Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

DTurtle posted:

While Germany gets most of the flak for dependency on Russian gas, its not the only country in the EU dependent on that gas. In fact other countries need that gas even more as a percentage of their energy imports and are in an even tougher spot of having infrastructure for getting it from another source or replacing it with other energy sources.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that chart too much, unless I'm reading it wrong, somehow. To the best of my knowledge, 80% of Austria's natural gas comes from Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Biden and NATO have already stated their intent to stay out of the war. A peacekeeping mission is not popular amongst either NATO or the polish citizenry. And such a mission would result in Russia striking polish soil, dragging everyone in anyways.

That is not in Biden's best interests.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

While Germany gets most of the flak for dependency on Russian gas, its not the only country in the EU dependent on that gas. In fact other countries need that gas even more as a percentage of their energy imports and are in an even tougher spot of having infrastructure for getting it from another source or replacing it with other energy sources.

The problem was Germany didn't have to. They openly chose to retire their nuclear plants prematurely, and now apparently did so at the advice of Gazprom advisers and lobbying. That's the issue. And even ignoring the majority of their gas usage is for heating, ~15% of their electricity is gas generated.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mobby_6kl posted:

What is this "other source" that Ukraine is using. Also lol Hungary.

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/_JakubJanda/status/1507411435940642818?cxt=HHwWhIDUmdyts-spAAAA

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Right now I'd be too worried that 60% of that country are just waiting for a chance to remove all sanctions and go back to business as usual.

Friedrich loving Merz had the gall to demand the government come up with a concept to rapidly reduce oil and gas dependency right now.

Head of the CDU.

If I had the ability to chocke a motherfucker to death via the Internet, I would have. I hate that party so much.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:nws: https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1507183759304577032

General hellscape, get this lady some protective kit

E: ofcourse it is Vita Zaverukha

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Someone in Hollywood should respond to Putin's request by making an American version of
Haytarma

WW2 adaptation of the Turkish Gambit with Dwayne Johnson playing Erast Fandorin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loving finally

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

What is this "other source" that Ukraine is using. Also lol Hungary.

Rad Russian posted:

Ukraine does get its gas from the Russian pipeline, not sure why that's not in the chart. It's a big reason they still maintain and fix it while in an active war with a nation making money off it. Blowing it up will 1) Piss off EU, 2) Screw them even more as they also need the gas.
Ukraine doesn‘t buy the gas from Russia, but from „western“ traders. It is still Russian gas transported through the pipelines from Russia to Western Europe. Apparently Deutsche Welle (incorrectly IMO) decided not to label that part as Russian sourced. It is theoretically possible to supply Ukraine from Western Europe if the Russians turn off the their supply, but that would obviously require enough gas to be available in Western Europe.

It's the combination of being the leading power in the EU, policy choices over the last 30 years and sustained siding with Russia on everything that makes Germany so toxic. Not to mention ineptitude and the mentality of leaving its defense to others and looking down on them for it.
While that is partly true, other countries are in similar positions. But I don‘t see anyone blasting Italy for their military spending or dependence on Russian gas.

quote:

Not to mention trying to be the leading moral institution of the world while doing lots of business with every murderous dictatorship that exists.
Luckily this doesn‘t apply at all to other „Western“ countries like the US or UK.

quote:

I'll believe that they change course on Russia when their sustained actions support it for five years. Right now I'd be too worried that 60% of that country are just waiting for a chance to remove all sanctions and go back to business as usual.
This seems reasonable. After all, if the current goverment loses the next election in four years, it is possible that the conservative CDU will once again undo all the efforts made by a SPD/Green government with regards to renewable energy, human rights, energy independence, etc like they did the last time.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

DTurtle posted:

About 10 years ago I got rid of my big ceramic fireplaces from my apartment because they took too much space. Everyone was saying "You should keep them, what if Russia turns of the gas?" jokingly of course, no-one really expected that I would need to carry firewood to the third floor in the center of Budapest.

I'm starting to regret my decision.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

The problem was Germany didn't have to. They openly chose to retire their nuclear plants prematurely, and now apparently did so at the advice of Gazprom advisers and lobbying. That's the issue. And even ignoring the majority of their gas usage is for heating, ~15% of their electricity is gas generated.

Seriously, Merkel deserves to have this and this alone be her legacy. Much like how Schroeder’s is now that of paid Russian tool.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It was poetry by an artist trapped in Mariupol, contemplating the likelihood of her impending death.

:nms: video inside article has Mariupol footage
https://rus.lsm.lv/statja/novosti/mir/trupi-na-ulicah-postojannie-obstreli-rasskaz-bezhenki-iz-mariupolja.a448569/

Local police did actually suggest that, according to a Mariupol refugee interview by our public news - to put those deceased of natural sources in balconies.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

DTurtle posted:

While that is partly true, other countries are in similar positions. But I don‘t see anyone blasting Italy for their military spending or dependence on Russian gas.

No one expects Italy to be functional and responsible.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hold on a godamn second.

While the proposed Polish peacekeeping mission does not involve NATO and just polish troops, wouldn't that just result in a NATO war anyways when Russia attacks Polish bases in retaliation? (cause polish soil is NATO soil technically)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Hold on a godamn second.

While the proposed Polish peacekeeping mission does not involve NATO and just polish troops, wouldn't that just result in a NATO war anyways when Russia attacks Polish bases in retaliation?

No you cant just start a war and cry to nato

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Himalayan salt, etc

https://twitter.com/alexandruc4/status/1507473089952718851

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

"Heart Attack"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I'm part Swabian, part Slovakian, part Polish and I guess some Hungarian. Now does that make me susceptible to ethnic bioweapon targeting say Slovaks, or is there a specific % I have to be genetically. :v:

You will feel an exceptionally acute pain in your anus but should be fine apart from that

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, again, Ukraine is gonna go "Oh that's nice, you've stopped fighting. We haven't"

https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1507317719091318786?s=20&t=BNhV4RyWicHS5Usuxb4o5g

that owns

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Hold on a godamn second.

While the proposed Polish peacekeeping mission does not involve NATO and just polish troops, wouldn't that just result in a NATO war anyways when Russia attacks Polish bases in retaliation? (cause polish soil is NATO soil technically)

There isn't going to be any Polish peacekeeping mission any time soon. Stop obsessing about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

There isn't going to be any Polish peacekeeping mission any time soon. Stop obsessing about it.
I would if I knew that Poland wouldn't be stupid enough to go in alone, even with it's current hawkish administration.
Except I don't know that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I would if I knew that Poland wouldn't be stupid enough to go in alone, even with it's current hawkish administration.

And Latvia might send a squadron of clowns armed with water pistols. You don't know that, either.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Putin died of cardiac failure. Someone's spell got messed up.

"Born in 2009 in the Czech Republic and given the name Putin, the tiger lived at the Denmark Zoo for six years before arriving in Minnesota. His genetically important legacy lives on as he has sired multiple cubs, including one born in 2017 at the Minnesota Zoo."
https://twitter.com/mnzoo/status/1507015906420948992?s=20&t=TXzd39v2TdBspawn8yqTGA

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Grouchio posted:

A lot of countries want to do a lot of things (including directly engaging Russia) to help that they currently can't do because it has the potential to escalate things and not actually be very helpful. I think anxiety posting about an idea that had lukewarm reception in NATO to begin with is needlessly worrying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hell of a way to say "fell from a 7th floor with fire polonium coated bullets in his head"

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

DTurtle posted:

The rest of the EU can tell Latvia to shut the gently caress up or bail them out if their economy goes into recession. The EU can't tell Germany to just roll with it or bail them out. Russian gas directly powers the heart of the largest economy and it's paralyzing the entire union.

That said I have no doubt some other countries are happy Germany volunteered to be the lightning rod here.

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

DTurtle posted:

But I don‘t see anyone blasting Italy for their military spending or dependence on Russian gas.

Everybody knows Italy is corrupt and they don't do much to hide it. The average Italian politician doesn't care about geopolitics as long as they get cheap gas and/or a cut of the profits.

People expect better from Germany. They're meant to be competent. Germany was quite happy to claim US/UK intelligence were being alarmist and hysterical about predictions of a Russian invasion, right up until the night of the invasion. The head of German intelligence was literally *in* Kyiv when it happened, and was in shock and disbelief that missiles were landing near him. He had to be emergency evacuated out of the city. Germany seemed to have had their head so far up their own rear end with their Russian "economic dependency will ensure peace" policy that the majority of the establishment seem to have lost any grounding with reality.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Antigravitas posted:

Friedrich loving Merz had the gall to demand the government come up with a concept to rapidly reduce oil and gas dependency right now.

Head of the CDU.

If I had the ability to chocke a motherfucker to death via the Internet, I would have. I hate that party so much.

All major parties in Germany are Russia enablers through and through, I definitely can't see where the CDU is any worse than the parties current coalition if that's what you mean.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Grouchio posted:

Hold on a godamn second.

Real life isn't a video game where everything happens automatically according to rules. If Poland attacked Russia and Russia fired back, it would be up to Poland if they wanted to ask NATO for help and then it would be up to NATO if they wanted to provide that help.

If Russia just attacks Poland unprovoked, that's still true, but it's unlikely NATO would let that go because any sign that NATO wouldn't honor its defense commitments would basically destroy NATO. If Poland intervenes and then asks for help (which is unlikely to begin with) the rest of NATO would be much more likely to say no because that doesn't set the precedent NATO is useless, it just sets the precedent that NATO won't help a member in a war that they start.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Hmm

quote:

As nerve agents, the Novichok agents belong to the class of organophosphate acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. These chemical compounds inhibit the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, preventing the normal breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine concentrations then increase at neuromuscular junctions to cause involuntary contraction of all skeletal muscles (cholinergic crisis). This then leads to respiratory and cardiac arrest (as the victim's heart and diaphragm muscles no longer function normally) and finally death from heart failure or suffocation as copious fluid secretions fill the victim's lungs.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla

DTurtle posted:

I don't know why, but the Eurostat data this chart is based on appears to be incomplete. I've looked at the original data sources, and while the chart seems to accurately reflect them, there are a conspicuous number of 0 entries in the NRG_TI_GAS tables (imports of natural gas by partner country). Austrian media has been reporting for weeks now that we import 80% of our natural gas from Russia. I can't find any good sources with a precise number, but it certainly is (significantly) more than 0%.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know this was a joke but that was an absolutely horrific thing to read could you not post detailed technical descriptions of death?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

All major parties in Germany are Russia enablers through and through, I definitely can't see where the CDU is any worse than the parties current coalition if that's what you mean.

Merkel I through IV has actively hindered efforts to decarbonise, and so has Kohl I through IV.

The only governments that have done anything at all in that direction were Schröder I and II, ironically enough.

Having the head of the party that governed for the last 16 years demand rapid action now is galling as gently caress. They were the ones who dismantled solar and wind companies, scrapped plans to insulate old building stock, hindered public transport wherever they could, and so on and so on.

Calling the Greens enablers of Russia is extremely weird. They have been hawks on Russia for a long time. Baerbock was ripping into Laschet for his Putinverstehering during the debates before the election.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

KillHour posted:

I know this was a joke but that was an absolutely horrific thing to read could you not post detailed technical descriptions of death?

Ive seen worse on web md. Besides by the time you get through the 20 letter molocules you should get the hint where this is going

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

A lot of countries want to do a lot of things (including directly engaging Russia) to help that they currently can't do because it has the potential to escalate things and not actually be very helpful. I think anxiety posting about an idea that had lukewarm reception in NATO to begin with is needlessly worrying.
Many many thanks guys.

Remind me again if OSINT is just spammy clickbait or not. (if it is i'll take this down)

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1507462461930323981

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Technically everyone dies of a heart attack.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

KillHour posted:

Weird post username synergy goin on here

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Clavavisage posted:

Weird post username synergy goin on here

Look, I'm the dude in charge of when you die, not how it happens.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Technically everyone dies of a heart attack.

Not if you get vaporised by a Javelin missile.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Grouchio posted:

Many many thanks guys.

Remind me again if OSINT is just spammy clickbait or not. (if it is i'll take this down)

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1507462461930323981

I hope NATO considers providing chemical warfare counter measures to the UA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Antigravitas posted:

Merkel I through IV has actively hindered efforts to decarbonise, and so has Kohl I through IV.

The only governments that have done anything at all in that direction were Schröder I and II, ironically enough.

Having the head of the party that governed for the last 16 years demand rapid action now is galling as gently caress. They were the ones who dismantled solar and wind companies, scrapped plans to insulate old building stock, hindered public transport wherever they could, and so on and so on.

Calling the Greens enablers of Russia is extremely weird. They have been hawks on Russia for a long time. Baerbock was ripping into Laschet for his Putinverstehering during the debates before the election.

You're reducing history to a timeframe that fits your narrative.

In their earlier times, the Greens were aligned with the USSR-orchestrated peace movement that aimed only at reducing Western defense capabilities. I agree that they've changed in more recent times.

The SPD has had decades of pro-USSR/Russia attitudes and policies. Here's a nice article that has some good examples and which you can probably read: https://www.zeit.de/2016/33/spd-reiseservice-russland-moskau/komplettansicht?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F.

Virtually no German party is innocent in this. Also, it's okay if an opposition party asks for policies that they themselves didn't pursue in office. All parties do this the world over, no need to get upset or call for someone to be killed over it.