Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cat Machine posted:

Feel like the simplest counterpoint to the “Luffy chosen one??” narrative is that Shanks never planned to give the fruit to Luffy in the first place. He just ate it by pure accident and Shanks kinda just had to think on the fly, epitomised by him losing an arm over the whole mess. Odds are that we’re gonna get a flashback down the line that lays out what this fruit is, why it’s special and what people wanted to achieve with it - I’m gonna guess nobody was plotting to give it to Luffy.

he was there almost certainly to give the fruit to ace before luffy went and ate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Veskit posted:

I'm getting a lot of why didn't the eagles just throw the ring into the volcano vibes in this thread

It's not what I was expecting at all.. I can understand why some people are annoyed with the implied child of destiny narrative where the devil fruit avoided the world government for the entire 800 years since Joyboy and then chose Luffy, and I can understand why "it's the power to do anything in a fight, literally only constrained by the user's imagination!" would turn some people off because all of Luffy's best fights so far have been defined by him overcoming adversity / his own shortcomings and wining primarily through tremendous willpower against all odds.. and now it seems (on face value) like he should have infinite power to deal with any situation.

Of course in reality I don't really expect that to change.. Oda is going to keep on figuring out ways to stack the odds against Luffy and the victories won't feel any cheaper the rest of the way. I think people just need some time with this new power up to get comfortable with it lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jose posted:

he was there almost certainly to give the fruit to ace before luffy went and ate it

Yeah, love love love this idea. Could also see them inadvertently changing their mind and leaving it out around Luffy after he did his dream speech. Definitely prefer it to be what ya said tho..

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A question for everyone. Do we think that the entities that Mythical Zoan fruits are based on actually exist or existed in some real way in the One Piece world? Because to me, this is telling me that the Sun God Nika that Whos-Who was describing, was indeed just a legend. But the concept of that legend is what became Luffy's devil druit.

We desperately need some Devil Fruit exposition as soon as Wano ends. My idea right now is that devil fruits are the manifestation different concepts (elements, animals, materials, etc) and mythical zoans are manifestations of fantasy into reality.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

mabels big day posted:

A question for everyone. Do we think that the entities that Mythical Zoan fruits are based on actually exist or existed in some real way in the One Piece world? Because to me, this is telling me that the Sun God Nika that Whos-Who was describing, was indeed just a legend. But the concept of that legend is what became Luffy's devil druit.

We desperately need some Devil Fruit exposition as soon as Wano ends. My idea right now is that devil fruits are the manifestation different concepts (elements, animals, materials, etc) and mythical zoans are manifestations of fantasy into reality.

I think given the existence of ancient zones (things that actually existed long ago and went extinct like dinosaurs and saber tooth tigers), it would be reasonable to conclude that mythical zones are the dissolution of the mythological powers of entities that never actually existed except through the collective belief of people in the one piece world.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

so buggy's fruit is model: pagliacci right?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mabels big day posted:

ive said this before here i think, but theres an ability from the ancient kingdom that has the same name as the user: toki. there's absolutely a chance that fruits are named after actual people who had that power.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
Shanks D. Rat

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Starsfan posted:

It's not what I was expecting at all.. I can understand why some people are annoyed with the implied child of destiny narrative where the devil fruit avoided the world government for the entire 800 years since Joyboy and then chose Luffy, and I can understand why "it's the power to do anything in a fight, literally only constrained by the user's imagination!" would turn some people off because all of Luffy's best fights so far have been defined by him overcoming adversity / his own shortcomings and wining primarily through tremendous willpower against all odds.. and now it seems (on face value) like he should have infinite power to deal with any situation.

Of course in reality I don't really expect that to change.. Oda is going to keep on figuring out ways to stack the odds against Luffy and the victories won't feel any cheaper the rest of the way. I think people just need some time with this new power up to get comfortable with it lol

it's not like we haven't been exposed to these themes of will and destiny with our main character though and it literally just happened and I have no reason not to trust Oda that it won't work.

Also blah blah blah unreliable narrator.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

mabels big day posted:

I took it as the fruit is somehow a literal manifestation of that legendary animal or figure. Nika, Joyboy, was a real person, wasn't he? it may be that his soul is literally passed down through his Devil Fruit

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I absolutely do not care if a protagonist is fated, chosen, inherited, or whatever else. It's about the journey, not the predestination.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I assume the entities mythical zoans are based on aren't actually real, because if they were, they'd just be called zoans/ancient zoans.

That being said, I assume that Joyboy was the previous user of the HHnM:MN, but that the myth of the sun god Nika predates even them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So what is the difference between Chopper's fruit and Luffy's if they are both human-human fruits?

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So what is the difference between Chopper's fruit and Luffy's if they are both human-human fruits?

Quoting this directly from the thread OP:

alkanphel posted:

D: Mr. 4's gun "Lassoo" had the "Inu Inu Fruit, Model Dachshund." CP9's Jabura had the "Inu Inu Fruit, Model Wolf." So the Devil Fruits don't have the same type twice, but they CAN have different models? P.N. Hito Hito Fruit, Model Beautiful Girl;

O: In the case of Zoan-types, a different "model" is basically a different fruit. Just like those Inu Inu Fruit examples, there's also the Ushi Ushi Fruit Model Bison (Dalton) and Model Giraffe (Kaku). Just think of them as entirely different fruits.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

chopper has the hito hito no mi model: yeti

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Orochi is literally burning to death while the only person who could help him watches I'm pretty sure the dude is done

the nail is going to burn up/come loose and then he'll rise from the rubble as an orochi again to get owned again by momo to save hiyori

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Luffy has model: SUN GOD while Chopper has model: normal guy. I guess before the gods infused their souls into devil fruits they tested the process on an intern first, creating Chopper's fruit.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

rannum posted:

the nail is going to burn up/come loose and then he'll rise from the rubble as an orochi again to get owned again by momo to save hiyori

yeah literally 0% chance Orochi is dead just now.. it's annoying as hell for Kanjuro's bullshit to still be going on, but we are going to get a much more satisfying / definitive end to Orochi than "oh he's been lit in on fire and is screaming, now back to Luffy's fight - guess Orochi is dead now?"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Starsfan posted:

yeah literally 0% chance Orochi is dead just now.. it's annoying as hell for Kanjuro's bullshit to still be going on, but we are going to get a much more satisfying / definitive end to Orochi than "oh he's been lit in on fire and is screaming, now back to Luffy's fight - guess Orochi is dead now?"

Like this would be a good end to Orochi but it, like all of his deaths, just doesnt have the proper sense of finality.

like if Oda wanted me to come away from this thinking he's dead for real this time I want to see his charred corpse

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
yeah orochi has only died twice. Kanjuro's up to four.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

I'm not really up on the mythology of Orochi's fruit, but fire is what was used to keep the Hydra from regenerating. So it could at least be the part of his final downfall.
Though he's also got that nail in him now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zakutambah posted:

I'm not really up on the mythology of Orochi's fruit, but fire is what was used to keep the Hydra from regenerating. So it could at least be the part of his final downfall.
Though he's also got that nail in him now.

He's not a hydra, he's a Yamata no Orochi, which has the traditional weakness to getting drunk and being beheaded eight times. I didn't fight that same boss five times in Okami to forget!

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Begemot posted:

He's not a hydra, he's a Yamata no Orochi, which has the traditional weakness to getting drunk and being beheaded eight times. I didn't fight that same boss five times in Okami to forget!

Haha, right. See, I had little idea if he was just like a Japanese version of a Hydra or something more specific; thanks for the correction. Well, he's been beheaded a few times now, how many more as he got left to get to 8?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

This is Orochi’s third death, one from Kaido, one from all the scabbards at once, and now this.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Zakutambah posted:

Haha, right. See, I had little idea if he was just like a Japanese version of a Hydra or something more specific; thanks for the correction. Well, he's been beheaded a few times now, how many more as he got left to get to 8?

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This is Orochi’s third death, one from Kaido, one from all the scabbards at once, and now this.

iirc the scabbards beheaded multiple heads at once, so he's actually on his last head?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Orochi's arms will burn off, freeing him from the nails, but turning him literally into the metaphorical snake he has been, and the moment he feels free, he'll be beheaded by the Ame no Habakiri

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

i think they should just let everyone have a chance to kill orochi

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.

PirateZim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Cpc8Vw-2A

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Marluxia posted:

iirc the scabbards beheaded multiple heads at once, so he's actually on his last head?

Yeah, by my count he lost one head to Kaido and another six to the scabbards so he's on his last life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PirateZim posted:

Just chain him up in the middle of town and let everyone take a stab at him until he finally stops coming back (and if he literally can’t die then turn it into a new attraction for the public)

But as mentioned above assuming he operates the same way as an actual Orochi does then this is it for him

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Larryb posted:

Just chain him up in the middle of town and let everyone take a stab at him until he finally stops coming back (and if he literally can’t die then turn it into a new attraction for the public)

wouldnt that justify everything he was saying about his clans mistreatment

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

skipmyseashells posted:

wouldnt that justify everything he was saying about his clans mistreatment

Fair point (he’s still an rear end in a top hat regardless though)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Joyboy is Nika imo.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

hell yeah

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

:emptyquote:

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Starsfan posted:

This is kind of where I'm at, nothing about the described powerset is really a turnoff, it has in story limitations and I mostly don't think oda will mishandle the fights coming forward

But the reveal feels a lot like the gorosei turning to the audience and saying "he's the chosen one and can't ever lose now!!!!"

In a chapter or three it won't matter but in the moment it feels like the tension's been yanked out of the story

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think there are many people who are against Luffy being a goofy rubber man. If anything they're more down on it less because of Gear 5 itself and more that it turns out Luffy isn't a powerful and strong goofy rubber man because of eating a rubber fruit but that he's a powerful and strong goofy rubber man because he ate the liberation god fruit.

No, he's powerful and strong because he worked at it through tireless effort, and he's goofy because he's Luffy. The rubber part was developed and refined over time through Luffy's own ingenuity and experimentation and trial-and-error (see: Gum-Gum Pinwheel at Arlong Park, Gum-Gum Daze trying to counter Enel's Mantra/Observation Haki, etc).

Again, think back to where Luffy was when he was with Sabo and Ace right after eating the fruit: the kid could barely even throw a punch without hitting himself in the face. Everything people are complaining about are acting as if these powers were a sudden Deus Ex Machina bestowed upon him by the plot just now as an rear end-pull which is empathically untrue and ignores Luffy's entire developmental arc up until now. This is Luffy realizing the fullest potential of the fruit he had all along which he had to slowly and painstakingly uncover over time. What this chapter did was give new context to everything we've seen for over 20+ years but simply took for granted and is objectively amazing, full-stop. :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean the rubber powers didn't come from effort. They came from the liberation freedom god fruit.