Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Motronic posted:

Yet done terribly wrong all the same. Nobody competent has put copper in concrete for however many decades O2 barrier PEX has been available. That's also a laughably small run which surely won't be suitable for the purpose in either the short or long term. Concrete simply doesn't conduct heat that quickly/well. The loop will be above boiling in no time, no matter what GPM that's run at unless the heat load is reduced. It also won't work to sink short duration heat events for the same reason.

Huh. I was thinking a computer wouldn't need too big a loop to sink its own heat. Copper is definitely the wrong material for that, did this guy just put it in the forms on his own without consulting any of his contractors? Or was this entirely DIY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arrath posted:

Huh. I was thinking a computer wouldn't need too big a loop to sink its own heat.

Maybe not if it was in a different media - like forced air (with fins on the copper) or a water to water exchanger.

The calculations are easy and readily available because they're the same things you'd be using for radiant heat in the slab. 6 meters/yards of 1/2" copper isn't gonna do poo poo.

I'm not sure there's any way to ever make this work properly because you need to control the incoming water temperature between something like 85 to 120 or you'll do damage to floor finishing and the circulator pump itself.

Plus what's the point? If you wanted to recycle that waste heat there are better ways to do it (indirect fired water heater tank) and let's pretend the system could be made to be efficient: you're still heating up the drat room you tried to get the heat out of in the first place so now you need to over-air condition that one room in the summer.

This is an "idea" that wasn't even thought 1/4 of the way through by someone who has zero experience with anything relevant to what they are doing yet no awareness of that and a complete lack of imagination that it just might be more complicated that it looks.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 27, 2022

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Yet done terribly wrong all the same. Nobody competent has put copper in concrete for however many decades O2 barrier PEX has been available. That's also a laughably small run which surely won't be suitable for the purpose in either the short or long term. Concrete simply doesn't conduct heat that quickly/well. The loop will be above boiling in no time, no matter what GPM that's run at unless the heat load is reduced. It also won't work to sink short duration heat events for the same reason.

LOL I didn't look that close the first time and it's like 20 feet of pipe? In the time he took to make it he could have installed 500' of pex in a nice long loop throughout the entire footprint of the house.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Goddamn that pisses me off.

In a condo I was working on, the owner put control valves and the shower head on opposite sides of the shower. It opened my eyes up that with just a little extra piping you can make it feel so luxurious because you don't get sprayed with the water while you adjust it. (the downside to me is that it takes longer for the temp change to register on the other end)

And that's all they had to do here! Just route the shower head to the proper wall. It's one pipe!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Motronic posted:

Maybe not if it was in a different media - like forced air (with fins on the copper) or a water to water exchanger.

The calculations are easy and readily available because they're the same things you'd be using for radiant heat in the slab. 6 meters/yards of 1/2" copper isn't gonna do poo poo.

I'm not sure there's any way to ever make this work properly because you need to control the incoming water temperature between something like 85 to 120 or you'll do damage to floor finishing and the circulator pump itself.

Plus what's the point? If you wanted to recycle that waste heat there are better ways to do it (indirect fired water heater tank) and let's pretend the system could be made to be efficient: you're still heating up the drat room you tried to get the heat out of in the first place so now you need to over-air condition that one room in the summer.

This is an "idea" that wasn't even thought 1/4 of the way through by someone who has zero experience with anything relevant to what they are doing yet no awareness of that and a complete lack of imagination that it just might be more complicated that it looks.

It reminds me of the awful idea Linus Tech Tips had. When his channel was based in a house he wanted all of the editors he stuck in one of the bedrooms with 5 high end PCs to be able to hook up to a room spanning copper line that would take the hot water from their CPU and GPU loops and send it to radiators mounted outside the window. He didn't use a larger automotive radiator or anything, he just strapped a bunch of computer radiators together because he's a clown.

Anyway, after doing apparently no research, they spent a lot of time putting it together; even getting one of the guy's dads to help because he was a plumber. Then they just filled it up with tap water and it stopped working pretty quickly because stuff grew in the loop since there was no prevention done. I remember following to see them double down later and add a filter and a UV aquarium filter inline, but eventually they scrapped it and just moved to a new office.

They basically had the critical thinking of "I know how to build a PC, so everything must work like that" except that they didn't even take what they should've known about water cooling PCs into account, nor the history of water cooling PCs that started with automotive heater cores when there were no computer specific water cooling parts.

It was one of several projects they clearly just did with no foresight or thought into how to actually make it work. It made me realize that the whole LTT channel is really more about teenager youtube clicks than useful information. I hesitate to link it because they don't deserve views, but he's got millions of views anyway so here's part 1 if anyone's morbidly curious.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mind you, they have sort of developed as a channel over the last 7 years - both Linus himself and the other staff seem more realistic about what can and can't be done with watercooling now than back then.

Though I conceptually love the idea of "just hook your PC into the cooling supply".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Though I conceptually love the idea of "just hook your PC into the cooling supply".

Yeah. "Here's your Ethernet and this is the cold and this is the hot return" is a cool idea.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of how old factories would, instead of electrical power, have rotating axles that spanned the length of the factory floor, and each tool would have a belt or whatever that connected it to that axle to get power.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me of how old factories would, instead of electrical power, have rotating axles that spanned the length of the factory floor, and each tool would have a belt or whatever that connected it to that axle to get power.

Lowell Mills was a pretty eye opening field trip as a kid.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

StormDrain posted:

LOL I didn't look that close the first time and it's like 20 feet of pipe? In the time he took to make it he could have installed 500' of pex in a nice long loop throughout the entire footprint of the house.

Or used a commercially available unit made to cool computers. It's a poorly executed flex. I don't know what the head is on his pump, but it's probably not a stock PC unit as even a short run of 1/2" copper would be too much for it. , If he's using an actual circulation pump then his run is hilariously short for heat dissipation. Nothing makes sense in that picture if he actually thought things through.

There's a reason why nearly every PC cooling system on the market uses grills getting as much air surface area as possible and not just a copper tube.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ironhead posted:

Lowell Mills was a pretty eye opening field trip as a kid.

I found Powhatan Mills to be even more eye-opening.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fralbjabar posted:

Some in-floor heat crappy construction:

I have in-floor heat in my house just NW of Boston MA, it owns in the winter and I love waking up to a warm bedroom floor in the mornings. My house is a ranch on slab built in 1959 by a well known mass builder for the area in that time period, and as with all large scale developers there's a fair number of corners cut or shortsighted decisions made in design. Take the floor heating, it's provided by loops of copper pipe embedded in the concrete of the slab. When new it works quite well, but uncoated copper pipe in contact with concrete corrodes over time as the concrete absorbs moisture from the atmosphere or the ground it's in contact with - leading to eventual and inevitable leaks in the piping and the failure of the entire heating system. At this point you have the choice to either a) jackhammer the entire goddamn slab to fix it or b) replace the heating system with something else, usually forced air in the attic. The systems generally have a 50 year expected life before the piping fails, I'm a weird outlier in my neighborhood and still have no leaks so I'm going to keep using my toasty warm floors until they stop working - but as of now I'm the only house on my street that still has functional floor heating so I figure it's only a matter of time. I use a flir camera to keep an eye on the system and check for leaks.

Related to this whenever it does finally fail and I replace the heating with a ducted heat pump I'll probably get a huge efficiency bump by no longer heating the ground. I got to take a look at my neighbor's slab a couple years ago when he jackhammered a trench in it to fix his sewer line and there's only about 2" of 'insulation' underneath the slab before the sand bed. I have to imagine a serious chunk of my heating bill is currently going straight into the ground under my home.

I'll say you'll still be heating the ground, your floor will just be colder.

I'd look into if it's possible to run a liner or something through your existing pipes. Or radiators over forced air. Heat pumps work with hydronic heating too, it's more common for them to work like that here than direct to air.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Contractor raised the tile floor of my restroom almost 3 inches - is this normal? (self.HomeImprovement)

quote:

We decided to renovate our restroom, and the contractor suggested putting a tile shower with the same tiles as the rest of the restroom.

After the demo, he contacted us telling us the floor will be slightly raised because he did not know the house was on slab, we thought he meant a slight increase of less than an inch. Today after the guy left I saw he raised it 3 inches.

I raised some concerns about people tripping, and he said he will put a slope. Is this normal?? This is going to look terrible as they have to cut the bottom of the door as well.

https://imgur.com/a/J0OwlVm

Edit: thank you for the replies, I'm going to speak to him about removing the whole thing.

:lmao:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It takes a special kind of stupid contractor to actually do more work for the pay.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

That's a LOT of concrete

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I've never done tile, but I've seen a few episodes of Holmes and This Old House.

Pretty sure if the floor is a slab you just throw some thin set down and place your tile...

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Did they raise the rest of the floor to give the impression of a sunken shower? For the females?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

By popular demand posted:

It takes a special kind of stupid contractor to actually do more work for the pay.

Anytime a contractor does this, it's a huge red flag to me. Because usually it means they are covering up a major fuckup. On some rare occasions it's a sub who does great work but has terrible business sense. But way more often than not, it's a problem.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PremiumSupport posted:

I've never done tile, but I've seen a few episodes of Holmes and This Old House.

Pretty sure if the floor is a slab you just throw some thin set down and place your tile...

Yeah, exactly this. You may need to do some leveling or crack repair but uh probably not 3 inches of concrete.

My guess is the guy screwed up the plumbing/toilet flange and his solution was to put another on top of it and raise the floor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, exactly this. You may need to do some leveling or crack repair but uh probably not 3 inches of concrete.

My guess is the guy screwed up the plumbing/toilet flange and his solution was to put another on top of it and raise the floor.

And what? Hope the homeowners don't notice that the floor is three inches higher?
I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you.

My first thought on seeing that was thinset, my guy, not thickset.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
some people really can't think that far ahead

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm think they were going for a curbless shower (if you open the op's imgur album there's a couple additional photos) but didn't want to have to break out the slab to install the drain????

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sirotan posted:

I'm think they were going for a curbless shower (if you open the op's imgur album there's a couple additional photos) but didn't want to have to break out the slab to install the drain????

That was gonna be my guess.

My shower tray ended up being on a riser to lift it despite (or possibly because) being low profile because it was the only way to get sufficient height to align the drain with the actual pipe which couldn't be changed without changing the height of the joint to the stack and why both with that when you can just lift the tray by 2 inches and wrap it in a bit of plastic trim?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Arrath posted:

Yeah. "Here's your Ethernet and this is the cold and this is the hot return" is a cool idea.

I mean I have actually seen that in a datacenter environment. Network, power, and cooling loop to the rack.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean I have actually seen that in a datacenter environment. Network, power, and cooling loop to the rack.

We have a water loop with cool in, hot out, and an additional extra hot in ie. +100 psi pure oxygen line.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/st...ingawful.com%2F

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's no way that the designer doesn't steal whole elements from construction sites and then incorporate them without considering the unified look.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I see that somebody hasn’t read The New York Times.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I'm the three solar panels on the roof

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those panels are crooked as gently caress. It's like someone just tossed them up there.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now that you mention it, you're right! That really stands out against the stark professionalism of the rest of the construction

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I would not be surprised if they were installed straight and the added weight caused the roof to sag.

EDIT: It's nearly impossible to predict exactly where the solar panels will line up once installed.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Is Grover building a new house?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm the :grovertoot: coming off of the next roof

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Dublin Airport, ladies and gentlemen.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I hate that I look at this and the thing that makes me most angry is that the columns aren’t centered.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Big "pickup/dropoff loop in front of the Marriott" energy here

e: loving the completely paved front yard as well

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

It’s so awful looking I am offended at its existence. And I normally don’t have standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The entire facade is just ridiculous and useless. I assume it's to ape some kind of swank covered parking/loading zone but nothing about that house justifies it. It's something you'd see at a golf club or an actual mansion but it's so high and narrow basically any rain would get past it.

I know that's obvious and the house would actually look somehow more dismal the way everything is set up but poo poo.

E: gently caress beaten