Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Does anyone know if there are any "real" or third-party transparent display stands for Lego? Something like a posing stand for an action figure/transformer, but ending in some kind of brick/plate?
For smaller/lighter models you can use
42445 Bar 12L with 1x2 Plate & 1x1 Round Plate
or 30359 Bar 1x8 with Brick 1x2 Curved Top End.
I also just screwed around with some gunpla stands and it turns out that for Bandai's Action Base 2, the square gubbin at the top is natively the right size to be stuffed into any 1xN brick antistud for a pretty tight connection. I can't confirm, but believe that the same is also true for the newer Action Base 5, probably even the larger Action Base 4 (but definitely not 1).

Here's me using a 12L bar for some zippy lil Insectoids craft.

I originally wanted to build these using only "period-appropriate" parts, but then I realized I have no idea how we got anything done back in the day without all the super convenient pieces we have access to nowadays. Annoying that 79491 Plate, Round Corner 2x2 with 1x1 Cutout has for some reason only shown up in the Mario 64 ? Block and nowhere else so far, some of these in blue would've been useful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The bridge uses a 3-4-5 Pythagorean triangle to allow it to be built on-stud while being at an angle. This is the easiest Pythagorean triple to use, although 5-12-13 is also useful. The basic concept is really simple and doesn't rely on any unusual pieces; you could do it with a box of bricks from the 80s if you wanted.

Hell, there were some sets from the 80s that used the 3-4-5 Pythagorean triple, eg the red bars at the bow of this ship:

I remember being fascinated by that as a kid, but obviously since kids generally don't know trigonometry, I was confused and a bit frustrated as to why that one worked but other angles and lengths didn't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Hell, there were some sets from the 80s that used the 3-4-5 Pythagorean triple, eg the red bars at the bow of this ship:

I remember being fascinated by that as a kid, but obviously since kids generally don't know trigonometry, I was confused and a bit frustrated as to why that one worked but other angles and lengths didn't.

Oh that's cool!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Having recently just come back to Lego since the late 90s, I'm fascinated with all the new pieces and how even some of the basic sets I'm building use complex techniques and "technic" parts.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I know I just missed the March x2 VIP points, is there a April one coming up? I'm going to drop alot of money on lego soon and i would love to get those sweet sweet points

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The last 2x VIP before March was last December, I think? I feel like it's closer to quarterly than monthly, but I dunno.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kid oriented sets have a lot more single piece instruction steps. At least that's how it feels to me.. I guess I've never done a statistical analysis of lego instructions. :v:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 27, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

xzzy posted:

Kid oriented sets have a lot more single piece institution steps. At least that's how it feels to me.. I guess I've never done a statistical analysis of lego instructions. :v:

I like when they have a step 1 that is just one part by itself, like the instruction is "just look at this part". The manual for the Minecraft Warped Forest is full of those.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Terry van Feleday posted:

For smaller/lighter models you can use
42445 Bar 12L with 1x2 Plate & 1x1 Round Plate
or 30359 Bar 1x8 with Brick 1x2 Curved Top End.
I also just screwed around with some gunpla stands and it turns out that for Bandai's Action Base 2, the square gubbin at the top is natively the right size to be stuffed into any 1xN brick antistud for a pretty tight connection. I can't confirm, but believe that the same is also true for the newer Action Base 5, probably even the larger Action Base 4 (but definitely not 1).

Here's me using a 12L bar for some zippy lil Insectoids craft.

I originally wanted to build these using only "period-appropriate" parts, but then I realized I have no idea how we got anything done back in the day without all the super convenient pieces we have access to nowadays. Annoying that 79491 Plate, Round Corner 2x2 with 1x1 Cutout has for some reason only shown up in the Mario 64 ? Block and nowhere else so far, some of these in blue would've been useful...

Thanks! I'll probably look into one of those Bandai Action Bases, if the 5 series fits (and visually it looks like the 2), the clear version of that would be the best thing.

Also I love your mini Insectoid craft! There's a theme I wish could come back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are there translucent axels?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Rythe posted:

I know I just missed the March x2 VIP points, is there a April one coming up? I'm going to drop alot of money on lego soon and i would love to get those sweet sweet points

MAYBE there’s gonna be one around Easter but I’m not certain if I remember right from last year. May 4th should have double points on Star Wars stuff, iirc - but no guarantees. But I do read somewhere that it’s a quarterly thing, as davebo said

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

There are. Even pins and liftarms. But I assume you mean Lego pieces, not something like GoBricks?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question about Lego.com's Pick a Brick store. I ordered a bunch of stuff recently, as part of an order. I made sure it was moved into my cart, and my final price reflected that, and was charged that (and my confirmation order listed all those pieces). When I went back to Pick a Brick though, all those bricks I had ordered were still in my pick a brick selection. Should I just empty that "cart", to start a new pick a brick order?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Question about Lego.com's Pick a Brick store. I ordered a bunch of stuff recently, as part of an order. I made sure it was moved into my cart, and my final price reflected that, and was charged that (and my confirmation order listed all those pieces). When I went back to Pick a Brick though, all those bricks I had ordered were still in my pick a brick selection. Should I just empty that "cart", to start a new pick a brick order?
I would imagine so. I doubt you'll get many experience-based answers, as that Pick A Brick system is brand new - the combined B&P/PAB just launched earlier this month. It still has some bugs to work out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Scipiotik posted:

I think my fav is the Ferrari, I wasn't expecting to love it, but it looks great and was a good build. Countach is just my fav car growing up. But the Valkyrie was the best build.

I just built the Ferrari like an hour ago and I was underwhelmed by the build until I got to the headlights and was like “drat that’s cool”.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

There are, back in the 70s there were milky white axles that were made of a translucent plastic, same as the TV aerials from that time. They didn't last long, I imagine they were weaker than the black axles.

AFAIK Lego have never made transparent axles or any other colour of translucent axles.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

AFAIK Lego have never made transparent axles or any other colour of translucent axles.
You are correct. I have a couple of those milky white axles. Never found a use for 'em but I will someday!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

When does new stuff go up for sale online? I was thinking about ordering the DeLorean when that gets released. Is it usually in the middle of the night, or at some point in the morning? I will be working some midnight shifts this week, so if it’s super early morning, I will likely be up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like I've been able to order things around midnight eastern before.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

deoju posted:

Did you mean to come back to this Q? or :thejoke:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this exact thought

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Did some more work on my Tumbler today. This is a table that isn't used here, and that chair is never pulled out. I left to get a bottle of water in the next room and came back to this.

I really want to share this with a statement of how you don't have to wait until December to feel the Christmas spirit but I don't know if any of my friends and family are as juvenile as I am

Man gently caress those back wheels. This is only my third set as an adult, the other two were Technics and this one step with the back tires can suck my rear end

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The foreman came by to inspect your work, I see. Excellent.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The_Doctor posted:

The foreman came by to inspect your work, I see. Excellent.

She swung by during my previous build to let me know where I screwed up

Sorry its blurry, she was quite animated about it

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Started off Speed Champions last week with the Mercedes two-pack that just came out...then bought the Corvette two-pack over the weekend...and now I have three more sets on the way to my house.

LEGO: Why do I do this to myself?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Flyinglemur posted:

She swung by during my previous build to let me know where I screwed up

Sorry its blurry, she was quite animated about it

"...do you really want this job? You're making a lot of mistakes."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cat assistance is the best part of building lego sets.

They seem to like the bustle of all the parts being moved around. I'm assuming it's an attempt to process what the hell the humans are doing and why they aren't handing out treats instead.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So the Lantern Festival is pretty cool.

The park is raised up above the baseplate which allows the pond to be below the "ground level". The pond itself is formed by a base layer with transparent tiles over the top, which gives a sense of depth (the large Ninjago sets use this technique too, with additional colour gradations to show a changing depth).

The bridge uses a 3-4-5 Pythagorean triangle to allow it to be built on-stud while being at an angle. This is the easiest Pythagorean triple to use, although 5-12-13 is also useful. The basic concept is really simple and doesn't rely on any unusual pieces; you could do it with a box of bricks from the 80s if you wanted.

The really impressive bit is the hexagonal pavilion on top of the (octagonal) rock outcropping Just look at this:

It's great.

Carbohydrates posted:

Here, have a peek! The instructions for all modern LEGO sets are freely available, so here's the Valkyrie we're discussing. Build spoilers ahead, if that's a thing for you.

https://www.lego.com/cdn/product-assets/product.bi.core.pdf/6409874.pdf

In this build, 1/2 stud offsetting is achieved in a few different ways. Here, early on, it's done with jumper plates as well as Technic connections:

Here, Technic is used again, but also click hinges. The hinge isn't used for any articulation at all, just for the 1/2 stud offset.

The 2 x 6 Technic brick with axle holes (the wheel axle holder, basically) is used as the floor of the chassis because of its slim profile. It's also used this way in this year's Mercedes F1 car.

These headlight bricks are placed sideways on their backs so that the stud connection is oriented to the bottom of the piece, allowing the seat backs to line up properly:

Some cool non-System part usage as this Technic rotor blade forms the rear fin on the cabin.

The rear of the cabin is built with this 1 x 3 arch, the curvature of which perfectly matches the profile of those Technic pieces:

This one is genius. The 2 x 2 hinge brick top is used as a very thin gap filler to maintain the black lower trim band. A bracket piece couldn't be used here because it would collide with the Technic axle joiners, but the hinge connection of this piece just barely clears it. loving superb.

Brackets on top of brackets, studs going in 3 directions, to strengthen this trim / side:

More great part usage: the classic car doors from the 70s used as splitters here.

The way this bit curves around the bodywork and stays in place. The front part is pinned between those tiles and the 1 x 2 rounded plate, while the rear angle is set by a 1/4 plate gap between the hinge plate and the black 45 degree slope on the side of the cockpit rear. I call this "indexing" and LEGO is very good at it.

thanks for all the posts explaining stuff but these two really help. i can look at instructions and not really get what's interesting, but having it pointed out this way is great. i still dont' 'get' some like step 17 there - why not just use a 1x2 plate? is it just to fill in the gap a bit but not as much as a 1x3 would?

one thing that's funny to me is my kid likes to build with plates on their side wedged in between studs , instead of using a bracket, so when i see that like in the titanic pic i recognize it immediately

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

thanks for all the posts explaining stuff but these two really help. i can look at instructions and not really get what's interesting, but having it pointed out this way is great. i still dont' 'get' some like step 17 there - why not just use a 1x2 plate? is it just to fill in the gap a bit but not as much as a 1x3 would?

It's because the part behind it is not offset (look at step 3). They needed to make that part of the chassis a stud narrower in width and do it symmetricly, without a jumper plate. The hinge piece makes it possible.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I can't see what it clicks in to, but I'm pretty sure it's one of these:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Have a look at the linked pdf of the instructions. You can't see it in the post, but there's one of these behind it:

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I can't see what it clicks in to, but I'm pretty sure it's one of these:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Neat

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you're using these, remember to count based on the distance between the centers of studs (as that's where the vertex will be). So like a 3-4-5 triple is a 4x5 rectangle with a 6-stud diagonal.

e: Unless you're connecting along a different reference frame, that is. This is assuming a basic studs-on-top bricks-and-plates-only type of construction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

If you're using these, remember to count based on the distance between the centers of studs (as that's where the vertex will be). So like a 3-4-5 triple is a 4x5 rectangle with a 6-stud diagonal.

e: Unless you're connecting along a different reference frame, that is. This is assuming a basic studs-on-top bricks-and-plates-only type of construction.

I definitely didn't make a simple fencepost error the first time I tried to >.>

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Early bday present to myself

Late bday present to myself gonna be the DeLorean

Wanna have a shelf with those 2 and the Batmobile for peak nostalgia.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Y'all ever wonder what happens when a beetle hits a falcon at the speed of gravity?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AngusMacLane/status/1508431010148413444

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GlenMR posted:

Y'all ever wonder what happens when a beetle hits a falcon at the speed of gravity?

Nerds were really mad you could do this in the movie.

Also put the shoe on the beatle next time, then it won't go anywhere. At least most bugs I step on don't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Always chock your wheels!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

GlenMR posted:

Ouch, good luck with the repair.

When I returned to my family home for Christmas I found my Falcon on my bedroom floor in this state:

They blamed it on the cat. It obviously wasn't the cat, he has more grace and poise in his left paw than the rest of my idiot family put together. They wouldn't own up between them who was responsible, but it could have been my sister's now ex-boyfriend who went into my room to do something with the radiator and possibly fell over it while drunk or something.

I knew I wouldn't be happy until it was back in one piece so the next morning I spent roughly three hours going back through the entire manual a couple of times to put it back together and ensure that there wasn't a single stray piece. In doing so I also uncovered an error or two that had been made in the original building process (obviously during the sections I wasn't in charge of), so it actually finished up even better than it was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My space shuttle took a crash (entirely my fault) about a month ago and I just haven’t had the will to put it back together yet. I can’t imagine reconstructing a falcon.