Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SoP dlc obviously should be visits to the various dimensions the levels are from, solving those games' plot wholesale with well placed punches to Exdeath/Kefka/Sephiroth/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i'm here to kill emperor mateus

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SettingSun posted:

SoP dlc obviously should be visits to the various dimensions the levels are from, solving those games' plot wholesale with well placed punches to Exdeath/Kefka/Sephiroth/etc.

With the exception of any world that has Chaos as a cameo boss, in which case he just kills Chaos and peaces out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

With the exception of any world that has Chaos as a cameo boss, in which case he just kills Chaos and peaces out.

But...

What about Vincent?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vincent must die

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

*cuts off Sephiroth*

Just tell me about the huge materia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I have a thirst, a hunger, to kill my Dad

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

I have a thirst, a hunger, to kill my Dad my old man?!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SettingSun posted:

It should be. But realistically, Trials of the Dragon King will be something Bahamut related, Wanderer of the Rift will be Greg, and DIFFERENT FUTURE will be a true end/sequel hook?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tidus: Listen to my st-

Jack: I don't have time for this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna take Jack with me on my Praetorium runs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jack as a trust I would totally buy.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

At least he won't need his earbuds for rocking tunes when he cuts off Jecht at the end

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The key question: which FF would be most improved by having Jack as the protagonist?

I vote XIII, just punch through all the plot bullshit in that game.

E: Close second VIII; Jack, the mature student at Balamb Garden.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 25, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lightning and Jack would get along so well.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CottonWolf posted:

Jack: I’m going to kill Orphan

Orphan: Okay, thanks

*roll credits*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Twist ending of the FFVII DLC is that you kill aerith

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lightning and Jack would get along so well.

She fist bumps heads, he fist bumps friends

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Twist ending of the FFVII DLC is that you kill aerith

Cloud tearfully brings the buster sword down on Aerith, she dies gracefully in her arms

A 9999 floats above her head. Critical hit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CottonWolf posted:

The key question: which FF would be most improved by having Jack as the protagonist?

He'd be the janitor just taking up arms to cut through all these teenagers' teenage angst bullshit

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

But I thought everybody preferred Laguna precisely because he's so un-Squall and I guess un-Jack.

We really have come full circle back to the 90s. Enough smiling, happy prettyboys, let's get down to the murderin' and broodin'. (this is not a criticism)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Put Jack in FF15.
"Did you know that the delicious taste of Cup N-"
"I don't care about Cup Noodles."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Put Jack in FF15.
"Did you know that the delicious taste of Cup N-"
"I don't care about Cup Noodles."

"Just stick me in the crystal"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How about in every dimension the goal is to kill a manifestation of chaos and you get guest star party members. In 8 you get Seifer and Raijin/Fujin. In X you get Jecht (Jack's future bff) and young Auron.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't think any FF game would be improved with Jack as the protagonist, but I do want to see him in FFIX just to see what breaks first: Jack dealing with that world, or that world dealing with Jack. There's curious appeal in raw incompatibility.

VIII is the one where he changes the least about it; he and Squall are fundamentally different characters, but in terms of outward influence on others they're just different volumes of the same personality.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What even was the point of that Huge Materia scavenger hunt except to kill time before the finale?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What even was the point of that Huge Materia scavenger hunt except to kill time before the finale?

in 7?

Something something shinra making a weapon I think?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The huge materia plot is weird. Shinra is explicitly trying to save the world by attempting to blow up the meteor. Cloud and co just don't like that plan because Shinra evil or something so they steal the materia for their own ends. Funny, whether or not they succeed the outcome is the same. A literal waste of time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SettingSun posted:

The huge materia plot is weird. Shinra is explicitly trying to save the world by attempting to blow up the meteor. Cloud and co just don't like that plan because Shinra evil or something so they steal the materia for their own ends. Funny, whether or not they succeed the outcome is the same. A literal waste of time.

That's probably the only defense for their actions - it fails even with all the Huge Materia. Our heroes are certain that the plan won't work so why waste all this miraculous knowledge and wisdom of the Planet on a fruitless endeavor.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sponges posted:

Nice. I’ll give them a go.

I suppose 2 is so fundamentally broken they didn’t bother..?

God do I hate that mechanic they used in that game
FF2 uses the tweaks from the GBA/PSP version, so the enter/cancel bug is gone, the game will upgrade your HP even if you don't take damage, and Ultima actually works as intended.

It's still totally broken--you still have to do some grinding to be able to do any damage on some bosses--but now it seems closer to what they may have originally intended. One thing I didn't realize until this playthrough is how your stats build up more quickly against stronger enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The heroes choose to stop Shinra from getting the Huge Materia because: A) They are going to do terrible things to get them and B) They don't trust Shinra because Cait Sith let them sit in the conversation and they heard the plan was just "combo, gonna ram a rocket into it I guess?"

From a meta perspective the Huge Materia are the game's versions of The Crystals

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In telling Jed "I'm not mad, this is just how I am" Jack is more expressive than Squall tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hitting i-level 300 in Stranger of Paradise is massively easier and takes way less time than this last achievement sitting here taunting me about hitting level 99 in a job.

I will have you, SoP. You will be made complete

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SettingSun posted:

Unironically would love Zenos as a dlc super boss

Also Caius.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We pretty much know that one of those is gonna be Gilgamesh... Anything about the titles for the others give a hint...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Who is The Dragon King?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is jack fighting midgardsormr...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who is The Dragon King?

Bahamut

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A boss rush where you just teleport between different games and defeat final bosses or iconic fights would be insanely cool as a DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Evidently SOP is among the lowest-selling opening week FF spinoff games ever in Japan. Guess they just don't lust for Chaos death over there :colbert: