the Snake Island guys, those are other people there.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TulliusCicero posted:

1. Caleb Maupin is actual Russian state Affiliated Media

2. loving Tucker Carlson promotes this poo poo

Do you really think this is real?

It's a publicly known project. No Hunter Biden is not funding it.

No you can't make bioweapons targeting "ethnicities" like Russians, holy poo poo is that next level stupid

I don't believe it, I'm asking for rundowns on stuff like this because there's a million insane conspiracies that blossom out of the seed of something that's usually pretty innocuous or less sexy than people would like to believe, so I'm trying to get some idea of the truth behind this stuff.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Gros Tarla posted:

Dumbledore is gay and the racist eugenicists/supremisists are the bad guys.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I thought this was the case earlier then found out otherwise while I was away from the forums, but remained confident this would have already been addressed

"We would never cancel anyone in this country? How could you imagine that happening here"

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Why would they spend a big movie budget on silly skirmishes irrelevant to the outcome of The Great Patriotic War, when the self-centered Hollywood does not even make movies about the glorious battle of the USSR against Imperialist Japan?

More seriously, the US is seen as a vulture swooping in and grabbing western and southern Europe after the Soviets had sacrificed everything to defeat the Nazis, and with the only help being useless American Sherman tanks and a few jeeps. The impact of lend-lease and US/UK battles in the European theatre are just not recognized as impactful to the final outcome.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-dday-anniversary-russia-idUSKCN1T620J

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I decided on a whim to check out JK Rowling's Twitter feed (as of the moment, she hasn't tweeted at all about Putin's comments.)
But I do wonder how someone like her (who is very much a Centrist who believes they are the hero in their own story) will take on board someone like Putin comparing themselves to her.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

The Question IRL posted:

I decided on a whim to check out JK Rowling's Twitter feed (as of the moment, she hasn't tweeted at all about Putin's comments.)
But I do wonder how someone like her (who is very much a Centrist who believes they are the hero in their own story) will take on board someone like Putin comparing themselves to her.

She will either ignore it or condemn Putin, what else do you expect?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

She will either ignore it or condemn Putin, what else do you expect?

She is super dumb and conceited so I could see her trying to thread the needle about why her transphobia is in support of Ukraine or whatever

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think she already expressed her support for Ukraine. They might agree on the trans issues but I doubt they'd get along otherwise.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Deteriorata posted:

Ukraine doesn't need to physically occupy space, it just needs to make it impossible to move supply convoys through the region. That seems to be their main tactic in the "counteroffensives." Rather than physically drive the Russians out, get them to abandon their positions due to lack of fuel/ammo/food.

This guy has some good maps that talk about this:

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1507211542986735617

Particularly interesting is the area east of Kyiv:

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1507212331926925312

It might be that the Russians are trying to reinforce the Sumy area with troops taken from the Kharkiv area:

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1507212660621946883

There are more interesting maps in that thread. Impossible to tell how accurate any of it is, of course, and it's largely based on Ukrainian sources so there are large and obvious caveats.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 25, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PederP posted:

Why would they spend a big movie budget on silly skirmishes irrelevant to the outcome of The Great Patriotic War, when the self-centered Hollywood does not even make movies about the glorious battle of the USSR against Imperialist Japan?

Taking this more seriously than it was intended, you could probably make a pretty rad series about some soldiers who were at Khalkhin Gol, got sent to defend Moscow, then got sent back East for August Storm, showcasing how the Soviet military went from a shambles to a terrifying war machine over the course of six years, if such soldiers actually exist.

You could follow Zhukov, except that he wasn't there for August Storm, and you can't follow the other two Khalkhin Gol generals since they were both executed in purges.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 25, 2022

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah it’s Russia’s logistics that have holding them back more than anything else. Unless they magically unfuck that I don’t see how they’ll suddenly be able to drive through the heart of the country. Given the troops besieging Mariupol are mostly being supplied by sea I’m not sure that the city being taken frees up much logistical capacity for elsewhere.

Logistics, and a shitload of other problems. They have no real air support because of the danger of AA, something that a lot of modern armies don't need to worry about when they're just bombing much smaller nations. Most of their helicopters and planes just stomp on the accelerator and pump-and-dump their ammunition on cities. Their weird Afghanistan-era (1980s) battalion system is heavy on firepower, but low on infantry power. If they can get within artillery distance of a city, they can shell it, but their system is designed to avoid prolonged urban combat (and any prolonged combat, really) as much as possible.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CommieGIR posted:

This is especially funny given that JK Rowling is now effectively poison among progressives for her anti-trans views. I guess that's his point: she's getting cancelled like Russia?

Russia logistics, even in the South, is still pretty hosed. The offensive against Mauripol is being largely supplied by the sea, and the Landing Ship that blew up was being used to transport and disembark logistics. If Ukraine can get those under fire and cut Kherson as a logistical crossorads, it could significantly cut the ability of Russia to even consider an offensive against Odessa and hurt their ability to break out, especially if Ukraine can make good in Kherson and threaten to cut off Russian forces moving north from logistics in the South or the East.

Putin and I have very different views on being canceled. Putin has ‘canceled’ most of Russia’s hard and soft power himself.

In fact, I would put it more like Putin has decided to commit a long murder suicide. He truly seems to have decided “I will walk the path of Hitler,” and somehow has deluded himself that “this time it will be different.”

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsf6dsq3rQ

Vice News dispatch from Kharkiv.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

What's in it?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gort posted:

Taking this more seriously than it was intended, you could probably make a pretty rad series about some soldiers who were at Khalkhin Gol, got sent to defend Moscow, then got sent back East for August Storm, showcasing how the Soviet military went from a shambles to a terrifying war machine over the course of six years, if such soldiers actually exist.

You'd have quite the cast turnout considering staggering casualty numbers those soldiers would see from late 1941 desperate counterattacks, Rzhev bloodbath, and then subsequent operations. But considering the scale I guess someone could find an unit that went through that kind of journey and not needed to be reformed 2 times due to being completely obliterated especially if instead of a group of people you track one. Just have the main hero dude get wounded every couple months for a couple slow episodes, maybe some officer school stuff. Maybe short "behind enemy lines with partisans" too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

I don't believe it, I'm asking for rundowns on stuff like this because there's a million insane conspiracies that blossom out of the seed of something that's usually pretty innocuous or less sexy than people would like to believe, so I'm trying to get some idea of the truth behind this stuff.

the pentagon has a program which provides supplemental funding to biological labs to do things like testing for the presence of old soviet bioweapons which may be kicking around former soviet russia. its like keeping an eye out for conventional weapons getting sold out of vans or guys breaking into scrapped medical scanners and carrying dangerous isotopes around. if for some reason some anthrax starts popping up somewhere you'd really rather know sooner and not later

https://media.defense.gov/2022/Mar/...-IN-UKRAINE.PDF

these labs are ukrainian, they just get some extra funding from america to make sure they have the capability of identifying the effects of old biological weapons. of course, whether or not you believe the pentagon about this program which has been public knowledge for two decades depends on how much your mind can break free of the cycle of perpetual brainwashing that we are all subject to as part of the closed media ecosystem of the western imperialist powers. for example, did you know that amerikkka helps fund the so called 'containment' facility at chernobyl? what are they really researching there, i wonder? it is the perfect place to develop new weapons, and you won't hear a peep about this from the mainstream media

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
https://twitter.com/IrisovaOlga/status/1507252961122078756?s=20&t=jDqWnlyVNq5j9J8-b0fPag

Of course they have. We cannot have a cadre of academics teaching students to think critically about the organization of society or the power structures imbedded in society. In case anyone is wondering, this is a step that the Soviet Union refused to take. In fact, there were a lot of very good Soviet sociologists.

Edit

Fixed the link.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1507360792500449300

i can possibly believe it maybe. take Mariupol and then declare victory. i just don't think putin will fully go for it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/ArielliNir/status/1507312742339862559

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1507360792500449300

i can possibly believe it maybe. take Mariupol and then declare victory. i just don't think putin will fully go for it.

Yeah, again, Ukraine is gonna go "Oh that's nice, you've stopped fighting. We haven't"

https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1507317719091318786?s=20&t=BNhV4RyWicHS5Usuxb4o5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

So…

Do they? Like I can easily believe putin believes it and I can easily believe he really doesn't give a drat and he just thinks it's good propaganda. Or you know a bit of a mix of the two. With the amount of random bullshit the russian government is putting out at the moment honestly it pretty much seems pretty much a fools errand to look any deeper then the broadest of strokes and what they're actually doing.