Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1507735997253136391

Wonder if it means the S-300 situation is sorted or something

Biden sold some Iron Dome tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It did sink in a port in shallow water so it's very possible that depending on the kind of damage the ship can be repaired and refloated. This is not a rapid process, though.

Yeah, considering they can hardly get food to their frontline, are using bandages from the 70s and that 1 in 10 tanks in their reserve is functional with the rest missing parts, I wouldn't hold my breath on the recovery process of a sunken ship in range of enemy fire.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1507728639185625091

CNN reporting on the blasts & smoke as well.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Zhanism posted:

The ship had a massive fire and multiple detonations in board. If by repair you mean rebuild everything but the hull under the water line then yes, we can rebuild!!!

The top down view a little bit earlier on the page has the bow 10-15 degrees off the rest of the ship. (Unless it listed, but it doesn’t look like it.)

That ship will never sail again.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1507728639185625091

CNN reporting on the blasts & smoke as well.
E: nvm

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 26, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1507753399009300482?s=20&t=LhY6erhesYnKhMEHs9-NEQ

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Crow Buddy posted:

The top down view a little bit earlier on the page has the bow 10-15 degrees off the rest of the ship. (Unless it listed, but it doesn’t look like it.)

That ship will never sail again.

In some of the shots where the ship was on fire you could clearly see the fire burning right through the port side almost at water level. It’s dead.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mokotow posted:

In some of the shots where the ship was on fire you could clearly see the fire burning right through the port side almost at water level. It’s dead.

It's merely pining for the fjords!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Missionary Positron posted:

Could be a hit on an arms depot filled with Western weapon shipments

Or a chemical fire of sorts. Russians have shown themselves to be fond of bombing fuel depots.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1507516892688359430
https://mobile.twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1507676197039362049

Charismatic unit member crowdfunds his unit over tiktok/Twitter TYOOL2022. Wild timeline

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Sad to see Lviv starting to get hit more, was thinking it might be the only major Ukrainian city to escape all this mostly intact.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Or a chemical fire of sorts. Russians have shown themselves to be fond of bombing fuel depots.

I wonder (and this is kind of Clancychat) if the Russians picked a target that would be visible to Biden in Poland in some way. Granted that implies way too much operational competency for Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I wonder (and this is kind of Clancychat) if the Russians picked a target that would be visible to Biden in Poland in some way. Granted that implies way too much operational competency for Russia.

Not at all Clancychat, I think it’s normal to expect Russia do some flashy posturing today.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Mayor of Lviv

https://twitter.com/andriysadovyi/status/1507759499880316930

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mukaikubo posted:

That would be because Team Yankee was explicitly written in the world of Hackett's Third World War as a companion piece to show the ground-level experience of what Hackett was describing. They're a very interesting combo.

Oh interesting! I never knew that.

$50K sounds like a lot but it really isn't. An ACOG has an MSRP around $1200.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wonder how they can get the gear and not have ITAR issues, cause seriously they should be ordering via a brownells or someone with a poo poo ton of export experience.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not at all Clancychat, I think it’s normal to expect Russia do some flashy posturing today.

It does seem right up their alley and their small dick energy way of showing off.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There is zero percent chance that ship can ever be made seaworthy again. Fire on a ship is super bad news, even worse on a military ship due to the amount of fuel and munitions on board along with the weight they are supposed to hold. The heat is the biggest issue. Heat will weaken the metal that makes up the hull and other structural components. Once that metal is weakened there is no way to repair it. A moderate chop could cause a catastrophic failure. That thing is scrap to be recycled now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Djarum posted:

There is zero percent chance that ship can ever be made seaworthy again. Fire on a ship is super bad news, even worse on a military ship due to the amount of fuel and munitions on board along with the weight they are supposed to hold. The heat is the biggest issue. Heat will weaken the metal that makes up the hull and other structural components. Once that metal is weakened there is no way to repair it. A moderate chop could cause a catastrophic failure. That thing is scrap to be recycled now.

But enough about the kuznetskov

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Disregard: as late as a russian fuel delivery.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Edit- nevermind the tweet was deleted.

It was big fuel tanks on fire in Lviv.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Djarum posted:

moderate chop could cause a catastrophic failure. That thing is scrap to be recycled now.

That kind of thing doesn't seem to be an issue for Russia considering some of their tanks are made out of painted egg cartons.

In a weird kind of way is this bad news for the war industry? The 'big bad' is kind of lame and its pretty hard to make a case of ever increasing the defense budget when the next biggest country in line just lost a third of their armor division to mud and farmers.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

In a weird kind of way is this bad news for the war industry? The 'big bad' is kind of lame and its pretty hard to make a case of ever increasing the defense budget when the next biggest country in line just lost a third of their armor division to mud and farmers.

There's always China. At the very least they need to replace all the NATO stockpiles, and very likely a continuous production stream for a multi month war in Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Buckwheat Sings posted:

That kind of thing doesn't seem to be an issue for Russia considering some of their tanks are made out of painted egg cartons.

Not really, it’s going to be a couple of different arms races simultaneous. Remilitarise Europe, figure out anti-drone tech, upgrade Ukrainian army to proper Western equipment, fix poo poo that was shown to be vulnerable to Russian tech (despite observed problems), etcetera - this all has been very beneficial to the MIC politically.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Well China has sorta taken over as the main concern for everyone for the last decade or so. Russia hasn’t been a real player since the early 00s. The end of the USSR and then their economic problems through the 90s and early 00s put them so far behind that they struggled to produce the things they had designed and prototyped in the late 80s and early 90s. Most of their “new” equipment has been either very old designs slightly updated or pure science fiction in terms of capabilities all while not being able to field them in any real numbers.

China on the other hand has spent the last 30 years rapidly trying to modernize and expand their military. They have invested heavily in counters to a lot of US/NATO systems, although there is always the question of how well they work. Also they have a lot of knowledge gained by espionage although not much of it can be put into practical use because the limits of Chinese manufacturing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think the speech begins soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmeFmrPKp0

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's good for them because it reminds everyone that we could easily end up like Germany if we don't keep up on it.

Also China exists and is furiously taking notes like they forgot to study for the test today.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1507735997253136391

Wonder if it means the S-300 situation is sorted or something

Well that's very good timing. Russian air poo poo really needs to be shut down, they shouldn't be able to just freely hit targets in the west.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speech is live.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Always kinda wary of these guys but he seems to be actually Doing Things and also seems like an alright dude:

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1505028325256876033?s=20&t=OzdvF1LdztCVjTSeWRco8A

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m curious what’s going to happen if Azerbaijan Bayraktars Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh, but may not be a topic for this thread, for now anyway.

Might learn soon.

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1507763700958117895

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

StumblyWumbly posted:

Why would Medvedev bother differentiating between "an attack on Russia" and "an attack that paralyzes Russia's nuclear infrastructure"?
I read it as a way to draw a dotted arrow between sanctions -> nukes.

Russia can’t afford some material needed for their nuclear program -> the West is using sanctions to disarm us -> this is a red line for us -> sanctions must end or we let the nukes fly.

Not that I think this is a successful or compelling argument but it felt like a trial balloon along those lines to me.

Edit: yeah, the bit about cyberattack makes sense too. Better to be clear that a Stuxnet 2.0 is a red line for them. Good luck proving who your attacker is in that case though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That speech might not be the best - a bit rambling - but it is savage in the way it goes after Pooter

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Victis posted:

Always kinda wary of these guys but he seems to be actually Doing Things and also seems like an alright dude:

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1505028325256876033?s=20&t=OzdvF1LdztCVjTSeWRco8A

Tuckems does have a very punchable face and anyone who recognizes that couldn't be all bad.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

More than anything else, this feels like the strongest indicator that there are things Russia is losing in all this that are not coming back.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Okay, I had kind of hoped that there’s going to be at least something about policy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bless ol' Joe. He's not Hollywood material, but he's saying the right stuff.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vHX9tSM.mp4 https://i.imgur.com/wccmyKn.mp4

Slavutych. Russians, gently caress off, go home, etc :v:

A couple pages back, but this thread moves so fast.

I’d imagine the only thing scarier than a mass of angry unarmed people who don’t even flinch at the sound of automatic gunfire, is the knowledge that half of the world is giving them as many AT and AA systems as they can. Ukrainians got some balls.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ola posted:

Bless ol' Joe. He's not Hollywood material, but he's saying the right stuff.

lol I'm excited to hear the performative offense from the Russian embassy twitter accounts at Biden ending his speech with "For God's sake, this man cannot remain in power"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Okay, I had kind of hoped that there’s going to be at least something about policy.

For a speech like that, it was fairly specific when he said Europe must end its reliance on Russian fossil fuels and the US will help, as well as mentioning green energy - so it's not just helpfully shipping shale oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ola posted:

For a speech like that, it was fairly specific when he said Europe must end its reliance on Russian fossil fuels and the US will help, as well as mentioning green energy - so it's not just helpfully shipping shale oil.

The only problem with this is Congress is deadlocked and they’ve been undermining any renewable energy program his administration has been trying to enact. By November the Republicans will take over and it will just be shipping shale oil if they don’t just switch sides entirely.