Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The technic batmobile was my first technic build ever and I loved it, but obviously can’t compare. It should be on sale sometimes for around €70 so maybe that’s worth a try.

I liked the big tumbler but it was kind of annoying how brittle the outside feels, but that’s probably just what you get coming from the solid as a brick 1989 batmobile. The minifig scale one feels extremely similar and if I could pick again I probably would not get the big tumbler. But as far as big, available batmobiles go, it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The McLaren Senna has a really cool visible V8, check the video clip
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/mclaren-senna-gtr-42123

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I did the Senna as my first kit back into this since I was a kid and am working on the Tumbler now. I think the Senna is a fantastic experience. After day one my wife got home and asked what was wrong. I told her that only 6 of the cylinders were firing and she was astonished to see that yeah, you can see the pistons moving.

The Tumbler is great (not 100% done yet) but to me it isn't as much "fun" as the Technics that I've done. I was excited that there were very few stickers to attach, as my hands shake terribly. But then I was disappointed that all of the stickers are inside the car and you can't see them anyway.

I enjoyed the Ferrari 488 as well. For $50 (or $40 on Amazon if you can find it) the Senna is definitely a great choice.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Also if you want to "look for a sale / try to snipe on eBay" the Ducati Panigale is just above your requested price range but it has two gears plus neutral and a working chain. Similar to the big expensive BMW, the engine build is so cool that you end up stopping on that step and playing with the engine for a week while it's on your desk before you go on and finish putting the bike parts around it
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ducati-panigale-v4-r-42107

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Veotax posted:

It's really easy too, making replacement part orders is like a significant portion of my job.

Hell, there's an easy way to do it without even talking to customer service. Go to LEGO.com, click on help and then replacement parts. The system can automatically cancel orders if they're too big or have high-demand parts, basically trying to stop fake orders of people trying to get parts that aren't actually missing, but if that happens you can just use live chat to talk to CS and we'll probably approve the order if it's not suspicious.

Replacement parts come from the Bricks & Pieces warehouse in Denmark, but they skip the queue that paid parts are in so they usually ship the next business day.

Thanks! Just used this to order some replacement reddish-brown plates. I'd been afraid to Bricklink them since I didn't want to get similarly aged ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lord Hydronium posted:

I haven't built a true Technic model in decades. Any particular sets out now that people would recommend? I'd be mostly interested in anything that's around $60 or below rather than one of the enormous multi hundred dollar ones, and preferably something with some fun Technic features that you don't see in the Creator cars. I know at that price point it won't be the kind of model with full working transmissions and so forth, but wondering if there's any particularly neat sets at the lower end there.

42128 (Heavy Duty Tow Truck) is one worth keeping an eye on. It's higher than the price range but is much less than the big supercars and (at least here) frequently goes on a big discount. Absolutely packed with functions, including pneumatics.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This fellow built HMS Diana, a fifth rate frigate constructed in the late 18th century, using all Lego parts including thread for the rigging

https://imgur.com/gallery/fto2NUQ

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Phy posted:

This fellow built HMS Diana, a fifth rate frigate constructed in the late 18th century, using all Lego parts including thread for the rigging

I dunno, looks first-rate to me! :dadjoke:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Daaaaaaaaang.

That's not just next level. That's next level to the next level.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lord Hydronium posted:

I haven't built a true Technic model in decades. Any particular sets out now that people would recommend? I'd be mostly interested in anything that's around $60 or below rather than one of the enormous multi hundred dollar ones, and preferably something with some fun Technic features that you don't see in the Creator cars. I know at that price point it won't be the kind of model with full working transmissions and so forth, but wondering if there's any particularly neat sets at the lower end there.

Also unrelated, any opinions on the big Tumbler? I generally prefer the minifig scale Batmobiles over the big ones for cost reasons, but I do like the look of that one.

42139 With a discount might fit the bill. It looks pretty wild on pictures, but is an actually cool build with typical technic features. Differential on two axis, swing axle suspension, steering, chainsaw.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There were two $50 cars this year, but those have pullback motors as their major Technic features, and nothing else. Last year's McLaren Senna GTR has an engine and steering (via the roof). There's also the Heavy Duty Excavator, which appears to have a bit more functionality.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Grab one of these, too. It's 13 bucks and a ton of fun, with steering and a chain-driven 3 cylinder engine. The stickers are superfluous and optional. Fun desktop toy once it's completed. Highly recommend.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The multi-speed transmissions on the big Technic cars are amazing while you’re building them but once the build is done they don’t really do anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone should buy a couple of the smaller unbranded sets every year. It reminds you that this is a toy to be played with, disassembled, and integrated into other builds. Keeps you from displaying it on a shelf forever.

I usually get ones that have parts/colors I'm interested in getting more inventory for, but it's not a firm rule.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They make the engine spin faster when you vroom it around.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for all the suggestions! The Ducati sounds like the right balance between price and features that I was looking for, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere right now. ATV and Senna look neat too, might take a look at those. Also good to know about those little sets like that Chopper, I wouldn't have looked at the very low end.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's time. This thing hasn't been reassembled since two moves ago, nearly 10 years.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The multi-speed transmissions on the big Technic cars are amazing while you’re building them but once the build is done they don’t really do anything.

They do...it's just not especially evident if you don't have the hood up

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

It's time. This thing hasn't been reassembled since two moves ago, nearly 10 years.

What's your strategy going to be? leave the intact assemblies in place or take everything apart and start from scratch?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Already pining for a BTTF lighting kit.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
The flux capacitor lights up so we've got that going for us.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deoju posted:

What's your strategy going to be? leave the intact assemblies in place or take everything apart and start from scratch?

I was going to leave it as intact as possible but pretty rapidly realized that getting the internal skeleton (which was in like 6 or 8 big chunks) back together was both kind of a pain and if I screwed something up and didn't realize it would be a huge pain down the road so I did that brick by brick but now am adding a lot of the external stuff that's largely intact. There's still a lot of loose pieces and I'm sure at the end I'll have a pile of stuff that I missed that I'll have to figure out where it goes, but it's actually going quicker than I expected.

Even relatively little stuff like all the landing gear being 100% intact is saving huge time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phy posted:

When I see something nuts made out of Lego, I think "wow, I could never have figured out how to piece that together."

When I see a fully rigged model ship, I think "wow, I could never have figured out how to rig that."

And then this guy just goes and mashes the two together.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Anyone grabbing the BTTF Delorean tomorrow (today)? I'm thinking about driving to the Lego store about 25 minutes away from me and grabbing one if I can snag an early lunch. Feenix bringing up potential third party lighting kits has made me even more sold on the set.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BaconCopter posted:

Anyone grabbing the BTTF Delorean tomorrow (today)? I'm thinking about driving to the Lego store about 25 minutes away from me and grabbing one if I can snag an early lunch. Feenix bringing up potential third party lighting kits has made me even more sold on the set.

I ordered one about 2 hours ago. I hadn’t bought any lego sets in awhile, and that one really caught my eye. Probably just hand off the Easter Chicks GWP to my kid to build and promptly destroy.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Phy posted:

Seeing this reminds me of how I felt seeing the Black Seas Barracuda at age 3- this thing is huge, detailed, and just begging to be played with

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Lego Delorean is a first for me in terms of staying up until almost midnight eastern and slapping that button as soon as it showed as available. I do not buy a lot of Lego sets for myself, I watch the community and keep an eye on things but I normally am just getting age appropriate sets for the kids.

No regrets, it's "temporarily out of stock" now.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

YanniRotten posted:

Lego Delorean is a first for me in terms of staying up until almost midnight eastern and slapping that button as soon as it showed as available. I do not buy a lot of Lego sets for myself, I watch the community and keep an eye on things but I normally am just getting age appropriate sets for the kids.

No regrets, it's "temporarily out of stock" now.

I completely forgot that I had a meeting right at the retail store opening time today, but it was still in stock online at 7:30 this morning, so yay!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m on vacation and didn’t want to depend on it still being in stock on Sunday at my local store so I ordered it last night

Pretty excited about it I think creator expert cars are my favorite thing these days

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hot drat, the Lego store that I went to was already getting fairly close to selling out of DeLoreans and I got there less than 20 minutes after they opened.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was going to cave and order a Delorean so I guess I should be thankful that they’re sold out online already

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BaconCopter posted:

Hot drat, the Lego store that I went to was already getting fairly close to selling out of DeLoreans and I got there less than 20 minutes after they opened.

This is pretty common for popular sets these days

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dogen posted:

This is pretty common for popular sets these days

I am in impatient dude so ordering online vs buying in store... I'd prefer the store. But these popular "adult" sets... my capacity to stand around outside a lego store for 20-50 minutes with other nerds is really diminished in my older age.

[edit] DOn't get me wrong, I am not a self-hating nerd nor do I hate my brethren. It's just... the idle small talk always ends up so awkward. First its like,
"this set looks so rad"
then its like " Yeah, I just got done building the Titanic"
to which I would say "yeah I have young kids and no room so that one was a no"
to which they reply "Oh I have a whole room for Lego"
and I nod and go "that's awesome"
and then they go "I also have a room with nothing but Naruto Laserdiscs and have you ever seen what an entire room floor looks like covered in Anime Body Pillows?"
and I'm just like "I like lego..."

[edit2] To each their own. No Judgies. I just don't wanna loving chat with you about it. :p

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 1, 2022

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't want to chat with anyone about their anime body pillows AND I'm judging.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I was going to buy it on my lunch break but couldn't remember my password to lego.com :(

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

davebo posted:

I don't want to chat with anyone about their anime body pillows AND I'm judging.

What about Lego pillows?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat that BTTF set must be selling well. I almost missed it at my local store and they always have plenty of every set. Luckily they let me buy the last one over the phone so I can pick it up later.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jusupov posted:

I was going to buy it on my lunch break but couldn't remember my password to lego.com :(

I was sitting in my hot tub drinking coffee and doing the wordle, as I do every morning, when I remembered and went to lego.com and you could backorder it for shipping by April 23rd but I also couldn't remember my password to lego.com and by the time I got back to my desktop it had gone from backorderable to just sold out. :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The good news is that these guys are together at last:

Few extra parts. I'll figure out where those go later. And the plaque wasn't in the box but it's somewhere. The stand for the plaque also wasn't in the box, it was in the garage for some reason, so the plaque is probably out there somewhere also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bird with big dick posted:

The good news is that these guys are together at last:

Few extra parts. I'll figure out where those go later. And the plaque wasn't in the box but it's somewhere. The stand for the plaque also wasn't in the box, it was in the garage for some reason, so the plaque is probably out there somewhere also.

Interlock their mouths.
Make them kiss.