Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Thread on Russian repressions in occupied territories:
https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1507414083313836033

KitConstantine posted:

Anyone else seen anything more about this? It's from Politico Europe's chief Brussels correspondent so I don't think it's complete fiction
https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1507436672300064775?s=20&t=_LwO6wicB-uFcTihZk2GBw

LeFigaro has it, I can't seem to find an individual link though --- it's one of those scrolling update thingies; on https://www.lefigaro.fr/international/direct-guerre-en-ukraine-joe-biden-en-pologne-ce-vendredi-pres-de-la-frontiere-ukrainienne-20220325

Quoting:

quote:

Emmanuel Macron va lancer une «opération humanitaire exceptionnelle» à Marioupol avec la Grèce et la Turquie

«Nous allons lancer une opération humanitaire avec la Grèce et la Turquie pour évacuer tout ceux qui veulent quitter Marioupol, annonce Emmanuel Macron. Nous organiserons les choses dans les meilleures conditions possibles. Cette ville de plus de 400.000 habitants n'a plus que 150.000 habitants qui vivent dans des conditions catastrophiques.»

«Nous sommes en train de la conduire, il y a eu des discussions concrètes avec le maire de Marioupol. On le fait en transparence avec le président Zelensky et les autorités ukrainiennes. Et nous allons ensuite négocier avec la partie Russe. Nous nous mettons en capacité de le faire dans les tous prochains jours. J’aurai une nouvelle discussion avec Vladimir Poutine dans les 48h pour en sécuriser les détails», ajoute le président français.

Sounds like this hasn't quite been discussed with Putin yet, but my French is very rusty.

Ukrainian story based on this:
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/03/25/7334584/

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

The current German defense minister is even more incompetent than her precedessors in the last 20 years - which says something as they include a certain nobel from Bavaria and Ursula von der Leyen.

There is a long list of stupid stuff she did in her 4 month tenure here (in German):

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten...-fettnapf-.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Thread on Russian repressions in occupied territories:
https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1507414083313836033

drat, that's some quality liberation material in there.

https://twitter.com/AKurkov/status/1506620167853416451

GaussianCopula posted:

The current German defense minister is even more incompetent than her precedessors in the last 20 years - which says something as they include a certain nobel from Bavaria and Ursula von der Leyen.

There is a long list of stupid stuff she did in her 4 month tenure here (in German):

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten...-fettnapf-.html

To be fair, that tweets does look drastically different when we tally up total assistance rendered to Ukraine.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MikeC posted:

I would say this view is still people overestimating the Ukranian's capacity for offense and still writing off the Russians as totally incompetent. There are no signs of Russian collapse in that area. By the Ukrainian's own admission, the fighting has very hard and not every attack they make is successful.

As I mentioned yesterday, the situation hasn't really changed for the Russians there. They have always been piping supplies in the area solely through Ivankiv and the Ukranians have had no significant followup on their successes at Teterivske and Makariv two days ago.

The Ukranians are also subject to the same logistical constraints the Russians are in that there isn't some secret avenue of attack that can support a push that the Ukrainians haven't shown that they are capable of making.

Even if things get more precarious for them north of the Teteriv, I don't see the Russians just giving up en masse or something. Probably more like leaving a bunch of heavy equipment behind like they have been doing for a while now.

This doesn't even take into consideration that the Ukrainian military risks greater losses by performing offensive operations, as opposed to what they've been doing. Ukrainian leaders have to make very careful calculations about how aggressive they can afford to be in any counter-offensive and how that could potentially be disastrous to defending the territory they've denied the Russians if they (UKR) suffers greater than expected losses. While they may not have suffered the same amount of casualties, they still have very limited reserves to pull from, as well as limits on material and vehicles.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

This is at least a contender for Napoleon's business trip to Russia. Only difference being that Napoleon had actually built an empire before committing his folly. And like Putin, without getting most of their army killed there would have been no real reason why that empire should have been toppled any time soon.

The gray indicates the Grande Armée on the way to Moscow. The black indicates it on the way back. The width of the lines indicates the number of men left in the army.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, spain was as bad for him as russia was, just spread out over six years of slowly-snowballing shitshow instead of one catastrophic winter

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Zelensky asked Orban to finally decide on whose side he is.

"Orbán rejected both requests because they are contrary to Hungary’s interests."

https://telex.hu/english/2022/03/25/zelenskiy-to-orban-there-is-no-time-to-hesitate-once-and-for-all-you-must-decide-whose-side-you-are-on

Putin: Heh their leader has a history of working in acting and screenwriting, what possible threat can he be lol? :smuggo:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The aid received by Ukraine from Germany since 2014 is in the low billions of Euros, though hard to precisely tally up. You can't know the direct military aid numbers yet, and a lot of the support is in boring poo poo like training and logistics and happened before the 2022 war. Everything after February 24th is a blur and won't be known publicly for a while.

Anyone quoting a concrete number is lying.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Owns

https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1507414146371006469?s=21&t=okMUJcx3aMZbNrj8m3n2dg

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

I hope that when this war is over, someone publishes a picture book of all the destroyed tanks

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Occupation does seem like it'll go over exceptionally well and easily. Hearts and minds and all that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nms:

https://twitter.com/den_2042/status/1507460724460818 438

Dead civilians. Just delete the space between 8 and 4.

Clearly Azov deep false flag attack. :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Dead civilians.

Already deleted tweet.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Already deleted tweet.

It's not if you follow the instructions, but it's very grim.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Regarding estimates of the number of refugees: even with a 90-day visa-free policy, wouldn't Ukranians still need to pass through immigration into the Schengen zone, and any aberration in the typical number of Schengen visitors from UA could be used as a rough proxy for the number of refugees? Or have the borders been effectively thrown wide open and so this data isn't being collected as it normally would?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Dead civilians. Just delete the space between 8 and 4.

Wasn't there a report saying that the local authorities don't have the ability to do anything about the dead currently and to just put them out on the balconies?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Already deleted tweet.

I did the space thing, since I’m on awful app and it always seems to embed otherwise.

Djarum posted:

Wasn't there a report saying that the local authorities don't have the ability to do anything about the dead currently and to just put them out on the balconies?

I heard mostly mass graves, but that does sound possible, especially if the goal is to prevent water contamination. Although I recall that dead bodies are bad more for morale, then as a disease vector, at least in context to a lot of reported issues.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I take it Biden finished his meeting with Poland?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

idempodunk posted:

Regarding estimates of the number of refugees: even with a 90-day visa-free policy, wouldn't Ukranians still need to pass through immigration into the Schengen zone, and any aberration in the typical number of Schengen visitors from UA could be used as a rough proxy for the number of refugees? Or have the borders been effectively thrown wide open and so this data isn't being collected as it normally would?

The Polish government site (updated 28th February) mentions you still need either a passport (+valid visa if applicable, though I'm unsure on the necessity of visas), or any document confirming identification - but in the latter case there's a 15 day period for you to regulate your stay and get temporary stay status. So I'm guessing at least the Polish-Ukrainian border is processed enough to get accurate data.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

This is neither gonzo nor on the Western front.
It's unrelentingly brutal and gritty, while being set in Belarus.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We know rough numbers of people entering Schengen. Poland for example reports 2.3ish million people.

Everything behind the border is impossible to say with accuracy, because, well, Schengen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

idempodunk posted:

Normally you need a biometric passport but I've heart at least Slovakia letting people in without a passport at all

Bremen posted:

You still need an account to actually see it so i guess I can consider myself lucky

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I take it Biden finished his meeting with Poland?

He’s stying overnight in Warsaw and has a full day tomorrow, including a stadium speech.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Someone in Hollywood should respond to Putin's request by making an American version of
Haytarma

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I heard mostly mass graves, but that does sound possible, especially if the goal is to prevent water contamination. Although I recall that dead bodies are bad more for morale, then as a disease vector, at least in context to a lot of reported issues.

From what I recall from what I THINK was an article written by the last Western journalist out of Mariupol, it's not exactly that there's no ability to bury bodies - more that any attempt to do so risks getting shelled by on-going Russian artillery so city authorities advised not trying to do so.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I've been able to call the center they're living at every day, speak English to a receptionist, and be connected to their room immediately.

They're being given tours of the city and being taken to parks to play. Not entirely sure what they're going to do about school though.

They're from Chernihiv and we haven't told them about what's happened there since they left. Other family, and some school friends did not make it and have been killed.

Really not sure what to do with that information, or how it should be given to them.

ask the people at the center, they should know how to get you into contact with some psychologists / Seelsorger / etc who can help you figure this out

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Antigravitas posted:

Greece and Turkey acting in concert?

I have my doubts.

Machine translated as usual.

100 MG3 aren't a lot, but… lmao, MG3 being shot at Russians.

The dumbest timeline.

Greece has a very active interest in Mariupol due to its large Greek population and turkey has an active interest in anything that prevents Russia from strengthening its position in the Black Sea. Plus France and turkey being the only non-US/UK nato members with legit militaries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Greece has a very active interest in Mariupol due to its large Greek population and turkey has an active interest in anything that prevents Russia from strengthening its position in the Black Sea. Plus France and turkey being the only non-US/UK nato members with legit militaries.

How are they going to sail through the Strait of Kerch?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

About that

Tagesschau posted:

France is planning a humanitarian operation with Turkey and Greece to evacuate people from the heavily contested eastern Ukrainian port city of Mariupol at short notice. This was announced by President Emmanuel Macron after the EU summit in Brussels. There were already concrete talks with the mayor of Mariupol and coordination with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Selensky. Consultation is also necessary with Russia, whose troops have been besieging the city for weeks.

According to the Élysée Palace, France is in contact with the Ukrainian authorities, the Greeks, the Turks and the relevant international organisations in order to specify the needs to be met. The basis for this, it said, was for France to demand that Russia lift the siege of the city, that people who wanted to leave could leave, and that people who wanted to stay could stay. Adequate humanitarian aid based on basic needs must be able to be provided under the conditions of international humanitarian law.

So it's a real thing, but there's a problem.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bremen posted:

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I did the space thing, since I’m on awful app and it always seems to embed otherwise.

Oh, I apologise, I’m blind. You’re correct, mobile app will embed in break with the convention.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

How are they going to sail through the Strait of Kerch?

Very carefully

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

While Germany gets most of the flak for dependency on Russian gas, its not the only country in the EU dependent on that gas. In fact other countries need that gas even more as a percentage of their energy imports and are in an even tougher spot of having infrastructure for getting it from another source or replacing it with other energy sources.

Edit: The data source of the graph is missing data for some countries, so those showing 0% Russian gas can be wrong. Austria gets roughly 80% of its imported gas from Russia; Ukraine probably roughly 100%.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 26, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mokotow posted:

He’s stying overnight in Warsaw and has a full day tomorrow, including a stadium speech.
Okay. Do you think he'll tell Poland to wait until after the war's over to do their own peacekeeping mission? I'd love to stop worrying about that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, I apologise, I’m blind. You’re correct, mobile app will embed in break with the convention.

No worries, at least it’s confirming to me it didn’t embed. :)

So un/related could Georgia decide to just retake its poo poo and pull it off?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DTurtle posted:

While Germany gets most of the flak for dependency on Russian gas, its not the only country in the EU dependent on that gas. In fact other countries need that gas even more as a percentage of their energy imports and are in an even tougher spot of having infrastructure for getting it from another source or replacing it with other energy sources.

What is this "other source" that Ukraine is using. Also lol Hungary.

Grouchio posted:

Okay. Do you think he'll tell Poland to wait until after the war's over to do their own peacekeeping mission? I'd love to stop worrying about that.

No

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

DTurtle posted:

Germany gets poo poo for it because they doubled-down on the Russian gas, despite being warned for years about it being a national security issue, and despite Crimea 2014. Russia's reward for Crimea was Nordstream 2.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

DTurtle posted:

Ukraine does get its gas from the Russian pipeline, not sure why that's not in the chart. It's a big reason they still maintain and fix it while in an active war with a nation making money off it. Blowing it up will 1) Piss off EU, 2) Screw them even more as they also need the gas.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

DTurtle posted:

It's the combination of being the leading power in the EU, policy choices over the last 30 years and sustained siding with Russia on everything that makes Germany so toxic. Not to mention ineptitude and the mentality of leaving its defense to others and looking down on them for it.

Not to mention trying to be the leading moral institution of the world while doing lots of business with every murderous dictatorship that exists.

I'll believe that they change course on Russia when their sustained actions support it for five years. Right now I'd be too worried that 60% of that country are just waiting for a chance to remove all sanctions and go back to business as usual.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Djarum posted:

It was poetry by an artist trapped in Mariupol, contemplating the likelihood of her impending death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What is this "other source" that Ukraine is using.

Wouldn't that be its own gas production?