Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

fuctifino posted:

I clicked that link. This was the most recent post (google translated)

Maybe Telegram just doesn't work right for me (or I don't know how the gently caress it works), as the first one I saw was (google translated)

quote:

Even before the escalation of the Russian-Ukrainian war, our unit understood that a full-scale Russian invasion of the rest of Ukraine remained a matter of time, which was accelerated by Putin's unjustified ambition.

Therefore, our fighters, along with rotations in Donetsk region, having combat experience of offensive operations in 2014, continued to improve their knowledge, preparing and practicing important skills of tactical medicine, rules and techniques of combat, developing offensive scenarios and defense strategy.

Even now, in the interval between combat missions, the soldiers of the unit continue to train, practice aiming shots, rules of handling weapons, and so on.

After all, the regularity and quantity of cargo, which our country currently supplies to Russia, depend on this.

and none on the first page are about it. Thanks!

I mostly just wanted the source as I googled it and mostly just found basically the same line repeated from ummm extremely unreputable sites that did nothing but repost whatever random blogs put up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kchama posted:

Maybe Telegram just doesn't work right for me (or I don't know how the gently caress it works), as the first one I saw was (google translated) and none on the first page are about it. Thanks!

I mostly just wanted the source as I googled it and mostly just found basically the same line repeated from ummm extremely unreputable sites that did nothing but repost whatever random blogs put up.

I totally get the 100% need for sources of info, and glad to help.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I feel awful for laughing at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEuJf4k8VU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It also looks like Ukraine made minor gains East and West of Kharvik today, in the 'Russians definitely not making a planned withdrawal' sense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kchama posted:

Maybe I should have specified: Do you have a reliable source for the sentence you posted with zero source? Like, link the actual post or whatever instead of expecting me to sift through it all. Cuz I can't find a post about it.

The last post in the linked channel says that, but I have no idea if it’s their official social media or no.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Considering the... uh... ethics of international sports bodies, I would give them an 80% chance.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Vox Nihili posted:

Giving up a potential negotiating chip and one of their only significant gains seems pretty crazy to me. It's much easier to defend territory than seize it.

What is it you think is easier about trying to hold out in an urban environment where your defensive positions come pre-surrounded by angry locals cracking open their molotov stockpiles?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Mokotow posted:

For one thing, it’d be a significant challenge to shift units from Belarus and northern Ukraine back east.

Edit: to be fair, some Ukr sources are confirming the main russian BTGs are shifting east, leaving behind the conscript Donetsk/Luhansk troops to be grinded.

You got a link about that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don’t think you can be blamed for laughing at something that funny. Then again I’m a lawyer so I have a strong adherence to gallows humor.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

kemikalkadet posted:

Pretty sure America isn't at war with Russia right now.

Sure, sure, and neither is Russia at war with Ukraine. If you prefer, America and the West are in a state of Special Military Operation with Russia. The word you use doesn't change the basic truths guiding both sides' strategy one whit. Limited war would be another word for it. Both sides have their red lines and are doing everything they can on that side of the line to crush the other. It's maybe the closest thing to total war that can occur in our post-nuclear world without triggering MAD. There doesn't need to be a congressional proclamation of war for a state of war to exist.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vox Nihili posted:

Giving up a potential negotiating chip and one of their only significant gains seems pretty crazy to me. It's much easier to defend territory than seize it.

It's not easy to defend when the attacker has civilians texting them your unit positions in real time.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't want to fan the flames of hyper optimism, but it is possible that the russians will be increasingly nervous about a period of ukrainian counter attacks. There's only three crossings on the lower Dnieper, and bridges are fragile things. They might be nervous about the crossings being destroyed, and all the russian troops on the west bank being pocketed between the river and ukrainian forces.

I admit this is completely speculative, and it requires the russian forces to be much weaker than osint suggests, or at least to feel exposed enough that it would make sense for them to abandon those gains. But it doesn't seem very likely now that they have the ability to push on to further goals like Mykolaiv and Odesa, or Kryvyi Rih/Nikopol, and without those, there is not too much advantage to hold the terrain. You are right that it would be a huge setback to lose Kherson, and holding the river crossings is of huge significance.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Magic Underwear posted:

Sure, sure, and neither is Russia at war with Ukraine.

If the US had troops or "special advisors" in Ukraine right now a la Vietnam then you could say the US is at war with Russia but since that isn't true you can't.

What the US/NATO did was give a whole lot of material support and training to Ukraine following 2014. The Ukrainians have been making good use of both in their fight against the Russians.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apologies for trying to expand the conflict, but I was wondering, at what point does the world or even just popular opinion say, gently caress Putin, gently caress his nukes, it’s the worth risk to stop him (either in Ukraine or third country)?

I guess at what point do nukes stop being able to deter a military attack?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

I give it some possibility based off that they have always left "oh they're crazy" on the table as a discovery

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fray posted:

You got a link about that?

@sumydefense on instagram, reposted by DvisH english on Telegram, so nothing journalistic. Very :nms:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Nukes are a great deterrent.

Nukes with ICBM's make them a even better deterrent.

No one is invading Russia unless they use nukes first. And then invasion is a moot point anyways.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Apologies for trying to expand the conflict, but I was wondering, at what point does the world or even just popular opinion say, gently caress Putin, gently caress his nukes, it’s the worth risk to stop him (either in Ukraine or third country)?

Do you know what the D in MAD stands for?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Sorry, but there’s a separate thread for this kind of question. Consult OP.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The point at which the world decides everybody dying is worth stopping thousands from dying.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

Right, that’s why I’m interested if there is a part where risking the D is worth it.

Also I only realized how hilarious that reads after typing it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

sebmojo posted:

Sure, but what do you think the M stands for. It’s never been put to the test really with foreign armies on the soil of a nuclear power, but putting that M together with that D makes it really hard to ever justify first use of strategic nuclear weapons.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
:nms: civilian bodies, fighting, explosions, aftermath Some seriously dark stuff in these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOao41OlzaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3o_1mVl7G4

These are from inside Irpin which is apparently coming under heavy attack, civilians are fleeing and UA forces are fortifying inside for an expected Russian push? At least that's what it seems from the videos, maybe that has changed since then.

Play fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 27, 2022

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Right, that’s why I’m interested if there is a part where risking the D is worth it.

Also I only realized how hilarious that reads after typing it.

The thing is that the A is supposed to mean what it means, so the word "risk" is not entirely appropriate.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Sorry I’m always many pages behind but this particular report of a dead Russian general prompted me to consider the deaths of generals as a barometer for overall casualties. Anyone who thinks that

- Russia doesn’t have lots of dead and wounded AND
- numerous Russian upper ranks have died AND
- Ukraine is under heavy pressure with limited freedom of action

has as some serious inconsistencies to explain away.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Morrow posted:

Biden said nothing wrong. This conflict continues, ceasefire or not, until Putin is out of power.

Yes. He's a war criminal and has been branded as such. Biden didn't say we would oust him. But somebody (a lynch mob or another oligarch who wants his yacht back) certainly should.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The Artificial Kid posted:

Sorry I’m always many pages behind but this particular report of a dead Russian general prompted me to consider the deaths of generals as a barometer for overall casualties. Anyone who thinks that

The fact that so many of them are being murked is not necessarily relational to the (very high) number of Russian soldiers being killed.

Ukraine is putting serious effort into tracking down and killing Russian commanders. Another factor is that Russia is apparently sending generals and other very senior officers to the front lines more than you would typically see because of the poor morale and faltering offensive efforts.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I don't see how the ability to hit a command post with precision artillery precludes significant operational limitations on Ukrainian forces. Their column attempting to relieve Hostomel in the early days was destroyed from the air and while I've seen tweets about them going on the offensive it's less clear if these gains have actually been consolidated, and regardless, moving massed armor puts that group at a significant risk which I'm sure is not lost on UA decision makers. This is even more of an issue east of the Dniper - even if they completely destroy the Russians on the northern axis they still have a lot of ground to move men across.

But yes this has been incredibly deadly for Russian soldiers and brass, turns out the smart move was to surrender to a farmer on day 1

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I lost it at “Nazi-Bosnia and Nazi-Herzgovina”

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groke posted:

The thing is that the A is supposed to mean what it means, so the word "risk" is not entirely appropriate.

I should have also stated I was thinking solely of conventional attack and with that clearly stated.m to the Russians. I can see how wacky it comes off as if you think I mean use nukes.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

People have been in denial of the Russian military struggling in this conflict from the beginning, despite all of the evidence pointing towards Russia taking major loses and having severe logistical and strategic problems. "There's just no way Russia won't win" was a fairly popular talking point but it seems to have finally died down. I never for one moment thought it was going to be easy for Russia, I was pretty confident it would be a costly and difficult war regardless of who would win. Historically military conflicts frequently do not go the way you would expect on paper. Swings of morale, one or two environmental factors, or one or two boneheaded decisions are all that's needed to swing a certain victory to a devastating rout. I don't get why so many were confident in there being only one likely outcome in Russia's favour.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

jmnmu posted:

People have been in denial of the Russian military struggling in this conflict from the beginning, despite all of the evidence pointing towards Russia taking major loses and having severe logistical and strategic problems. "There's just no way Russia won't win" was a fairly popular talking point but it seems to have finally died down. I never for one moment thought it was going to be easy for Russia, I was pretty confident it would be a costly and difficult war regardless of who would win. Historically military conflicts frequently do not go the way you would expect on paper. Swings of morale, one or two environmental factors, or one or two boneheaded decisions are all that's needed to swing a certain victory to a devastating rout. I don't get why so many were confident in there being only one likely outcome in Russia's favour.

I think the people who thought from the outset that Russia would have problems were the hardcore military nerds for whom trucks and forklifts are more exciting then tanks and self propelled artillery.

It's easy for the layperson to look at a chart showing 3000 tanks vs 250 tanks and think the obvious conclusion is that the side with 3000 tanks will win a crushing victory, but it's become apparent to all that there's more that goes into a successful campaign than pure firepower.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1507902750520233986

Small successes on a day without much news. These villages are NW of Mariupol, and east of Hulyaipole if you want to look them up.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

However you calculate Russia's next move, I believe their human losses should not affect those calculations about intent and operations. From the Russian perspective, those losses are sustainable. From their experience, how many you lose really doesn't matter - it's how they fight war. Their war planners do not consider it relevant.

Now, how they replace the fallen, and the quality of those replacements, that definitely has a place in the equation. But the sheer total of their losses doesn't.

Secondly, we don't know how much they have in their warehouses. It's a real unknown.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the popes toes posted:

However you calculate Russia's next move, I believe their human losses should not affect those calculations about intent and operations. From the Russian perspective, those losses are sustainable. From their experience, how many you lose really doesn't matter - it's how they fight war. Their war planners do not consider it relevant.

Now, how they replace the fallen, and the quality of those replacements, that definitely has a place in the equation. But the sheer total of their losses doesn't.

Secondly, we don't know how much they have in their warehouses. It's a real unknown.

As to what they have in their warehouses,

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507657467718684675

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There’s still news outlets like the Washington Post and WSJ that are insisting that Russia could still win this war. So I’m waiting for what the upset is going to be. Maybe at some point UA troops get lured to the borders believing the Russians are retreating and hit a prepared position that annihilates a division.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

a commander committing suicide over the tanks seems to be a little over the top propaganda even by ukrainian standards

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kraftwerk posted:

There’s still news outlets like the Washington Post and WSJ that are insisting that Russia could still win this war. So I’m waiting for what the upset is going to be. Maybe at some point UA troops get lured to the borders believing the Russians are retreating and hit a prepared position that annihilates a division.

"Win" in the sense of end with more square feet of land territory than they started with, maybe

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Concerned Citizen posted:

a commander committing suicide over the tanks seems to be a little over the top propaganda even by ukrainian standards

Better to go out your own way instead of being made an example of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Win could mean a lot of things. What exactly do they suggest?

Concerned Citizen posted:

The suggestion obviously is fear of repercussions for being caught red-handed with grift in this of all times.