Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seriously, I'd think they'd have better security than that. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9GlVTAhYyc

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Did something happen to Chris Rock?

I'm just here to find out who won the Oscar for Best Boy.

The Best, Best Boy if you will.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Trollologist posted:

Did something happen to Chris Rock?

I'm just here to find out who won the Oscar for Best Boy.

The Best, Best Boy if you will.

I won it but I never got an invitation to the ceremony, they just mailed it to me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcCXcSRVA9A

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

That was quick thinking on the academy’s part giving Will that tiny Jada statue to calm him down. Good work!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1509329620822224897

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:eyepop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat it people.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

alright. im on team will now.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

precision posted:

drat it people.

you made a good thread

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndXNdwZTSY

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Why exactly was anyone asking Jim Davis about the slap? Who was looking for his opinion specifically? :raise:

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why exactly was anyone asking Jim Davis about the slap? Who was looking for his opinion specifically? :raise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc&t=47s

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

YeahTubaMike posted:

It was me. I asked him to address the fiasco.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i want to say that garfield slapped the poo poo out of odie on a pretty reg basis

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
He sent Nermal to Abu Dhabi he seems like a cool cat that is an expensive trip!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
garfeld is pretty hosed up when you really think about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
someon should do like, garfield but its hosed up

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

precision posted:

i want to say that garfield slapped the poo poo out of odie on a pretty reg basis

The time he kicked Odie into the air so hard that Odie came back down five strips later blew my mind as a kid.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

precision posted:

someon should do like, garfield but its hosed up

There's an av about it

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!
It's worth noting that Jim Davis does not write or draw Garfield comics at this point in time. There's a creative team for the comics that group writes the strip and then one or two people (it was Jeff* and Margo when I worked there) who use largely pre-existing artwork for the dailies. You can technically request new art (it's called a CReq), but that is to be done weeks to preferably months in advance and is usually reserved for Sundays.

Partnerships can get new art generated basically on the fly as the asset creator works in that department, but they're notorious for making the comics team jump through hoops for any "favors".

Blocking and dialogue are pitched to and approved by Jim prior to collaging. Certain ideas get stuck in his head as "must have" Garfield experiences. Keep in mind, everything is done well in advance of being sent to the syndicate so certain ideas just kind of fester in his brain over time.

Anyway, there was to be a strip where Garfield basically backhands Jon for being asinine, and Margo was out on maternity leave, and Jeff could not find any Garfield-backhand-slap assets. He'd been looking for hours and had only turned up a couple of assets with Garfield shaking his fist, rolling up his sleeves (as much as a nude cat can, anyway), and the classic clap-on-the-back asset. He'd assumed we had Garfield backhanding somebody so no CReq had been submitted.

He called the writing team to see if they could change the blocking, but Jim had declared this a "must have" (Jon was telling Garfield about his tie collection) so they weren't budging. He tried to make one himself, and while his illustration of Garfield's hand was lifelike and gorgeous, it didn't gel well with Gen4 Garfield aesthetics. After having a nervous breakdown in the parking lot, sitting sideways half out of his car with NPR blaring and chain smoking, he finally took the long walk over to Partnerships and got someone to whip up a new backhand asset.

I'm not sure what exactly he did for Rae Anne to get this art done, but I do know that by the time it was discovered that the asset he was looking for had existed but was tagged with Garfield-smack as opposed to slap (it was hidden amongst 73 assets of Garfield wielding rolled up newspapers), Jeff had divorced from his wife, lost custody of his kid, and was living with Rae Anne who would later turn out to be addicted to benzos and got him in the same boat.

*All names, except Jim's, have been changed.

Anyway, Jim Davis definitely has not been writing or drawing Garfield lately.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why lasagne? I mean, cats don't eat lasagne. What was the deal with that?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
He's Italian

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i literally can't think of a single hosed up rendition of garfield not a single one

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
also make fun of jim davis all you want he's gone on record saying he likes lasagna cat and that automatically makes him cool

if he goes on record saying he likes pilotredsun i'll fuckin marry him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhJjXl9Rk

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seriously, I'd think they'd have better security than that. :effort:

The academy likely didn't want to have Will make an even bigger scene. I doubt the Oscar showrunners want to risk cutting to commercials for a couple of minutes because Will Smith is screaming while being forcibly removed or (depending if he gets violent with them too) restrained. They figured the best course of action would be to let him be and push the punishment until after the Oscars conclude.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Amarcarts posted:

I think a lot of big stars are insecure because deep down they know there is a big difference between being a great actor and a being a movie star. It doesn't matter how successful you are financially as the writing is kind of on the wall that the majority of your filmography is throwaway schlock with a handful of unsuccessful passion projects. It means you became famous because you were likeable to a bankable demographic not because you were talented.

I heard that John Travolta used to be a BIG movie star and all and I'm just like, really? ok. that's sad

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anytime something weird or funny there's a million shitheads that come out with the worst arguments in why it's fake or covering up pedophilia or something. There's nothing worse than a killjoy, stupid ones at that. Where do these motherfuckers come from?

They're fake.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Bless Jim Davis' heart for making this comment. Hilarious.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Obeah posted:

Anyway, Jim Davis definitely has not been writing or drawing Garfield lately.

He must be. Otherwise he would have the time to keep up with the oscars.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Obeah posted:

It's worth noting that Jim Davis does not write or draw Garfield comics at this point in time.

Is it?

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

You didn't think so?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

its_my_birthday posted:

the book i am legend is actually really loving cool but ever since that will smith movie you can't recommend it to anyone without sounding like a dumbass so gently caress him

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh gently caress, happy birthday bro

Happy birthday!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bar Patron posted:

You didn't think so?

What's Govfield?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
covfefe

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

YeahTubaMike posted:

What's Govfield?

That's what everybody called him when he was the governor of California that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im pretty sure garfield comics are procedurally generated and Jim Davis is a pen name for a comic making AI