Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I didn't see this posted yet - the first 90th Anniversary set. It's basically a set of Lego's greatest hits recreated at microscale. Pretty cool, even if I'm not personally interested in getting it. I just hope those Danish cowards put out a similar set for their biggest flops. Give me microscale Time Cruisers, Galidor, Jack Stone, Scala, Belville, Vidyo, Znap and Primo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

xzzy posted:

Always chock your wheels!

They used to be! Then I got that old red truck and I had to rearrange stuff and I never got back to it. I using blu-tack too, and that's a loving awful solution on rubber tyres.

I'm genuinely not quite sure what to do. I can't guarantee I've found all the pieces, and I don't know how much of the internals have come loose. I may need to do a lot of rebuilding here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skios posted:

I didn't see this posted yet - the first 90th Anniversary set. It's basically a set of Lego's greatest hits recreated at microscale. Pretty cool, even if I'm not personally interested in getting it. I just hope those Danish cowards put out a similar set for their biggest flops. Give me microscale Time Cruisers, Galidor, Jack Stone, Scala, Belville, Vidyo, Znap and Primo.

Man time moves fast because I swear we had the 60th anniversary a few years ago!

(I know that one was for the creation of lego bricks, it's a joke)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

GlenMR posted:

They used to be! Then I got that old red truck and I had to rearrange stuff and I never got back to it. I using blu-tack too, and that's a loving awful solution on rubber tyres.

I'm genuinely not quite sure what to do. I can't guarantee I've found all the pieces, and I don't know how much of the internals have come loose. I may need to do a lot of rebuilding here.

Remove all the loose plates from the top of the Falcon and thoroughly check the inside for any missing pieces. Tilt it around and you’ll hear them rattling around. Thoroughly check all of the environment and the carpet and the shelving units and anywhere that a piece could feasibly have bounced to, and then check another metre or two beyond that because physics is fun. Repair the beetle first to remove those pieces from the equation.

The blessing is it’s quite modular which makes it easy to repair in small sections. Take the damaged top plate, bottom plate and section around the gangway and rebuild them first. Then look at repairing the internal frame, using the instructions to disassemble in reverse as needed to access any damaged sections that are still buried. If your situation is anything like mine, the frame is surprisingly sturdy and the damage will mostly be localised and obvious.

Once you’ve fixed the frame and have the skin plates and gangway section back together, take stock of whatever pieces you have left. Double check the plates you just rebuilt to see if they came off there. If not then you’ll have to first check the index to see how many of each of the pieces there are in the whole set. Then you go through the manual page by page looking for each instance of that piece, until you’ve found and verified they’re all where they should be.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 29, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Skios posted:

I’m surprised there’s not a modular in there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

I’m surprised there’s not a modular in there.

It's because they're releasing another one with just modulars right? Right?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Didn't this set just come out a year or two ago?
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/60-years-of-the-lego-brick-40290

Is this 90th set the Lego Group Anniversary or something?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

w00tazn posted:

Didn't this set just come out a year or two ago?
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/60-years-of-the-lego-brick-40290

Is this 90th set the Lego Group Anniversary or something?

As pointed out elsewhere, the 60th anniversary stuff was specifically for the commercial launch of the Lego brick as we know it today. The 90th anniversary stuff is for the start of Lego as a toy company, specifically when Ole Kirk Christiansen started producing wooden toys, like the duck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Ouch, good luck with the repair.

When I returned to my family home for Christmas I found my Falcon on my bedroom floor in this state:

They blamed it on the cat. It obviously wasn't the cat, he has more grace and poise in his left paw than the rest of my idiot family put together. They wouldn't own up between them who was responsible, but it could have been my sister's now ex-boyfriend who went into my room to do something with the radiator and possibly fell over it while drunk or something.

I knew I wouldn't be happy until it was back in one piece so the next morning I spent roughly three hours going back through the entire manual a couple of times to put it back together and ensure that there wasn't a single stray piece. In doing so I also uncovered an error or two that had been made in the original building process (obviously during the sections I wasn't in charge of), so it actually finished up even better than it was before.

So far it's held up up as rock solid to the point where I have probably full on elbowed 10 times now and it hasn't even budged, but I often think about my Falcon on a knock off efferman stand displayed at 70 degrees on a small shelf. Just feels like a matter of time before I find it on the floor on 50 pieces.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Skios posted:

That Johnny thunder one rules. Even has the old hieroglyphic wall piece.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I had a cat knock my Apollo lunar lander onto the floor and that thing came apart more thoroughly than if a propellant tank had burst. That thing is fragile.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

I had a cat knock my Apollo lunar lander onto the floor and that thing came apart more thoroughly than if a propellant tank had burst. That thing is fragile.
This owns.

Considering a career change just so I can get the elements I want want.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
This is the only answer for cat people...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

This is the only answer for cat people...

Why is it half built, and why is there a second turret section just sitting on the back lol

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I managed to drop my Bonzai set. Finding all the stud gravel afterwards was not very fun, and I still keep finding them months later. Every time I vacuum and hear something small clink in I wince a little.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Attestant posted:

I managed to drop my Bonzai set. Finding all the stud gravel afterwards was not very fun, and I still keep finding them months later. Every time I vacuum and hear something small clink in I wince a little.

I knocked ship in a bottle off my cabinet at work once. Sometimes I still find a translucent blue stud on the ground.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I knocked ship in a bottle off my cabinet at work once. Sometimes I still find a translucent blue stud on the ground.

I know it seems like overkill but servepro will get all the water

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Attestant posted:

I was air-dusting my sets, and I got to the bonsai and gave it one blast before I realised. I think I've found all the gravel now.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
How common is it for a set to be missing a piece? I'm on my third one and was surprised that I had some left over for the first two, and for the first part of this one. But here I am on step 7 of 11 and I'm missing a small piece. Should I open the next bag to check or is it just a thing where I have to order it?

:smith:

fake edit: this was factory sealed

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Flyinglemur posted:

How common is it for a set to be missing a piece? I'm on my third one and was surprised that I had some left over for the first two, and for the first part of this one. But here I am on step 7 of 11 and I'm missing a small piece. Should I open the next bag to check or is it just a thing where I have to order it?

:smith:

fake edit: this was factory sealed

Possible, but in my experience nearly every time I think the set is missing a piece it's been there but I just dropped it onto the floor/it got stuck in a corner of the plastic bag/was hidden under another piece.

Extra 1x1/tiny pieces are standard, the bags are measured by weight and they're not perfectly accurate so they figure it's better to over rather than underestimate. Most of the time you'll get one extra of each type of tiny piece in each bag. If it's any bigger, like a 2x1 piece, then you likely hosed up somewhere and missed a step. The exception are for pieces that aren't produced individually so they'll just give you whatever else is left, like in the Probe Droid I just built which leaves you with a ton of weird extra tool pieces.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 29, 2022

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Butterfly Valley posted:

Possible, but in my experience nearly every time I think the set is missing a piece it's been there but I just dropped it onto the floor/it got stuck in a corner of the plastic bag/was hidden under another piece.

Same. I think in the last 20 years I've had to hit up Lego for a replacement piece that was honest to god missing one time. Kind of amazing really.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solely based on posts in this thread, missing pieces have gotten more common in the last few years. My guess would be as sets get more detailed and have more 1x1 sized bits, it's harder for the scales to catch problems.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’ve had missing pieces once or maybe twice in 10ish years of building way too many sets. Definitely was missing some obscure part in a later stage of Barracuda Bay (it was like a decorative piece on the railing or something).

I feel like I’ve had a legit missing piece one other time that I was just able to replace out of my own stock, so it’s not quite as clear to me what that was. Every other time it’s been in the bag still or somehow obscured.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a cardboard box lid I use to separate the pieces for whichever bag number that I'm on. I don't have that many pieces left so I know it isn't being obscured and I'm pretty sure it didn't fall out :( It is a very small piece but it is very noticeable if it wasn't there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I have a cardboard box lid I use to separate the pieces for whichever bag number that I'm on. I don't have that many pieces left so I know it isn't being obscured and I'm pretty sure it didn't fall out :( It is a very small piece but it is very noticeable if it wasn't there.

You know you can just contact lego customer service and they'll send you a replacement piece no questions asked?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Building the Probe Droid I thought I was missing pieces, but they were in the unnumbered bags.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't had a missing piece, but I had one that was the wrong color and had to get a replacement.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The fastest and easiest solution is to call up Lego customer service because as soon as you hang up you will find the missing piece.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got a set for christmas that was missing an entire bag, presumably the fault of Target, I imagine, but LEGO customer service was really great and sent me an entire replacement.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lego CS overnighted for free my replacement sets that Lasership lost. The only difference was the Lambo had gone on back order but it’ll get FedEx’d as well once it’s in.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Both times I’ve had missing pieces they were replaced with a different piece. Titanic I got a white plate instead of a white brick and Tumbler I got a 2 stud wing instead of a 3 stud L.

The other half dozen times I thought I was missing something I found it eventually.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Star Wars dioramas are up for preorder. The trash compactor is $90 rather than $100. Still bad considering Dagobah is $80 with 300 more pieces. I had a bunch of VIP points so I snagged Dagobah and the Trench Run.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The fastest and easiest solution is to call up Lego customer service because as soon as you hang up you will find the missing piece.

This one had me :)

I have already contact customer support and they are sending me a new piece. I figured it would be easy, I was just wondering how common this was overall. I appreciate everyone's input here for the new old guy

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
As a non-SW person I think the Trench Run is very cool but lol at that price for the Trash Compactor

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I don’t drink so I can’t call this Drunk Buying Lego so I guess it’s Mindless Lego Buying? I went to order the trench run and trash compactor sets using VIP points and wound up also ordering the Thor New Asgard set and the Endgame Final Battle set. Caught me completely by surprise when they showed up at my door today.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

It's weird they're doing the trench run seeing as they made a smaller version as a GWP for May the Fourth back in 2020...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I’m sorta waiting for May 4 with any purchases but I wonder if we’ll even see a GWP this time round what with these vignettes. Trench Run is the only one I’d get and whatever I need to get the GWP if there’s any.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

refleks posted:

It's weird they're doing the trench run seeing as they made a smaller version as a GWP for May the Fourth back in 2020...

That one was from the Return of the Jedi though!

And, y'know, they can charge 60$ a pop this time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

You know you can just contact lego customer service and they'll send you a replacement piece no questions asked?

It's really easy too, making replacement part orders is like a significant portion of my job.

Hell, there's an easy way to do it without even talking to customer service. Go to LEGO.com, click on help and then replacement parts. The system can automatically cancel orders if they're too big or have high-demand parts, basically trying to stop fake orders of people trying to get parts that aren't actually missing, but if that happens you can just use live chat to talk to CS and we'll probably approve the order if it's not suspicious.

Replacement parts come from the Bricks & Pieces warehouse in Denmark, but they skip the queue that paid parts are in so they usually ship the next business day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I haven't built a true Technic model in decades. Any particular sets out now that people would recommend? I'd be mostly interested in anything that's around $60 or below rather than one of the enormous multi hundred dollar ones, and preferably something with some fun Technic features that you don't see in the Creator cars. I know at that price point it won't be the kind of model with full working transmissions and so forth, but wondering if there's any particularly neat sets at the lower end there.

Also unrelated, any opinions on the big Tumbler? I generally prefer the minifig scale Batmobiles over the big ones for cost reasons, but I do like the look of that one.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 30, 2022