Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

We have our answer to how one deals with the mines those cars carefully weaved between :stare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Military/c...web2x&context=3

Turns out carefully driving over them was the more dangerous option, the best solution was.... far simpler than one could imagine. But still, who the hell figured out this was safe first?

The pioneer corps usually clear these fast mine blockades with a long rope. Like, really long, 200 meters. It also shows if someone bothered to install any anti-tampering features. If not, or if they are your own mines, they only detonate if there is strong enough force to crush the dome on top of them. That's if you maintain them properly and the seals or grooves for the detonator cap aren't crap.

Its also the world's fastest road block; no-one is insane enough to try if the mines are for show only, or if they do have detonators installed. The enemy needs to stop, search the surroundings for ambush, and then clear the road, while you either run away or hit them from the sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

I assume they were an engineer unit who knew what the mines were and how to deal with them.

If I had to guess, they saw the mines unburied on a hard road and made a judgement call to just...kick them away.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Young Freud posted:

Someone pointed out the irony that the Russian avant-garde art is from Kazimir Malevich, an Ukrainian artist, and Igor Stravinsky, despite being born in St. Petersburg, came from an Ukrainian family.

Ah yes, but I kinda hate this too. Assigning someone's identity when they're dead and can't protest based on their blood sucks. The MoMA decided that Kabakov should be part of an exhibit on "Ukrainian art" despite the fact that he still identifies not as Ukrainian or Russian, but Soviet.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

If I had to guess, they saw the mines unburied on a hard road and made a judgement call to just...kick them away.

rear end in a top hat enemies still might have had enough time to use steel bar to pry the asphalt off under one or few, and put either a pinless hand grenade or antipersonnel mine underneath them, so the first trial should be done with the rope trick, if you are not in a hurry.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 1, 2022

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I get that of course. I was just wondering why, if thye're now buddies with China, are they also not picking China's stance which seems to be that the war is cool and good. But as Randarkman said, it could be that China just gives them enough leverage over russia to stick it to them, without suffering consequences.

Bit late to the Kazakhstan discussion but I read recently that China does not have really well-developed relations with Kazakhstan; it's primarily an economic relationship, while Kazakhstan - Russia security and political relations are much deeper. Which makes sense given how Kazakhstan was a part of the USSR for so long as well as the large Russian speaking population in the country.

quote:

Beijing’s long-standing policy of non-interference, as well as the belief that a solid economic presence will automatically lead to a favorable image and increased voice in local politics, are some of the reasons China must contend with a limited political role. With China’s growth, the strategy might alter; however, influence operations cannot be supported immediately by diplomatic, intelligence, and expert resources.

Recently, many regional policy trends – from Lithuania’s growing ties with Taiwan to ongoing events in Kazakhstan – have been viewed in Beijing solely through the prism of its global confrontation with Washington. This drastically obscures the picture on the ground, leaving China’s framing devoid of key details. Consequently, the political dynamics can be heavily distorted, leading Beijing to commit errors and leave itself politically vulnerable.

Xi Jinping’s verbal message to Tokayev appeared only a day after the Russian-led troops had begun operating in Kazakhstan. Presumably, Beijing chose this form of communication in a bid to get the latest information on the changes at the top, ideally from Tokayev himself. But against the background of a tense situation, China’s Ambassador Zhang Xiao met only with Kazakh Acting Foreign Minister Mukhtar Tileuberdi, which, perhaps, at lower level than Beijing had anticipated.

Xi’s message was silent on the CSTO operation. Yet, it included criticism of color revolutions and strong words against any forces that wished to “undermine Sino-Kazakh friendship and interfere with cooperation between the two countries.” The latter is rather strange, since anti-Chinese motives, although undoubtedly present in Kazakhstani public opinion, were practically a non-factor during the January protests.

According to local experts, over the past two years, Chinese diplomats in Central Asia have mostly asked questions regarding the role of NGOs and American and Turkish leverage in political processes. In addition to this general political bias, China’s poor understanding of internal power shifts is visible with respect to Kazakhstan. This can partially be explained by limited access to first-hand information. Since the start of the pandemic, Chinese diplomats have locked themselves in a diplomatic compound, with a minimum of external contacts. Furthermore, the opportunity to communicate with pundits was affected by the arrest and trial of the leading Kazakhstan sinologist, Konstantin Syroezhkin, who was accused of passing secret information to China.

As my contacts in Kazakhstan indicate, PRC Embassy officials have often preferred to contact loyal figures who only mirror the Chinese narrative but provide no knowledge of the actual situation in their country. We can assume that cables were sent to Beijing concerning the effectiveness of Chinese soft power, and occasional anti-Chinese demonstrations were attributed solely to U.S. interference.

Hence, it was predictable that the Chinese response to Kazakhstan’s recent unrest was reactive, lagging behind the swift pace of events, and certainly less informed than the Russian one. The crisis has highlighted the fact that unlike Russia, with its strong and long-standing ties with the political, military, and business elite, China remains in a certain information vacuum in Kazakhstan, rendering Beijing unable to predict power processes in a state with which it shares a 1,782-kilometer border.

Meanwhile, political volatility remains, due to the uncertainty of the course of reforms that Tokayev will now undertake, as well as how bargaining with Nazarbayev’s circle will proceed. Russia may certainly possess sensitive information that gives it an advantage in Central Asia. Still, Moscow can hardly be expected to share this information with China, especially if it is obtained through high-level contacts.

https://thediplomat.com/2022/01/after-kazakhstan-crisis-china-will-reassess-its-influence-in-central-asia/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1509948054383833090?t=T73JHVmFJ0GmhnmtST5FmQ&s=19

New Bellingcat dropped about how the FSB can't keep a secret from the people delivering their fast food orders.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

KitConstantine posted:

Be careful with your truths, sir. They'll be coming for you, perhaps sooner than you think
https://twitter.com/zanyfen/status/1509930976687890446?s=20&t=eEM9Uy2v9Sp15lnnhC_M5Q
I was going to get upset at tearing up books for a dumb TV spot, but then realized they're probably Constance Garnett translations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1509948054383833090?t=T73JHVmFJ0GmhnmtST5FmQ&s=19

New Bellingcat dropped about how the FSB can't keep a secret from the people delivering their fast food orders.

They also register their personal cars to the office address to avoid getting parking tickets.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just came across DJI's new pro drone, Matrice 30. Here's a pretty good overview of what it can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUME9wl6gc

It's expensive for a toy but by military standards even at $10k that seems like a nobrainer. It has
  • like 30-40 minutes flight time
  • 20x zoom
  • Thermal camera
  • Multipe controllers, remote antennas
  • Hot swap batteries
  • Various attachments (they say speaker or spotlight, maybe a laser target designaror or something?

E: added a picture for scale. I know I'd want one if I were hunting for lost T72s or whatever. The dock thing is optional.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Bit late to the Kazakhstan discussion but I read recently that China does not have really well-developed relations with Kazakhstan; it's primarily an economic relationship, while Kazakhstan - Russia security and political relations are much deeper. Which makes sense given how Kazakhstan was a part of the USSR for so long as well as the large Russian speaking population in the country.

https://thediplomat.com/2022/01/after-kazakhstan-crisis-china-will-reassess-its-influence-in-central-asia/

Thanks, that's an interesting article. It's of course not surprising that russia has a much closer relationship, but that's kind of why their string stance w/r/t/ Ukraine was so unexpected to me.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 1, 2022

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Rapulum_Dei posted:

They also register their personal cars to the office address to avoid getting parking tickets.

That's pretty funny, but it makes sense: no sane traffic cop is going to send a ticket to Lubyanka Street.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

I just came across DJI's new pro drone, Matrice 30.

And that it can be folded up quickly and thrown into a backpack is huge for a lot of units like what Ukraine has; small and in the field for days at a time looking for targets to ambush or avoid. They are small and quiet enough that they are basically undetectable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Russkii karabl, idi syuda

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Djarum posted:

And that it can be folded up quickly and thrown into a backpack is huge for a lot of units like what Ukraine has; small and in the field for days at a time looking for targets to ambush or avoid. They are small and quiet enough that they are basically undetectable.

Really cool drone. However, I'm not sure you'd want to put any equipment with GPS and other electronics manufactured in mainland China into top classified service within your armed forces (unless you're China).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

KitConstantine posted:

Be careful with your truths, sir. They'll be coming for you, perhaps sooner than you think
https://twitter.com/zanyfen/status/1509930976687890446?s=20&t=eEM9Uy2v9Sp15lnnhC_M5Q

any clues as to the point of origin on that video? I see there's an effort at a hashtag campaign, "#stophatingrussians", but twitter's design makes it impossible to gauge penetration or mapping.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Russian posted:

Really cool drone. However, I'm not sure you'd want to put any equipment with GPS and other electronics manufactured in mainland China into top classified service within your armed forces (unless you're China).

Supposedly it can work in offline mode so won't be able to phone home. Plus I think they're using Mavic alreayd anyway. Certainly a NATO drone would be preferable :)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Are any of the Ukrainian military forces , territorial defense brigades or foreign volunteers going to be paid for their service?
Maybe backpay after the war is over? I know its not about the money but they should get something.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Discendo Vox posted:

any clues as to the point of origin on that video? I see there's an effort at a hashtag campaign, "#stophatingrussians", but twitter's design makes it impossible to gauge penetration or mapping.

That video is a joke, right? Smashing up Russian dolls

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Are any of the Ukrainian military forces , territorial defense brigades or foreign volunteers going to be paid for their service?
Maybe backpay after the war is over? I know its not about the money but they should get something.

Of course they're getting paid. Why would you think they wouldn't be?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just read an utterly horrifying interview with a Belarusian woman who was captured with other Ukranians ans used as human shield. Kept in some basement for few days, than forced to march children first, than women than men. When shooting started dropped on the ground, some were killed. Recovered by UAF afterwards, much corpses of russians who kept them behind and around them. Barely made it to Poland.

https://news.zerkalo.io/life/12046.html

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Deteriorata posted:

Of course they're getting paid. Why would you think they wouldn't be?

I wasn't sure what sort of impact the war had on the Ukrainian economy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Alctel posted:

I don't think it is, but I can't figure out the specific source (presumably russian propaganda, but unlikely to be one of the open channels, and relatively sophisticated).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Alctel posted:

I lost my ability to tell the difference between jokes, bad faith misinformation, and good faith stupidity long ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Nice. They posted an English audio version too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLtv2exMbU

This is loving great.

"Or you can sell them on eBay"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

Well it's bad obviously but I don't think this would be an issue as IIRC US agreed on financial support for the government. If it doesnt' get stolen somewhere.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

An OSINT guy who specializes in mapping Russian forces launched a webpage. His cataloging efforts are getting upended by the Russians' reorientation, but the page is still slick. It's a good place to watch for when and where the withdrawn Russian units reappear.

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1509911575771197447

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

Other brands are available. https://www.unmannedsystemstechnology.com/2022/03/brinc-provides-drones-and-training-for-first-responders-in-ukraine/

quote:

The Washington Post has released an article detailing BRINC‘s donation of 10 specialized quadcopter Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) to Ukraine, along with a team of drone pilots who conducted a two-day training course with first responders, military officers and 10 others from the Ukrainian Emergency Service.

BRINC’s Lemur drone can be used to:

Soar above ridgelines and buildings to peer down at enemy forces
Feed targeting locations to artillery units
Provide reconnaissance information to commanders.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Alctel posted:

Here's a different ad with the same message posted by an official Russian twitter account a couple weeks ago
https://twitter.com/unesco_russia/status/1504827621342957572?s=20&t=5PZ7aHfjLiSVzi6MfWyqtw
No Russian dolls, just dog discrimination against a *Siberian* husky

Irony is dead my friend

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

"warning: low flying aircraft"

I’ve seen an “Aircraft crossing road” sign irl. Way the gently caress out in the Aleutians.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Here's a different ad with the same message posted by an official Russian twitter account a couple weeks ago
https://twitter.com/unesco_russia/status/1504827621342957572?s=20&t=5PZ7aHfjLiSVzi6MfWyqtw
No Russian dolls, just dog discrimination against a *Siberian* husky

Irony is dead my friend

That would have been something? If not for the fake smiles and husky trimph in the end

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So now that I'm posting in c-spam does that mean I have to take on a pro Russian approach to everything and wish death on all ukrainians?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mobby_6kl posted:

I just came across DJI's new pro drone, Matrice 30. Here's a pretty good overview of what it can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUME9wl6gc

It's expensive for a toy but by military standards even at $10k that seems like a nobrainer. It has
  • like 30-40 minutes flight time
  • 20x zoom
  • Thermal camera
  • Multipe controllers, remote antennas
  • Hot swap batteries
  • Various attachments (they say speaker or spotlight, maybe a laser target designaror or something?

E: added a picture for scale. I know I'd want one if I were hunting for lost T72s or whatever. The dock thing is optional.

Thanks, that's an interesting article. It's of course not surprising that russia has a much closer relationship, but that's kind of why their string stance w/r/t/ Ukraine was so unexpected to me.

You can also buy relatively cheap (as in four digits) "multi spectrum" cameras that can see UV, visible light, and IR all the way into thermal. They're used with drones for all kinds of fun stuff, like geological surveys to find where to put mines, and searching war zones for where mines were put. It's pretty cool tech with fairly sobering military implications.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In other news Lukashenka is either letting the Russians use his stuff or is making a very poor choice
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1509958752719589378?s=20&t=URNfmjVD86BhS3JBZjNTOg
They're apparently heading south from Minsk in the direction of the Ukrainian border.

Maybe Putin leaned on him and said it's time to do your part? If that's the case I don't think it's gonna end well for Lukashenka

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KitConstantine posted:

In other news Lukashenka is either letting the Russians use his stuff or is making a very poor choice
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1509958752719589378?s=20&t=URNfmjVD86BhS3JBZjNTOg
They're apparently heading south from Minsk in the direction of the Ukrainian border.

Maybe Putin leaned on him and said it's time to do your part? If that's the case I don't think it's gonna end well for Lukashenka

In some ways I hope this happens solely because it will destroy lukashenko's government. Let's hope the tdf gets a shitload of javelin so they can smoke all these loving shitanks

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So now that I'm posting in c-spam does that mean I have to take on a pro Russian approach to everything and wish death on all ukrainians?

No it means that your position is 'all war is bad and I wish it would stop' but somehow that only translates into saying that the solution is the Ukrainians should lay down their arms and surrender and never that the Russians should go home.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 1, 2022

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Anyone have any idea the quality of the Belarusian military? A couple of weeks ago I assumed "worse than the Russian army" but now I'm not so sure.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

The army personnel is generally paid "daily allowance" which while isn't great, its usually on the ballpark of social benefits or lowest-paying jobs, but its also tax free so its something. They are usually also protected by law or government reassurance from things like defaulting on housing loan payments and such, so that the service isn't insurmountable economic disaster for the people who are called for service during mobilization. It might not seem like it most of the time, but when the government declares a state of emergency and/or mobilizes the army, they tell the predatory banks and financing sector to sod off and actually mean it.

And yes, I know that this varies from country to country but this, I believe is the general principle at least in the systems I am aware off.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

SEE EDIT this seems like it might be BS

Looks like the fuel depot hit did it's job
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1509966846782578693?s=20&t=eEM9Uy2v9Sp15lnnhC_M5Q

Caveats on sourcing, but this account is usually pretty good BUT NOT THIS TIME

Edit: I think this might not be real based on my own investigations - link to the Russian database of administrative decrees
http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Search

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 1, 2022

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/04/biden-sanctions-russian-tech-companies-including-countrys-biggest-chipmaker/

Mikron and a whole bunch of other Russian tech companies just added to the US sanctions list.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

The army personnel is generally paid "daily allowance" which while isn't great, its usually on the ballpark of social benefits or lowest-paying jobs, but its also tax free so its something. They are usually also protected by law or government reassurance from things like defaulting on housing loan payments and such, so that the service isn't insurmountable economic disaster for the people who are called for service during mobilization. It might not seem like it most of the time, but when the government declares a state of emergency and/or mobilizes the army, they tell the predatory banks and financing sector to sod off and actually mean it.

And yes, I know that this varies from country to country but this, I believe is the general principle at least in the systems I am aware off.

No, they are being paid around 3400 usd before war or injury benefits. Which is not bad pre war and huge compared to 500 usd to a russian officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

"Russian warship go sell yourself!"