Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't see how this could be correct, it seems decently behind previous russian lines with no build up at all with no lead up at all?

Apparently there's another Malynivka in the same oblast just a few kilometers south of Poltavka, so probably not the gains everyone was hoping for.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...39!4d36.4741659

I'm guessing Malynivka is like "Springfield" in Ukrainian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think I speak for us all when I say I want to know how much delivery by submarine costs and if it's cheaper or more expensive than air.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

I think I speak for us all when I say I want to know how much delivery by submarine costs and if it's cheaper or more expensive than air.

I don’t have the messages anymore so I can’t give exact numbers. This was 20 years ago or so. The submarine was more expensive than air delivery. I assume that is because it would be actual smuggling instead of just landing a plane and offloading some cargo. I have no idea though, I didn’t follow up for obvious reasons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Apparently there's another Malynivka in the same oblast just a few kilometers south of Poltavka, so probably not the gains everyone was hoping for.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...39!4d36.4741659

I'm guessing Malynivka is like "Springfield" in Ukrainian.

Google maps finds at least 4 others, and I am limited by the suggestions UI showing 5 things at a time. (And also a Malinovka in Russia which is likely a cognate).

I am guessing it's named after Malyna --- Raspberry --- but as a guess it has a very high chance of being wrong.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cr0y posted:

Was I dreaming or did someone post something in this thread before The invasion even occurred that basically laid out how Russia was going to have major logistics problems that would likely lead to the collapse that we are seeing now? Units have a fixed input and output range where the input is usually gas and the output is usually miles/time, I would think that it's not that difficult to model how this was all going to go down. Maybe I am just naive because I claim residence to a military that has a small country attached to it (usa)

https://nvo.ng.ru/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html

https://www.csis.org/analysis/russias-possible-invasion-ukraine

These were both quite prescient

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Delthalaz posted:

Right but wouldn’t Russian military leaders, who presumably grew up in a country that included Ukraine, be pretty familiar with it?

In fairness, how many New Yorkers know much about a Louisiana summer? Or how many folks from Las Vegas are prepared to handle crossing the Mississippi without a bridge? Or how many Arizonans are prepared for a North Dakota winter? Knowledge of regional weather/terrain patterns and how to deal with them can be pretty localized, especially in a big country (and especially if a lot of your VIPs spend a lot of time in big urban centers and less time in unpleasant wilds).

Though that being said one would think that if you were a military officer in charge of planning an invasion at SOME point you would have at least asked someone what the weather was going to be like and how it might affect the terrain but apparently not.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

Right but wouldn’t Russian military leaders, who presumably grew up in a country that included Ukraine, be pretty familiar with it?

So? Its either you drive on roads and get stuck in a traffic jam or try to force the mud and get stuck in it. Being familiar with mud dorsnt change those two outcomes

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tomn posted:

In fairness, how many New Yorkers know much about a Louisiana summer? Or how many folks from Las Vegas are prepared to handle crossing the Mississippi without a bridge? Or how many Arizonans are prepared for a North Dakota winter? Knowledge of regional weather/terrain patterns and how to deal with them can be pretty localized, especially in a big country (and especially if a lot of your VIPs spend a lot of time in big urban centers and less time in unpleasant wilds).

Though that being said one would think that if you were a military officer in charge of planning an invasion at SOME point you would have at least asked someone what the weather was going to be like and how it might affect the terrain but apparently not.

like 100% of new yorkers can tell you what a louisiana summer is like. hell probably 100% of american who know that louisiana is a state can.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

like 100% of new yorkers can tell you what a louisiana summer is like. hell probably 100% of american who know that louisiana is a state can.

But can they tell you where to get a good etouffee?

Trick question - every etouffee in Louisiana is good. Even the free buffet one at my hotel was good.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Phrased it badly, but knowing about it and being prepared to deal with it are two different things. Or to put it another way, how many visiting New Yorkers get heatstroke or dehydration while they're down there for the first time because they hadn't prepared properly or drank enough water?

"OK, it's pretty hot, so I'll just wear a t-shirt, problem solved, right?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tomn posted:

Phrased it badly, but knowing about it and being prepared to deal with it are two different things. Or to put it another way, how many visiting New Yorkers get heatstroke or dehydration while they're down there for the first time because they hadn't prepared properly or drank enough water?

probably not many? it's only like 6 degrees F hotter on average in the summer in NO than NYC and NYC is a loving hot humid swamp in the summer

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Tomn posted:

It's not like they wouldn't have had plenty of people who would have been willing to give them reports on the conditions too - as much as the events of 2014 hardened views against Russia there would have been enough sympathisers/collaborationists in the country to give the planners very accurate intelligence if they wanted it.

It think it's simply a case that they did not expect to need to do much offroad driving.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tomn posted:

In fairness, how many New Yorkers know much about a Louisiana summer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYZzxZh4E8g&t=51s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

probably not many? it's only like 6 degrees F hotter on average in the summer in NO than NYC and NYC is a loving hot humid swamp in the summer

I take issue with your label of "New Yorker" meaning "Someone from NYC" and not "Someone from NYS."

Not all of NY is a miserable swamp in the summer :colbert:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Tomn posted:

Clueless tourists being clueless is unsurprising. If you are in charge of a military and planning an invasion one key aspect is taking into account climate and terrain. Failing to do so means you very bad at your job.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

KillHour posted:

I take issue with your label of "New Yorker" meaning "Someone from NYC" and not "Someone from NYS."

Not all of NY is a miserable swamp in the summer :colbert:

haha I knew someone was going to mention that, but shh it makes a better point that way. I used to live in one of the areas that NYC people all flocked to to get away from the summers so I can't even claim ignorance about conflating ny with nyc

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tomn posted:

You're really underestimating East Coast summers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tomn posted:

Or how many Arizonans are prepared for a North Dakota winter?
Hah, jokes on you, half of Arizona gets snow every year, and about 1/3rd of it gets quite a bit!

But I agree with your overall post.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You're really underestimating East Coast summers.

I think this may have accidentally proved the point.

See also: me finding out that Oregon does, in fact, get real snow. Boy did that suck.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah to be clear the point isn't bad and imo the mississippi river is the better comparison where it is just a force of nature that either your plans take into account... or they don't. The real mystery of it is that hundreds of thousands of lives and billions of dollars of equipment were put on the line without having at all meaningfully accounted for the effect mud would have.

Otherwise I'm just enjoying calling nyc a humid swamp

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I'm in a weird position where the more my ignorance is shown up the more my point is proven and I don't know how I feel about it. At least I can rely on the Mississippi.

(The...the Mississippi IS actually famously unreliable, right? Right...?)

Owling Howl posted:

Clueless tourists being clueless is unsurprising. If you are in charge of a military and planning an invasion one key aspect is taking into account climate and terrain. Failing to do so means you very bad at your job.

Yeah, that's the second half of my original OP. You'd really think someone would have checked or factored that into calculations somehow.

Comedy answer: Given how many Russians weren't even aware they were invading or in Ukraine "clueless (albeit extremely aggressive) tourists" is not necessarily the worst description of the Russian Army in the first few days. :v:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KillHour posted:

But can they tell you where to get a good etouffee?

Sure they can.

Brooklyn, of course.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Like yeah random guys probably wouldn’t know about mud season, but if you have 8 years to prepare and study the geography and weather patterns and stuff related to war in ukraine, you’d think you’d learn about something important enough for war in the area that it was modeled n HOI 2. The last time there was war in Ukraine.

Re: the argument that they’d be hosed no matter what for invading in mud season, maybe! But they chose this. Why not start your 2 month invasion buildup in April then?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'll cop to thinking that this was pretty much guaranteed to be a russian victory on the field (and then an unwinnable insurgency), but mostly because i was deeply cynical about europe and the us actually managing to care about ukraine. russia has had serious readiness and maintenance issues in their much lower-intensity deployments to syria.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

Like yeah random guys probably wouldn’t know about mud season, but if you have 8 years to prepare and study the geography and weather patterns and stuff related to war in ukraine, you’d think you’d learn about something important enough for war in the area that it was modeled n HOI 2. The last time there was war in Ukraine.

Re: the argument that they’d be hosed no matter what for invading in mud season, maybe! But they chose this. Why not start your 2 month invasion buildup in April then?

I haven't seen a recent pro summary of this yet, but Putin seemed to have a strategy with gas prices going a while back.

quote:

Russia is pumping a lot less natural gas to Europe all of a sudden — and it is not clear why
Published Tue, Aug 24 2021

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/russia-is-pumping-less-natural-gas-to-europe-as-nord-stream-2-nears-completion.html

It speculates that it will give them leverage to get Nord Stream 2 streamlined, but in hindsight it might have been preparations for war. Jack up gas prices, wait for winter when gas consumption is highest, start war, gas prices shoot into the stratosphere and Europe will begrudgingly accept the fait accompli with promises that plenty of gas will soon be flowing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Delthalaz posted:

I'm fairly sure they were under heavy pressure from above to start as soon as possible. And it took some convincing by China that they waited oht the olympics. So you could call it impatience.

But there's also the economic factor. Now that it's spring, the EU nations are much less reliant on the Russian gas, so they could have strangled Russia much more severely from the start.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Delthalaz posted:

They started moving stuff into place in April of 2021. There were stops and starts along the way and I'm sure most didn't know exactly what it was all for but Russia had been gearing up to it for a while.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm assuming Ukraine doesn't have ground crews and pilots for MiG-29s, right? So it might be May before they're in the air. And I don't know much about planes but I understand the MiG-29 is a fighter that started production in 1982. Would this actually make a meaningful impact, or is it more symbolic?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

Then they couldn't do their stupid WW2 larp victory parade on May 9th.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm assuming Ukraine doesn't have ground crews and pilots for MiG-29s, right? So it might be May before they're in the air. And I don't know much about planes but I understand the MiG-29 is a fighter that started production in 1982. Would this actually make a meaningful impact, or is it more symbolic?

They have more than enough for extra planes.

As for the MiG-29, it's what the Ukrainian Air Force would have most familiarity with. Giving them F16s or something would take months to get them retrained, when they can hop into a MiG-29 and fly it out of Poland.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

the Zaporizhzhia arny commander mentioned they could really use more fighter jets to defend against attack helicopters

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Then they couldn't do their stupid WW2 larp victory parade on May 9th.

...so they decided to launch a major invasion in the window between the winter olympics and victory day? Rather than factoring in boring things like, e.g., Mud Season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tree Bucket posted:

...so they decided to launch a major invasion in the window between the winter olympics and victory day? Rather than factoring in boring things like, e.g., Mud Season.

Their believe was that the actual invasion would be over in 2-4 days, which is why the launched it around "peak freeze" (at least that's how it was described at the time) in mid February.

That's the assumption that was terribly wrong.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Djarum posted:

Years ago I was looking for parts for a certain rare firearm. A guy contacted me that was a big arms dealer. I think he thought I was a mercenary or something based on what I was looking for. I basically got quotes for more than I was asking for with the cost of delivery via submarine or air depending on where I was located. Pretty wild stuff.

I have met a few others over the years. A lot of people got rich after the fall of the USSR and later in Iraq and Afghanistan. Remember a lot of small arms never go back home since it is cheaper to just buy new that ship them. They are either left behind or sold to someone. Let's say you are a poor country or under sanctions so no manufacturer will deal with you directly. There is any number of these guys who will supply you with whatever you can afford. Most of the smart ones don't get involved in anywhere that the US or any of the big guns are going to care about so they are left alone.

I feel like this is the plot to the movie Lord of War.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Mud season doesn't matter if you can fly your special forces into important locations and have your general army roll down highways while being greeted as liberators. Most Russian (and some NATO) planners expected Ukraine to fold pretty fast and the people in charge didn't want to upset Putin by presenting a pessimistic view, or Putin himself decided to follow the optimistic plan.

Hell they may have even expected the mud season to play a role in their favour because there'd be no heavy armour striking their supply lines through the countryside.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

My guess they weren't expecting such a quick thaw in late February.

GaussianCopula posted:

Their believe was that the actual invasion would be over in 2-4 days, which is why the launched it around "peak freeze" (at least that's how it was described at the time) in mid February.

That's the assumption that was terribly wrong.

Someone didn't factor in climate change bringing the mud season early. And then that freak cold snap after they've got tanks bogged down in now-frozen mud and soldiers who lost or abandoned their cold weather gear after their transports got hit getting frostbite.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I mean, the plan seemed to be, land in Kiev, install a new government, maybe shoot some stuff at the border in the meantime, demoralized Ukrainian army units defect and drive showing how great you are. You don't need crisp weather for that, especially since you're going to be driving on highways.

Beaten like the VDV landings in Hostomel.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 27, 2022

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The F-16 started production in 1978. And the Ukrainian Air Force already flies a number of Mig-29s - it’s like half their existing stock of planes. They shouldn’t have problems operating them if they get them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

I'd guess the dates of the invasion were forced politically with most of the analysis from the military intelligence side ignored.

I bet that starting the war the next day after national holiday of February 23 (the day of armed forces or rather the designated Man Day) and ending it prior to the anniversary of Crinea annexation looked really good to Russian leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Another aspect of underestimating mud season is that this was not at all going to be tank maneuver warfare, it was going to be a highway rush to the big cities, seize power, deploy police (who got hosed up) to calm unrest, fait accompli accomplished.