Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

Oh drat rip your old av, I liked that one
eh it'll be back once the libs tucker themselves out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

I guess I'm just too dumb to understand how reducing people's debt payments would affect inflation

If you increase the amount of money in circulation while not increasing the supply of goods with inelastic supply processes then the price of goods will inflate until enough people get priced out of the market for monetary supply to equalise with goods supply.

This is bad but becomes inhumane when the good also has inelastic demand like say housing or transport to work.

The simplest solution to causing inflation by reducing people's debt is to rip off the band aid and make all education free. Then you don't have to worry about the economic problems that you need to manage when there is a massive pool of debt flopping around the economy.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Nonsense posted:

I lust for the destruction of the democrats

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

cagliostr0 posted:

If you increase the amount of money in circulation while not increasing the supply of goods with inelastic supply processes then the price of goods will inflate until enough people get priced out of the market for monetary supply to equalise with goods supply.

This is bad but becomes inhumane when the good also has inelastic demand like say housing or transport to work.

The simplest solution to causing inflation by reducing people's debt is to rip off the band aid and make all education free. Then you don't have to worry about the economic problems that you need to manage when there is a massive pool of debt flopping around the economy.

Both cancel the debt And make education free.

There's more than enough of everything.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

yellowcar posted:

truman never had a college degree (went to a business college but dropped out after a year)

worked around rail yards and banks as a clerk, worked on a farm for a bit before becoming A Troop during WWI

ran for county judge in kansas after he came back then eventually got elected, became a senator eventually through deals and rear end kissing he made with the democrats while he was a county judge

You forgot the part where he co-owned a haberdashery (hat shop).

Years later, his former business partner in the hat shop (Eddie Jacobson) convinced Truman to recognize Israel.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Both cancel the debt And make education free.

There's more than enough of everything.

Your solution is the correct one.

The reason inflation happens is when poor people get more money. It can happen a variety of ways but if you increase wages, give them cash, or reduce/remove debt service then they have more money to spend on things and because more more people can now buy things those things become more expensive.

The other thing to note is that some inflation is good, it means that it's more useful to circulate money than to hoard it. If, for instance, money will be worth more in the future you're smarter to not spend it because you "make" more by simply holding it. Higher interest rates do the same thing, they encourage you to save it because you can earn interest on it, and credit is more expensive so you don't take a loan to make home repairs or buy large ticket items.

In the case of student loan debt, that's dead money. The income is removed from circulation so the reintroduction of that money (through debt cancellation) means that it's inflationary. Your solution is correct because the inflation is priced into the market at this point, we've already felt the pain of it, so just forgive the debt since the prices won't decrease anyway.

In other words partial forgiveness is helpful to the individuals holding it in the long term but in the short term both rekindle the debt crisis and prolong the problem going forward so that future efforts will again cause the same kind of inflationary spike. It's your typical democratic non-solution that kicks the can down the road while immiserating the debtholders in the immediate sense. Just another reason to hate the democrats.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my mom was convinced that obama was a nice man and was completely uninterested in evidence to the contrary.

I hate the tan suit thing because they take it as Obama being so squeaky clean that Fox News was desperate to find anything negative to say about him when in reality they couldn't criticize him on policy because they actually agreed with the vast majority of what he was doing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1508629788134719496

Good news! The Dems are restructuring their primaries to make sure "small, diverse" states go first. This means that the Dems will not be destroyed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

to be fair, telling iowa to gently caress off is good and cool

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iowa is a mess and we should probably look into why it exists

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

iowa is a mess and we should probably look into why it exists

it's nice to visit imo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

On the other hand, that 11 year old not knowing how to correctly rig a coin flip but doing it anyway so Mayor Pete could be POTUS was hilarious content

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

LastInLine posted:

The reason inflation happens is when poor people get more money. It can happen a variety of ways but if you increase wages, give them cash, or reduce/remove debt service then they have more money to spend on things and because more more people can now buy things those things become more expensive.

“those things become more expensive” is the “officer involved shooting” of economics. inflation happens because bitch rear end capitalists raise prices and democratic politicians call you racist when people start pondering solutions in minecraft

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/stat...ingawful.com%2F

"Center leaning budget" lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

pragmatically bowing to the political reality of the dump i just took in the center of my bed

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

My hatred of the Democratic Party is so personal that voicing my true feelings on what should be done would be fairly actionable so I merely couch my rage and anger into vague and/or ridiculous terms that would pass a mod's version of a Miller Test.

Dems kill indirectly and passive aggressively

Double standards

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

camoseven posted:

it's nice to visit imo

if you've ever visited Michigan and thought "I wish there were even less interesting things to do" then yes

tbf the single stall bathrooms at Hy-Vee are clean and wonderful

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Centrist Committee posted:

“those things become more expensive” is the “officer involved shooting” of economics. inflation happens because bitch rear end capitalists raise prices and democratic politicians call you racist when people start pondering solutions in minecraft

Goods with both inelastic supply and inelastic demand are real. The issue is that the system was created with the specific intent of causing inelastic demand to allow capital an unassailable position in negotiations with Labor. The solution to the issue is testing the hypothesis that capitalists can outrun a mob with a guillotine with scientific rigor then having seperate research teams determine if the findings are replicable.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
D, Fund ICE!

LMAO loving Brandon I hate that guy and I sincerely wish for his political project to be destroyed in 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Centrist Committee posted:

yeah inflation is way more complicated than money supply and framing it in that way is ridiculous. it’s obvious bullshit when you look at gas prices - they’re way higher at the pump when supply and price per barrel are the same as they were five years ago. inputs don’t always have a direct or even rational effect on outputs, especially when greedy fuckers can jack up the price whenever they want

Arizona iced tea is still $.99 for a 20oz can. it has been since the 90s. don’t bullshit me about inflation

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I dunno if it's inflation but I've been looking at hotel prices in popular tourist destinations like St Louis and Cincinnati and they are absolutely out of loving control

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nonsense posted:

I lust for the destruction of the democrats

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

yeah inflation is way more complicated than money supply and framing it in that way is ridiculous. it’s obvious bullshit when you look at gas prices - they’re way higher at the pump when supply and price per barrel are the same as they were five years ago. inputs don’t always have a direct or even rational effect on outputs, especially when greedy fuckers can jack up the price whenever they want

Arizona iced tea is still $.99 for a 20oz can. it has been since the 90s. don’t bullshit me about inflation

arizona is tea and tea is healthy :colbert:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The democrats deserve to be destroyed in 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

camoseven posted:

I dunno if it's inflation but I've been looking at hotel prices in popular tourist destinations like St Louis and Cincinnati and they are absolutely out of loving control

this started happening around 2017. before then I’d visit LA once or twice a year to see friends and you could always find a room in a Marriott/Hilton tier hotel in WeHo or Koreatown for ~$800 a week including taxes and poo poo. I haven’t been since the pandemic but even in 2019 you basically had to pick a lovely Airbnb in Van Nuys or Pasadena if you wanted to spend less than a G for a week

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1508836598095376385?s=20&t=f63HwJ7T-7z-GBJk9-uccQ

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i thought they played cricket in teh UK

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

popular liberal coffee shop baseball team

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/alexanderbolton...ingawful.com%2F

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao I've encountered "if you're so smart why haven't you fixed it" in the wild.

loving party of Karens, every last motherfucking one and they deserve ritual, endless humiliation.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Hochul's proposed NYS budget cuts Children and Family Services funding by $800M

Buffalo Bills will receive $850m from New York taxpayers to build new stadium

:cool:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Lmao I've encountered "if you're so smart why haven't you fixed it" in the wild.

loving party of Karens, every last motherfucking one and they deserve ritual, endless humiliation.

i always say "because you aren't loving listening to me"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i really hate it when people say things like "well if you know so much better than us why aren't you getting involved" because I AM loving involved. I'm a democratic party precinct president. I've been chair of municipal government and served on several advisory committees. You know what though? There are literally millions of people getting in my loving way and desperately clinging to a broken system and I have to physically move each and every one. It's exhausting. I still have to work a job too. Why don't you help me rear end in a top hat. Stop arguing with me because I'm infinity times smarter than you

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

i really hate it when people say things like "well if you know so much better than us why aren't you getting involved" because I AM loving involved. I'm a democratic party precinct president. I've been chair of municipal government and served on several advisory committees. You know what though? There are literally millions of people getting in my loving way and desperately clinging to a broken system and I have to physically move each and every one. It's exhausting. I still have to work a job too. Why don't you help me rear end in a top hat. Stop arguing with me because I'm infinity times smarter than you

slow boring of hard boards and all that

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

i always say "because you aren't loving listening to me"

Well, my response was something like that:

quote:

I had answers tho, not that y'all listened to them when I proposed them while I was with the Democrats. Back when there was time to do something about it, at least. But y'all still don't recognize the internal problem and it's not like you would take them seriously now anyway since you've already written me off as a Russian bot or whatever.

The only moderate Republicans who vote for democrats all serve on the TNDP executive committee.

Surely that should have been enough to win, right?

without some serious brand rehabilitation (e.g. reorg on the level of the Defenestration of Prague) there's not gonna be anything they can do about it. A person can either keep supporting a party that has repeatedly spat on it's base in the worship of mammon, they can find another party to support. I don't care, and frankly at this point I'm of the opinion that anybody trying to outright lie to people on behalf of the party after the past 12 years deserves whatever comes to them.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ArmZ posted:

why is everyone so dumb

we added covid brain to lead poisoned brain and weirdly this didnt result in good brain

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Parity warning posted:

we added covid brain to lead poisoned brain and weirdly this didnt result in good brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06cSTAqAYk

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"take taxpayer money and use it to give people healthcare!"

"ok, alright, don't yell at me! ....do what now?"

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Stereotype posted:

i have never comprehended anything in my entire life. every facet of reality is a terrifying unexplainable blur and every event is a random surprise to me. i think joe biden is doing a great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2024 :chaostrump:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1508800410156515344