Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Senator Drinksalot posted:

People actually like 12's battle system? What battle system is even there to like? If you make your main a melee character enjoy slow rear end auto attacking for the entire 50 hours. At least you'll get a lot of naps in!

For me that kind of battle system worked in 11 because you were coordinating with other people and it gave you enough time and space to have social conversations while you were fighting

12's combat bored me to tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

People actually like 12's battle system? What battle system is even there to like? If you make your main a melee character enjoy slow rear end auto attacking for the entire 50 hours. At least you'll get a lot of naps in!

I find it pretty super boring, but I think generally what I've seen people like about it is the Gambit system

The gambit system was kind of cool, but everything was so insanely slow in the initial release and it was boring as sin as a result. Maybe that new release where you can make the game like 4x as fast makes it better though

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Non mage characters don't even get abilities to use to break up the tedium, it's an objectively bad system.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I find it pretty super boring, but I think generally what I've seen people like about it is the Gambit system

The gambit system was kind of cool, but everything was so insanely slow in the initial release and it was boring as sin as a result. Maybe that new release where you can make the game like 4x as fast makes it better though

4x speed does indeed make it better. It almost felt more natural running at the higher speed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not gonna lie, if they made a single player RPG with hotbar style combat like XIV, I'd be for it. Make it more mobile and fast like XV or the newer action RPGs. Give me lots of abilities without menus or mashing X over and over again.

Throw in something like XII's gambits for the AI party members too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Not gonna lie, if they made a single player RPG with hotbar style combat like XIV, I'd be for it. Make it more mobile and fast like XV or the newer action RPGs. Give me lots of abilities without menus or mashing X over and over again.

Throw in something like XII's gambits for the AI party members too.

Have you played the Xenoblade games?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Stranger of Paradise, I'm curious what people's favorite job setups are, since I haven't really been posting here about it at all.

Well yeah, he's had his memories and personality erased and replaced with a single-minded purpose for nefarious reasons, so of course he's like that.

I'm enjoying Tyrant/Breaker. No real synergy between the two, they're just individually fun.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heath posted:

Is this also a Chrono series thread because

SE really is run by some of the dumbest mother fuckers

Re: this

https://twitter.com/trinijpg/status/1509545203723653122?t=Wxv445jV1nI6I90Qm9-n_A&s=19

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the OST sucked all this time??????????

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gently caress music am I hearing then goddamn SE?? What music am I hearing????

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Eight-Six posted:

the OST sucked all this time??????????

It will probably be more on the quality level of the actual published OST CD set (which I highly recommend picking up) which is not compressed like the in-game one

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Stranger of Paradise, I'm curious what people's favorite job setups are, since I haven't really been posting here about it at all.

Cyclic Warrior with 400% Black Mage affinity and Lancet, then spamming 9999 damage earthquakes until everything melts

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FF9 was just slow rear end normal attacking for the entire 50 hours. FF7 and FF8 your main dude can solo most enemies throughout the game without much trouble and 8 basically disincentivizes you from using your spells or items for anything except junction fodder.

FF12 was, to me, the exact same - hold attack until once in a while you have to use a spell - but you just don't need to hold attack, and I can teach my healers to auto-cure poison if I'm in a poison zone or whatever. I don't think loading to a separate screen so I could select Attack, Attack, Attack for basch and whoever, then watching a victory dance, then going to a stats screen before resuming running would've dramatically improved anything. FFX turn scheduling was an improvement over ATB, but man I was tired of ATB.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

Well yeah, he's had his memories and personality erased and replaced with a single-minded purpose for nefarious reasons, so of course he's like that.

Right now I have a tyrant/red mage build. Tyrant is 400% tyrant, the level of duelist that gets the extra crit break damage to synergize with tyrant's affinity capstone trait, and I think some paladin for extra damage on full health? My red mage is purely geared out with red mage at 400% and some combination of sage and black mage. I put up an enspell, haste, lunatic, blood weapon, and lancet with knuckles on tyrant and do a fist of the north star impression, then when I'm done clobbering the target I switch to red mage and chain nuke the next enemy, switch back to tyrant and repeat. It's a fun build for wiping out trash, you quickly build back mp and as long as you don't let something reach your flank most mobs can't even fight back since they get repeatedly staggered

I'm thinking of replacing either blood weapon or lancet with invisible so I can speedbag more inconspicuously and not have to think about defense at all

When I get off work I'll record some footage of this because it's really funny

Edit: come to think of it it builds back mp and mp limit so quickly that I could probably afford to be popping lightbringer pretty much every fight too, I should try that

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 31, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
FF combat was never really amazing to me, it just served its purpose for the game and that was it. Until FFX. Turns happened super fast and I enjoyed the strategy of delays and hasting to try and cram as many turns in as possible. Like, I love IX but the combat is so loving slow in that game. Sure there was strategy involved in the previous games, but I think FFX took everything good about the previous systems and streamlined them perfectly. I thought XII felt weird and MMO-like in a bad way. I thought XIII felt like I was just switching to different modes then hitting one button and that it played for you, but I didn't stick with XIII long so I probably just didn't understand the combat system. XV was okay but felt like a forgettable action game, and also the magic system sucked. 7R was good.

I would be hyped to see a turn based system come back but I really don't think it's in the cards.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
5, the 13 series and 14 are basically the only mainline ff games with combat that's genuinely great instead of okay to extremely mid.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

13's combat really shines at the end when you have to really strategize your paradigm builds and time your switches correctly while throwing out the occasional ability that doesn't queue in auto

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
5's combat is the same stuff that all the early ones had. It's the stuff you can configure outside of combat that makes it different.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

5's combat is the same stuff that all the early ones had. It's the stuff you can configure outside of combat that makes it different.

Yes the combat builds and option are part of the overall combat design.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK so it sounds like it's just miscommunication. The "refined" tracks are just the same arrangement as the originals, but with modern digital instrumentation and editing. The tracks from this:

are just on a vinyl being released alongside the game, but are not part of the game itself. Does that sound right?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

13s linearity actually helped the battle system because the devs pretty much knew exactly what you would be able to do at any given point of the game. It probably has the most balanced, fun fights in the series.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All the good SNES and PS ATB games are good in spite of something awful to do with ATB. 5 always comes with some qualifiers and by the time we're allowed qualified good I'd almost want to include 8 cause there's something half interesting about the different ways to collect magic and make a limit spamming beast.

10, 13, Lightning Returns, 14, and 7R all have just plain good combat with no qualifications needed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also I guess I volunteered to make a Chrono Cross thread a while back but I never got around to it, and I just don't have the time or effort to make a decent OP. Sorry about that. If anyone feels like doing it, go right ahead.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

7's combat kicks rear end because it has the coolest bestiary of weird freaks in a videogame, complete with a bunch of strange attack animations. Needs mods to make it tactically interesting but oh well.

Classic FF monster design was utterly fantastic and the grimier/more detailed stuff from 12 onwards has been bland by comparison

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I find 14's combat to be incredibly mind numbing and that's coming from someone who fought a variety of identical looking crabs for 600 days of his life

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

there's nothing quite like pulling off a skillchain into magic burst, no matter the stakes

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

I find 14's combat to be incredibly mind numbing and that's coming from someone who fought a variety of identical looking crabs for 600 days of his life

Were you playing White Mage? Cause yeah that job is boring as hell

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I couldn't stand the combat in ff7r past the demo? And I just wrote it off and played ff7 instead, or, at least the overall progress the original covers which is only 8 hours of content somehow increased to 40+

I should get caught up on 14 because red mage owned, and I was halfway through stormblood

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ff14's combat is good, especially at endgame/raid level, but the unfortunate reality is that it takes a long long time to ramp up if you're playing it from the beginning. especially as time as gone on, the game's shifted from "jobs get most of their core abilities at level 30 or so" to "don't expect your job to be feature complete until 60+"

definitely don't blame anyone for falling off

didn't have any sort of negative reaction to the vinyl snippets that were posted, but this is still good. love this game babey!!!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Were you playing White Mage? Cause yeah that job is boring as hell

I played ninja a couple years back when it was newish (which was kind of fun once it got going) and red mage more recently up till the beginning of shadowbringers

Maybe the combat gets more interesting once you're in the current expansion but man there's just too many hours of stuff to grind through to get to that point, especially since they definitely pulled out a lot of complexity in the mid-levels with each expansion release. When I logged in for the first time half of my action bar on ninja was grayed out and I was pretty bummed that a lot of the positional advantage stuff was removed too

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah most jobs don't get interesting until about 66-68, they took positionals out mostly because bosses throw out way more attacks with even less reaction time now.

Edit: Ninja is still a lot of fun now though, it has this free form mudra system that you pick and choose different combinations of to get different buffs or nuke attacks out of.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 31, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I always love these hot takes, because they show that the people never did any challenging hunts, espers, bosses, or optional areas without WILDLY overleveling. You can basically only mind-off autopilot through easier trash mobs, which you can do in every single FF anyways, except those require you to press a lot of buttons to autopilot through them.

XII is a game that gives you a big world full of optional areas to explore and packed with challenging hunt marks and optional bosses everywhere that will kick your rear end if you go in when they become available, and apparently people just refused to engage with any of that.

Edit: in the original, anyway. I don't know if the Zodiac edition totally breaks the difficulty curve.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I did all the hunts and optional bosses, other than swapping around some gambits I didn't find anything particularly engaging. The job system is pointless too because all non magic characters get no abilities to use, it's just varying degrees of random combos triggering when you cast haste on them. Like really what's the difference between shikari, bushi, uhlan and knight beyond arbitrary %'s? The battle system stinks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
People keep telling me XII plays itself, so I put the controller down and nothing is happening. Game sucks 1/5.

The job system is pointless too because all non magic characters get no abilities to use

This is literally, objectively untrue. What do you think technicks are? :psyduck:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Oh those things that can only be used in super specific instances? Yeah they are worthless. Plus they are missable because you have to find the hidden item associated with them first. The useful Break abilities you can't even get until near the end of the game

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Ah yes, the super specific instance of "whenever you want." Very niche that. Never comes up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how to beat tiamat

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat tiamat

punch her really hard...together

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat tiamat

Cast Ultima twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

Ah yes, the super specific instance of "whenever you want." Very niche that. Never comes up.

When are any of them more useful than just hasting and hoping for a 12 combo?