Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

And by casting Jared Leto in it.

Ah gently caress, forgot about that :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tron Legacy was a bit messy as a movie, but it was a loving awesome trailer, in large part due to the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't forget the best piece of Tron-related media ever: the music video for Derezzed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI

It's an absolutely perfect blend of the OG Tron visuals and the Tron: Legacy visuals, using the best Daft Punk song, with a kickass new retro video game that feels like it fights right in with the games in the original and with real arcade games of its era, and absolute pitch-perfect filmmaking.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Tron Legacy was a bit messy as a movie, but it was a loving awesome trailer, in large part due to the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

The glitch noise at the title reveal is probably the coolest poo poo I've heard in IMAX.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I recently rewatched Tron Legacy as well and had the same reaction. Really enjoyed it.

And yeah Oblivion slaps as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I recently rewatched Tron Legacy as well and had the same reaction. Really enjoyed it.

And yeah Oblivion slaps as well.
I feel like both Tron Legacy and Oblivion have the same pros (visuals, interesting concepts) and cons (slightly sloppy story, unfulfilling climax).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Tron Legacy is an all timer for me. It gets me so bio-digital jazzed

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

As much as I like the soundtracks for both I can't help but feel like Daft Punk and M83 were held back by working with the orchestral arranger "Joseph Trapanese"

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like both Tron Legacy and Oblivion have the same pros (visuals, interesting concepts) and cons (slightly sloppy story, unfulfilling climax).

Oblivion is such a mismash of existing sci fi concepts and references that it's hard to feel anything about it. This bit reminds me of Moon, that bit reminds me of Independence Day, hey that thing looks like HAL, etc. Also both movies have Star Wars-esque dogfights.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 29, 2022

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Rageaholic posted:

The cinematography looks out of control :eyepop:

imdb says same guy as Oblivion and Tron: Legacy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is the old Tron thread gold mined? Thanks to that thread I and many others all got posters that only 1,000 were made. Plus pins and other merch.

Despite Leto I hope they make the 3rd and bring back Cillian Murphy as Dillingers son.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Tron Legacy is an all timer for me. It gets me so jazzed
Biodigital jazzed?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Is the old Tron thread gold mined? Thanks to that thread I and many others all got posters that only 1,000 were made. Plus pins and other merch.

Despite Leto I hope they make the 3rd and bring back Cillian Murphy as Dillingers son.
I never got a poster but I did get one of the Flynn's Arcade coin tokens. That was the height of movie ARGs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I have poster #176 :hfive: That ARG owned I think I got everything from it. The end of the ARG going haywire on your browser was so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZD9rI6aD3g

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat that Top Gun film looks like some smooth brain fun hell yeah

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vintersorg posted:

I loving ruined the back of mine putting it up on a wall because I was a dipshit but I still have mine and the coins/pins somewhere (including a token from one of the goons who went to Flynn’s Arcade in California Disney).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol

But idk. The film works for me. I can’t explain it. The ending bit where Kevin dies and sacrifices himself as the music swells and he sees a brief flash of him and Sam long ago and says “goodbye kiddo.”

Mad chills bruh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Still got my lanyard with ID access card in my desk drawer lol.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wanna know what kind of extensive fighter jet pilot training Tom Cruise got for that movie and just how many actual instances of him flying the plane there are in the movie.

Because Tom Cruise is a very entertaining madman who is dedicated to ultimately dying on film, and I can appreciate that kind of effort.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

teagone posted:

Still got my lanyard with ID access card in my desk drawer lol.

I still have the lanyard/ID card and that big poster, too.

One of the best ARG experiences ever. I sure hope the third movie doesn’t languish in production hell for another decade.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed. I put it on sometime when I...it's hard to describe, but when I'm in a certain mood, it's the perfect movie.

Bounced right off it. I didn't like the original Tron either

Just a bunch of nonsense

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shageletic posted:

I didn't like the original Tron either

woah, let's not say things we can't take back

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

I wanna know what kind of extensive fighter jet pilot training Tom Cruise got for that movie and just how many actual instances of him flying the plane there are in the movie.

Because Tom Cruise is a very entertaining madman who is dedicated to ultimately dying on film, and I can appreciate that kind of effort.

Cruise learned how to fly a jet either for this or a MI movie

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it came out that reports of how much he flew were overblown but it’s cool anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He flies a different non military jet or plane in the movie but not the F-18. He did ask, though, and honestly I 100% believe he would be able to actually fly one.

Lots of the flying is real though and I think every pilot actor actually got to spend time in a F18 setup for the movie where they were in the cockpit’s 2nd seat made the look like it was the pilot’s seat (when needed). So stuff like the G-pulls on turns and flips are real shot of the actors experiencing it and not CGI or some G machine in the ground.

Using as little CGI as possible was the only reason Cruise did this, provably.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He flies a different non military jet or plane in the movie but not the F-18. He did ask, though, and honestly I 100% believe he would be able to actually fly one.

Lots of the flying is real though and I think every pilot actor actually got to spend time in a F18 setup for the movie where they were in the cockpit’s 2nd seat made the look like it was the pilot’s seat (when needed). So stuff like the G-pulls on turns and flips are real shot of the actors experiencing it and not CGI or some G machine in the ground.

Using as little CGI as possible was the only reason Cruise did this, provably.

Yeah, I was about to post this. You’ll actually be seeing Tom Cruise in a real jet cockpit experiencing real G force, but he won’t be piloting the thing. Which, honestly, must drive him nuts, at least a little.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He learned to fly a helicopter in the last Mission Impossible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

He learned to fly a helicopter in the last Mission Impossible.

Oh I know. Which is why I have a scenario in my head where he shows up and says, "So how do I get qualified to fly one of these things?" And the Air Force/Navy (or whoever) says, "...what? You don't."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Oh I know. Which is why I have a scenario in my head where he shows up and says, "So how do I get qualified to fly one of these things?" And the Air Force/Navy (or whoever) says, "...what? You don't."

He actually asked. F-18’s are $70 million each and both the navy and his insurance told him (politely) to gently caress off because that was like half the movie budget.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He actually asked. F-18’s are $70 million each and both the navy and his insurance told him (politely) to gently caress off because that was like half the movie budget.

Ha. Yes. Excellent.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

Lol

But idk. The film works for me. I can’t explain it. The ending bit where Kevin dies and sacrifices himself as the music swells and he sees a brief flash of him and Sam long ago and says “goodbye kiddo.”

Mad chills bruh.

This was the first movie my daughter had a very strong emotional reaction to. I rewatched it about a year ago (she was 6 at the time) and the music and visuals just instantly dragged her in. I was watching by myself and she walked by and just sat down on the couch and never got up. At that scene I looked over and she was just silently crying tons of tears and said "he sacrificed himself because he loves his kid." First time I ever saw her sorta "get" that kinda moment in a movie. And I never thought it would have been f'in Tron Legacy to do it lol. But it was a great memory I'll have. Makes me misty just thinking about it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm surprised he didn't shell the money out of his own personal account, tbh.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Out of all the insane Tom Cruise poo poo on camera I still can't get over the time he hung out of an airplane taking off. That was a wild shot

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tim Whatley posted:

Out of all the insane Tom Cruise poo poo on camera I still can't get over the time he hung out of an airplane taking off. That was a wild shot

Yeah, it's my personal favorite as well. The HALO jump was cool, and learning to fly a helicopter made for some amazing shots, and the movie is better for him having learned it. But the sheer insanity of him hanging off the outside of the plane has yet to be topped. And it probably shouldn't be. I don't know how you could.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tim Whatley posted:

I was happy that was at the start of the movie, too. It wasn't some big thing waiting for the climax of the film that we all knew was coming thanks to trailers, I was like drat this is how the movie begins?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it's my personal favorite as well. The HALO jump was cool, and learning to fly a helicopter made for some amazing shots, and the movie is better for him having learned it. But the sheer insanity of him hanging off the outside of the plane has yet to be topped. And it probably shouldn't be. I don't know how you could.

Wingsuit through a mountain pass is where my mind goes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Wingsuit through a mountain pass is where my mind goes.

He’s doing a motorcycle to parachute stunt while chasing or following a runaway train for the next one there were a few set photos from filming last year.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thrawn527 posted:

But the sheer insanity of him hanging off the outside of the plane has yet to be topped. And it probably shouldn't be. I don't know how you could.

Hanging off of a spaceship.

Kinda legit surprised he hasn't gone to space yet (or he has and I forgot).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

Hanging off of a spaceship.

Kinda legit surprised he hasn't gone to space yet (or he has and I forgot).

Fast & Furious beat him to it (not in reality, just in the plot of the movie). But he is planning a movie where he actually goes to space, with the Top Gun: Maverick director, I think!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think there's a single movie soundtrack I throw on more often than Tron Legacy, it's a great album even on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's that and the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack for me.