Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

Nah they're Kramering in to post about a totally different forums user's experience but this is a very real dynamic of the conflict. Syrian and Libyan refugees who are getting their boats turned around in the Mediterranean have a right to compare their experience with the welcome Ukranian refugees are getting in Europe and be a bit bitter.

You're right, but like, did anyone poo poo on syrian refugees here? It's ok to care about multiple things. That post has the exact same energy as some tankie from Indianopolis rushing in to explain "well, Russia also has legitimate security interests in the aggressive NATO takeover, but you people wouldn't understand" as if it's relevant, let alone new, information. Just fyi heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1508092189313839115

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sir, this is Uncle Vanya's.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

For you to understand why people will be dunking on you:

There are millions of refugees in the world right now, living in horrible conditions, being mistreated on the reg. This is especially true for people from Syria, Mid-East, Maghreb that look like something most Europeans detest. It's a real problem and these people are mistreated also in Poland and Ukraine.
Now that there are White and Christian refugees, suddenly Europeans are very happy to help refugees (especially Eastern Europe, but similarly Western Europe), while there enough Mid-Eastern people still suffering. And literally weeks before, one heard "we can't possibly take in ANY MORE refugees. We are full - at the end of our means!!!!111"

On the backdrop of this, your post reads like you concluded that our limited resources - now that Ukranians are well taken care off - should go towards their pets next (rather than Syrian children).
I know it's not what you mean, but it reads like it.

One of the most jarring experiences for people without "Judeo-Christian heritage" (aka white skin color) in the recent weeks are again and again instances of tone-deafness - even if this is not at all what you personally had in mind.

Again, just fyi.

Nobody’s going to be dunking on them when there’s a person ranting about Syrian refugees when somebody’s talking about adopting a cat.

Just fyi.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Torturing and shooting POWs is obviously horrible and a war crime. I believe it is real and the Ukrainian government needs to get this under control ASAP. In a war like this it can't be avoided entirely, on either side, but the government needs to take a firm stance and make that clear to their forces.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Ukranian army does not directly control every phone of every soldier and territorial militia member; some fucker filming his warcrimes and that video leaking to Russian propaganda network was inevitable.

I don't think it's leaking exactly. Soldiers seem to share horrific videos like that in open telegram channels, and they get spread from there. All Russia needs to do is monitor a handful of bigger aggregator channels.

Russia appears to only allow Kadyrov's TikTok warriors to have phones, plus some soldiers managed to smuggle a phones or loot one in Ukraine to call home. On one hand, it means Russia doesn't really have a lot in terms of on the ground propaganda with blown-up Ukrainian tanks, etc., compared to Ukraine. Russian MoD mostly shares videos from, like, actual helicopter/drone cameras and such. So if you go by video evidence alone, Russia is barely inflicting any losses on Ukraine, which is, unfortunately, not exactly true, but it gives Ukraine upper hand in psyops. On the other hand, Russian soldiers can't film their own war crimes and share them on VK as future evidence, and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not in this situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That's reassuring. Given that Russia will probably fail to allow any of their troops to be tried unless they become POWs....

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

celewign posted:

People empathize best with other people that look similar to them, news at 11

it's racism op

Edit:
(and although not news, one of the saddest things about the current state of Europe, and the current crisis throws this fact into a very sharp relief. The people who don't think this is newsworthy, are part of the problem)

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 27, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Another small success on a slow news day:

Trostyanets is south of Sumy.

Very small city, but still nice to see. Really close to the Russian border, too. I wonder if they've made other gains near Kyiv or Kharkiv since then.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Those people have shelled countless buildings and are responsible for dozens of deaths, they got off easy. Obviously the legshooters need to get prosecuted later on, but it could've gone a lot worse for the artillerymen. Sadly people can't just turn off their emotions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When encouraging evacuation it is important to evacuate pets also because people who can't leave with their pets stay for their pets and get killed.

Yeah, I remember this being a reason for the revamping of a lot rules w/r/t pets and emergency shelters, at least after Katrina in the US.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

For you to understand why people will be dunking on you:

There are millions of refugees in the world right now, living in horrible conditions, being mistreated on the reg. This is especially true for people from Syria, Mid-East, Maghreb that look like something most Europeans detest. It's a real problem and these people are mistreated also in Poland and Ukraine.
Now that there are White and Christian refugees, suddenly Europeans are very happy to help refugees (especially Eastern Europe, but similarly Western Europe), while there enough Mid-Eastern people still suffering. And literally weeks before, one heard "we can't possibly take in ANY MORE refugees. We are full - at the end of our means!!!!111"

On the backdrop of this, your post reads like you concluded that our limited resources - now that Ukranians are well taken care off - should go towards their pets next (rather than Syrian children).
I know it's not what you mean, but it reads like it.

One of the most jarring experiences for people without "Judeo-Christian heritage" (aka white skin color) in the recent weeks are again and again instances of tone-deafness - even if this is not at all what you personally had in mind.

Again, just fyi.

Jesus, what a post.

Q:"I wanna adopt a Ukranian cat"

"YOURE A RACIST poo poo AND DESERVE NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT WHAT ABOUT THE STARVING PEOPLE OF SYRIA :qq:"

like holy lolly get a grip.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1508077425086849036

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1508077616414273536

https://twitter.com/robinbrooksiif/status/1507711986607730693

English version in replies.
https://twitter.com/cornelia_woll/status/1506520807199154178

Good lord.
https://twitter.com/olivernmoody/status/1507331807049568257

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah I'm a loving idiot. Sorry for the derail. Thanks for the input all. I'll keep trying to do what I can. It's hard all round for everyone so I don't blame anyone for dunking on me.

Now back to the actual topic of the thread!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This seems like a nonsensical thing to do even ignoring Putin's statements about not wanting conscripts

"Surely it will do wonders for our army's morale if we specifically conscript anti-war protesters"

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
A propos of animal rescue, here's a vanful of kangaroos that made the rounds yesterday:

https://twitter.com/avalaina/status/1507732098936983555?t=UyR62noz7huaIjWJrQ6MPA&s=19

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mebh posted:

Yeah I'm a loving idiot. Sorry for the derail. Thanks for the input all. I'll keep trying to do what I can. It's hard all round for everyone so I don't blame anyone for dunking on me.

Now back to the actual topic of the thread!

PM sent

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Haramstufe Rot posted:

it's racism op

Edit:
(and although not news, one of the saddest things about the current state of Europe, and the current crisis throws this fact into a very sharp relief. The people who don't think this is newsworthy, are part of the problem)

It's not newsworthy, dumbass. Either people are already aware of and appalled by the contrast, or they're racist and think it's good. You're not some bigbrain genius who just noticed.

Owling Howl posted:

Torturing and shooting POWs is obviously horrible and a war crime. I believe it is real and the Ukrainian government needs to get this under control ASAP. In a war like this it can't be avoided entirely, on either side, but the government needs to take a firm stance and make that clear to their forces.

Yeah that video really got to me. I was bystander to a terrorist attack in France that left a lot of mangled legs so maybe it's a trigger, but gently caress. I understand the ukrainians' desire for vengeance though. And frankly, I trust the UA side to actually prosecute war criminals when this poo poo is done. RF side would be explaining how every victim was a Biden-compromised nazi azov pmc spec ops agent.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2022

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

a podcast for cats posted:

A propos of animal rescue, here's a vanful of kangaroos that made the rounds yesterday:

https://twitter.com/avalaina/status/1507732098936983555?t=UyR62noz7huaIjWJrQ6MPA&s=19

Read that as " vengeful kangaroos " and was expecting something much different.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

This seems like a nonsensical thing to do even ignoring Putin's statements about not wanting conscripts

"Surely it will do wonders for our army's morale if we specifically conscript anti-war protesters"

I suspect the idea is to cast them in irons for either resisting conscription, or disobeying orders.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

It's a means of intimidation and punishment

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Jesus, what a post.

Q:"I wanna adopt a Ukranian cat"

"YOURE A RACIST poo poo AND DESERVE NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT WHAT ABOUT THE STARVING PEOPLE OF SYRIA :qq:"

like holy lolly get a grip.

sorry for throwing shade on your little feel good party, but the situation is poo poo. After all, the majority of political parties and populace in Europe were convinced that we were so filled and strained by refugees, that we had to play pong with real people on the borders and seas of Europe. The resulting death and misery of tens of thousands being par for the course.
And now, it turns out, this is not the case at all. Tens of thousands of refugees were transported, housed and fed within hours of arriving at our local train station. And there is no strain at all.

I understand you have trouble making the connection, and why the utter privilege of trying to rescue even loving cats from Ukraine would raise an eyebrow. However, the whole situation screams of hypocrisy and is enraging, at least for me. This one of the most dismal failures of the EU towards in principles yet, and even such little things may remind *some people* of the incredibly amount of racism that's institutionalized and legitimized by the people here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not newsworthy, dumbass. Either people are already aware of and appalled by the contrast, or they're racist and think it's good. You're not some bigbrain genius who just noticed.

in fact it should be pointed out much more often

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 27, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It is particularly funny insofar as the Imperial Russia they seek to recreate literally did the same thing, only to find out they'd accidentally made their own army a center of leftist organization that then successfully overthrew their government.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Treating your army like a prison not as profession or a honorable duty seems rear end backwards for a country with superpower aspirations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Haramstufe Rot posted:

sorry for throwing shade on your little feel good party, but the situation is poo poo. After all, the majority of political parties and populace in Europe were convinced that we were so filled and strained by refugees, that we had to play pong with real people on the borders and seas of Europe. The resulting death and misery of tens of thousands being par for the course.
And now, it turns out, this is not the case at all. Tens of thousands of refugees were transported, housed and fed within hours of arriving at our local train station. And there is no strain at all.

I understand you have trouble making the connection, and why the utter privilege of trying to rescue even loving cats from Ukraine would raise an eyebrow. However, the whole situation screams of hypocrisy and is enraging, at least for me. This one of the most dismal failures of the EU towards in principles yet, and even such little things may remind *some people* of the incredibly amount of racism that's institutionalized and legitimized by the people here.

Jesus goyim christ on a cracker as someone who went into debt to help with this poo poo can you shut the gently caress up. The feel good party here is your smug rear end throwing it for yourself. Thank god we have Haramstufe Rot to explain how everyone but them is dumb, hypocritical, and racist, everyone is so, so happy to be enlightened.

Go loving do something for syrian refugees if you care so very bravely much.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 27, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

fatherboxx posted:

Treating your army like a prison not as profession or a honorable duty seems rear end backwards for a country with superpower aspirations.

The Nazi battalions morale just ain't what it used to be

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

At least it's based on a correct description of reality :v:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I don't even like Biden but what is the big deal about calling it as it is that Putin's an unstable world actor and probably has to be removed? loving groveling about oil and gas deals with him goes nowhere, Macron's Very Productive Talks have done Jack poo poo. The dude clearly only respects strength because he's like if an MRA/ Alpha-Beta dude took over a country and indoctrinated its populous.

If we aren't willing to remotely call him out for his poo poo besides economic sanctions, use none of our now much more vast soft powe of sabre rattling, and just act like everything can go back to normal of Russia manipulating the far right into positions of power throughout the world again, then Western democracies as a project have already loving failed.

A reminder Russia promotes global conspiracy theories on a daily-hourly basis about Jews running the world and all their enemies are Nazis and pedophiles that must be destroyed, and we tut tut about "hey this guy who is definitely unstable is doing heinous poo poo". Just stupid floundering for no reason. They don't take those "threats" seriously: it's an entire regime built on bad faith arguments just to win.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 27, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Won't somebody think about the real people hurt in all this? The Oligarchs!

https://twitter.com/snipeyhead/status/1508092235748892677?s=20&t=GqsEe-og1-gNwiX1BneYKQ

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jesus goyim christ on a cracker as someone who went into debt to help with this poo poo can you shut the gently caress up. The feel good party here is your smug rear end throwing it for yourself. Thank god we have Haramstufe Rot to explain how everyone but them is dumb, hypocritical, and racist, everyone is so, so happy to be enlightened.

Sometimes it’s less about being a champion for good causes and more about finding an opportunity to be abusive with a veneer of plausible deniability.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Haramstufe Rot posted:

in fact it should be pointed out much more often

Jesus loving christ, shut up you idiot. And this is coming from a guy who got arrested for helping syrian refugees, so go eat a multitude of cocks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/snipeyhead/status/1508092235748892677?s=20&t=GqsEe-og1-gNwiX1BneYKQ

We need to start deporting all the Russian oligarchs and their families to Kharkiv.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

On like day 2 of the war someone posted about how upper middle-class Russians were concerned that they would have difficulty hiring nannies from "near abroad" with all the sanctions.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1508092951997595650?s=20&t=FE9FobHXEpn7N-WsbBCFDg

I mean, it's why conspiracy theories are so dumb.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CommieGIR posted:

That follow up was superb. I just about chocked.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

It makes sense when you realize that virtually every war of choice is fought due to internal politics. Starting a war as in order to undermine your political enemies is a common goal. Sending those filthy traitor peaceniks to die on the front is practically a wet dream among your typical authoritarian types.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Go loving do something for syrian refugees if you care so very bravely much.

You're the problem, op.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If a saber makes a rattling sound when shaken it’s probably a lovely saber imo

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Mean corrupt Ukrainian politicians taking advantage of poor noble FSB agents.

How much of the “set up a shadow cabal ready to take over” budget got spent on FSB dachas you think? 99%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: Shut up about an individual’s charity preference. :siren:
This got buried at the bottom of the last page I think.

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't even like Biden but what is the big deal about calling it as it is that Putin's an unstable world actor and probably has to be removed? loving groveling about oil and gas deals with him goes nowhere, Macron's Very Productive Talks have done Jack poo poo. The dude clearly only respects strength because he's like if an MRA/ Alpha-Beta dude took over a country and indoctrinated its populous.

If we aren't willing to remotely call him out for his poo poo besides economic sanctions, use none of our now much more vast soft powe of sabre rattling, and just act like everything can go back to normal of Russia manipulating the far right into positions of power throughout the world again, then Western democracies as a project have already loving failed.
Saying he needs to be ousted has policy implications, which would be unhelpful to say the least, and not just it terms of potential escalation. At some point we're likely to see a negotiated settlement to this loving mess in which the US is likely going to be playing a very big part. Except the US can't play any kind of constructive role that process if it commits to a policy of "gently caress you, go get Ghaddafied. Regime change now." Not to mention the fact that Putin's not exactly going anywhere no matter whatever pronouncements the US makes.

There's a reason both the WH and Blinken are walking it back so aggressively.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 27, 2022