Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Creating a combat flow and adjusting it as needed can work as gameplay. 13 basically just had you shifting as needed though it automated everything. Give 12 a more involved combat system and you can do a lot.

I was going to say, FF13's paradigm system is essentially streamlining a lot of the gambit poo poo so you have less time loving with each individual If/Then command and also gave all the possible things you could do poo poo that's useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

13 works fine enough once you grok the (either unstated, or terribly stated) point that you get a free atb refill by switching every so often so you're supposed to be constantly actively switching paradigms. At that point it's a normal atb game where you have to keep mental count of when your turn comes yourself.

That said, huge lol to the scenario design that does insane poo poo like make you use 2 person teams for half the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endgame combat in FF13 is an absolute blast

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm up to the Flying Fortress. . . looks like the Big T is in my future, huh? I'll probably level up some of my other, lesser used jobs in a side mission or two in prep.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's kinda cheating if you widen his forehead

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Void Knight/Sage is an unstoppable combo holy poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How does Runic work exactly? I haven't gotten it to go off at all.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Heath posted:

You use it right before you get hit by a magic attack and either release R2 to get a bunch of magic or hit R1 to send it back as a sword beam. Staying in Runic drains your mp so you do have to be kind of careful when you use it at one or two bars

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i use runic for the tutorial boss and then never again

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

now show me tidus without a tan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jokes posted:

now show me tidus without a tan

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm a fan of breaker/sage. I prefer the slower, harder-hitting weapons over the quicker ones. Breaker brings variety of weapons I like with nice combo boosters. Then the satisfaction of a well-timed zantetsuken is pretty neat. Slicing down ogres as they charge, for instance, does indeed make you feel like Odin.

Sage is sage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like using Breaker with anything other than a katana just doesn't feel quite right. Kind of like playing a Dragoon with a greatsword, or a Monk with a spear.

Speaking of, the SOP version of Jump is wonderful. So powerful, so reliable, so easy to use, and so cheap. You really do feel like a human ballistic missile.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 1, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I was running Breaker for the entire last quarter of the game and it's funny as hell just deciding that you don't feel like fighting a particular mob then Zantetsuing them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like using Breaker with anything other than a katana just doesn't feel quite right. Kind of like playing a Dragoon with a greatsword, or a Monk with a spear.

Speaking of, the SOP version of Jump is wonderful. So powerful, so reliable, so easy to use, and so cheap. You really do feel like a human ballistic missile.

Breaker's basically Odin so it's fair to use at least spears but any weapons cool imo.

Monks use staves which we don't get but we get spears so close enough.

Dragoon, however, should use a spear. No swords allowed!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I was running Breaker for the entire last quarter of the game and it's funny as hell just deciding that you don't feel like fighting a particular mob then Zantetsuing them.

The best is when you catch like 5 or 6 mobs in one and the screen fills with red crystals

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Heath posted:

Absorbs magic attacks, you can use it to charge MP for Ultima. Since bosses use magic constantly you can constantly spam Ultima

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You’ve got whale

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jokes posted:

You’ve got whale

lol

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mustached Demon posted:

Dragoon, however, should use a spear. No swords allowed!

Not a fan of Kain, huh?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

He's still much better with spears

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not a fan of Kain, huh?

Just because he can hold a sword doesn't mean he should.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Senator Drinksalot posted:

He's still much better with spears

Defense sword and avenger swords are more consistent damage for him up until unrealistically high levels because of low accuracy on spears, so Kain’s late game is best with swords, from what I understand.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mustached Demon posted:

Just because he can hold a sword doesn't mean he should.

He should in the DS version because the Onion Sword is more powerful than any of his spears.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Defense sword and avenger swords are more consistent damage for him up until unrealistically high levels because of low accuracy on spears, so Kain’s late game is best with swords, from what I understand.

Jump gets bonus damage if you have a spear equipped though, does it not?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jump gets bonus damage if you have a spear equipped though, does it not?

It does!

Jump is also kinda really bad in FF4! Especially once you get access to Berserk and Slow.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

If there's a dragoon in the party they will be constantly using jump, optimal or not. That's just the way she goes.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

If there's a dragoon in the party they will be constantly using jump, optimal or not. That's just the way she goes.

The first time I beat FFIV I was underlevelled and didn’t really understand how to play optimally, so I won with everyone but Kain dead. Kain managed to avoid ~20 attacks while being the only one alive because he was just always in the air. Eventually Zeromus gave in to Jump Around by House of Kain.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

pretty soft girl posted:

Right now I have a tyrant/red mage build. Tyrant is 400% tyrant, the level of duelist that gets the extra crit break damage to synergize with tyrant's affinity capstone trait, and I think some paladin for extra damage on full health? My red mage is purely geared out with red mage at 400% and some combination of sage and black mage. I put up an enspell, haste, lunatic, blood weapon, and lancet with knuckles on tyrant and do a fist of the north star impression, then when I'm done clobbering the target I switch to red mage and chain nuke the next enemy, switch back to tyrant and repeat. It's a fun build for wiping out trash, you quickly build back mp and as long as you don't let something reach your flank most mobs can't even fight back since they get repeatedly staggered

I'm thinking of replacing either blood weapon or lancet with invisible so I can speedbag more inconspicuously and not have to think about defense at all

When I get off work I'll record some footage of this because it's really funny

Edit: come to think of it it builds back mp and mp limit so quickly that I could probably afford to be popping lightbringer pretty much every fight too, I should try that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bExWyAOyWak

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I haven't done any post game minmaxing but I think the most hilarious thing I've done was use dragoon with sage's teleport during that end fight with chaos where you have infinite mp again on the second phase to become completely untouchable for the entire duration of the fight. But I imagine a lot of stuff is very broken in your favor during that section.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
But yeah, as a SOP dragoon, Jack is actively encouraged to treat his spear like a particularly sharp pogo stick, and it owns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jump is very good in SOP possibly my favorite implementation of Jump

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy6pixelremaster/mods/34
Tsushiy and Tomato got T-Edition ported to the Pixel Remaster.
Edit: it's been long enough, obviously this was a dumb April Fools. But remember the actual T-Edition romhack is still out there.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 1, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jokes posted:

Jump is very good in SOP possibly my favorite implementation of Jump

I think it's the laser-precise tracking that really helps it. Whenever you go up, you know that you're going to ruin someone's day when you come down. You can even switch targets in midair!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if it's optimal or not, but I do enjoy playing dragoon with a greatsword and just leaping into the fray and then wrecking everyone in a guts-like manner. It's a gap closer that's also a pretty OP attack that also feels and looks amazing, what's not to love

I'm glad they let you do it, because I love jump but I don't really love spears in this game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's the laser-precise tracking that really helps it. Whenever you go up, you know that you're going to ruin someone's day when you come down. You can even switch targets in midair!

This was funny during a certain teleporting boss fight when I ended up suspended in the air and moving in rapidly opposite directions for several seconds before coming down

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darth Walrus posted:

But yeah, as a SOP dragoon, Jack is actively encouraged to treat his spear like a particularly sharp pogo stick, and it owns.
What you're telling me is that SOP can effectively be played as a 3D Ducktales.

My favorite experience with a spear was in FFXV, at the bottom of Costlemark Tower, with Noctis equipped with a spear, when suddenly Noctis froze in the middle of a dive. The rest of the game kept going, but Noctis simply would not move. The hilarious part was that this made him invincible--monsters couldn't hurt him, but he could still hurt the monsters. So monsters just kept running into him and dying until he single-handedly cleared the room without doing a thing. I still had to reset the game, but man, that was an experience.

*EDIT* They may have just patched this, but there's a glitch in FF6PR where if a character has Dragoon Boots and gets confused, they'll try to use Jump against themselves. I saw a streamer on YT run into this a few times while soloing Edgar, Celes, and Setzer through Kefka's Tower. Basically, the confused character jumps, and they get stuck offscreen, and occasionally still take damage from monsters, but when their turn comes up, they Jump again and stay offscreen. The latest patch notes say they fixed a bug where this happens when using Quetzalli, but I don't know if they fixed the version I saw.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I recently bought Ff8 and 9 for my Switch after having not played them (never beat ‘em) since I was 7th and 8th grade, respectfully, when they were brand new games.

I started with FF9 and I’m having a BLAST! These games are perfect for where I’m at in life currently. I don’t have much brain power for thinking about stats and builds, so FF9 is perfect.

I’m up to the Mountain Path and now Zidaine is dragging three mages through all the battles and I’m left wondering when will everyone finally be together so that I can pick the party I want?