Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antigravitas posted:

Die Linke is full of Putinversteher. They operate on "NATO bad, Putin against NATO, hence Putin good".
They recently tried to shift towards "War bad, but we should demilitarise and not help Ukraine defend itself".

We have a proxy of how popular that approach is in the Saarland elections that happened on Sunday:

It went very well.

yeah i feel like Europe realizes that Russia is the Wolf in the woods again and even though its injured, its probably not gonna stop until putins gone or his power is broken. The US realizes that too. most appeasement poo poo is dead now and i am curious how damaged various hard right parties are now that putins money won't flow and that everyone is kinda on to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Plenty of all-caps there.

But not exclusively. And also:

I guess First Squawk does a .toUpperCase somewhere in their flow and they should be PUNISHED derail over.

Will it apply to foreign journalists as well? Maybe they are trying quash the feedback loop Russians are getting through interviews posted on YouTube or other channels yet to be banned.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well, there goes my vacation plan.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Russian reserves of copium wont hold for long at this pace

Maybe they can supply the reserves with some canned copium

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

CommieGIR posted:

Why would negotiations make any progress? As far as we know, Putin hasn't changed his demands, none of which Zelenskyy will ever agree with.

Then again, NYT is running “Zelensky Says Ukraine Is ‘Ready’ to Discuss Neutrality” as its top story.

Dumbest idea ever if true.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Orban talked about Ukraine's demands on radio.

https://telex.hu/english/2022/03/28/orban-what-the-ukrainians-are-asking-us-is-to-bring-hungarys-economy-to-a-complete-halt

“The question for Hungary isn’t whether we are willing to pay a bit more for energy, and thus help Ukraine – if that were possible, we would do it. The question is: whether anything will come in those pipes at all.”

“What the Ukrainians are asking us to do is essentially to stop the entire Hungarian economy, to lose years of development again, and for our economy’s performance to fall back to the level where it was 8-10, or who knows how many years ago”.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Then again, NYT is running “Zelensky Says Ukraine Is ‘Ready’ to Discuss Neutrality” as its top story.

He's been saying it for like 3 weeks. What that means is: "sure, we will agree to not be in NATO if we get real binding security guarantees from US, France, and a bunch of other countries".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

https://telex.hu/english/2022/03/28/orban-what-the-ukrainians-are-asking-us-is-to-bring-hungarys-economy-to-a-complete-halt

“The question for Hungary isn’t whether we are willing to pay a bit more for energy, and thus help Ukraine – if that were possible, we would do it. The question is: whether anything will come in those pipes at all.”

“What the Ukrainians are asking us to do is essentially to stop the entire Hungarian economy, to lose years of development again, and for our economy’s performance to fall back to the level where it was 8-10, or who knows how many years ago”.

"How can I make this all about me?" - Orban

Sounds like someone we know...

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Die Linke is full of Putinversteher. They operate on "NATO bad, Putin against NATO, hence Putin good".
They recently tried to shift towards "War bad, but we should demilitarise and not help Ukraine defend itself".

We have a proxy of how popular that approach is in the Saarland elections that happened on Sunday:

It went very well.

Lmao, they're getting their just deserts. Not a single seat in a small state formerly known for being a Die Linke stronghold, I bet they'll never acknowledge what led to this :iiam:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ukraine's conception of neutrality (enforced with security guarantees from europe, ukraine keeps military) is pretty much 100% opposed to the Russian demand for neutrality (ukraine has no military, russia denazifys, ukraine prevented from joining EU/NATO)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

NYT sucks, my guess is they are open to not join nato and will make some other negotiations but thats it. neither side is gonna give in unless major defeats happen.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ukraine's conception of neutrality (enforced with security guarantees from europe, ukraine keeps military) is pretty much 100% opposed to the Russian demand for neutrality (ukraine has no military, russia denazifys, ukraine prevented from joining EU/NATO)

this.

i think Orban loses in the next election and poo poo kicks off if he tries to cheat. its very clear that he would be fine if russia invaded his own country if he gets to play puppet king.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

MrYenko posted:

In other news, the Mrs and I have been watching Servant of the People on Netflix. It’s not Earth-shaking-amazing, but he’s a genuinely funny guy.

This is a pretty good statement of Ukrainian foreign policy.

https://twitter.com/nocontext_sotp/status/1505307085935988736

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shageletic posted:

This turned my stomach. Venting about the army means we should cheer when they're pulled out of their car and made to recant at gunpoint? Sickening poo poo.

I have no idea how you deduced that the prescription here is to cheer for degradation of civil order. The guy’s rant went far beyond just venting, but the consequences do not appear to have been meted out with due diligence.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

OddObserver posted:

He's been saying it for like 3 weeks. What that means is: "sure, we will agree to not be in NATO if we get real binding security guarantees from US, France, and a bunch of other countries".

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1508432170628562957?s=21&t=Y1F6hO0JNkadl62r_RMKww

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OddObserver posted:

Yeah but at that point, what's the difference with just being in NATO?

Ukraine is obviously right to ask for those guarantees because the same coming from Russia would be completely worthless, but that's also why Russia won't accept that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think Orban loses in the next election
Eh, I doubt it, afaik Fidesz was still doing better than opposition in polls just few days ago.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think Orban loses in the next election and poo poo kicks off if he tries to cheat. its very clear that he would be fine if russia invaded his own country if he gets to play puppet king.

I think you are wrong about him losing but... :pray:

“The Hungarian position is the morally correct one." - This blew my mind. I can't even imagine how hosed up you have to be to claim this.

Edit:

Dwesa posted:

Eh, I doubt it, afaik Fidesz was still doing better than opposition in polls just few days ago.

Yup, Fidesz is 2% ahead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I think you are wrong about him losing but... :pray:

“The Hungarian position is the morally correct one." - This blew my mind. I can't even imagine how hosed up you have to be to claim this.

i fully admit i am not an expert so i probably am. my view is everyone in easter europe realizes they might be next and most hungarians don't like the idea of their dumbshit nazi president kissing putins rear end and being ok with the horror show right next door. because many probably think if russia wanted to, they would just tell/pay off orban and he would stand down or become some figurehead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1508432594756640777

Time to forget Russian.
https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1508425822574682115

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair they've only had a month.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

uXs posted:

Yeah but at that point, what's the difference with just being in NATO?

Ukraine is obviously right to ask for those guarantees because the same coming from Russia would be completely worthless, but that's also why Russia won't accept that.

Technically it would mean guarantees against another invasion but no bases and none of the typical coordination NATO countries have on defense. In reality some "neutral" countries like Sweden and Finland can still have pretty close military ties to NATO while not being in it but it's all a moot point because Putin doesn't want a "neutrality" that leaves Ukraine with any agency or ability to resist a second invasion. Zelensky can bring it up though to show Russia is negotiating in bad faith since it should meet their stated goals on "neutrality" while not being anything they'd ever accept since it was a sham reason for invasion.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 28, 2022

Ideal_id
Dec 30, 2011
Is this real? A month ago I would had claimed this total BS...
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1508426419273142278

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I have no confirmation on any of the validity of this as I just saw it pop up right now. That said the Soviet used to sign (like the Germans) poo poo that you wouldn’t believe somebody actually reduced to writing so…

https://twitter.com/mylovanov/status/1508436042407464969?s=21&t=lOxStwyzZLgW8IF4VlFAHw

Also looking at the machine translated one in the replies of the original source it’s allegedly signed by the new temporary head of the Ministry of defense. So who knows!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

William Bear posted:

This is a pretty good statement of Ukrainian foreign policy.

https://twitter.com/nocontext_sotp/status/1505307085935988736

Another Zelensky pre-politics thing that was posted a couple weeks back in this thread and/or another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgOSrw9Q8rc

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ola posted:

That account usually tweets about humdrum financial poo poo, and everything is always in caps lock. What do they think they're achieving?

CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL :c00lbutt:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah I have no confirmation on any of the validity of this as I just saw it pop up right now. That said the Soviet used to sign (like the Germans) poo poo that you wouldn’t believe somebody actually reduced to writing so…

https://twitter.com/mylovanov/status/1508436042407464969?s=21&t=lOxStwyzZLgW8IF4VlFAHw

Also looking at the machine translated one in the replies of the original source it’s allegedly signed by the new temporary head of the Ministry of defense. So who knows!

Any time there is a presumed leaked document signed by high ranking officials just be certain that it is fake.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Might be a faint to slowly pull back to the East/keep Kyiv forces pinned down. Or putin decided to try a Zerg rush it again.

I'd hesitate to apply any rational overarching grand strategy to... well, just about anything Russia has done or seems to be doing so far.

There may be some overall Russian military genius pulling on the strings with deft feints, encirclements and tactics. Maybe up 'til now they were even good enough to make it appear as if it's just a bunch of commanders who don't really know what's going on doing their own thing with terrible logistics. But, uh, it could also just be a bunch of commanders who don't know what's going on doing their own thing with terrible logistics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ideal_id posted:

Nothing in Russian news, as far as I can tell. For what it’s worth, he’s been a Maj. Gen. of the national guard for nearly 2 years already.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ideal_id posted:

Weird career move for Josh from Red Letter Media

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Any time there is a presumed leaked document signed by high ranking officials just be certain that it is fake.

lol also isn't that the same anon account that claimed to have hacked russian nuclear power plants and railroads and poo poo

i think we all know better than to trust that as a primary source

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Topicality is always suspect.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ideal_id posted:

Currently that sounds like death sentence and quick way to be promoted to cargo 200.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Xachariah posted:

I'd hesitate to apply any rational overarching grand strategy to... well, just about anything Russia has done or seems to be doing so far.

There may be some overall Russian military genius pulling on the strings with deft feints, encirclements and tactics. Maybe up 'til now they were even good enough to make it appear as if it's just a bunch of commanders who don't really know what's going on doing their own thing with terrible logistics. But, uh, it could also just be a bunch of commanders who don't know what's going on doing their own thing with terrible logistics.

There's a new Minister of Defense who might be more competent than Shoigu.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

There's a new Minister of Defense who might be more competent than Shoigu.

No, Shoygu is still the minister.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Finland would sooner greet Russia as liberators than Ukraine :v:

Alexander II the Tsar Liberator. There is even a statue of him still standing in the Senate square in Helsinki and many streets are named after him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If kadyrpv is getting promoted he'll either be a fine pink mist or the new tsar inside a year.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If kadyrpv is getting promoted he'll either be a fine pink mist or the new tsar inside a year.

Or one, then the other!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I’m fairly confident that it’s fake, since he isn’t exactly popular with the Russian army, and they’d have plenty of power to stop such (improbable) promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kadyrov probably asked "what can we get for another 10k soldiers?" And he wanted something more flashy than more "rebuilding" funds.