Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

There is no decorum to break down, the Russians have abandoned all pretenses of normal diplomacy long ago. Nobody cares when politicians "threaten" Assad either.

Its not decorum, its not giving sound bytes to the Russian propaganda machine to feed the true believers stuff that cannot be refuted. Putin isn't an evil wizards whose death releases the country from his grip, the west needs to convince also the middle managers of evil and pacify the masses of idiots to whom Putin was a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Der Kyhe posted:

Its not decorum, its not giving sound bytes to the Russian propaganda machine to feed the true believers stuff that cannot be refuted. Putin isn't an evil wizards whose death releases the country from his grip, the west needs to convince also the middle managers of evil and pacify the masses of idiots to whom Putin was a god.

Russian propaganda doesn't give a poo poo about what Joe says, they are going to report he sacrificed a baby on TV to receive powers from Satan to hex Russia no matter what.

And professional Russian diplomats don't give a poo poo what Joe says to engage the rubes because they are professionals.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Russian propaganda makes its own soundbitew, so to speak. Decorum is not helping back at home, and it doesn’t exert any pressure on Putin or his cronies. These are bullies who only understand threats, and acting as if these were still the days of the great diplomacy game misses the fact that these people are downright nasty and only influenced by strong language.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
In this specific situation, there's no direct downside to calling for Putin's removal. Putin is already interfering in other countries' elections, invading, and I'm pretty sure there have been business and diplomatic agreements that have been broken or strained.

But it makes life easier to have a rule that the US will not ever call for regime change. Now there's a line somewhere. If we're calling for change in Russia, why not China or North Korea? Hungary? The reason not to is not because their leaders are morally better, its because their leaders have more respect for international boundaries, so good luck explaining that distinction on talk radio.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

William Bear posted:

Wow, I knew it was expensive, but I just looked it up.

An FGM-148 Javelin Command Launch Unit costs $250,000, and every missile costs another $250,000.

Modern anti-tank weapons are more expensive than an armored Humvee. I guess they're worth it, though.

They're not 500k, they're ~200 for tube and missile

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Der Kyhe posted:

"We will no longer negotiate with Putin regime and keep piling sanctions until Russia does something to fix it's international relations" vs. "We want Putin gone (wink wink)"

While I wish that Putin fast-forwarded this poo poo and went to bunker to shoot himself in the head, he is still a head of state and direct threats just plays to his propaganda machine, or whats left of it.

Sigh. We can agree to disagree. I’ve been of the opinion for awhile that if NATO and the EU want Putin to take them seriously at all, direct threats… or at least the implication of threats are necessary.

For example the Biden administration statement last week that it will respond to a chemical, biological, or nuclear attack while keeping it vague enough for Putin to have to worry NATO will directly intervene with military measures was well over due.

And frankly, Putin is a fascist and a war criminal. There is nothing wrong with saying the West wants him gone.

It’s not like Biden G.W. Bush’d this and said, “sanctions upon Russia forever unless Putin is deposed.” But let’s not obfuscate the truth here—the world (including Russia) would be better off if the man tripped and fell out of fourth story window that doesn’t actually open.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No the war criminal comment was not walked back on. Personally as much as I disagree with this. It’s probably the right move, that being said no one will actually remember the White House staffers addendum because all the networks are reporting the “Biden tells putin to sit on plunger and spin” tone rather then rear end covering. Right now at least.

Funnily enough, the right having an existing narrative of Biden being a senile old fool prone to gaffes like this is probably gonna help correct the news cycle.

Like, this is the Fox headline right now:
"OPERATION CLEANUP: White House immediately forced to walk back explosive comment Biden made about Putin"

https://www.foxnews.com/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Imo putin should be removed from power.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PerilPastry posted:

Funnily enough, the right having an existing narrative of Biden being a senile old fool prone to gaffes like this is probably gonna help correct the news cycle.

"OPERATION CLEANUP: White House immediately forced to walk back explosive comment Biden made about Putin"

Fox and chuds will gurgle out their own lines. They have a loving Russian assets on staff so gently caress em. CNN is finally reporting it now it’s more focusing on the speech as whole.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 26, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Sigh. We can agree to disagree. I’ve been of the opinion for awhile that if NATO and the EU want Putin to take them seriously at all, direct threats… or at least the implication of threats are necessary.

For example the Biden administration statement last week that it will respond to a chemical, biological, or nuclear attack while keeping it vague enough for Putin to have to worry NATO will directly intervene with military measures was well over due.

And frankly, Putin is a fascist and a war criminal. There is nothing wrong with saying the West wants him gone.

It’s not like Biden G.W. Bush’d this and said, “sanctions upon Russia forever unless Putin is deposed.” But let’s not obfuscate the truth here—the world (including Russia) would be better off if the man tripped and fell out of fourth story window that doesn’t actually open.

I will take this deal and end this derail about international diplomacy and mass media appearances here.

Edit: Although it seems that I need to add this one to say that I am not in favor of keeping Putin, or any of his cronies, and I really would prefer him to pick the bunker and the pistol already where does the needful.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 26, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh my God they want to get rid of the fascist how terrifying

Comrade Biden wants to restart the Soviet union!

I mean Putin is a great guy you gotta hand it to him he made Russia again and protected the border.

The Russian empire has to lose 50,000 people a year to military venture minimum as a taxes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Very interesting that Russia seems to be unwilling to ban YouTube. :thunk:
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1507789249550168077

Edit: People keep replying to this so let me clear up that I’m being sarcastic.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 26, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Imo putin should be removed from power.

Imo Russia should stop doing bad things and I don't give a poo poo who's in power. Diplomacy should be based on behavior, not personalities.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That stuff can be enough to get some oligarchs and/or generals having a conversation similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

How else are their conscripts supposed to learn how to drive their 50-year-old tanks and IFVs?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

PerilPastry posted:

Which was why someone walking it back immediately was stupid. If you are going to walk it back you do it after you let it marinate for a bit and see how it plays. This accomplished nothing now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s either to big in Russia and/or it’s about them trying to fund various channels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

Which was why someone walking it back immediately was stupid. If you are going to walk it back you do it after you let it marinate for a bit and see how it plays. This accomplished nothing now.

Yeah. I get why they did but my guess is they loving panicked because they are afraid this will escalate poo poo or international decorum which I get but give it a day and do it quietly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Their military would lose access to all classic vehicle repair videos.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s either to big in Russia and/or it’s about them trying to fund various channels.

I'm not actually confused, to be clear, it's both. It's just really amusing to watch RKN "YouTube, you better watch out, or else you'll have to watch out in the future".

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's likely that they can't ban Youtube without losing access to most of Google and the web in general.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah. I get why they did but my guess is they loving panicked because they are afraid this will escalate poo poo or international decorum which I get but give it a day and do it quietly.

Whomever jumped the gun there is either going to be in the doghouse for a long while or unemployed when they get back to the US. If I had to guess it was likely a State Dept. non-political person who made the statement. I can't imagine a political operative that has enough experience to get to the White House being that stupid.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Russian 'pranksters' released the video call to UK Home Secretary Priti Patel.

https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1507573674861289472

e: Full 15 minute video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrwZBFukyw

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 26, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
:nms: big explosions from Lviv

https://twitter.com/thomas_dudek/status/1507778795268452359

Is this the closest a president has been to significant missile fire/air strikes for recent years?

fuctifino posted:

The Russian 'pranksters' released the video call to UK Home Secretary Priti Patel.

lol at this anti-capitalism journalist who pimps his PayPal address in his twitter bio.

That UK secretary is going to have a hard time shaking this off, oof

ummel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 26, 2022

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Djarum posted:

Whomever jumped the gun there is either going to be in the doghouse for a long while or unemployed when they get back to the US. If I had to guess it was likely a State Dept. non-political person who made the statement. I can't imagine a political operative that has enough experience to get to the White House being that stupid.

Correcting it immediately rather than allowing his fuckup to fester for an entire news cycle means they can handle it as a case of clarification/Biden misspeaking rather than trying to turn the tanker of an entire press corps utterly convinced that ousting Putin is now official US policy.

fuctifino posted:

How many years have they been doing this stuff? And how do these people not smell a rat? I mean, these guys are one step away from yelling out "Baba Booey! Baba Booey! "

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm not actually confused, to be clear, it's both. It's just really amusing to watch RKN "YouTube, you better watch out, or else you'll have to watch out in the future".

I work for a state government in the US and this is exactly how we monitor the recipients of state funds to run certain programs.

“Oh, you hosed up. We are putting you on a corrective action plan and if you don’t fix what you hosed up, you better watch out! We will monitor you again and put you on another corrective action plan.”

And then when you say to your bosses, can we just stop giving these guys money…?

The response you get is either:

1. No those guys are connecting to the governor. They gave a lot to his campaign; or

2. No because if we stop giving them money who will provide that service to that area?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 26, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Correcting it immediately rather than allowing his fuckup to fester for an entire news cycle means they can handle it as a case of clarification/Biden misspeaking rather than trying to turn the tanker of an entire press corps utterly convinced that ousting Putin is now official US policy.

How many years have they been doing this stuff? And how do these people not smell a rat? I mean, these guys are one step away from yelling out "Baba Booey! Baba Booey! "

As it's Priti Patel (a disgusting excuse of a human being) i'll just let it slide tbh.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's big, one journalist who was running an independent news station said that they cant shut down Youtube cause it's so huge, everyone uses it families watch Masha and bear there and that's the only example that I remember, cause my kids also watched Masha and bear, there's also buttload other Russian kids cartoons there. My partner is of Russian ethnicity and most of her family lives in Russia nowadays and she says the same thing, it's just too big. It's the same deal with WhatsApp, even Meta is banned there WhatsApp still works.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

StumblyWumbly posted:

In this specific situation, there's no direct downside to calling for Putin's removal. Putin is already interfering in other countries' elections, invading, and I'm pretty sure there have been business and diplomatic agreements that have been broken or strained.

But it makes life easier to have a rule that the US will not ever call for regime change. Now there's a line somewhere. If we're calling for change in Russia, why not China or North Korea? Hungary? The reason not to is not because their leaders are morally better, its because their leaders have more respect for international boundaries, so good luck explaining that distinction on talk radio.

Trump called for regime change in venezuela a few years back, including recognizing some semicredible opposition figure as the legitimate head-of-state. Though that didn't work or help, and it wouldn't in russia either

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

William Bear posted:

Wow, I knew it was expensive, but I just looked it up.

An FGM-148 Javelin Command Launch Unit costs $250,000, and every missile costs another $250,000.

Modern anti-tank weapons are more expensive than an armored Humvee. I guess they're worth it, though.

The Russian tanks that they're fighting are about $2 million to $5 million dollars, maybe more with upgrades and retrofits, so it's definitely worth it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1507573674861289472

e: Full 15 minute video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrwZBFukyw

The second part is wrong. Англичанка гадит is an old Russian saying. It basically means 'England's messing with our affairs'.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As a household with a small child, Russian language children's Youtube is on quite a bit, just because of the algorithm. It would be a shame to lose all that marketshare.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

Johnson's cabinet in general, and Patel in particular, was chosen for being dumb, spiteful and cultishly devoted to the Brexit myth, not because they were savvy political operators.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ummel posted:

That UK secretary is going to have a hard time shaking this off, oof

She's already on shortlists of top dumbest and most hateful politicians in europe, this won't hurt her repution any.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Johnson's cabinet in general, and Patel in particular, was chosen for being dumb, spiteful and cultishly devoted to the Brexit myth, not because they were savvy political operators.

Patel in particular was chosen to be Home Secretary because she is extremely opposed to immigration, which is probably one of the reasons the UK has been so shamefully bad about taking in Ukrainian refugees.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Captain Kosmos posted:

It's big, one journalist who was running an independent news station said that they cant shut down Youtube cause it's so huge, everyone uses it families watch Masha and bear there and that's the only example that I remember, cause my kids also watched Masha and bear, there's also buttload other Russian kids cartoons there. My partner is of Russian ethnicity and most of her family lives in Russia nowadays and she says the same thing, it's just too big. It's the same deal with WhatsApp, even Meta is banned there WhatsApp still works.

Masha & the bear is literally subliminal Soviet propaganda - look at the ribbons and medals hanging on the bear's wall. Being Eastern European, that cartoon also shows up for my kid on the feed but burn it in the loving fire.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Patel in particular was chosen to be Home Secretary because she is extremely opposed to immigration, which is probably one of the reasons the UK has been so shamefully bad about taking in Ukrainian refugees.

Indeed. For those not in the know, Patel goes on immigration raids in her spare time to cheer herself up, and spent some money on her hobby by having special police vest made up that says HOME SECRETARY on it. She also says she'd deport her own parents if they arrived now.

People have said she has a genuine pathological need to say or do the harshest thing she can think of in any situation. She is genuinely not normal.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

This is a pretty bold claim:
https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukraine-retaking-kherson-is-imminent-says-official-50228603.html

quote:

Ukraine’s Armed Forces may liberate and retake Kherson by the end of the day, adviser to the country’s defense minister Markiyan Lubkivskyi told BBC Radio 4 on March 26.

“I think the city (of Kherson) will be fully under the control of Ukrainian military today,” Lubkivskyi said.

If that happens, Russian forces are in even worse state than I thought or they've all but abandoned Kherson. I haven't seen any news indicating such an event, so it will be interesting to see what the situation is tomorrow.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Russia tried funding homegrown alternative to Youtube, Rutube, but, as usual, most of investment was swindled and the result is horribly slow and unpopular service that even "patriots" dont give poo poo about.
We are held back from falling into totalitarian state purely thanks to incompetence of our overlords

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1507813380245053441

Kadyrov scum keep making ridiculous videos of shooting into the air far from any real action.

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Masha & the bear is literally subliminal Soviet propaganda - look at the ribbons and medals hanging on the bear's wall. Being Eastern European, that cartoon also shows up for my kid on the feed but burn it in the loving fire.

The creator was very enthusiastically pro-current war IIRC

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Young Freud posted:

The Russian tanks that they're fighting are about $2 million to $5 million dollars, maybe more with upgrades and retrofits, so it's definitely worth it.

Even at a much worse conversion rate it's still a bad deal for Russia. Russia can't afford to go dollar for dollar with even just the US, let alone all of NATO.