Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I thought it was also funny because they just show up out of the blue in "stranger's clothing" looking nothing like anyone else in the area they live in, looking like they fell out of new york into a fantasy land, and that was just completely normal to each of them, and no one else brings it up just [Grunts Acknowledgement]

I think that first hour of the game gave me brain damage

these are all deliberate choices that make a certain kind of sense by the end

i mean, the story of this game isn't gonna win any awards, it's no the last of us, but it isn't nearly as stupid as the first 10 minutes or the twitter dogpile will lead you to believe, there is an arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The story starts off memetastic as hell but it legitimately gets good and interesting as the game goes on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

What magic words do we have to say to make 'I hope Final Fantasy goes primarily turn-based again someday because I dislike all their attempts at making them action games' a valid opinion to hold?

Have you played FFX-2 yet

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Outside of the extreme shitpost nature of it, SOP doesn't look all that interesting to me. But I'm not bothered by all the people who seem to enjoy it either, in fact I'm happy for them :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They make turn based final fantasies, under the name "bravely" for some reason

Also WOFF if for some reason you like ATB

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That said, if you played for an hour and aren't enjoying the gameplay, you probably should just stop because you've got a pretty good sense of what the rest of the game is going to feel like by now, that at least isn't going to fundamentally change

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I thought they did a pretty good job fleshing out the narrative of FF1 (which was already pretty convoluted)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
FFI was a great sort of setting for a Dark Souls-style storytelling, since it's already got that vibe of 'everything big has already happened and then you turn up to the ruins' that FromSoft games do a lot with. So it really disappointed me when they decided to do that, instead.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have you played FFX-2 yet

Yeah, it's alright. I think I ultimately preferred X, but we deserve more X-2s in the world. VERY easy to see why it got the treatment it did at release from the general gaming zeitgeist at the time that pointed me away from it, though, it is very proudly feminine at a time when western gaming was very proudly... well, not.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean it's the Nioh devs not fromsoft and that wasn't so much a thing in those games.

I guess this is a problem with the whole Soulslike term, not really a descriptor of tone or atmosphere.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

They make turn based final fantasies, under the name "bravely" for some reason

Also WOFF if for some reason you like ATB

I do like bravely, and WoFF is fun, I should finish that.

also never played Nioh and never cared to, have beat DS1->3 but kind of tired of that genre tbqh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

What magic words do we have to say to make 'I hope Final Fantasy goes primarily turn-based again someday because I dislike all their attempts at making them action games' a valid opinion to hold?

That is a valid opinion to hold. The invalid bits are where you spin off of that and say all action games are bad or start making up plot points for a game that isn't finished or you haven't played to get mad at to justify not liking action games. Which is what you've historically done ITT when talking about the FF games in that style and since people tend to remember particularly stupid posts people remember these insane takes you've had and that weighs on their opinions every time you slither out to say the same take you've had 6 times already in the recent past that inevitably leads to one of those breakdowns.

Such as "God am I not ALLOWED to have OPINIONS" when you respond to someone saying "I prefer the turn based style" with "Careful friend...people here are too rude and cruel if you say things like that" cause that ignores the fact that it's not that opinion that makes people react to you like this. It's all your other posts and how you talk to other people and about things that does.

Like seriously the last time you talked about SoP it was to talk about how you didn't care for it and didn't like Jack based on you misremembering part of a cutscene you sort of watched from twitter clips about it. Nobody cares that you don't like action games, it's that you have to constantly make poo poo up to justify not liking poo poo and rationalizing it into being Correct, which you do with...so many topics. Constantly. Like the breakdown about the name Clive. Or writing fanfiction of what the plot of ff16 will be to get mad at.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 31, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Jack owns

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

:hmmyes:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
A reminder that the moment the game was announced Cleretic, you had a spiel about how Square Enix was refusing to put women in their game. Which you've also done to FFXVI.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

[grunt]

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

[grunt of confusion]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

[grunt of confusion]

[mildly annoyed groan]

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mainline Final Fantasy is likely never going to be turn based again.

And people don't have to like that, but the sooner it's accepted that the series just isn't for them anymore the sooner they can move on.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I come in to these threads like three or four times a year and even I know to just skim past Cleretic posts.

I've even agreed with them on a couple of occasions and have seen them make totally normal non groan worthy posts, and still skim past them.

Anyway Jack and friends own and SoP is a really fun revisit to FF1 that does a really good job of having the same tone and dialog complexity of that game, which is now hyper basic, while also being a fun Nioh-lite. A Nioh 2.5 but more simple while still having variety and choice in how you want to play it. It's the best presented story Team Ninja has put out yet imo, far better for being mostly laughably dumb and then turning good given the confines of FF1. It's level designs are also a fun tribute to most of the FF cataloge even if that makes extremely little sense in the context of FF1 and the translation into Nioh style levels leaves a lot of them only extremely vaguely similar to the game they're supposedly directly from. The soundtrack is also good even if it's a bunch of remixes that aren't FFXIV flavored.

Also add my name to the pile of people who would instantly buy a new tactics (not advanced though) or WotL remaster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I thought it was also funny because they just show up out of the blue in "stranger's clothing" looking nothing like anyone else in the area they live in, looking like they fell out of new york into a fantasy land, and that was just completely normal to each of them, and no one else brings it up just [Grunts Acknowledgement]

I think that first hour of the game gave me brain damage

I think what people mean is that these are actual plot elements. There’s a reason they’re dressed like that and act like that. It’s not just to be funny.

But again yeah like others said if you don’t like the combat there’s no reason to buy the game. Just take consolation that it’s a spin-off by a different studio entirely and not indicative of anything for the mainline series.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

SoP has to be satire. Everything about it is wrong and boring.

The combat is mundane, the "talk to people in the town" is so on the nose "come back now, ya hear" and poo poo you wouldn't hear in an indie rpg game because it's been made fun of for 30 years, the story jumps from one thread to another with sometimes just either a "later" and other times "oh ok, I guess these people who walked up to each other are friends now"

and the characters so strongly deliver lines that are half like, well, close to being google translated

it goes from fighting tiamat, to a tutorial zone, to jack walking outside of town and some dudes showing him their stones and go "friends?" and jack is just like "yeah" then it's just "jack and company did stuff and came back" with no lead up to why anyone should give a poo poo about these people

The camera control is not great, the game looks like rear end, and so far the only thing I like about it is laughing at the game for being bad and sometimes you press O to watch an absurd cutscene like a tower being knocked over or jack opening a wolf's mouth and headbutting it and it explodes in crystal shards. Like, that last two parts is cool. I've been less confused and shocked from a kojima game

I was very interested in this game because I love Nioh (not such a big FF fan), and I have to agree with you. Played through the demo and the cringy story was the best and most intriguing art, honestly. Everything else, graphics, controls, combat system, level design, feels like a huge downgrade from Nioh 2. Especially the graphics. Like, this game looks and runs worse on my PS5 than the original Nioh did on my base PS4.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like expecting FF to go back to turn based instead of this action rpg kick its been on is probably expecting too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkj-uvg2sRU

:ughh:

you fool. nimrod!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beat SOP yesterday. And you know what? The story turned out to be pretty good. The relationship between Jack and Astos was especially well done imo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The marvelfication of pop culture has led to an entire generation of people unable to tell if something is a joke or if the writers are "in on it" unless a character mugs for the camera constantly. Sad!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MechaX posted:

Going through FF6 Pixel Remaster trying to finish that up and loving hell, that Celestriad relic (turns all spells to 1 MP cost) that you get from the Brachiosaur is a loving myth

I also spent the evening trying to get it and got my party from level 40 to like... level 75. I... don't think you need to be remotely that high to fight the final boss, right?

I beat the game with my characters between 30-35, only lost 2 of them between the 2nd to last and final phases.

You also *really* don't need the Celestriad because Osmose is incredibly broken and with Quick you don't even need to sacrifice a character's turn to have them absorb 450+ MP off 1 Osmose

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is this also a Chrono series thread because

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/chrono-cross-the-radical-dreamers-edition posted:

UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played.

SE really is run by some of the dumbest mother fuckers

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Everything should have XII’s battle system

:barf: Please god no

If I wanted to play something with autoplay, I would start on mobile games

Heath posted:

Hahaha wtf

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Heath posted:

Sigh

e: I assume the Steam release will have a mod for this within 48 hours lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

Laffo unsold. New sound track is bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heath posted:

Lmfao well, see ya later

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It bugs the poo poo out of me because the PR updated soundtracks were uniformly amazing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So remember this game that is absolutely crippled by numerous fundamental flaws that still has strong nostalgic attachment due to its stunning soundscape and art style? What it we got rid of half of the positives.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's the most Chrono Cross change.

It's also the first remaster in awhile to have worse music apparently.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

So remember this game that is absolutely crippled by numerous fundamental flaws that still has strong nostalgic attachment due to its stunning soundscape and art style? What it we got rid of half of the positives.

That'll be $39.99. Original soundtrack DLC available for $19.99.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So will the remaster just have those seven or so songs "arranged" or is it the entire soundtrack?

I... might be able to handle just the few songs but if it's the entire soundtrack, nah miss me with that

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Are the rearranged cc tracks that bad?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Madmarker posted:

Are the rearranged cc tracks that bad?

Compare the bit we have from the remaster to the original.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're not bad on their own. But they feel like SE handed the songs to individual artists and said here, reinterpret this song, so rather than being the cohesive vision of a soundtrack that the original is, we have several disparate styles that sound kind of familiar but don't mesh together in the way the original's Celtic-Caribbean fusion does.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Beat SOP yesterday. And you know what? The story turned out to be pretty good. The relationship between Jack and Astos was especially well done imo

I think the thing that hits really well with the story to me is that they do a good job of just putting you in Jack's head. You never really have more information than he does (outside the loading screen fools missives I suppose) so you get to put everything together in real time with him instead of having a third party narrator explaining things to you with scenes from somewhere else that the party wouldn't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I do not like this.