Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ola posted:

Sure, but it just has the story hallmarks of a feather turning in to a five chickens (per second), which happens whenever ATOMS are involved. "Acute radiation syndrome" requires a big dose and doesn't seem to be mentioned in the source. Victims would probably be radioactive too, so there would be a very big hubbub in receiving them. I think the most likely scenario, if there is any at all, is that they were in a bad area and someone later said "gently caress, better get them checked out" even though they had zero symptoms.

The exclusion zone itself isn't radioactive enough to give you serious symptoms with even a month's exposure. If it was, wind and weather would be spreading harmful radiation constantly anyway. That said, if anyone were to find some odd way of loving this up badly, perhaps trying to sabotage the active power plant, obviously it would be the dumb Russians.

Might have eaten mushrooms/berries or wildlife from the area. The supply situation probably has only worsened from beginning of the month when a lot of them were already without food supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ola posted:

Sure, but it just has the story hallmarks of a feather turning in to a five chickens (per second), which happens whenever ATOMS are involved. "Acute radiation syndrome" requires a big dose and doesn't seem to be mentioned in the source. Victims would probably be radioactive too, so there would be a very big hubbub in receiving them. I think the most likely scenario, if there is any at all, is that they were in a bad area and someone later said "gently caress, better get them checked out" even though they had zero symptoms.

The exclusion zone itself isn't radioactive enough to give you serious symptoms with even a month's exposure. If it was, wind and weather would be spreading harmful radiation constantly anyway. That said, if anyone were to find some odd way of loving this up badly, perhaps trying to sabotage the active power plant, obviously it would be the dumb Russians.

I could believe it if they have been digging in the irradiated areas.

If the only increased exposure had been just down to dust stirred up by vehicles I think as you say the wind and rain would have already dispersed any contamination in the top layer of the soil.

If they're digging into it I think there's a much higher chance of hitting previously undisturbed contamination and possibly also concentrations that have been leached by rainfall from higher in the soil profile. While I don't think a single day of digging would give anyone much to worry about, if they've been working every day since the start of the invasion to build trenches or whatever then I could see it potentially being an issue. Things like campfires and drinking groundwater in the area would further increase their exposure.

Apparently a day in the area is the equivalent radiation as a chest xray and that is just walking around without disturbing soil or whatever so I could easily imagine people getting unwell if they're doing dumb poo poo like digging.

I think part of the issue is that the 'acute radiation poisoning' line brings to mind hair falling out, vomiting and skin peeling but I doubt they got that bad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charliegrs posted:

Putin could probably field an entire battalion of weird Americans if he just offered to fly out and equip any chud to fight the evil woke Ukrainians

Colonel Seagal's Chudsnazi battalion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only reason the chuds wouldn't desert the second they realized there were no Twinkie rations, and that you can't complain to the manager of the army, is that they couldn't get far enough without a truck.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The soldiers in the Red Forest might have used some of the wood to make a fire.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

MadJackal posted:

Realistically, what's the best strategy here?

Pick up a mines and throw them in the river? Don't get blown up and delicately transfer them 50 meters away from the road?
Blow them up from a distance if you can. If you don't have the gear to do that safely, you have 3 options:

1: Carefully drive through without disturbing the mines like in the video. This isn't guaranteed to work even if you manage not to touch the mines or even if someone else has driven the exact path before you. Depending on the fuze used, the mine may detonate based on magnetic field changes instead of direct pressure, and could also have a timed delay or a vehicle countdown that allows a certain amount of vehicles to pass. You can probably assume these don't have any specific programming like that so if you saw someone else safely drive through before you, it's fairly likely that you could get through fine if you imitate them.

2: Try to clear a path by moving as few of them as possible. This is dangerous because they may have anti-handling devices to detonate the mine if it is lifted or disturbed. Use the longest possible stick you can to push them aside, stay very low, and pray if you're into that.

3: Find a different route. Especially since the mines could (should, if the people responsible were coordinated instead of just doing whatever they feel like) have people guarding them and waiting to ambush people while they are in the middle of a minefield.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In the Wolfensteineque game about this in 30 years time it's gonna turn out this was all about Putin creating a branch of radioactive super soldiers.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Senor Tron posted:

In the Wolfensteineque game about this in 30 years time it's gonna turn out this was all about Putin creating a branch of radioactive super soldiers.

The stalker mods about this are going to be loving wild. Wilder even than an original IP based around the war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1509250090774454275

KitConstantine posted:

We heard of *Russian troops stationed in Ossetia* moving to Ukraine a week ago. These are stated to be ethnic Ossetian troops, and ethnic minority soldiers appear to have borne an outsized amount of the burden of deployment so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least at Donbas, which isn't that much closer to Ossetia. The post says they were in Ukraine

No, we heard of Ossetian troops going there.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/26/georgias-breakaway-region-sends-troops-to-ukraine-a77094

Russian troops from Ossetia were rumoured to leave a week before that.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Hope those Ossetian soldiers enjoy their new regime after that upcoming democratic referendum.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Give them those Gepard SPAAGs you fucks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1509253239266492433

Soon as I read the originally tweet was bit confused as thought the German military was meant to be unfunded as gently caress, but yeah subsequent tweet cleared it up.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't trust a single word out of her mouth anymore. When there are pictures of Ukrainians holding the weapons in their hands I might consider this not bullshit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't trust a single word out of her mouth anymore. When there are pictures of Ukrainians holding the weapons in their hands I might consider this not bullshit.

Does she has a history of just saying what ever and reneging on contracts, or history or of being a bit incompetent and sort of trying and just not being able to fulfill them?

Like it seems the German government as a whole is pretty keen -outside oil/gas stuff- to support Ukraine.

Edit: and now I remember it, their original 5000 helmets thing. Like helmets are good and all, but that was a bit WTF.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

dr_rat posted:

Does she has a history of just saying what ever and reneging on contracts, or history or of being a bit incompetent and sort of trying and just not being able to fulfill them?

Like it seems the German government as a whole is pretty keen -outside oil/gas stuff- to support Ukraine.

Edit: and now I remember it, their original 5000 helmets thing. Like helmets are good and all, but that was a bit WTF.

No, the comment was probably more about sending Ukraine manpads that were around from the GDR. Except a lot of them were not actually usable because they were damaged by mold apparently?

The helmet thing was Ukraine sending a wishlist and the German government skipping over all the weapons on there, seeing the helmets and going "best I can do is that".

Anyway, let's just say that we had lots of poo poo ministers of defense in the last couple of years and she is fitting well into the list.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The bonus feature of the helmets was that they were announced one month before the invasion, but didn't arrive until a day or two after Russia already invaded.

Maybe Germany thought a puppet regime installed within 24 hours of a Russian Blitzkrieg didn't need new helmets.

:thunk:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr. Apollo posted:

The soldiers in the Red Forest might have used some of the wood to make a fire.

Group psychosis and/or shirking?

Upset stomach and a sunburn seems a small price to pay to get out of a war zone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1509434572043431940

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Cool a deep dive into Russian re-armament of Nazi Germany, the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and Russian funding of far-right parties across Europe.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall who but radiation safety people were saying it's not plausible they could get acute radiation sickness from the alleged circumstances, and the bit about digging trenches seems to be a joke.

Now they potentially could have a slightly increased cancer risk over decades, but the radioactivity is not high enough to cause acute effects even if they were wallowing in the disturbed topsoil.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Red Cross are absolute lying scum

https://twitter.com/ICRC/status/1508729524426522628?t=BagcDLt4YC2kTwInfn1Isw&s=19

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Not sure whether this was posted or mentioned before, but Russia allegedly shot down their own aircraft

UK spy chief claims Russian soldiers accidentally shot down their own aircraft and are struggling with low morale

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Made this for another thread but in case anyone needs to explain this

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What's the deal here? Could the Russians be doing stuff under the Red Cross flag in some areas instead?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1509453686598209540?t=cMTyExIFPVko9ZDbsLBJog&s=19

Seems like they're not happy with the casualty numbers yet...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ola posted:

What's the deal here? Could the Russians be doing stuff under the Red Cross flag in some areas instead?

I feel that would be a far reaching allegation, but at this point the circumstantial evidence does only reinforce the suspicion that Red Cross in Eastern Europe collaborates with Putin’s regime to some extent.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Dwesa posted:

Not sure whether this was posted or mentioned before, but Russia allegedly shot down their own aircraft

UK spy chief claims Russian soldiers accidentally shot down their own aircraft and are struggling with low morale

Russia shot down 6 or 8 of their own aircraft in the recent Georgian conflict.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

ICRC is sticking to neutrality and seems to trust Russia at their word that they're not forcibly deporting Ukrainians to be disappeared into Russian territory. So much trust that they had a photo op shaking hands with a high level Russian government member. They had a report posted, which they later deleted, tallying 30k+ evacuees into Russian filtration camps from mostly the Donbas area. They haven't exactly posted anything since to build trust in this process and are instead posting stuff like the above tweet. Ukrainian support is also rightfully pissed at them receiving tons of cash for humanitarian aid and not actively working in the worst spots, instead opening up offices in Russian territory across the border.

That's my understanding at least. A lot of typical "big NGO took donations and isn't helping much" type of stuff driving it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Charliegrs posted:

Putin could probably field an entire battalion of weird Americans if he just offered to fly out and equip any chud to fight the evil woke Ukrainians

Way more than a single battalion. I mean how many Americans went over to fight for Rhodesia because Soldier of Fortune magazine told them to? And that was before America was as radicalized as it is now and without the Fox News Cinematic Universe telling them 24/7 that big daddy Putin is the best and here to save the West. Granted I'm sure they would get less of a thrill from murdering Ukrainians than they would black people, but if 4chan is any indication - and it is - Slavs aren't seen as white. Please ignore Russians.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The American volunteers would last about until the first lunch with Russian field rations.

War is hell, but there's a limit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1509462280936857600

Finally we’ll get to the bottom of it.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
In conversation today the Chernobyl motorbike rider hoax of 2004 was mentioned. Turns out her Angelfire pages still exists, and is being updated (Last update March 24th)

https://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I guess this poo poo is how a Trump led invasion of Iran would have gone if he'd pulled the trigger back in 2020. Maybe with more air superiority.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Feliday Melody posted:

The American volunteers would last about until the first lunch with Russian field rations.

War is hell, but there's a limit.

I mean I remember hearing about how disastrously inept the American auxiliaries were in Rhodesia, too. I'm not saying Putin would get *good* mercenaries if he offered to pay Americans, but I am saying he'd get a lot of them.

EDIT:

evilbastard posted:

In conversation today the Chernobyl motorbike rider hoax of 2004 was mentioned. Turns out her Angelfire pages still exists, and is being updated (Last update March 24th)

https://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

Holy loving poo poo what. I thought Angelfire had gone the way of Geocities!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Way more than a single battalion. I mean how many Americans went over to fight for Rhodesia because Soldier of Fortune magazine told them to? And that was before America was as radicalized as it is now and without the Fox News Cinematic Universe telling them 24/7 that big daddy Putin is the best and here to save the West. Granted I'm sure they would get less of a thrill from murdering Ukrainians than they would black people, but if 4chan is any indication - and it is - Slavs aren't seen as white. Please ignore Russians.
Despite the best efforts of Fucker Carlson and other vermin, it doesn't really seem to work, not even among Republicans
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/03/30/zelenskyy-inspires-widespread-confidence-from-u-s-public-as-views-of-putin-hit-new-low/

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yes, this clear and unequivocal denial is solid proof of lies and deceit.

The Red Cross is certainly the villain of this conflict.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, pretty much. She heroically announced 2700 Strelas for Ukraine. Ukraine got 500. Weeks later when they started asking questions when the rest will arrive she just ghosted them. And after the German media learned about this and started investigating she just categorically stopped answering any questions about weapons deliveries due to ~security concerns~.

She now has established a pretty solid reputation of not giving a gently caress about the ministry and just parking there for a while until she gets waved through as interior minister.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yes, this clear and unequivocal denial is solid proof of lies and deceit.

The Red Cross is certainly the villain of this conflict.

How do we know they aren't behind this conflict to get more people that need help? :hmmyes:

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, pretty much. She heroically announced 2700 Strelas for Ukraine. Ukraine got 500. Weeks later when they started asking questions when the rest will arrive she just ghosted them. And after the German media learned about this and started investigating she just categorically stopped answering any questions about weapons deliveries due to ~security concerns~.

She now has established a pretty solid reputation of not giving a gently caress about the ministry and just parking there for a while until she gets waved through as interior minister.
Strelas from DDR, so +30 years old. They weren't in that great shape.
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deut...79-dac5f24ced94

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

GABA ghoul posted:

Might have eaten mushrooms/berries or wildlife from the area. The supply situation probably has only worsened from beginning of the month when a lot of them were already without food supplies.

Even if you went to the hottest hot spot in the red forest, dug up a bunch of dirt, and ate it, you still wouldn't get acute radiation poisoning. You would, at worst, get statistically high levels of cancer in the next few years from soldiers stationed in and around the plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dwesa posted:

Despite the best efforts of Fucker Carlson and other vermin, it doesn't really seem to work, not even among Republicans
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/03/30/zelenskyy-inspires-widespread-confidence-from-u-s-public-as-views-of-putin-hit-new-low/

Interesting, thanks.