Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Everyone in the party, barring Tellah, Cid, and Yang, are pretty hilariously young, especially for the positions some of them (Cecil and Kain) are in.
Edward "Edge" Geraldine, the brash, hot-headed, immature young prince who's not quite a master of the ninja tricks he's been learning since childhood is 26. Tifa is at Yang's proficiency in martial arts at 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Edge is like 5 years older than Cecil and Kain right? Always thought that was funny

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I feel like auron looking older then he is isnt that weird bc, not only is he kind of a zombie, but hes probably super stressed from his best friend becoming a kaiju

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I feel like auron looking older then he is isnt that weird bc, not only is he kind of a zombie, but hes probably super stressed from his best friend becoming a kaiju

And raising Tidus! That can't have been fun or easy. They never really stress it enough but with Tidus' mom dead and Jecht a kaiju, Auron presumably was Tidus' guardian for several years, raising him all the way from a kid to an older teen.

I guess it would confuse the message of the narrative which is about Tidus learning to accept his love for his dad, Auron being positioned as a second dad. Oh well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Auron was definitely way more of a weird drifter uncle that pops in every few months to check in on Tidus and then leaves unannounced after a couple of days.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hogama posted:

Edward "Edge" Geraldine, the brash, hot-headed, immature young prince who's not quite a master of the ninja tricks he's been learning since childhood is 26. Tifa is at Yang's proficiency in martial arts at 20.

I feel like his kingdom wasn’t even particularly associated with ninja stuff he was just really into ninjas, and his name is edge and he is a lord by birth.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

I feel like his kingdom wasn’t even particularly associated with ninja stuff he was just really into ninjas, and his name is edge and he is a lord by birth.

His character became a lot more tolerable when I realized he is truly the consumate weeb failson and his subpar mechanical contributions to the party reflect that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Of course he dual wields, lol.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I finally want to beat Yiazmat this time after 15 years.

What six classes alone are worth playing? That covers every base but with no multi-classing?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bentacos posted:

Tellah prequel when

I'd say that the writing couldn't be any worth than FF4:TAY's was, but I know SE would prove me wrong.

Hogama posted:

Also he's constantly hitting on 'adult' Rydia, who is 16 when she rejoins the party and was 7 when Leviathan took her to the Feymarch.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the opening fmv of final fantasy x where auron calmly walks down the street as sin approcahes zanarkand still owns

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I guess nobody gave a poo poo about Dream Zanarkand because it was all going to vanish in a puff of logic anyway?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the opening fmv of final fantasy x where auron calmly walks down the street as sin approcahes zanarkand still owns

I kind of like the buttrock blitzball theme even now

A guilty pleasure, but a pleasure

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

it owns

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I guess nobody gave a poo poo about Dream Zanarkand because it was all going to vanish in a puff of logic anyway?

I've been thinking about this bit for 20 years now. Really all you can do to explain it in a non-monstrous way is something like "these kids don't really exist anyway so they can't really die."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like otherworld and think it does a good job of showing that tidus comes from a different world with the power of buttrock a type of music found nowhere else in final fantasy X

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

What is "buttrock" anyway? People say Otherworld is buttrock, the songs in Revengeance are buttrock, seems like any time there's a metal song in a video game it's buttrock.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

What is "buttrock" anyway? People say Otherworld is buttrock, the songs in Revengeance are buttrock, seems like any time there's a metal song in a video game it's buttrock.

to quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, i know it when i see it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, SOP Chaos difficulty really forces you to learn the bosses move by move rather than just bulldozing through them. At least Lich isn't too bad provided you're decent at avoiding his grabs - despite him being a 'hang back and pelt you at range' boss in his first phase, his attacks are easy enough to block and counter with Soul Shield that engaging him in a shootout is extremely viable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The beauty of Buttrock is that it can be anything.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9dEu29RY44

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sefal posted:

Key to this build is 400% red mage and 250% cyclic warrior affinity
With 400% red mage you can get like one mp bar back after chaosbringer ends due to status inflict from thunder spam (don't forget to stop mashing when Chaosbringer is almost over), and of course after boss change phase you get lot of MP and thats the sweet spot for longer spam

A cheap way to build this is to use green/purple gear since you get a ton of those upgrade material from dismantling compared to artifacts, aim for 400% red mage and 250% cyclic, then put int+, magic dmg+, and lightbringer duration+ then upgrade them to max

Invisible is mandatory since if you get hit your chaosbringer will end, and lunatic+haste mean faster spell spam
And after each chaosbringer ALWAYS use magic regen unless you're sure the boss died on the next spam (and get the MP from the soul burst)

The rotation is like this
-Chaosbringer - magic regen - invicible - lunatic - haste (to thunder spam if chaosbringer still up)
-Wait 1 mp bar
-chaosbringer - magic regen - thunder spam (dont forget to stop mashing before chaosbringer ends, you should have 1 bar of MP due to 400% red mage)
-another chaosbringer - magic regen - thunder spam (invisible lunatic haste should still up)
-repeat from start

thank you for this. I noticed you were using reinforced in the tweet instead of lunatic, I take it lunatic is actually better?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Yeah I think it's more or less that the inhabitants aren't really real, Jecht aside, and he's just a special case. Whereas the fayth are very much real and saying "We're tired of being imprisoned in eternal dreaming, we want to be free."

It's basically Link's Awakening. Yeah Marin is sweet and it's sad that she disappears but ultimately the Wind Fish is trapped in sleep, wants to be freed, and Link is a real person who deserves to be able to return to the real world.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lmao

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yuna is the REAL villain of FFX for killing all the Dream Zanarkand residents. While Tidus was hi-fiving Jecht, Yuna was high-fiving Marche.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Otherworld is the boss theme when you fight BFA and it goddamn owns the whole time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really liked the unique version of Otherworld that played during BFA on the PS2, and was mildly disappointed it’s just the regular track that plays on the HD rerelease.

I know it was due to the PS2 having only so much memory that it could only load samples and not the full track, but it had a really energetic feel to it that I liked.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HD DAD posted:

I really liked the unique version of Otherworld that played during BFA on the PS2, and was mildly disappointed it’s just the regular track that plays on the HD rerelease.

I know it was due to the PS2 having only so much memory that it could only load samples and not the full track, but it had a really energetic feel to it that I liked.

i agree... original BFA otherworld ftw

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Buttrock rocks your butt off.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ten years ago if you forced a bunch of nerds to define Buttrock they would probably agree to something along the lines of 'sanitized simplistic corporate radio poprock, with lyrics you could drop verbatim into a whiny country ballad and it would appeal to the exact same demographic'. Stuff like Kid Rock, Theory of a Deadman, etc.

In 2022 though you can just translate it as 'song (that may or may not be rock) that I do not take seriously'.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the thing is that:

A) the continued existence of Dream Zanarkand requires the fayth to be forced into labor to dream them into existence, which is unfair.
B) most of the people in Dream Zanarkand have basically nowhere to go if the city disappears, because they have no context for their existence outside of their fake history and fake city, even if they could exist without outside labor, which they can't.
C) Tidus is an exception to both these rules, because he actually has a life outside the city, and because the fayth are willing to do the work of dreaming him into existence for one human lifetime as a small favor to Yuna before passing into the afterlife.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they go to the farplane which may be a cool place full of blitzball for all we know

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
or maybe its hell... who can say

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

the fayth are willing to do the work of dreaming him into existence for one human lifetime as a small favor to Yuna before passing into the afterlife.

And then they dreamed up a blitzball-shaped mine for him to kick and weasel out of their agreement lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
No, the mine wasn't dreamed, it was leftover from the war between Bevelle and Zanarkand.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

But can you be sure?? I mean, probably, but I like my interpretation better.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was very irresponsible to make bombs that look like blitzballs imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was very irresponsible to make bombs that look like blitzballs imo

Probably intentional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFM-1)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

In 2022 though you can just translate it as 'song (that may or may not be rock) that I do not take seriously'.

I take Otherworld dead seriously tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd you think blitz mines are bad you should get a load of the weapon Zanarkand left armed after the end of the war.

Wizards and technowizards have no sense of right or wrong.