Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

This seems like a nonsensical thing to do even ignoring Putin's statements about not wanting conscripts

"Surely it will do wonders for our army's morale if we specifically conscript anti-war protesters"

It sounds precisely like something an fascist boomer would suggest. It'll toughen them up etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Haramstufe Rot posted:

sorry for throwing shade on your little feel good party, but the situation is poo poo.

One of the most toxic, disintegrating pressures I see tear down the genuine good will of various, very usable charity initiative is this general blend of variative castigation. Like we'd try to keep up charitable good will income for city projects for at-risk youth and once you got enough engagement with various groups you'd get into the hairier idpol types and bam there would always be someone who has to open their fat mouth at exactly the wrong time about that you need to check that you're "only" donating to the relatively affluent vs. Myanmar refugees or whatever. I do not know how it keeps ending up sounding so reliably patterned, but this type of angle doesn't really help. I've watched it too many times now.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ola posted:

It sounds precisely like something an fascist boomer would suggest. It'll toughen them up etc.

This is what they did with bolsheviks during WWI. It turned out to be a bad idea.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

Treating your army like a prison not as profession or a honorable duty seems rear end backwards for a country with superpower aspirations.

It happens all over the place. Judges in the US, Canada and all over Europe will give people the option of prison or military service. It is lovely and shouldn’t be done in my opinion anywhere. You get people that are forced to join because they don’t want to go to prison not because they want to be a soldier. Often times they are pretty awful at the job too since they are doing it to avoid prison so COs have to keep an extra eye on them especially in training which makes it harder on everyone else involved too.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ola posted:

Not to you specifically, but to anyone who wants this to be verified properly, you don't have to see it for yourself if you don't want to. It will be taken seriously by whichever authority it is that will take these things seriously when this is over.

Well said. :tipshat:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Djarum posted:

It happens all over the place. Judges in the US, Canada and all over Europe will give people the option of prison or military service. It is lovely and shouldn’t be done in my opinion anywhere. You get people that are forced to join because they don’t want to go to prison not because they want to be a soldier. Often times they are pretty awful at the job too since they are doing it to avoid prison so COs have to keep an extra eye on them especially in training which makes it harder on everyone else involved too.

Lol this is hardly true the whole go to war or go to jail poo poo. Maybe in Canada but the practice in the US is non existent save for a few very small local judiciaries

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't even like Biden but what is the big deal about calling it as it is that Putin's an unstable world actor and probably has to be removed? loving groveling about oil and gas deals with him goes nowhere, Macron's Very Productive Talks have done Jack poo poo. The dude clearly only respects strength because he's like if an MRA/ Alpha-Beta dude took over a country and indoctrinated its populous.

If we aren't willing to remotely call him out for his poo poo besides economic sanctions, use none of our now much more vast soft powe of sabre rattling, and just act like everything can go back to normal of Russia manipulating the far right into positions of power throughout the world again, then Western democracies as a project have already loving failed.

A reminder Russia promotes global conspiracy theories on a daily-hourly basis about Jews running the world and all their enemies are Nazis and pedophiles that must be destroyed, and we tut tut about "hey this guy who is definitely unstable is doing heinous poo poo". Just stupid floundering for no reason. They don't take those "threats" seriously: it's an entire regime built on bad faith arguments just to win.

I don't think it's any secret that everyone wants Putin to be gone along with his imperialist henchmen. But when the POTUS says things it can have Consequences©. So Putin and his party have to go? Logically it follows that Biden then supports Russian opposition. Which I'm sure he does, but saying that aloud gives Putin an excuse to target the opposition even more openly as enemy agents.

Besides, at current rate Putin is not going away and will have to be negotiated with if there is any intention to have a negotiated outcome to the war he started. It doesn't make sense to say he has to go, and then accept him as a partner in negotiations. Worst case is this kind of messaging could hamper future negotiations, though I doubt one off mark speech is quite that harmful. But it would be unwise for USA to make this a habit unless they really are ready to make the removal of Putin and bringing him to the Hague an official policy goal.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Haramstufe Rot posted:

sorry for throwing shade on your little feel good party, but the situation is poo poo. After all, the majority of political parties and populace in Europe were convinced that we were so filled and strained by refugees, that we had to play pong with real people on the borders and seas of Europe. The resulting death and misery of tens of thousands being par for the course.
And now, it turns out, this is not the case at all. Tens of thousands of refugees were transported, housed and fed within hours of arriving at our local train station. And there is no strain at all.

I understand you have trouble making the connection, and why the utter privilege of trying to rescue even loving cats from Ukraine would raise an eyebrow. However, the whole situation screams of hypocrisy and is enraging, at least for me. This one of the most dismal failures of the EU towards in principles yet, and even such little things may remind *some people* of the incredibly amount of racism that's institutionalized and legitimized by the people here.

in fact it should be pointed out much more often

The person was already planning to adopt a cat, not a child

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Djarum posted:

Given how lovely American prisons are, getting military service instead sounds like a mercy, at least so long as there isn't an active war on.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Seems like evidence of forced deportations is mounting:
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1507947330992963586

There also seem to be accusations of ICRC involvement floating around Ukrainian Twitter. As far as I can see it's based on Russian Red Cross's potential involvement with that in other parts of Donbass, though ICRC head recently meeting with loving Lavrov doesn't exactly encourage trust.

There are also screenshots floating around of ICRC website allegedly listing those actions that have supposedly since been removed, but the second part makes it rather hard to tell if they were ever there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

There also seem to be accusations of ICRC involvement floating around Ukrainian Twitter. As far as I can see it's based on Russian Red Cross's potential involvement with that in other parts of Donbass, though ICRC head recently meeting with loving Lavrov doesn't exactly encourage trust.

There are also screenshots floating around of ICRC website allegedly listing those actions that have supposedly since been removed, but the second part makes it rather hard to tell if they were ever there.

Have you checked respective website pages in various internet archives?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
According to the Russian human rights group Memorial, "by the most modest estimations", the overall number of those having passed through the established and ad hoc "filtration points" reaches at least 200,000 people (out of Chechnya's population of less than one million), of whom "practically all" have been subjected to beatings and torture, and some were summarily executed. According to Memorial, the purpose of the "filtration" system in Chechnya, besides being part of the general state terror system for suppression and intimidation of the population, was to create a network of informers through the enforced recruitation, and was characterised by its non-selectivity, that is by arbitrary arrests and mass detentions of innocent people.[1]
""

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Haramstufe Rot posted:

sorry for throwing shade on your little feel good party, but the situation is poo poo. After all, the majority of political parties and populace in Europe were convinced that we were so filled and strained by refugees, that we had to play pong with real people on the borders and seas of Europe. The resulting death and misery of tens of thousands being par for the course.
And now, it turns out, this is not the case at all. Tens of thousands of refugees were transported, housed and fed within hours of arriving at our local train station. And there is no strain at all.

I understand you have trouble making the connection, and why the utter privilege of trying to rescue even loving cats from Ukraine would raise an eyebrow. However, the whole situation screams of hypocrisy and is enraging, at least for me. This one of the most dismal failures of the EU towards in principles yet, and even such little things may remind *some people* of the incredibly amount of racism that's institutionalized and legitimized by the people here.

in fact it should be pointed out much more often

On the other hand it is quite advantageous for Middle Eastern powers like say, Turkey, that people care less about the people they torment and explode. Even the Christian ones!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol this is hardly true the whole go to war or go to jail poo poo. Maybe in Canada but the practice in the US is non existent save for a few very small local judiciaries

I have several friends growing up who had it happen to them in the US. Granted this was the 99-04 but it still happens today all over. Often times it is "strongly encouraged" by prosecution to get them to drop the charges but it is still a practice that happens all over the US, mostly targeting lower class people.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nail Rat posted:

The person was already planning to adopt a cat, not a child

So adopt a cat locally instead of wasting hundreds of pounds getting someone to risk their life capturing one in a war zone in Ukraine and putting them on a plane to ship to the UK.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So adopt a cat locally instead of wasting hundreds of pounds getting someone to risk their life capturing one in a war zone in Ukraine and putting them on a plane to ship to the UK.

Get a grip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

BigRoman posted:

I am familiar with the Russo-Ukrainian historical beef, and the Polish-Ukrainian historical beef, but am unfamiliar with the historical beef between Hungary and Ukraine. Is it just about territorial dispute of Zakarpattia? Did Ukrainian partisans do something horrible to the Hungarians in WW2? Or is this a "Lviv was a jewel in the Austro-Hungarian empire" deal?

The Hungarian-Ukrainian beef goes back to the ancient days of 2017 when Ukraine passed an education law that made Ukrainian the required language of study in state schools from the fifth grade on. Orban's government gave all ethnic Hungarians abroad voting rights in the Hungarian parliamentary elections. So pretending to care about them is mandatory.

Hungary has been blocking Ukraine's NATO membership since 2017 citing this as the reason.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 27, 2022

fnox
May 19, 2013

I don’t think it’s particularly helpful to point out the 2015 refugee crisis in this context anyway. Yes the obvious racism and racist connotations that existed then aren’t anywhere near as present now. But I mean, give it time and populists are going to find something to demonize the Ukrainians with. The countries that really raised a stink about refugees, namely Poland and Hungary, pretty much have no choice now but to process those refugees.

Per the Dublin regulation, which Hungary and Poland previously used to renounce its claim to process Syrian refugees, they’re now the first point of entry to the EU for Ukrainian refugees. Which means they have to at the very least process their asylum requests.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Thoughtless posted:

Those people have shelled countless buildings and are responsible for dozens of deaths, they got off easy. Obviously the legshooters need to get prosecuted later on, but it could've gone a lot worse for the artillerymen. Sadly people can't just turn off their emotions.

And deaths beyond the initial shelling. The Russians are deploying rocket-scattered anti-personnel mines around Kharkiv to deter farming...
https://twitter.com/motytchak/status/1508098611174858756?s=20&t=44CTTIT-42ljBbaM-fVfWw

Ikasuhito posted:

That follow up was superb. I just about chocked.

Yeah, rare to see a financial news publication to just roast a subject of that level of income. Also, totally deserving, that dude is a loving worm.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Staluigi posted:

One of the most toxic, disintegrating pressures I see tear down the genuine good will of various, very usable charity initiative is this general blend of variative castigation. Like we'd try to keep up charitable good will income for city projects for at-risk youth and once you got enough engagement with various groups you'd get into the hairier idpol types and bam there would always be someone who has to open their fat mouth at exactly the wrong time about that you need to check that you're "only" donating to the relatively affluent vs. Myanmar refugees or whatever. I do not know how it keeps ending up sounding so reliably patterned, but this type of angle doesn't really help. I've watched it too many times now.

This is a good post.

I've worked for a few charities and this is bang on the money

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

If ICRC is involved (and ICRC involvement is desirable) shouldn't there be some transparency to what is going on? Getting the Red Cross involved in torture and kidnapping / trafficking camps would be a very worrying development undermining the credibility of a crucial actor in humanitarian efforts, so it's a claim that should be properly investigated before reaching such extraordinary claims.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 27, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

marxismftw posted:

Get a grip.

Clearly it’s me who needs a grip on reality for suggesting to adopt one of the literal thousands if not tens of thousands of homeless cats already available to the OP locally instead of expending a considerable amount of capital and Human Resources to relocating a random cat from abroad, not to mention the environmental impacts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Staluigi posted:

One of the most toxic, disintegrating pressures I see tear down the genuine good will of various, very usable charity initiative is this general blend of variative castigation.

It's precisely so those people don't have to actually do anything themselves, because no cause is pure enough to be worthy of their time and money, and would besmirch their impeccable leftist credentials. Only posting is praxis.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Regarding the International Red Cross, the more I read about these guys, the shittier they come off. Apparently they are involved with these reception centers in Russia for people hijacked from Ukraine, and the head of the Russian Red Cross is photographed being super chummy with Russian politicians.

During the Belarus border crisis in Poland, the Polish branch if RC refused to deploy any help to the border, describing it as a political issue, this out of the IRCs purview. They have a swanky office in downtown Warsaw, they’re ran by some ancient dude and they’re doing gently caress all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Clearly it’s me who needs a grip on reality for suggesting to adopt one of the literal thousands if not tens of thousands of homeless cats already available to the OP locally instead of expending a considerable amount of capital and Human Resources to relocating a random cat from abroad, not to mention the environmental impacts.

Noone is saying that, there are actual pets coming with actual refugees who needs a place to stay because not all refugee shelters are pet-friendly. This is a thing.

But enough of this derail. Sorry for posting in it, I just don't want people being made to feel bad for trying to help no matter what.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Aertuun posted:

The slow supply of gas during 2021 hadn't occurred to me, but in hindsight is quite striking.

So at the start of December 2021, Michael Kofman did a fantastic analysis of what was happening in Ukraine, and also predicted with pretty much 100% accuracy what would happen. Including the invasion start date.

https://mwi.usma.edu/mwi-podcast-a-looming-showdown-over-ukraine/
Yeah, MWI has some high-quality work behind it. That particular podcast was very good; I remember listening to it in late January/early February.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Mokotow posted:

Regarding the International Red Cross, the more I read about these guys, the shittier they come off. Apparently they are involved with these reception centers in Russia for people hijacked from Ukraine, and the head of the Russian Red Cross is photographed being super chummy with Russian politicians.

During the Belarus border crisis in Poland, the Polish branch if RC refused to deploy any help to the border, describing it ad a political issue, this out of the IRCs purview. They have a swanky office in downtown Warsaw, they’re ran by some ancient dude and they’re doing gently caress all.

I'm wary of the Red Cross in general, as there has been plenty of scandals in my country of Red Cross funds being misused by staff. I think Medecins Sans Frontiers have a better reputation in general.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Some dramatic photos from Kyiv by Finnish YLE.

quote:

Yle in Kiev: Pavel had a long career in the Soviet Navy - now he lost his home in a Russian air strike

Deserted streets, air alarms and checkpoints are reminiscent of the war in the center of Kiev. In places, you will find buildings completely destroyed in Russian airstrikes.

KYIV Pavel is trying to get his life in order on the outskirts of Kiev's city center.

It’s impossible because the wall of his duo is completely missing. It collapsed in a Russian air strike.

- There was a whistle and then it exploded. I turned to my brother and shouted: Are you alive? Pavel says.

As a miracle trade, both Pavel and his brother survived with slight damage from the attack that destroyed the three-story apartment building.

The person in the garbage can instead died. It is still unclear whether the man or woman died. The body was mutilated so badly that gender could not be ascertained.

Vinohradar is a residential area on the outskirts of the center of Kiev, which is not the front line of war. It is unclear why Russia decided to strike right here.

- I shouted to my brother to look for identity papers, we have to escape, Pavel says about the horrible morning.

In the heart of Kiev, most of the buildings are in order, but where Russia has been hit, the destruction is complete.

The fierce fighting in Kiev is on the outskirts of the city in the southwest, northeast and east. Russia, on the other hand, strikes the center of Kiev from afar, mainly with missiles and rockets.

The Obolon shopping center in Retroville gives an example of the devastation of a missile strike. There is little left of the mall and the adjoining apartment building.

"We will win this war"
In the ruins of his home, Pavel goes through his fiction. The works of mostly Russian writers have remained intact.

- Russia wants to destroy us, even though almost all of my books are works by Russian writers, Pavel sneezes.

He served for more than twenty years in the Soviet Navy. Yet he will never forgive Russia.

- We will win this war. Their soldiers are just boys. Our troops have been practicing war against Russia in eastern Ukraine for eight years.

Pavel calls for the closure of airspace, like virtually all Ukrainians.

- We depend on the support of our western friends. The sky is still open. If we get a lot of arms aid, we will win this war quickly, says Pavel.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 27, 2022

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

steinrokkan posted:

If ICRC is involved (and ICRC involvement is desirable) shouldn't there be some transparency to what is going on? Getting the Red Cross involved in torture and kidnapping / trafficking camps would be a very worrying development undermining the credibility of a crucial actor in humanitarian efforts, so it's a claim that should be properly investigated before reaching such extraordinary claims.

Ukraine is upset that ICRC is opening an office in Rostov-on-Don, near the Russia refugee/filtration camps. Russia is saying people are willingly going through to their camps to get off the front lines, and Ukraine is alleging people are being forcibly deported, having their Ukrainian papers destroyed, and then sent on trains to remote areas further into Russia. Ukraine feels that ICRC opening an office there legitimizes what Russia is doing, while ICRC has been clear they do not have confirmation that there are any forced evacuations at all, and that regardless they are only there to provide aid where possible to victims of the war.

To my knowledge, Ukraine hasn't yet provided any evidence that the forced deportations or filtration camps story is true. The US government has not confirmed it either.

quote:

The ICRC told Reuters it had no 'first-hand' information about reports of forced evacuations to Russia from Ukraine and that it did not facilitate any such operations.

"Our priority is to reach victims of armed conflict, wherever they are, in order to assist them," the ICRC said.

Rostov-on-Don is the largest Russian city on Ukraine's eastern border and administrative capital of the Rostov region, which has been used by Russia for temporary accommodation camps for people transported out of the war zone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lilljonas posted:

I'm wary of the Red Cross in general, as there has been plenty of scandals in my country of Red Cross funds being misused by staff. I think Medecins Sans Frontiers have a better reputation in general.

MSF got kicked out by the Russians from Luhansk a while back since their presence made it harder for the bandits to abuse the vulnerable population.

(I think there was some scandal involving them somewhere as well, though).

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Yea no countries hemming and hawing to infinity about welcoming middle eastern refugees, while welcoming Ukrainian ones with open arms, should be called out. We're talking about the refugee policies of major nations, not local charity groups. I want Syrian, Palestinian, Lybian etc refugees treated with that same level of respect and care that the Ukranian ones are, and the only reason they're not is because of naked, systemic racism.

"They're not refugees, they're white!" is a really, really gross sentiment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
MSF and Red Cross aren't comparable at all, though, the Red Cross is basically a fixture of international law, a lifeline between different sides in armed conflict in addition to "just" being a humanitarian org. I would be incredulous to any claims it's in cahoots with Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Monarch posted:

Yea no countries hemming and hawing to infinity about welcoming middle eastern refugees, while welcoming Ukrainian ones with open arms, should be called out. We're talking about the refugee policies of major nations, not local charity groups. I want Syrian, Palestinian, Lybian etc refugees treated with that same level of respect and care that the Ukranian ones are, and the only reason they're not is because of naked, systemic racism.

"They're not refugees, they're white!" is a really, really gross sentiment.

You're more than welcome to talk about policies of major nations – especially in the threads about respective nations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Double post

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1508120114536792072?s=20&t=aJv74x6sSTwzitvBnlQRbw

This is fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

Ukraine is upset that ICRC is opening an office in Rostov-on-Don, near the Russia refugee/filtration camps. Russia is saying people are willingly going through to their camps to get off the front lines, and Ukraine is alleging people are being forcibly deported, having their Ukrainian papers destroyed, and then sent on trains to remote areas further into Russia. Ukraine feels that ICRC opening an office there legitimizes what Russia is doing, while ICRC has been clear they do not have confirmation that there are any forced evacuations at all, and that regardless they are only there to provide aid where possible to victims of the war.

To my knowledge, Ukraine hasn't yet provided any evidence that the forced deportations or filtration camps story is true. The US government has not confirmed it either.
I've no idea if the whole thing is true, haven't seen evidence either way.

But it would be very consistent with what russia is trying to achieve and historically has done. Deport Ukrainians somewhere far away, move in some loyalist, have a referendum, etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1508126348753219587

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1508121673052131341

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Staluigi posted:

I found this insightful, as I clearly misjudged the post, the situation, the tone of my reply. I think got angry at that post as proxy for a situation of endemic racism in the EU, which has affected my family, my friends and me many times. Instead of screaming at the void, as I wanted to, I apparently fashioned a terrible post about the proper allocation of charity resources. So yeah, that's on me. Perhaps that's what happens, people getting angry about something being unfair, and voicing it in the most unhelpful way.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've looked into Aleksandr Dugin and his pathological hatred of liberalism baffles me. He thinks it is decadent even though the liberal democracies of the world are stronger militarily and economically than the autocracies. Russia today is a mess. It's people are ravaged by alcoholism and drug addiction. The only reason anyone respects Russia is that it has too many nukes and oil fields. The only explanation I can think of is that his brain is naturally wired such that the values of liberalism disgust him intensely on an instinctive level, to the point that he will seize upon the craziest logic pretzels to validate his fascist ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Djarum posted:

I have several friends growing up who had it happen to them in the US. Granted this was the 99-04 but it still happens today all over. Often times it is "strongly encouraged" by prosecution to get them to drop the charges but it is still a practice that happens all over the US, mostly targeting lower class people.

This hasn’t been true for most military branches in the US for the last 10-15 years. The majority of branches have regulations specifically forbidding people from those sorts of enlistments.

Source: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/join-the-military-or-go-to-jail-3354033

timma85 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 27, 2022