Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Germany sent 1500 Strela air defense missiles and 100 MG3 machine guns to Ukraine. And then 8 million small arms ammunition. 350,000 packages of food, 50 vehicles for medical transport and material for medical treatment were also sent

Not sure if this is current new or over all.

Hope the Ukrainians like bratwurst and kraut

Ukrainians like both sausage and sauerkraut (they fill their dumplings with it and use it in stews and such) so they'd take to it just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Concerned Citizen posted:

it is still possible that russia encircles the ukrainian armed forces in donbas and tries to extort the government, but quite honestly if they decide quite literally to only focus on donbas then it's a complete farce.

Correct, yes.

quote:

tens of thousands, maybe 100k+ dead and millions of lives destroyed so russia can be exactly where it was prior to the invasion except for slightly more territory

They will not be in this condition, no

quote:

i would be happy ukraine defended its sovereignty but also feel incensed that such an insane war happened for the end result of almost nothing changing other than countless new victims of dumb poo poo great power politics. just completely pointless destruction and waste of life, incredibly idiotic

"Almost nothing changing" is again incorrect. The correct and just rally of the Ukranian people to the defense of their sovereignty has cost russia dearly for decades to come, and this needs to factor in your calculus

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Podolyak (one of Zelensky's advisers) was good to follow on Twitter when the negotiations looked like they were making progress, but I hate when he posts poo poo like this to rile up the West.

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1507474486907781122?s=20&t=r4Hs1jehJw6ZsxrvUAvnCw

This Savostyanov guy is evidently just some random Moscow Communist Party MP, and it was something he was proposing, not stating was part of Russia's plans.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 26, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wildeyes posted:

Podolyak (one of Zelensky's advisers) was good to follow on Twitter when the negotiations looked like they were making progress, but I hate when he posts poo poo like this to rile up the West.

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1507474486907781122?s=20&t=r4Hs1jehJw6ZsxrvUAvnCw

This Savostyanov guy is evidently just some random Russian Communist Party MP, and it was something he was proposing, not stating was part of Russia's plans.

....with what? What units?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's unclear to me that they are actually adjusting their plans rather than playing down expectations. There may be some evidence of pullbacks, but nothing that unambiguously looks like redeployment?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Wildeyes posted:

This Savostyanov guy is evidently just some random Russian Communist Party MP, and it was something he was proposing, not stating was part of Russia's plans.

thats too many emojis for anyone much less a government account.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Concerned Citizen posted:

it is still possible that russia encircles the ukrainian armed forces in donbas and tries to extort the government, but quite honestly if they decide quite literally to only focus on donbas then it's a complete farce. tens of thousands, maybe 100k+ dead and millions of lives destroyed so russia can be exactly where it was prior to the invasion except for slightly more territory. i would be happy ukraine defended its sovereignty but also feel incensed that such an insane war happened for the end result of almost nothing changing other than countless new victims of dumb poo poo great power politics. just completely pointless destruction and waste of life, incredibly idiotic
Unfortunately I’ve seen a lot online leftists talk unitonically about how “Ukraine had to be destroyed in order to save it.” or “Ukraine needed to be taught a hard lesson about siding with imperialists/nazis/fascists.”

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m assuming it’s to cut down on character count to avoid hitting the cap but yeah it looks extremely dumb.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Apollo posted:

Unfortunately I’ve seen a lot online leftists talk unitonically about how “Ukraine had to be destroyed in order to save it.” or “Ukraine needed to be taught a hard lesson about siding with imperialists/nazis/fascists.”

I can’t even imagine typing that out let alone believing it. Doing that requires a fundamentally broken brain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's seriously wild how so many westerns folks truly believe that this war is somehow justified,

https://twitter.com/aupercat/status/1494447218723598340?s=20&t=B_f1xNDvpg2GFvHgjsMSzw

:barf:

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The problem with the Russian army is the load bearing t-72s are just not hacking it versus javelins. Ukraine can basically dominate the battlefield by blowing up Russians 10 at a time in IFVs.

T72s were an nearly obsolete piece of soviet crap when they were new. They answered the bank breaking price and engine issues of the T64 by slapping all the easy install features in a slightly redesigned t62 hull.

Its had some armor redesigns. In the 80s.

And i suspect if its like everything else in the Russian army the ERA has had its expiration date penciled over a few times.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Barrel Cactaur posted:

T72s were an nearly obsolete piece of soviet crap when they were new. They answered the bank breaking price and engine issues of the T64 by slapping all the easy install features in a slightly redesigned t62 hull.

And i suspect if its like everything else in the Russian army the ERA has had its expiration date penciled over a few times.

or quietly replaced with egg cartons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Its also important to remember that other than the brand new T14, the T72 wasn't designed for survivability. It was designed to be massed so that you couldn't kill them all even if you wanted to. It was for a different tactic and a different era.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Putin saying he now knows how JK Rowling feels.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1507422853368528923?s=20&t=PunaaO-K18ZQeZhQHdU89A

The Tank flowers are coming up great!

Take these seeds. Put them in your tank turret so flowers will grow in Ukraine when it explodes.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

good to know I'm sure NATO countries will have to be silent as Azerbaijan and Turkey do what they're about to do.

I'm sure Putin has personally given Azerbaijan approval though.

Could you explain what exactly you're saying a little more?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Koos Group posted:

Could you explain what exactly you're saying a little more?

Azerbaijan has crossed the line of contact. They are moving into Armenian territory

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

It's unclear to me that they are actually adjusting their plans rather than playing down expectations. There may be some evidence of pullbacks, but nothing that unambiguously looks like redeployment?

Yeah, I’m not fully sold if this stretches further than propaganda rhetoric, yet.

Wildeyes posted:

This Savostyanov guy is evidently just some random Moscow Communist Party MP, and it was something he was proposing, not stating was part of Russia's plans.

To be fair, he says “may” and specifies a random MP. It’s not a high gravity claim, and I doubt it reaches further than minor regurgitation of this position in Poland or Baltics, which have believed Russia will come for them one day for the past 3 decades anyway.

Staluigi posted:

They will not be in this condition, no

Nominal death count is maybe not there as of yet, and it does hopefully not ever reach it. However, lives of millions of households have undoubtedly already been irreversibly shattered at best.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That’s the writing style currently in the vogue, especially on Twitter. 🧵

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I can’t even imagine typing that out let alone believing it. Doing that requires a fundamentally broken brain.

I don’t want to reignite that debate here, as it tends to not produce constructive outcomes - so just take my word for it being the case with some political cliques.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

I’m honestly impressed that you caught the DST switch, since they’re staged by a fortnight between America and Europe.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Deteriorata posted:

:shobon:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1507493829007585281?s=20&t=FSChr0XFVhE11j050VDbrQ

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m honestly impressed that you caught the DST switch, since they’re staged by a fortnight between America and Europe.

:ninja:

Weather channel gives the local sunrise time, I can cross-check with a live webcam to ensure that it really is getting lighter.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Azerbaijan has crossed the line of contact. They are moving into Armenian territory

Yeah. Armenia is Russia's ally. Azerbaijan is closely aligned with Turkey. I can't imagine Putin giving the go ahead for this. Azerbaijan used the opportunity to tidy up the borders of Karabakh a bit while Russia is distracted.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So do people think Georgia, might get antsy, about wanting to take some things back?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sekenr posted:

Yeah. Armenia is Russia's ally. Azerbaijan is closely aligned with Turkey. I can't imagine Putin giving the go ahead for this. Azerbaijan used the opportunity to tidy up the borders of Karabakh a bit while Russia is distracted.

Azerbaijan and Russia are also reasonably friendly.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So do people think Georgia, might get antsy, about wanting to take some things back?

As fun as that would be, Georgia has minimal armed forces and doesn't have options other than to keep on keeping on.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I am in Georgia right now. There is a huge amount of support for Ukraine on root levels and among the business but people don't want war of any kind. In addition the super kleptocratic gopnik party in charge is deathly afraid of antagonizing russia for fear of economy collapse

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Azerbaijan and Russia are also reasonably friendly.

Sure. The recent and brief Azerbaijan-Armenia war shown that Ru support for their ally was quite underwhelming. While Erdogan had no qualms to flying fighter planes right through Armenian territory and armenia could do nothing about it and russia gave no fucks and/or also could do nothing to stop it.

At the time it seemed like cynical 5d chess "screw over my own ally to make them more dependant on me" but could be just impotence. If this goes on Armenia will just go #fuckrussianship and throw their lot with Iran if they are at all interested

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia should have annexed the caucuses and Uzbekistan before they tried their hand at Ukraine.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Young Freud posted:

https://twitter.com/SputnikATO/status/1507459706335674372?s=20&t=y9A3R64P99MJaBFUwydG7A
It's a little concerning because he is the former chief of staff of the Logistical Support of the Russian Armed Forces.

However, he possess an urge to lead from the front, even helping rescue people from an ammunition warehouse fire, so who knows!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitry_Bulgakov

cini noted that this tweet is apparently the only source so far so he might or might not have gotten the top job (apparently he'd need to pass through two first deputy ministers AND beat out a swarm of other deputy ministers in order to catapult up to minister of defense), but just looking at his wiki brings up an interesting career history.

quote:

Between 1996 and 1997, he served as chief of a food warehouse, chief of a storage department, a deputy commander of a separate communications regiment for logistics, deputy brigade commander for logistics, deputy commander of a motorized rifle division for logistics, deputy chief of logistics of the Trans-Baikal Military District, and chief of the logistics staff of the Moscow Military District.

Seven roles within two years at best? That's a busy bee. Not to mention a lot of promotion, too - going from "in charge of a food warehouse" to "chief of logistics staff for the military district of the capital" seems a bit of a jump. Now I'm vaguely aware that the US military at least has a thing about officers getting "ticket punch" jobs to gain the qualifications necessary for promotion without really spending enough time in the role to get to know it, but does that rate of promotion/transfer sound normal to any military guys around? Or are some of these positions something you might hold simultaneously, wearing multiple hats at a time? Or does it sound like there were some shenanigans involved of some kind in his getting yanked up the ladder so quickly?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I feel like that would be a bad idea. The Russian bear may be wounded but it's still big, and Ukraine is doing as well as it is now because it's a relatively large country that heavily focused on building up their military forces with Western support before the war and even more Western support after it started and the Ukrainians STILL have way too many Russians camping on their territory and blowing up their stuff. Even if the Russians really have moved away enough stuff that the Georgians can start something and achieve initial success, long-term the Russians will wind up their war in Ukraine eventually one way or another and the Georgians can't possibly expect to get the same kind of Western support for an offensive, revanchist war and then they'll be facing down the entire extremely angry armed forces of Russia alone. Any war would be gambling on a complete Russian political collapse and hoping that the results will be willing to leave Georgia alone, with catastrophic consequences if the gamble goes wrong.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia should have annexed the caucuses and Uzbekistan before they tried their hand at Ukraine.

Most of these areas are dirt poor poor and have the potential to be Afghanistan-style foreverwar.

Also, kind of related Uzbek migrant workers in Russia now say that with new rouble exchange rate, working in russia "isnt worth it".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sekenr posted:

Most of these areas are dirt poor poor and have the potential to be Afghanistan-style foreverwar.

Also, kind of related Uzbek migrant workers in Russia now say that with new rouble exchange rate, working in russia "isnt worth it".

I just mean they should have reconquered these areas getting quagmired in Ukraine because now these places will fill the vacuums created by said quagmire.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Weather channel gives the local sunrise time, I can cross-check with a live webcam to ensure that it really is getting lighter.

:five:

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I can’t say I’ve seen anyone serious speculate that. Wouldn’t make too much sense to me either - they barely have an army, and I struggle to identify solid motives for the current government to go down that road.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Deteriorata posted:

I just put the YouTube stream on my tv in the evening while I'm doing other stuff. I also find it restful to see. This has backfired occasionally when I forget it's on and the air raid sirens go off but I chalk it up as part of the experience.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Tomn posted:

I feel like that would be a bad idea. The Russian bear may be wounded but it's still big, and Ukraine is doing as well as it is now because it's a relatively large country that heavily focused on building up their military forces with Western support before the war and even more Western support after it started and the Ukrainians STILL have way too many Russians camping on their territory and blowing up their stuff. Even if the Russians really have moved away enough stuff that the Georgians can start something and achieve initial success, long-term the Russians will wind up their war in Ukraine eventually one way or another and the Georgians can't possibly expect to get the same kind of Western support for an offensive, revanchist war and then they'll be facing down the entire extremely angry armed forces of Russia alone. Any war would be gambling on a complete Russian political collapse and hoping that the results will be willing to leave Georgia alone, with catastrophic consequences if the gamble goes wrong.

You hit the nail on the head there. There is no rush for Georgia to do anything currently. If Russia does collapse politically/economically/militarily then their job is basically done for them. If it doesn't they don't win or lose. It's the safe bet to just watch what is going on in Ukraine and what the world does next to Russia economically and politically.

Though if things start popping off in multiple satellites at once things could get real spicy, real quick for Russia. That isn't considering Japan taking back their islands or political unrest in Russia itself.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh huh, apparently speakers of Baltic parliaments were in Kyiv on the 24th.

https://twitter.com/ua_parliament/status/1507454768955871233

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:five:

I can’t say I’ve seen anyone serious speculate that. Wouldn’t make too much sense to me either - they barely have an army, and I struggle to identify solid motives for the current government to go down that road.

I guess I’m just trying to think of areas, well besides Japan, that Russia has border issues with or Russia has (practical) control of a state, that could be considered tenuous at best.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh huh, apparently speakers of Baltic parliaments were in Kyiv on the 24th.

https://twitter.com/ua_parliament/status/1507454768955871233

The president of Estonia, fresh off the golf course

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I just mean they should have reconquered these areas getting quagmired in Ukraine because now these places will fill the vacuums created by said quagmire.

If they occupied central asia and Caucasus they'd have no strength left for Ukraine so I agree I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The president of Estonia, fresh off the golf course

They call that midlands.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I guess I’m just trying to think of areas, well besides Japan, that Russia has border issues with or Russia has (practical) control of a state, that could be considered tenuous at best.

Japan doing anything is Clancychat as gently caress.