Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont have that i have sword and shield guy, and big sword guy, and knight, and red mage and regular mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem with FFXII combat is that it has the worst superboss in the series.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Attack while the tri disaster is charging.

It's gonna kill you while you're stuck in animation lock.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Non mage characters don't even get abilities to use to break up the tedium, it's an objectively bad system.

The word you're looking for is subjectively, because you are stating your opinion about FFXII, a game that owned. I did all the hardest poo poo and was damned thankful that gambits were there to automate the normal FF tedium away.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lotus Aura posted:

This is literally, objectively untrue. What do you think technicks are? :psyduck:

To be fair, most technicks are worthless.

But much like in XIII, the idea is not to perform sweet-rear end super moves every turn, it's to watch and react to the overall flow of battle. Like, whether your guys are hitting something with a sword or spell isn't relevant most of the time. What is relevant is dealing with adds and targeting, different vulnerabilities (both status and elemental), range considerations, changing field effects, avoiding or mitigating attacks, etc.

Most of the challenging fights in the game are designed around disrupting easy gambit setups. I challenge you to show me a video of the Cluckatrice hunt done when it becomes first available, at a normal level, on full auto. That fight's about having to target specific adds with specific spells for immobilization to separate opponents and whittle down numbers, while dealing with statuses like petrification and poo poo that might suddenly take out character(s) you have on healing duty, when you still have limited resources for curing statuses and small MP pools. Esper bosses might have field effects that totally change the way the fight goes. Lots of them require strategic balancing between buffing, healing, reviving, and attacking specific targets that change throughout the battle and can't just be easily automated. Even some of the random rare monsters like Disma will show up unexpectedly while exploring and kick your face in while you desperately run for a zone boundary.

In the vanilla version, I had more edge-of-my-seat close-rear end wins in FFXII than any other FF game I've played, where by the end I was having to micromanage half the actions my whole party took. It was great, and it was not auto-able.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat tiamat

Void Knight's Runic can suck up her Tridisaster and use it to give yourself unlimited mana or throw a big sword beam at her, it rules.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat tiamat

Blizzaga repeatedly if you don't have Ultima. Otherwise, Blizzaga and Ultima.

If you don't even have Blizzaga then :shrug: maybe try blood weapon and a big axe or dragoon jumps. The second phase is honestly just tedious for 99% of setups.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Schwartzcough posted:

In the vanilla version, I had more edge-of-my-seat close-rear end wins in FFXII than any other FF game I've played, where by the end I was having to micromanage half the actions my whole party took. It was great, and it was not auto-able.

I still remember accidentally stumbling into Adrammelech and eking out a win! :allears:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I've only played the remaster, perhaps they took all the nuance out of the game in that

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Void Knight's Runic can suck up her Tridisaster and use it to give yourself unlimited mana or throw a big sword beam at her, it rules.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Blizzaga repeatedly if you don't have Ultima. Otherwise, Blizzaga and Ultima.

If you don't even have Blizzaga then :shrug: maybe try blood weapon and a big axe or dragoon jumps. The second phase is honestly just tedious for 99% of setups.

i dont have any of these yet!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Mage can cast Blizzaga, can't it? Mage is a starting job.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat tiamat

Soul Shield her stomps (but watch out for her headbutt combo afterwards - it can be dodged or shielded) and her forward sweeping beam attack. Get inside her circular breath attack for a nice big damage opening. In her second phase, see if you can dodge around Wind Blast and Tri-Disaster to attack her necks, ideally with slashing damage. Purple beam attacks inflict poison, so make absolutely sure you avoid or shield those. Back off whenever she uses Whirlwind or her counter move - it's boring and it'll slow down the fight, but it's just not worth the risk. Remember to use Resonance whenever possible to boost your teammates' damage and aggro gain. In general, slashing and ice damage are your friends, so pick a job that has access to one or both of those. Knight or Red Mage are probably your best bets of the jobs you've got.

Apart from anything else, be aggressive - your basic R1 attacks are fast, safe, and cost you nothing. Unless you know there's a risk of your opponent using a fast attack to catch you out, follow up every soul shield by mashing R1 (with the odd R2 during big openings) until you see the next telegraph for an attack, and only back off to catch a breath when your break gauge is getting low enough to make blocking and shielding too risky.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 31, 2022

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

When are any of them more useful than just hasting and hoping for a 12 combo?

Well, Haste doesn't affect combo rate for one thing and you can only get a 12-hit combo when you have less than 6% HP left so even without specifics like Souleater straight up outdamaging average output at high HP and also helping set that up for the few that have a high combo-rate, it'd be quite often by default.

But of course if all you want is Big Damage Number, then this is all irrelevant and the real thing you do is summon Zeromus, cast Bubble on him and then use a Niho'd Elixir. Big Bang is the most powerful attack in the game and it's not even close.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 31, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Soul Shield her stomps (but watch out for her headbutt combo afterwards - it can be dodged or shielded) and her forward sweeping beam attack. Get inside her circular breath attack for a nice big damage opening. In her second phase, see if you can dodge around Wind Blast and Tri-Disaster to attack her necks, ideally with slashing damage. Back off whenever she uses Whirlwind or her counter move - it's boring and it'll slow down the fight, but it's just not worth the risk. Remember to use Resonance whenever possible to boost your teammates' damage and aggro gain. In general, slashing and ice damage are your friends, so pick a job that has access to one or both of those. Knight or Red Mage are probably your best bets of the jobs you've got.

Apart from anything else, be aggressive - your basic R1 attacks are fast, safe, and cost you nothing. Unless you know there's a risk of your opponent using a fast attack to catch you out, follow up every soul shield by mashing R1 (with the odd R2 during big openings) until you see the next telegraph for an attack, and only back off to catch a breath when your break gauge is getting low enough to make blocking and shielding too risky.

ok thanks

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

I've only played the remaster, perhaps they took all the nuance out of the game in that

This seems to be a consistent thing with FF remasters so it wouldn't surprise me

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

They actually added in more in the remaster. It's bad.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
People are free to dislike 12's system but personally found it really relaxing to set up gambits beforehand and watch as they flowed nicely, then taking control directly for the harder fights. Plus none of the other FF games really hit that level of exploration for me where you can be like, 10 levels deep into an optional dungeon you found, with dwindling resources and taking on stuff way stronger than you should be fighting right now with a cool optional boss at the end.

If the story hadn't suffered as a result of Matsuno leaving the project it could easily have been my favorite FF game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like XII's combat but it mostly shines when you're punching above your weight. By default it's definitely more about planning than execution which I understand some people aren't going to like. And also by default a lot of the game is pretty easy so you rarely need to change your game plan or improvise that much, which is a shame because there are so many fun ways to do that.

Without mods, if you want to have more fun with combat, try taking on hunts and optional espers as soon as they're available. It's almost always possible but it'll take some actual planning, thinking about your gear, and improvising when things always change up mid-fight. If you're on PC, try the Struggle For Freedom mod instead, which both makes the game harder and also rebalances jobs, spells, and weapon types so more things are actually useful and viable.

That said if you don't like the idea of a combat system that's more about planning and setup than what you do during the fight no amount of mods will magically make it click for you. (To be fair SFF does tend to lead to being in a "scramble and improvise" situation a lot more than you end up in the base game, but it's still largely about your gambit, job, and gear setups.)

Though really the reason I like FFXII is the setting, cast, and (most of) the story, which again I think a lot of people will vehemently insist are bad but eh, I think they're good :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FF12 is basically if you took a RtwP CRPG and removed basically every fun ability they usually steal from DnD so instead of setting up stuff for a bunch of poo poo you're mostly.just going "Use element enemy is vulnerable to otherwise Attack". It just didn't have the depth to really justify the gambit so instead you get a fairly boring version of classic FF with one of the worst menus possible Or another submenu you spend 15 mins in every 3 hours to minimize touching the bad menu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Its magic and skill menus are pretty bad lol

Really don't know why they keep spell categories a character doesn't even have licenses for in the list. Just clutter at that point

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Soul shield tri-disaster and evade roll out of it for no damage and some mp gain.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Its magic and skill menus are pretty bad lol

Really don't know why they keep spell categories a character doesn't even have licenses for in the list. Just clutter at that point

It's got so much in common with the ff11 menu but it's so much more annoying to use in such interesting ways

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont have any of these yet!

Take 5 minutes to level mage enough to unlock Black Mage. Or take 5 seconds if you have enough shards to exchange for XP on Mage.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

XII compensated for the automation by tripling the amount of rounds each combat takes, with most of the problems that that entails. They do go by faster than normal combat rounds but absolutely gently caress all happens in most of them.

Also why "use more manual abilities" falls apart, the combats are so long if you do that you're really not supposed to

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mage can cast Blizzaga, can't it? Mage is a starting job.

Mage just gets the crystal elements I think, fire/water/wind/earth. Black mage (and maybe red?) is the one that gets blizzard.

Ibblebibble posted:

Void Knight's Runic ability whips rear end, it's real satisfying when you find the right time to use it for big damage.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

I find 14's combat to be incredibly mind numbing and that's coming from someone who fought a variety of identical looking crabs for 600 days of his life

The best thing about this is that the 14 crab minion description directly references this

It's something along the lines of "this cute little guy is sure to induce traumatic flashbacks from those who spent months culling its relatives on distant shores" lol

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Use those crystals to get to sage and treat yourself to Ultima asap.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I don't think this has ever been brought up, but is our good buddy Warmech back in Stranger of Paradise?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fister Roboto posted:

OK so it sounds like it's just miscommunication. The "refined" tracks are just the same arrangement as the originals, but with modern digital instrumentation and editing. The tracks from this:

are just on a vinyl being released alongside the game, but are not part of the game itself. Does that sound right?

Really I guess it's our fault for seeing a video titled "CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION Music Tracks Trailer" and reading the text in the video saying "Introducing New and Arranged Songs" and foolishly assuming that it was a preview of the music in Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition. Can't imagine why anyone was confused!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

how to beat tiamat

Parry tridisaster then dodge (only a single button press, the two button press does not have invincibility!!), judicious use of ultima as well

You can actually chain parry tri disaster and get a whole bunch of MP off it for free as well

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Really I guess it's our fault for seeing a video titled "CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION Music Tracks Trailer" and reading the text in the video saying "Introducing New and Arranged Songs" and foolishly assuming that it was a preview of the music in Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition. Can't imagine why anyone was confused!

it was dumb but thankfully we get the best of both worlds in the end

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So after beating SoP, I’m not sure where to go from here… I see one new side quest is open, but it’s item level is a bit higher than my own. But I’m not sure how to increase my item level since every other sidequest is now below me? And Chaos mode is ever higher, so I’m not supposed to do that yet either

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The best thing about this is that the 14 crab minion description directly references this

It's something along the lines of "this cute little guy is sure to induce traumatic flashbacks from those who spent months culling its relatives on distant shores" lol
I have had multiple people run by me in town, stop dead, and /no or /slap my poor Conditional Virtue (lil' tiny Absolute Virtue minion)

it is never not funny

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So after beating SoP, I’m not sure where to go from here… I see one new side quest is open, but it’s item level is a bit higher than my own. But I’m not sure how to increase my item level since every other sidequest is now below me? And Chaos mode is ever higher, so I’m not supposed to do that yet either

You can run missions that are a higher item level, they'll just hurt a bit more when you take a hit, until you've picked up some higher level gear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Starting on the first mission on chaos mode is what I did. You are gonna get staggered easily and often because of the ilevel gap.

Or hop into a level 300 mission online and let someone carry you for a bit so you can get some easy loot :v: There are some missions that people are always farming where you can just tag along.

Lotus Aura posted:

This is literally, objectively untrue. What do you think technicks are? :psyduck:

Mostly garbage that isn't worth using.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

Almost all entirely dogshit and way too few of them so it takes forever to get anything let alone get anything worth actually using.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A little absurd FF12 didn’t have any sword saint esque abilities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of FF12s problems can be traced to the OG license board which was just a total fuckin' mess. Everything since then has been trying to reshuffle that mess into something appealing without doing a full system level remake.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I don't really know if "you're supposed to let the game run on auto but have to constantly monitor it anyway to react to anything actually dangerous" is a salvageable premise to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tonfa posted:

I don't really know if "you're supposed to let the game run on auto but have to constantly monitor it anyway to react to anything actually dangerous" is a salvageable premise to begin with

Creating a combat flow and adjusting it as needed can work as gameplay. 13 basically just had you shifting as needed though it automated everything. Give 12 a more involved combat system and you can do a lot.